• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Qwerty7

Major
32 Badges
Dec 12, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Magicka
V2qEszw.png

No Soap, Radio - A POD AlaskAAR in a Balkanized World
By Qwerty7
Welcome to my newest AAR about Alaska! A country which I do not think has ever been graced with an AAR sadly. Unlike my others AARs I will be following a policy of getting at least two updates up each week. I am playing in a "balkanized world." What does that mean? It means that I have released many independent countries at the start of the game to make more political volatility and spark more wars and crisis. I will go over what areas have been affected in the first update. I hope you all enjoy!

Thanks to Firehound15 for polishing up the title image.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Last edited:
cSJfuKu.png

No Soap, Radio: World Overview Part 1
The 1830s saw the world shaken by uprisings as people cried for independence and sovereignty. Many wars were fought and much blood was shed. Most of the rebellions end in utter failure, but some would receive the fruits of freedom come to them. The greatest amount of fighting occurred in Europe, take a look at how things turned out.

uYfoJbn.png

Europe c.1836
The first revolts sprung up in Ireland led by radical members of the Catholic Association in early 1830. Inspired by the success of the Irish rebels a stone's throw away, Wales and Scotland both saw their people rising up in the name of independence. Meanwhile, the heterogeneous Austrian Empire was shaken with instability in 1830. By 1831 the Austrian Emperor had been given several proclamations of independence from throughout the empire.

The revolts in Austria spilled out into Russia and the rest of Eastern Europe. France and Spain offers aid to Austria, Russia, and Britain fearing that if the revolutions were not stopped they would be next. All of that was for naught. The great powers of Europe were simply unable to contain the madness.

5MCjymc.png

The Near East c.1836
The Ottoman Empire, exhausted from trying to save its territories in the Balkans, was helpless when Bedirhan Bey of the Bohtan Emirate declared the Bohtan Emirate "independent and separate from the Ottoman Empire." Bedirhan attracted Kurdish people living under Ottoman rule and they would unite under the banner of "Kurdistan," the first modern Kurdish nation.

The Levant would be the site of extended fighting as several new nations were born: Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria[1]. The far-eastern region of the Empire containing the "Cradle of Civilization" would be taken by Emirs united under the name "Iraq."

cvlDKOr.png

Canada c.1836
Britain's inability to keep the Union together allowed for Canadians to declare their independence. Aided heavily by the US government, several independent states would spring up in Canada. A group of private investors would buy off a large amount of Canadian land from the Hudson Bay Company who felt it better to sell Canada before it too became war torn. Many Canadians resented this sale, and this was very apparent when French Canadians would declare the independence of Quebec in 1832.

Following Quebec, Newfoundland would declare a separate government as well. New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia realized that they found themselves cut off from the rest of British Canada, and so they formed a Maritime Union to survive possible American or Quebecois invasion. In the west British Columbia, isolated from the east, separated as well. Ontario[2] was under the rule of the Hudson Bay Company, but this would change when several Canadian citizens (allegedly funded by the U govt. as well) overthrew company rule. British Canada, ruled by the private investors, would leave the British Dominion in 1835 with the enticement of special trade privileges with the much closer and more stable US, it is commonly referred to as Rupert's Land.

To be continued...

[1] - For convenience, nations are referred to using the names that contemporary European scholars called them in their writings.
[2] Ontario was frequently called "Canada" by most writers from Europe and America. It is unknown exactly why, some scholars suggest that it's border with four of the five Great Lakes might be a primary reason.

Next Chapter -->

Last edited:
interesting

The first part of the overview is up. I wanted to get something out before I departed for Christmas. The second part will hopefully be up before next year.

Hmm... this sounds fun.

This looks interesting... definitely following

interesting
Thank you all for the interest, it is encouraging! :)

Exactly HOW balkanized is "balkanized?"
I would say it is fairly balkanized. Some parts have been somewhat kept intact, but I'd rather not spoil it. ;)

OYbChjJ.png

No Soap, Radio: World Overview Part 2

The revolutionary fervor would continue to spread throughout the world like the plague. Soon, the nations of the far-east felt the separatist dissent and several new nations were birthed.

6Rg5tL2.png

North Asia c. 1836

The eastern reaches of the Russian Empire would not stand by idle as the country was torn by civil war in the west. Many tribes in Siberia would organize together in order to defend against invasion from the south by the Chinese. The first of which was the Altai (Altay) Union, which came about through Altay horse lords arranging alliances to protect the Altay people and their profitable metalworking industry. To the north, the Buryat people and the Turkic Tuvan claimed a large swath of land including Lake Baikal, call Siberia by most Western Scholars. East of Siberia, the Yakut people were numerous enough to protect against integration into Siberia and formed their own Yakut nation. The Kamchatka peninsula, home mostly to Russians, also declared themselves independent mainly because of their isolation from Russia and because of charismatic warlords. The Ural Mountains and its surroundings became the territory of the new Ural State. Tatars, Bushkirs, and Chuvash joined together and held off Siberian, Altay, and Russian attacks. Some Tatars refused to live alongside the Bushkir and Chuvash, and so the small Kingdom of Tatarstan was declared and the Ural State did not have the resources to pacify the region.

