• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
28th of January 1942, 'Vosem', The Red Army's favourite radio station.
The 28th of January 1942, Leningrad, -9,5°C, 10pm Moscow Time,

Following an week-old invitation from 'Shest', and 'Vosem', I flew with 'Dva' to Leningrad to visit one of the Fourth department's most closely guarded secret. Upon landing, we were driven, in the dark, to a relatively small-looking building some 50m from one of the Radar Arrays who's shadows now dominate the landscape on the edges of Leningrad's largest Air Base. After walking through a narrow doorway, we found ourselves standing on a mezzanine looking out over a large and brightly lit room, with at it's centre a large map of the Soviet Union's Western border, from the Baltic to the Black sea. 'Vosem' and 'Shest' were waiting for us. Using one of his GRU cover identities, 'Shest' had made sure to outrank all the security staff on the site, and he soon ordered NKVD and GRU personnel on the mezzanine outside. This wasn't too hard as he only had to deal with the night shift at this hour. The mezzanine was closed off by thick glass, and was thus soundproof.

Down below, I noted that people were hard at work around the map, on one side was a battery of telephones with several operators working hard to take incoming calls, and transmit the information to colleagues near the map who took notes, and occasionally stood up to move or place counters on the map. On the other side, what looked like headphone-wearing radio-operators were hard at work finetuning what looked like massive radio receivers. On the far end of the room were at least ten desks with men and women hard at work listening to tapes and reading printed messages coming from the radio-operator types. On first sight, the radio-operators and the telephones could be explained as part of a high-level command post plotting the progress and positions of our units, but what were the men and women in the back doing? And why was the facility this secret.

I soon got my answers, when 'Vosem' proudly explained what I was looking at:

" 'Odin', 'Dva', thank you for coming. I know you are both very busy with other matters, but this is important, and revolutionary. Shortly after deploying our first large Radar station in Leningrad, some of the nation's best, and most trusted scientists and electronic Engineers came to visit the facilities, most were from Kharkov. A few months later, one of them wrote a letter to the GRU to explain how radar arrays could be modified and manipulated to eavesdrop on foreign military radio communications. You may have seen requests for Encryption and Decryption research pop up in the Committee research budgets. This research was not only meant to protect and unveil secrets in diplomatic circles, through wire-tapping and other espionage techniques. Maybe more importantly, it has helped us decode some of the codes used in foreign military radio communications within range of our Radar installations.

What you see below is the result, from radar stations, originally built to serve as early warning and guidance for the VVS, and Red Navy, in Leningrad, Smolensk, and Berezan, foreign radio communications are intercepted and partially, or entirely decrypted. The telephones on the right link this site with the two others and with a few cleared officials in the Kremlin who can get their information straight from the source. The radio equipment on the left, using antennas and arrays that are part of, or hard to notice additions to, our radar sites, can tune in to listen to foreign radio signals up to 650km away, or more in some cases. The men and women at the far end, spend their time decoding the messages intercepted by the technicians on the right.

All this information is placed on a map, identifying the type and number of units present and other intelligence gathered through this system. I'll let 'Shest' explain the security implications."
"Shest" was quite brief:

"This capability must remain a closely guarded secret, especially for those who's communications we are intercepting. However, the usefulness of the intelligence gathered here cannot be overstated, therefor it must reach all sorts of people, especially Military commanders and intelligence operators, but also diplomats and the like. This duality was solved quite easily by the GRU as all the intelligence gained here is attributed to several made-up espionage networks we're supposedly running in the German territories, Hungary, Romania, and Sweden. They received a series of fun code-names too... Besides leaving potential adversaries and traitors in the dark about our capabilities, it has an added benefit. There is a real chance that some traitor or spy will become aware of the goldmine of information provided by one of these so-called spy networks we supposedly have. A likely consequence would be a colossal waste of foreign manpower and resources as foreign intelligence services look for spies that simply aren't there."
"Vosem" jumped in with a couple of prints of pictures of the large map below, with extra indications typed on the sides to give a more complete picture.

RadarMap-min.jpg

"From the communications we have intercepted, the German codes are the toughest to crack, therefor we have only limited information, we know how many units the have on or near the front lines, but the type and make-up of all of them is not entirely certain. Romanian and Swedish encryption was a piece of cake, and we have exact data on the make-up of their divisions, and Air units, for the Hungarians, it seems they're not consistent, and their use of some German-inspired codes mean that we have a good but incomplete picture of their military units"
We all looked over the intelligence, and 'Dva' soon started thinking out loud:

"This still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. We know we can take out the Romanians, but the Germans look dangerous. The Division we have accurate intelligence on in Sweden could suggest that many of their Divisions are binary, and thus slightly weaker than our triangular units, on the defensive at least, but the fact remains that they have a lot of tanks, especially Heavy Tanks. In the number of Divisions the Red Army has 55 Divisions and 11 reinforced Corps HQs on the line, that gives us parity, or even superiority in numbers, but, the amount of German Armour could be tough on our Infantry. The lowest estimation of 14 Medium and Heavy Tank Units the Germans puts them even with our tank forces, and that's not even counting the fact that they have at least 4 Heavy Tank Units, and we have only 2, with very probably inferior machines. I'm not saying that they can win, but a war with Germany will really hurt, and it definitely won't be a short affair. It's a good thing that we have so many anti-tank guns, Tank-Destroyers, and Assault Bombers to counter their Panzers.

