• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mauer

Swarmherald
100 Badges
Oct 7, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
I'm 60 years into my game and 90% of my characters are old people, so I started checking them one by one and nobody who's younger than 60 has married anyone, I'm also playing a monarchy and the tooltip about ruler unmarried said my children would marry on their own if I didn't, but ow I see all of my 6 children are old and unmarried, luckily I caught this in time and married whatever male children I had because the daughters can't produce offspring now.

It seems the only young people at court are also foreigners so I probably got them by event or something.

Is this a known bug?

In my current playthrough in Chera and I had a near catastrophe with this as well. In the middle of a very trying war against the powers on Sri Lanka, I was put in a position where I only had one commander available and then I started having researchers and government officials start to die off.

Luckily I was able to win that war and annex the whole of the island. Normally I would banish the families for the Aggressive Expansion decrease, but in this case I accepted them all in and took the popularity hits. Gave me a couple more people I have access to to lead and man my government.

For me seems to be that only the head of the families are marrying, no one else. I just took out another country and good I did cuz I was running out of characters. If the head of the families have girls it really sucks.

Only head of families + 1 more in prime age (20-40) will marry in each family.

If monarchy, you have to manually marry your own family, as testers kind of preferred to have control over it.

If monarchy, you have to manually marry your own family, as testers kind of preferred to have control over it.

What's the logic of "minor" characters in families not marrying? Was this to prevent over-population to keep performance more stable?

So if only 2 in each family have any chance of marrying in ideal situations I can see how lots of families are dieing off to never be replaced again unless you take in foreigners constantly

Another problem with this are the women ;)

But seriously, and not in a misogynist way, i have several "zombie families" that are quiet large, but all children are women.

An adoption option would help with that, as it would for these geniuses who marry 50+ year old (i assume) infertile women. Like the Julii who didn't just die out just because Caesar didn't have a legitimate son.

But seriously, and not in a misogynist way, i have several "zombie families" that are quiet large, but all children are women.

An adoption option would help with that, as it would for these geniuses who marry 50+ year old (i assume) infertile women. Like the Julii who didn't just die out just because Caesar didn't have a legitimate son.

Agree, having a restriction on the raw number of family members generating heirs is fine but they should definitely adopt to keep the family alive (in game terms I guess this would just generate a character?)

I've got the same issue to. I've done the same thing as another poster here and just need to accept Foreign families into the Roman Republic to meet the need for generals and governors.

Kinda shitty though that the original families are going to die off as it sounds like only the head of the family +1 other can marry and have kids that're apart of the family.

Same, kind of shity got to keep on importing families like they are some sort of trade good, I just have a ton of city states around me just waiting to be picked off from me because I need families every once in awhile.

Could you increase it to maybe + 2 in each family or something?, because I think right now it's too restrictive and leads to families dying off rather frequently.

Yes, I'm having the same problem too and it's ruining immersion for me tbh. I have a few genuinely interesting characters in the realm and they are all going to die without offspring! It would be good if Paradox allowed us to set a game rule which allows all characters with governmental positions to marry. This is how it work in EU:Rome and it worked fine. In Imperator, I'm finding myself with an ever dwindling amount of characters to fill offices and generalships and it's very frustrating!

Yep, have the same problem. Two of my four families in my Khotan game are zombie families!

I think we should be able to toggle it. I think you will have a natural bias among the kinds of people that test your products that want to get that far in the weeds of the game mechanics.

We don't get notified about it for our children or grandchildren, though. We don't get notified about a lot of things.

I think head of family + 1 male and 1 female getting married (not to each other) might balance things better?

Still, the roster ends up full of octogenarian marriage prospects. Some additional culling of less important older characters would be good.

Other problem is some males are marrying Old femelas like 60 years old.

No wonder families die out so much. One head or primary heir with the trait chaste would be enough to nearly wipe out a whole family then. Or just being unlucky and only getting females.

This needs to be changed. The part about the monarchy is the right choice imo, but restricting minors so much isn't good. Wouldn't it be possible to set a maximum amount of family members, which needs to be reached, before the restriction kicks in, while fertility for each character decreases as bigger as the family gets? I agree that we need some sort of reason to integrate other families, but right now it is crazy. Especially, if you don't wage war every time you can.