This instability and turmoil caused the Qing to send soldiers up north to protect against these unpredictable raiders, and it also saw the Chinese Emperor declare new laws intended to prevent rebellion. However, these would not prevent popular uprisings in the south and west.

0JwHvop.png

China c.1836

Southwestern Chinese provinces were administered by Tusi, tribal chieftains in a province which were numerous in quantity. Unlike the bureaucrats of the rest of the Chinese provinces, it was a hereditary title. So when news reached of the Emperor's new decrees in conjunction with firepower moving up north, several Tusi in Yunnan province (the province with the largest concentration of Tusi) hatched a plot to establish an independent Yunnan in order to further their own power. They were successful, so much so that it inspired similar revolts in southern China. Three of the revolts were successful - Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian.

In the west, the Uyghur people, followers of Islam, launched their own campaigns for independence. Despite the fact that the Uyghur people had arguably benefited from Qing rule[1], Uyghur separatism was generally done because of constant raids from Siberians that were ignored by the Qing in favor of protecting the Manchurian border or quelling uprisings in the south. Kashgaria and Qinghai became the two Islamic Kingdoms of China and their future is uncertain as the Qing will certainly want to retake their lands.

The deadly discord present throughout East Asia and Russia would encourage several chieftains and soldiers in a Russian colony to follow their destiny. The glorious people of a most serene and awe-inspiring land triumphantly raised their righteous flag of liberty and justice over the most beautiful spot of earth created. The place where God vacations and Mother Nature lives. The place where the greatest people to ever trod this earth, who drew the line in the dust and tossed the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny. The Most Graceful Grand People's Constitutional Empire of...

Murt9qi.png

Perfection c. 1836

...Alaska! The Most Graceful Grand People's Constitutional Empire of Alaska! The Alaskan people stand at the crossroads of history. Great Rulers shall rise and fall. Men shall toil and bleed. Bloody wars will be fought which will bring mankind to the brink of destruction. A great fire has been kindled and from the ashes rises a nation destined for greatness. Maestro, choose your instrument and listen to Alaska play!

[1] In the 17th century, the Buddhist Dzungar Khanate ruled over a large number of Uyghur, and they imposed heavy taxes on the Uyghur. Atrocities were sometimes committed by Dzungar tax collectors when taxes were not fully paid, such as rape. The Qing eventually defeated the Dzungar (with the aide of the Uyghur) and in the 1750s they exterminated the Dzungar people followed by Qing-sponsored migration into the now devoid Dzungar lands, some of these settlers being Uyghur.

<-- Previous Chapter
Next Chapter -->

Last edited:
Looks intriguing - subbed!
Thank you and welcome along!

I have changed my framing technique so hopefully the borders look nicer now in this update. Any feedback is welcome. Updates will be coming out this week, as quickly as it permits me.

This looks like it will be a fun romp through insanity. May Alaska spread its wings across the tundra from sea to sea.

Subbed !

May the Alaskans bring Order to that divided world ! :p
Also I wonder what is the flag the Alaskans chose for their new destiny
Thank you for showing your faith to the glory of Alaskan might! The flag that PoD uses for Alaska's monarchy is a very nice one, worthy of Alaskan prestige.

TNtGDS3.png

Is this AAR dead? I was really excited for it :l
It is still alive. I was busy this week with school and other things so I didn't have the time to work on an update. However, with it being the weekend I will shall go to work and try to churn something out.

Z0Yiwug.png

No Soap, Radio: 1836-1841 Part 1
Written by Alaskan Minister of Glory Boris Ivanov

Now that the mighty Alaskan people have removed the chains of Russian tyranny they may now march onwards into the annals of history. The King, Vyacheslaw the Magnificent, was chosen mostly because of a severe a lack of nobility present in this land of fish and more fish. The new King immediately requested surveys of the nation.

FLV6wHn.png

Modern "scholars" say that these are the "Great Powers" of the world. All but one of the Great Powers are christian, and of the Christian sects there are three Catholic nations, three Protestant nations, and one Eastern Orthodox nation. 75% of the Great Powers are ruled by Conservative parties, with only one nation being ruled by a Liberal party and one only nation being ruled by a Reactionary party. Quite disgustingly Alaska is nowhere to be found on this list. And on an unrelated note, the bureaucrat responsible for collecting this data has mysteriously gone missing, thereby reducing the bureaucrat population by 50%.