The Hungarians also seem to have mainly binary Divisions, which means that the 4th Army has similar numbers despite having three corps totalling 15 Divisions and 3 reinforced HQs. This is echoed by the latest report I've seen from Col. General Volskiy.

Thank you 'Vosem' and 'Shest' for inviting us here, this facility is quite impressive, and could give us a significant edge in the war to come. Of course, it is entirely possible German scientists have come up with the same use for radar stations, and are actively decoding our messages, in which case not having this capability would put us at a serious disadvantage. I have to go now, there is still a lot to look over, see you in Vologda."
'Vosem' decided to start telling me intricate technical details, and before my head exploded I headed out as well. Excusing myself, as it was getting late

I hope this new and improved intelligence will help you gauge our chances in case of an Axis invasion of the Soviet Union.

Greetings,

'Odin'

A small announcement that's not immediately relevant:
I recently found out that following the re-organisation of the Red Army's officer corps with personal ranks, in 1940, the ranks looked like this:
Brigade Commander: Colonel
Division Commander: Maj. General
Corps Commander: Lt. General
Army Commander: Col. General
Front Commander: General (of the Army)
Theatre/Service Branch Commander: Marshall/Chief Marshall/Marshall of the Soviet Union
Supreme Commander: Marshall of the Soviet Union
There were, of course exceptions, notable Brigades (especially independent Guards Brigades) were sometimes commanded by Maj. Generals, armies were sometimes commanded by experienced Lt. Generals, and Fronts sometimes by Marshalls etc. I will be following this instead of in-game ranks from now on. It should also be noted that Red Army Fronts were smaller than my 'Army Groups'... I'm sure this will come-up again.

It's quite tough to make a decent-looking black on white map out of HOI3 screenshots... I gave it a try anyways using 'strength' map-mode as a base... The detail in the counters is faded due to the colour and contrast manipulations, but I think it looks ok considering what I had to work with...

Also... top of the page...

Last edited:
If you had MS PowerPoint, you can copy and paste any screenshot into that, change the colours (and do anything else you want to with it) and then copy it back into Paint or whatever you’re using. I’ve used that to adapt colour pics and graphics quite successfully without killing the detail, without using any fancy graphics program. It should work on maps, using the standard map view to have it look reasonably white. :)

That looks like it took a lot of work! The aesthetic is great, too; I would print that out and stick it on the wall, but I think it would upset the better half.

All those HARM concentrated in one place sure got my heart rate up a bit. They aren't a major threat on their own, but we should still recognize that our line is most likely to buckle there and plan for contingencies accordingly.

The first STR wing is a welcome addition; Wehrmacht lives off of its logistics, and what better way to deny it than massive bombs? Half-tracks seem to be coming on quite well, a massive boon, and as usual, I love the tech details about the new militia mortar.
Massive bombs sound like a great way to ruin the Wehrmacht's logistics... The Cavalry is quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with, the fastest units in the Red Army, and definitely not the weakest, Artillery production is also immense and with practicals going through the roof, every Rifle Division in the Red Army will have it's dedicated Artillery Regiment sooner rather than later... Always glad to oblige with some detail on the weapons that appear in the game...

If you had MS PowerPoint, you can copy and paste any screenshot into that, change the colours (and do anything else you want to with it) and then copy it back into Paint or whatever you’re using. I’ve used that to adapt colour pics and graphics quite successfully without killing the detail, without using any fancy graphics program. It should work on maps, using the standard map view to have it look reasonably white. :)
The problem is that I wanted to kill detail in the map, but not in the counters... I know... Simply going from colour to b/w (In any of three different ways) rendered a map that was too textured (props to paradox for making the map that textured in every mode). The aim was to make a map that didn't have the noise and texture in every province, to give it the feel of a map that was drawn and/or printed on white paper at the time. An alternative would have been to cut out all the counters out and place them in another layer before I reduced the noise and contrast for purely aesthetic reasons, in hindsight, I might do that next time I endeavour such a project. I might also try out Powerpoint, to see what results that gives me, as per your suggestion.

That looks like it took a lot of work! The aesthetic is great, too; I would print that out and stick it on the wall, but I think it would upset the better half.
It took several days, and I had several versions... In the end I went for aesthetics. All this experimentation is helping me get a better grasp on Gimp and image-treatment software in general, this should help me make better looking graphics for my studies. I purposefully challenge myself to experiment when I have the time, trying out different styles and routes, the HOI3 map in any mode is quite a tricky beast... especially if you want to really change the aesthetic and not just add some information etc. I'm happy you would consider hanging it on your wall, though I do prefer you keep your better half non-upset...

All those HARM concentrated in one place sure got my heart rate up a bit. They aren't a major threat on their own, but we should still recognize that our line is most likely to buckle there and plan for contingencies accordingly.
The Red Army on our German Border is controlled through two Army Groups (AI Controlled), troops are spread between the army groups following the perceived balance of forces. Right now, they make up 11 Rifle Corps and are split 6-5 between north and south. Behind the lines many reserves are ready to be added to one of the two Army Groups. But you might remember that from the OOB update some time ago. In particular, our Guards Corps, with two Gds HARM Divisions and 3 Gds RIfle Divisions, is dug in around Lwow, so in the way of a thrust for the Ukrainian Plains...

More importantly, we may need to review the role of TDs in our Rifle Corps, for now they have been attached to the Corps HQ (which also has 2xInf), considering what we've seen in Finland, and what I've seen in a previous game as well as on this forum, is that attaching fighting units to HQs will only work defensively when said HQ is run by AI, HQ's try to stay out of trouble. I've been wondering whether the TD Regiment shouldn't be moved to one of the regular Rifle Divisions, switching it out with it's AT Regiment, which would go to the HQ... My reasoning for adding units to the Corps HQ was to have units that the AI would try to hold back, thus, when a breakthrough occurs, and Panzers catch a Corps HQ out in the open, it's actually a Binary Division with some fighting power. In theory, this provides some local defence in depth, and thus time for the AI to bring in other units to bridge the gap. It also saves a lot on officers, and leaders, as you can fit more troops within each corps. Last minute changes can still be made, the anticipation of oncoming war is relentless yet never-ending... the cold war continues...

Last edited:
PS: just got to look at the map on a proper screen, rather than my phone - nice job, whatever the method used! I've actually found PowerPoint to be quite a decent 'light editor' for AAR images, and it scales pretty well when you change the size. I like to standardise the size of my pics (not so much screenies) and have templates saved in a PP file in standard sizes, against which I just resize images copied over from Paint. All very low tech. But PP does have a few basic colour, shading and texture tools etc. Maybe Gimp (which I'm not familiar with) has better. Copying all the counters is going to be hard work though ... :eek:

29th of January 1942, 'Odin', 10-day report #185
The 29th of January 1942, Vologda, -11,0°C, 10am Moscow Time,

Report on the state of the Soviet Union for the ten day period between the 20th and the 29th of January 1942,

by 'Odin'

Army:
2 new Artillery Regiments were deployed to 41 SD and 31 SD on the German Border.
364. MGvSP has finished retraining and are now fully equipped with their brand new half-tracks, renamed 364. BGvSP, the unit has rejoined Maj. General Kurkin's 5. GvTD

Army numbers (Brigades/Personnel) Reserves included (these numbers don't include regiments being upgraded):
Front line troops: 674 / 2.022.000
Support troops: 319 / 319.000
Total fighting troops: 993 / 2.341.000
Headquarters: 63 / 63.000
Total Army Personnel: 1.056 / 2.404.000
Officers: 98.530 + / 104.860 needed / 93,963 %
Active Leaders: 274 / 222 more available
3 new Artillery Regiments have started training while 152mm ML-20 guns production has once more been expanded to provide them with guns.
Air Force:
No changes in the VVS nor the Navy Air Fleet for the last 10 days​

Navy:
No changes to the Navy for the last 10 days.​

Politics / International:
Partisans in Poland
Germany has taken back control of Skierniewice, the lack of news from 'Odinatsat' is rather worrying in this respect.
Battle Of Britain
The Air War remains subdued with only a few skirmishes over the channel
British North Africa Front
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 1,9 / 87,6
Italy (Surrender Progress / NU): 5,90 / 79,4
BNAF42-01-29-min.jpeg

Despite the heroic efforts of British HQ staffers, the British 2nd Armoured Division was shattered due to supply shortages, heavy pressure from German King Tigers and bombardement by the Regia Aeronautica. Despite this colossal setback, it seems newly increasing success in sinking Italian supply convoys, and the heavy fighting have depleted Italian supply and/or fuel reserves, and outnumbered British Infantry is pushing towards Bengasi again. Derna has already been recovered. Both German Heavy Armour and Italian Motorised troops are pulling back from the front.
In other news, the Regia Marina decided to have a turkey-shoot in the Southern Adriatic Sea, shooting up the Yugoslav ghost transport fleet and sinking a total of about 25 ships at least...
South East Asia Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 8,4 / 85,9
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 1,9 / 77,6
Philippines (Surrender Progress / NU): 14,9 / 74,8
Japan (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,00 / 70,2
PHFN42-01-29-min.jpeg

It seems a third Japanese unit was spotted on Luzon Island, it has started moving in an East-South-Eastern direction towards Legaspi, facing no opposition, and taking the province of San Lorenzo. The northward advance has stopped, with IJN Marines turning back for some reason that has nothing to do with armed opposition...
PHFS42-01-29-min.jpeg

A sizeable chunk of Mindanao has now been conquered by a lone Division of Imperial Marines, who are marching into Davao as we speak, all intelligence indicates the island is void of Allied troops.
The IJN has sent a 2-Carrier CTF, a 3-Big-gunship SAG into the Tambelan Passage and the Singapore Strait, another Japanese fleet with at least 1 Carrier may also be in the area. The results have been devastating for the Allies. Ryujo sank both a French and a British Submarine Flotilla, Amagi sank another French Submarine Flotilla, and Akagi sank the Australian 1st Destroyer Flotilla. Naval battles are ongoing, and they seem to seriously favour the Japanese.
Pacific Front
Nothing seems to be happening in the Pacific right now, having taken all the Islands between Midway and Japan, the Japanese seem content concentrating their forces on South-East Asia
Industry:
Working Industrial Capacity / available capacity: 240 / 324
IC Usage: ( Allocated IC / Need )
Upgrades: 13,00 / 19,92
Reinforcement: 1,80 / 2,78
Supplies: 30,00 / 47,75
Production: 250,04 / 278,39 (the Licensed MP remains mostly unfunded, as well as two Mountain Rifle Divisions and 10. TTGvD)
Consumer Goods: 29,16 / 29,16​
Stockpiles:
Energy: Maximum tonnes +
Metal: Maximum tonnes +
Rares: 45.345 tonnes +
Crude: Maximum barrels +
Supplies: 37.812 tonnes -
Fuel: Maximum barrels +
Money: 1.763 -
Intelligence:
Spy numbers, spies in (active / added / lost / caught by us)
France (Supporting our Party / Counterespionage): 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
{ Germany (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 1 }
{ Japan (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
UK (/) : 10 / 0 / 0 / 0
Other: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Total: 15 / 0 / 0 / 1
Reserves: 3
Spy training leadership expenditure: 0,64 (a new spy every 10 days)
Another spy from Germany was caught in the Soviet Union.
Research:
A brand new Small Air Search Radar (Level 2) design is ready for mass production, it is to be integrated into single-engine air-frames across the VVS and the Navy Air Fleet.
The Electronic Engineers are now concentrating on improving Radar (Level 2) technology in general, especially improving the detection range and precision of large fixed Radar Stations.
After being neglected since the end of the Great War, the Ground Crews of our Tactical Bombardment wings have received new and improved Training (Level 1), shortening the time needed for, and the quality of, repairs. The impact on morale should be significant.
Research in this area continues to bring our Tactical Bomber Ground Crew Training (Level 2) into line with those of smaller Aeroplanes.

No changes in LS distribution
Statistics:
National Unity: 83,241 =
Neutrality: 0,00 =
Dissent: 0,00 =
Manpower:
Available: 2.155.000
Men To reinforce(need): 3.020
Men To mobilise(need): See above
Monthly gain: 48.200 Men (1 fully mobilised Infx3, AT Division every 7 days)​
No changes in Party Popularity for the last 10 days.
No changes in Party Organisation for the last 10 days.
This Information is accurate on the morning of the 29th of January 1942, I hope it serves you well in fine-tuning your possible suggestions.

'Odin'​

Air search radars, nice! Radar improvements in general should be another nice boost to the VVS. Training is also a great force multiplier.

RE swapping out the TDs for AT, I think that would be a good idea, but rather than burden the TD regiments with foot infantry, perhaps it would be possible to add to our highly maneuverable ranks by training motorized infantry and utilize the already existing TDs to provide heavy firepower and some armour? Our current setup is IIRC MOTx3, ENG, SPART, but I don't think adding some where the SPART has been replaced by TD is a bad call. Less soft attack, sure, but more hard attack and toughness, plus some armour. I know our production capabilities are pretty maxed out at the moment, but the practicals should be pretty high. I reckon we could build an additional motorized corps or two with the TD we have no problem, probably more.

PS: just got to look at the map on a proper screen, rather than my phone - nice job, whatever the method used! I've actually found PowerPoint to be quite a decent 'light editor' for AAR images, and it scales pretty well when you change the size. I like to standardise the size of my pics (not so much screenies) and have templates saved in a PP file in standard sizes, against which I just resize images copied over from Paint. All very low tech. But PP does have a few basic colour, shading and texture tools etc. Maybe Gimp (which I'm not familiar with) has better. Copying all the counters is going to be hard work though ... :eek:
I use Gimp mostly, and I do somewhat standardise the size of my pictures (though there are many standards depending on the type of pic and the type of update...). Gimp has a sizeable assortment of colour and texture tools, though they aren't all very intuitive... which is why I've been experimenting for a while now to figure out exactly what it can and can't do, and how... See the evolution and variation in my various customised maps up to now. You're right, selecting and cutting all the counters would be a pain, though there may be alternatives to that.

RE swapping out the TDs for AT, I think that would be a good idea, but rather than burden the TD regiments with foot infantry, perhaps it would be possible to add to our highly maneuverable ranks by training motorized infantry and utilize the already existing TDs to provide heavy firepower and some armour? Our current setup is IIRC MOTx3, ENG, SPART, but I don't think adding some where the SPART has been replaced by TD is a bad call. Less soft attack, sure, but more hard attack and toughness, plus some armour. I know our production capabilities are pretty maxed out at the moment, but the practicals should be pretty high. I reckon we could build an additional motorized corps or two with the TD we have no problem, probably more.
Our current Motorised forces consist of 1 Corps of Motx3, TD, Eng, and 2 Corps of Motx3, Eng, SP Art (One of the 10 Divisions doesn't have an SP Art, yet.). The Corps HQs of these have Motx2, Eng, and Motx2, TD attached respectively. In production we have 2 Motx3, Eng, SP Art Divisions. After these two it would be possible to swap out SP Art for TD in the next run, either in production, or by redeploying existing TDs.

Unlike SP Art (which besides superior mobility only has some extra defensiveness and toughness compared with Art) TD also has an armour rating of 4 (both AT and SP Art have 0 Armour), and it's also better at both soft attack and hard attack than AT, and it has a lower softness, though I doubt that does much in TFH. This makes TD significantly better both Defensively and Offensively than AT, moreover, TD is slower than Mot, thus slowing it down, not to mention the worse terrain penalties. Both in speed and in terrain penalties, SP Art is a better match for Mot, especially if it is supposed to be as fast as possible. Therefor, the plan was to eventually have 3 corps of Motx3, Eng, SP Art, and 2 Corps of slower, but stronger Motx3, Eng, TD. Research in H Arm and Arm Armour will only slow down TD, and unless I purposefully weaken the tanks, TD will gradually become slower. From it's current max speed of 7.25 kph, to 7 or lower after this year's research, after the 1944 research round, it could go as low as 6.5 kph. (I might skip this round of Arm Armour to speed up the T-34s a bit, but that would be a one-time thing. I try to keep H Arm slightly above 4 kph.

As for cost, TD costs the same as 5 AT, about 5% more than SP Art, and about 3 Art, but still 3/4 of Arm, and with similar Defensiveness, better Hard Attack, and Piercing attack than the latter. For sheer tank-killing potential only H Arm does better, but that's more than twice as expensive. (Arm and H Arm have other advantages, of course, there is a reason why it's cheaper).

All these factors made me conclude that TD would be the unit of choice to beef up the standard Rifle Corps against enemy tanks. As the AI is running the show, I won't be running mobile firefighting corps up and down the front to specifically target Armoured breakthrough attempts. Strengthening a Division in each Corps thus increases the chances that a unit with TD is present, or close-by where-ever the Panzers come... Maybe one in each corps is too much, and half of them should go to the Motorised forces? We have 22 standard Rifle Corps that have been fitted with TDs, 11 facing Germany, 3 facing Hungary, and 8 in Reserve.

Aw, darn. I haven't played HoI3 in a while, and it shows. Didn't remember the speed is so bad. Slapping them onto standard Rifle divisions should be good, then. The armour and stats should be rather welcome.

Aw, darn. I haven't played HoI3 in a while, and it shows. Didn't remember the speed is so bad. Slapping them onto standard Rifle divisions should be good, then. The armour and stats should be rather welcome.
Well, if you don't research H Arm and/or Arm Armour TD can be really fast, but then you have to actually aim for that... If you want really fast AT-capability without penalising the tanks, you can always use Mot-AA though that means researching AA as well off course...

8th of February 1942, 'Odin', 10-day report #186
The 8th of February 1942, Vologda, -10,8°C, 10am Moscow Time,

Report on the state of the Soviet Union for the ten day period between the 30th of January and the 8th of February 1942,

by 'Odin'

Army:
96. AP, another Artillery Regiment has been deployed, along with it's full complement of 152mm ML-20s and 122mm A-19s. Maj.
The Guards Riflemen of 391. MGvSP have finished retraining and are now fully equipped with their brand new half-tracks, renamed 391. BGvSP, the unit has rejoined Maj. General Galitski's 7. GvTD,. All five of our Motorised Guards Rifle Regiments have now been reformed into Armoured Guards Rifle Units, this has made our elite Guards Tank Corps even more potent.

Army numbers (Brigades/Personnel) Reserves included (these numbers don't include regiments being upgraded):
Front line troops: 675 / 2.025.000
Support troops: 320 / 320.000
Total fighting troops: 995 / 2.345.000
Headquarters: 63 / 63.000
Total Army Personnel: 1.058 / 2.408.000
Officers: 99.030 + / 105.060 needed / 94,260 %
Active Leaders: 274 / 222 more available
Artillery pieces and gunners continue to be churned out and trained at a very high rate, and thus another Regiment has already started forming (alongside the 17 already in various stages of the training and production process).
Air Force:
No changes in the VVS nor the Navy Air Fleet for the last 10 days​

Navy:
No changes to the Navy for the last 10 days.​

Politics / International:
A classified GRU report indicates that the UK has started receiving Lend-Lease aid from the USA, from our limited intelligence, the amount of materiel produced by the Americans for the British war effort is equal to Britain's own production. 5 new Aircraft Carriers will be built by US shipyards for the Royal Navy, based on British blueprints, while American Aeroplane factories are churning out the Sea Gladiators that will serve on board, a nice addition to the now 4 KGV Battleships in production in the UK. Moreover, it seems that huge numbers of American-built half-tracks and Lorries have started arriving in the British isles, as well as some more tanks. It seems the RAF was not left wanting either with wave after wave of american-built Wellington Tactical Bombers.
It seems the USA has decided to bankroll the British empire to such an extent that the Brits will soon (theoretically) be able to successfully fight the Allies' war almost on it's own, rather than sending GI Joe's into harm's way... The fact that they are mobilising industrial assets equivalent to more than 80% of the Soviet Union's entire Industrial might in their efforts to supply their main ally with war material is as impressive as it is worrying... who knows how many factories they have to help out the French, the Canadians, and to quietly beef up their own forces in case the UK can't get the job done?

Battle Of Britain
There was a single German bombing raid on Bristol, the Luftwaffe's bombers were intercepted by RAF interceptors over Reading, just north of Portsmouth, on their way back to the fatherland. They must have received a good thrashing as no further German bombing missions were flow during the entire following week. There was also a single Air Battle over Dortmund, during which Strategic Bomber Command seems to have been more than decimated without hitting a single target of value with their bombs.
A strong Royal Navy task force has returned to the North Sea as well to try and catch a new German U-boot wolf-pack that sunk two small convoys. With a now seemingly endless supply of US-built Liberty ships to replace losses, and countless U-boots already permanently submerged, much of the sting has left the war of the Atlantic. The German submariners are the ones who should really be worried here...
North Africa Front:
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 1,9 / 87,6
Italy (Surrender Progress / NU): 5,90 / 79,4
BNAF42-02-08-min.jpeg

British and French submarines, as well as a small Royal Navy Surface Task Force consisting of HMS Sussex and a couple of Destroyers, continue to sink Italian convoys, four in the last ten days, and from the front's movements our analysts presume that Italy had previously run out of convoys all-together, unless it was using them to honour a trade route with some small central American country... In any case, the impact at the front is quite clear, both Italian light Tanks, and German Heavy Tanks have retreated towards their supply base while the three-province-wide front is manned by two Italian Motorised/Cavalry Divisions.
The British 1st Army was unable to take advantage of this, despite being fully supplied, it's only mobile Division (2nd Armoured) being lost, it is also holding all British-held Naval Bases west of the Suez Canal. One of the Italian Divisions managed to find enough fuel to roll into the province of El Mechili, left vacant by the British Army.
The two Infantry Divisions at the front are still recovering from the heavy fighting surrounding the encirclement of 2nd Armoured Division. Reinforcements have arrived in the form of a single Indian Division that was dropped by the Royal Navy in El Iskandarîya. By the time the fresh troops get to the front, the stalemate will be back, as the heavily damaged infrastructure on the Italian side of the front will have been repaired, and the Italians may even have re-established supply.
South East Asia Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 8,5 / 85,8
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 1,9 / 77,6
Philippines (Surrender Progress / NU): 59,3 / 75,0 (Loss of Clark Field and Davao)
Japan (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,00 / 70,2
The Imperial Marines on Luzon have walked into the undefended US Air Base of Clark Field, giving the Japanese Air Forces another well-placed base, both to hasten the fall of the Phillippines, and to harass Allied ships. They are also threatening to cut the island in two, cutting off the Philippino units guarding Cagayan. (A region where no gold is to be found... but it's sounds worth defending... Also in Paradox-world, there is actual gold there, though it may also represent the agricultural land and wealthy plantations of the wider area first set up by the Spanish in the 16th century)
PHFN42-02-08-min.jpeg

With the port of Legaspi now firmly in Japanese hands, the IJA shipped in three more of it's Infantry Divisions, under close watch of the IJN, of course. One of the new Divisions seems to be equipped with lightly armoured lorries which could make them more mobile, dependent of Infrastructure and terrain of course. The fresh units have only just started moving, so it is hard to measure the effects of the Japanese reinforcements as of yet.
PHFS42-02-08-min.jpeg

After having taken over Davao, the IJN Marines on Mindanao turned towards the North. They may well be going towards the Island of Leyte, and Tacloban city.
The big Naval battles around Singapore have ended, with a further two 'Flotille de Sous-Marins' being sunk by Kaga's Air Wing. Naval battles are ongoing, and they seem to seriously favour the Japanese. The convoy war continues with both sides sinking around 15 convoys in and around the South China Sea and Indonesia. Japan also expanded it's actions to the Indian ocean, west of Sri Lanka, though the RN seems right on it's tail after it lost 2 more convoys there. There has been no further surface action though it is only a matter of time before the Royal Navy and the IJN find each other in Battle Again, hopefully on more favourable terms for the Royal Navy the next time around...
Pacific Front
All is quiet on the Pacific front.
Industry:
Nowgorodek Air Base now has two fully hardened runways, as well as fortified concrete control tower. (Level 4)
Kharkov Air Base received a secondary Airstrip and some Hangars. (Level 3)
Berezan Air Base is now just as large as Moskva's, with 5 fully hardened runways, spread over three sites, large maintenance facilities, Ammunition storage bunkers, administrative buildings, etc. it can house between 1.000 and 1.300 Aeroplanes, depending on their size, and that of the crews. (Level 10)
Kaunas Air Base has gotten a third Airstrip, a concrete taxiway, and an officer's mess (Level 5). Work continues as the new Airstrip is being lengthened and hardened. (Level 6)
Orel Air Base is being fitted with a secondary Airstrip and a few maintenance hangars. (Level 3)
Minsk Air Base will get a third Airstrip, concrete taxiways and a pilot's mess. (Level 5)
Nowogrodek Air Base is getting it's final expansion with the hardening of the 5th runway and the construction of administrative buildings, as well as various miscellaneous structures and improvements meant to stretch the base's resilience and capacity to it's limits. (Level 10)
Production of electronic equipment has restarted, soon we will have the equipment to set up a new Radar Station, or improve existing ones.

Working Industrial Capacity / available capacity: 240 / 324
IC Usage: ( Allocated IC / Need )
Upgrades: 13,60 / 19,10
Reinforcement: 1,30 / 1,88
Supplies: 30,00 / 48,63
Production: 249,94 / 278,39 (the Licensed MP remains mostly unfunded, as well as two Mountain Rifle Divisions and 10. TTGvD)
Consumer Goods: 29,16 / 29,16​
Stockpiles:
Energy: Maximum tonnes +
Metal: Maximum tonnes +
Rares: 45.599 tonnes +
Crude: Maximum barrels +
Supplies: 38.073 tonnes +
Fuel: Maximum barrels +
Money: 1.763 -
Intelligence:
Spy numbers, spies in (active / added / lost / caught by us)
France (Supporting our Party / Counterespionage): 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
{ Germany (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 1 }
{ Japan (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
UK (/) : 10 / 0 / 0 / 0
Other: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Total: 15 / 0 / 0 / 1
Reserves: 4
Spy training leadership expenditure: 0,64 (a new spy every 10 days)
Another spy from Germany was caught in the Soviet Union.
Research:
No completed research projects, no new ones, for the last 10 days.
No changes in LS distribution
Statistics:
National Unity: 83,241 =
Neutrality: 0,00 =
Dissent: 0,00 =
Manpower:
Available: 2.155.000
Men To reinforce(need): 3.020
Men To mobilise(need): See above
Monthly gain: 48.200 Men (1 fully mobilised Infx3, AT Division every 7 days)​
No changes in Party Popularity for the last 10 days.
No changes in Party Organisation for the last 10 days.
This Information is accurate on the morning of the 8th of February 1942, I hope it serves you well in fine-tuning your possible suggestions.

'Odin'​

Last edited:
Holy hell, that's a lot of Lend-Lease. If earlier on the Axis-Allies fight in Europe was somewhat in balance, this will swing the advantage squarely on the Allied side. Unless the Japanese achieve an overwhelming victory, that is, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. If Italy is pushed out of North Africa entirely, and the IJA and IJN start crumbling, it may be the time to declare war and sweep in to take as much territory as we can before the inevitable Axis surrender. Same conclusion if the Allies manage to make an amphibious landing in mainland Europe that is not thrown back to the sea quickly. As good as it is that the Brits and Americans are doing the actual fighting and dying, we don't want the industrial heartlands of Germany to fall into their hands.

If the Japanese ARE focused on the Pacific and the Philippines a stab for mainland Asia might NOT be out of the order IF we think our Western Borders can hold up against an attack from the European Axis powers. After all the Japanese would call in their partners. As for a Allied D-Day...I prefer NOT to wait for "Good Luck" to help us and I think we should plan for operations we can do on our OWN and on our own Timetable. LET us not plan around OTHER people's actions.

Holy hell, that's a lot of Lend-Lease. If earlier on the Axis-Allies fight in Europe was somewhat in balance, this will swing the advantage squarely on the Allied side. Unless the Japanese achieve an overwhelming victory, that is, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. If Italy is pushed out of North Africa entirely, and the IJA and IJN start crumbling, it may be the time to declare war and sweep in to take as much territory as we can before the inevitable Axis surrender. Same conclusion if the Allies manage to make an amphibious landing in mainland Europe that is not thrown back to the sea quickly. As good as it is that the Brits and Americans are doing the actual fighting and dying, we don't want the industrial heartlands of Germany to fall into their hands.
The Americans aren't doing much dying either... The new production from the newly increased lend-lease contract will take some time to materialise, especially as the UK is spending it on more expensive items like Aircraft Carriers and Armoured Infantry. I'd expect the first Armoured Infantry Division to appear on the stage in late 1942, as for the Carriers, those probably won't be used before 1943. I agree that if the Allies gain a serious foothold in Europe and the surrender of the Axis becomes inevitable, (despite the fact that they didn't attack us)... However, I wouldn't discount the Axis just yet, the troops on the Soviet border do look impressive, and despite operations in SE Asia and the Pacific, the Japanese troops guarding the Manchukuo border haven't moved much, implying that all the units used in the Pacific and SE Asia come from elsewhere, either fresh units or reserves from Korea or the mainland... They have a lot of firepower in reserve... Right now, the IJN seems to have a slight upper hand in SE Asia, though once those 5 new British Carriers will come into play, I'm sure we'll see the tide shift. The real question is just how far the Japs will go while they have the advantage. Indonesia and Malaysia are up for grabs, as is French Indochina, but the Japanese seem to want to first concentrate on the Philippines before making more serious inroads.

If the Japanese ARE focused on the Pacific and the Philippines a stab for mainland Asia might NOT be out of the order IF we think our Western Borders can hold up against an attack from the European Axis powers. After all the Japanese would call in their partners. As for a Allied D-Day...I prefer NOT to wait for "Good Luck" to help us and I think we should plan for operations we can do on our OWN and on our own Timetable. LET us not plan around OTHER people's actions.
For us to hold against the European Axis, I'd like some more Artillery and Half-tracks there, though we can probably hold them as is. As for our forces in the Far East, they are still outnumbered by the IJA on mainland Asia. Xibei San Ma, Yunnan, and Guanxi Clique are in the Axis corner and the slightest increase in threat will lead to them joining on the Japanese side, this may or may not be sufficiently counterbalanced by Mongolia, Tannu Tuva and Sinkiang's forces. Also the Chinese Communists are getting closer to joining the Comintern, though their neutrality is still too high. Nationalist China is still too mad about partial Japanese occupation to contemplate joining the Axis in earnest, though they don't seem to like the alternatives either (I went into some serious detail on this in my Sinkiang post). If we are not struck by the Germans this summer (or the next), the safe time to strike, and blow this whole thing wide open in our favour, would be such a time when Japan, Germany, or both have already started pulling units from our border to fight the Allies, the soon to be very powerful British Empire + sidekicks and financiers... Alternatively, if all that takes too long, we will probably be able to strike confidently in the Summer of 1943.
To strike the Axis in Asia we would, ideally, need a couple more Rifle Corps and a few more of our Amur Tiger Cavalry Divisions.

For propaganda and narrative purposes, we would also need a good reason to strike. 'If we don't strike now, the Allies will get all the good bits' or 'If we strike now, we can probably get the good bits' won't cut it. We are not greedy imperialists after all, we actually care about the people and won't go to war for bourgeois motives like resource gathering or world domination... (maybe we would, be we need to tell another story, we're not the bad guys here, we're a brand new state cleared by our own Propaganda Press of any sin, we want to make the world a better place, for everyone, or at least that's what we want to at least put to the people of the Soviet Union and foreig governments at large)

An attack on Xibei San Ma could remain contained, and it could be explained as enforcing fictional land-claims by Sinkiang, or semi-real ones by Communist China, on the Chinese mainland, this would in theory only be likely to pull us into a global war with the Axis, as once XSM joins the Axis it will already be at war and would thus have to ask the other Axis members to join it's war... which they may or may not accept. If we can get XSM that way, we can take all of the remaining Nationalist territory in the follow-up... However, this would mean pulling some more reserves, or training new troops to break through the Nationalist lines. No one is guaranteeing XSM or Nat China, taking over XSM actually seems feasible, The fighting could probably be done by Sinkiang, and a single soviet Mountain Rifle Corps. We have no Air Bases within range and infrastructure is beyond atrocious. The fighting may remain limited, as Germany may keep out of Asian business... Japan is very likely to back XSM though, so we could really still get into serious trouble in the Far East...

Persia and Afghanistan are also up for grabs, but that seems even tougher to Justify, otherwise Turkey and Sweden could also figure on the list, but their strategic importance will probably trigger a war with Germany anyway. If we want an all-out fight we have a decent casus belli against Germany, with the Illegitimate Finnish government being housed in Berlin, and the smuggling of old German weapons to Finnish partisans, which was at least tolerated by German authorities.

Last edited:
XSM for Sinkiang actually sounds like a very credible pretext for war in mainland Asia. We should assist our ally in reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. We intended to only limit it to local border changes (ie. XSM) instead of the whole China they claim as theirs, but since the rest of the Chinese states joined in... Perhaps they can be amicably divided between Sinkiang and Communist China to satisfy the claims of both parties, unify China and bring peace and stability to the region. In Europe, well, most of Poland is still occupied, and the workers of Germany and Czechoslovakia still suffer under the fascist regime. Is it cosmetic in the eyes of an unbiased observer, probably, but certainly less so than Axis declarations of war so far, and I don't think the Allies would look too closely at our story as long as it brought us into conflict with the Axis.

For propaganda and narrative purposes, we would also need a good reason to strike. 'If we don't strike now, the Allies will get all the good bits' or 'If we strike now, we can probably get the good bits' won't cut it. We are not greedy imperialists after all, we actually care about the people and won't go to war for bourgeois motives like resource gathering or world domination... (maybe we would, be we need to tell another story, we're not the bad guys here, we're a brand new state cleared by our own Propaganda Press of any sin, we want to make the world a better place, for everyone, or at least that's what we want to at least put to the people of the Soviet Union and foreig governments at large)

Day X in Pravda : "Eurasia is at war with Eastasia and has always been at war with Eastasia.
Day X+1 in Pravda : "Eurasia is at war with Oceania and has always been at war with Oceania."

Problem solved ;)

Day X in Pravda : "Eurasia is at war with Eastasia and has always been at war with Eastasia.
Day X+1 in Pravda : "Eurasia is at war with Oceania and has always been at war with Oceania."

Problem solved ;)
Day X+2 in Pravda: "Some foreign agents and sympathizers claim that the wars are unjust. This is clearly a propaganda effort orchestrated by the enemy. These agents of the vile imperialists/fascists are enemies of the people and it is the patriotic duty of all citizens to report these troublemakers to the authorities."

Opposition? What opposition?

So what we need is the Chinese Communists to call us for help? :D

Interesting now to see if the Germans believe they have enough strength gathered to remove the decision for war from Stalin’s hands in the next few months. You may have made it too hard for them to chance their arm! In any case, don’t bother with Afghanistan - just not worth it! :eek:;)