The vast majority of the Alaskan population are Native Americans. For some reason the Inuit have been listed separately from Native Americans and they are present in sizable numbers at 15%. A small minority are Russian and they mostly reside in Sitka.

nzj485C.png

Alaskan Provinces c.1836

There are, at present, Five awe-inspiring provinces in this mighty Empire. Fishing is the largest industry in most provinces, especially the western ones. Sitka, home to the Russian minority, is the Alaskan Timber Capital. Some suggest that Sitka produces so much timber because many lumberjacks have access to inferior Canadian tools, for what reason they use them over the pristine Alaskan bare/bear hands is beyond me.

2iybRHG.png

The other bureaucrat was able to compile more data on Alaska's population. The vast majority of Alaskans are farmers, which is not a surprise. The Native Americans and Inuit subscribe to various animist beliefs while the cultured Russians bow before the good lord as Orthodox Christians just like the King does himself. Jingoism, Moralism, and State Capitalism are the mains issues one the Alaskan minds and of course why would they not? Alaska must assert its dominance over the godless heathens of Canada! The Nationalist Party reigns led by Prime Minister Alexsander Boleslav who was appointed by the King to exercise the will of Alaska. The Nationalist Party is clearly in touch with the people since it's main tenants (Jingoism, Moralism, State Capitalism) are popular amongst the masses. What a terrific report!

However, the top left of this report is nothing but base slander. It claims that Alaska is ranked 108th in the world! The bureaucrat must of accidently added on the 08, for Alaska is number 1! In addition the population is incorrectly stated at 5.57k when in reality it is 18.66k. Sadly, the bureaucrat who created this report now resides in the stomach of an Alaskan bear. The King still needed reports so a man was picked off the street put under a strenuous application and made a bureaucrat.
vFMhxB8.png
Victory! Alaska is number one in the world! This ranking surely must make these nations in the bottom 10, many of them so-called "Great Powers", envious of Alaskan might! The King is very proud today. I shall finish my report later, but for now we should relish in our achievements!

<-- Previous Chapter

((I have labored extensively to get this update out. However there was so much left in the update and so little time that I have decided to divide this into two parts. I hope you all enjoy and Glory to Alaska!))

Last edited:
Subbed!

Z0Yiwug.png

No Soap, Radio: 1836-1841 Part 2
Written by Alaskan Minister of Glory Boris Ivanov

Emperor Vyacheslaw, proud of his knowledge that Alaska is the best in one category, held a parade in Kenai. The parade lasts three days and ends with the grand opening of the First Alaskan Parliament. The members consist of aristocrats and those appointed by His Majesty with his wisdom. The Nationalist Party, the alliance of nobles and hard traditionalists, is the largest faction in Parliament; the rest are independents of varying ideologies. At the grand opening Prime Minister Alexander Boleslav announced his cabinet and a famous picture was painted of its key members.

LPxtX1Y.png
Prime Minister Boleslav is considered by many to be a "Backroom Boy." Under his administration he would improve the military leadership structure and fishers would increase their yearly catches. One of his first recommendations to the Emperor is to build a lumber mill in Sitka, which results in several missing Inuit and no lumber mill. Boleslav then attempted to secure an alliance with the United States of America, which the insolent Jacobins declined. Boleslav, discouraged by his lack of immediate success, considers tendering his resignation when he receives word that in September of 1836, Gold had been found in Yakutat. A month later Gold was found in Sitka! A sign that fate is with Alaska and we are destined for glory! Thousands of naïve foreigners come to Alaska full of hope that they will leave with their pockets full.

BEncLZ4.png

Gold Miners c.1837

The Alaskan Gold Rush is a huge boom to the Alaskan economy and leads to the largest migration to Alaska in history. Over night it seems Alaska goes from its small yet reserved population of 18,000 to 100,000 by the middle of 1837. Unfortunately Alaska is no longer #1 in the list of Least Populated Countries in the world, but that does not matter for we have hordes of people itching to come to our majestic land!

3b6zFUG.png

This migration is aided by advances in the economic field with the idea of "Freedom of Trade." Although the Government still maintains a policy of Protectionism, Freedom of Trade has helped foster trade treaties with several nations. Many of the Immigrants also brought with them new ideas, the most popular of which was Romanticism. Romanticism emphasized emotion and glorification of the past over the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Many Alaskan artists and writers in this period were deeply affected by Romanticism.

Prime Minister's Boleslav's accomplishment throughout these five years are obvious. A popular Alaskan newspaper published an issue of the last five years recently and everyone is reading it, take a look!

Gebm2LC.png

The newspaper is a sign of greater times ahead, and, with a rising tide of patriotism and large population growth, these times may come sooner rather than later. This was evident when Emperor Vyacheslaw made an important announcement...

Last edited: