New details on Flashpoint & update 1.3 - arcade career mode, reputation shops

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nebula Serpent

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
May 1, 2018
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
Via PCGamesN: https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-update-13-career-mode

BattleTech’s coming Flashpoint expansion will land on the same day as a free update, version 1.3, which will add an arcade-like Career Mode.

This mode sidelines the main story, and lets you “just test yourself as a mercenary commander flying around,” says game director Mitch Gitelman, speaking with us at Gamescom the other week. Career Mode will include a score, just like in the ’80s: “We’ll judge you!” laughs Gitelman. “Anywhere from green recruit all the way to legendary mercenary, maybe even beyond there. No tutorials, no nothing, just get in there, and without the story missions there’s no more big paydays of million C-Bills. So we’ll see how that goes.”

1.3 will also overhaul the reputation system. “One of the key things is you’ll be able to become an ally of one of the factions in the game,” Gitelman says. “That’ll give you access to an ally-only store, where you’ll get special equipment and discounts.” If you prefer the other side of the tracks, mechwarriors with a criminal background will be able to access black market stores, to procure goods of more dubious provenance.

Lock if old

There is actually info in there that I believe is indeed new, mixed in with info that is already known.

Unless I'm losing my mind, I dont recall reading or hearing this part anywhere else;

reputation.PNG

<cough> @Prussian Havoc , @MeiSooHaityu <cough>

There is actually info in there that I believe is indeed new, mixed in with info that is already known.

Unless I'm losing my mind, I dont recall reading or hearing this part anywhere else;

View attachment 401689

<cough> @Prussian Havoc , @MeiSooHaityu <cough>
That is indeed something new for Update 1.3. It joins the Ability Revision that Kiva is efforting.

Currently in Version 1.2, with enough hard work you can become Allied with all present Factions and receive a 10% Store Discount on all their worlds.

I wonder if that still holds true in 1.3 and you can still have Multiple Allies, or will you be limited to but a single Ally.

It seems to me that the "Ally-Only" Store amounts to a "Back Room" of Unique Items that will be available once "Ally" Status is achieved.

This seems to contribute directly to BATTLETECH's CommandSIM, significantly enhancing BATTLETECH #MercLIFE's Quality of Life. : )

That is indeed something new for Update 1.3. It joins the Ability Revision that Kiva is efforting.

Currently in Version 1.2, with enough hard work you can become Allied with all present Factions and receive a 10% Store Discount on all their worlds.

I wonder if that still holds true in 1.3 and you can still have Multiple Allies, or will you be limited to but a single Ally.

It seems to me that the "Ally-Only" Store amounts to a "Back Room" of Unique Items that will be available once "Ally" Status is achieved.

This seems to contribute directly to BATTLETECH's CommandSIM, significantly enhancing BATTLETECH #MercLIFE's Quality of Life. : )
Sounds like an additional tier for formal alliance. I'm sure that we can still have a good reputation with some other factions. Just not special benefit status.

An alliance tag to your merc is nice and all but it feels more like a feel-good steam badge than anything that would affect the merc-sim.

Unless alliance tag gives you access to special missions, auxiliary support in-mission or be headhunted by opposing faction, gear in itself is pretty pointless. By the time you've racked up enough missions to be affiliated with a Great House, you'll rarely be in need of gear, mech or money.

Does anyone even notice that 10% discount in the vanilla game?

An alliance tag to your merc is nice and all but it feels more like a feel-good steam badge than anything that would affect the merc-sim.

Unless alliance tag gives you access to special missions, auxiliary support in-mission or be headhunted by opposing faction, gear in itself is pretty pointless. By the time you've racked up enough missions to be affiliated with a Great House, you'll rarely be in need of gear, mech or money.

Does anyone even notice that 10% discount in the vanilla game?
Your assuming a lot here. How different will the game be after November? We don't know but I have faith HBS will make the endgame better.

Sounds like an additional tier for formal alliance. I'm sure that we can still have a good reputation with some other factions. Just not special benefit status.
Agreed.

I like your idea that it might be an "additional tier."

That to me connotes that an essential element of BATTLETECH's CommamdSIM ~ Contracts/Reputation ~ just may be getting an upgrade. : )

Cyclops and crab incoming was hoping for those that are not allow3d to be talked about make an appearance but those it appears are lost to the lawsuit

"BattleTech’s coming Flashpoint expansion will land on the same day as a free update, version 1.3, which will add an arcade-like Career Mode."

DEDICATED SANDBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!L

I am in official man-crush for Mitch as of this moment, literally my number one hoped for feature.

Also, this is iterative design they're following. If there's a feature being added, there's a good chance it's being added to pave the way for something further down the line, just as flashpoints are clearly a key element of how story-type content is going to get added going forward, a formal alliance *may* have relatively minor useful effects now, but that's almost certainly going to change as we go down the line.

Frankly, getting more and more excited about Flashpoint!

Cyclops and crab incoming was hoping for those that are not allow3d to be talked about make an appearance but those it appears are lost to the lawsuit

I think that's assuming a lot. My own personal assumption is that there is a lot of backroom paperwork going on to figure out where the lines are. PGI already has models for many of those-that-shall-not-be-named and since HBS used those to start with, it would "make sense" that they will show up at some point.

I miss the Archer, Marauder and Phoenix Hawk as much as everyone, but not having them doesn't lessen my enjoyment.

Thanksfully November is not that far in the future

November will be a great month indeed. :)

I get a Birthday (always a cool day).
I will officially retire from the Workforce.
The first BT DLC and Free Patch will come online.

Yaah for November 2018! :) ;)

I wonder if we will have the Argo in Career Mode, as we get it from a story mission...

If not, will we just be flying around in the Leopard or will there be other ships available?

I'm excited by all of this. I'm looking forward to more details when HBS gives us another dev diary. :)

I think that's assuming a lot. My own personal assumption is that there is a lot of backroom paperwork going on to figure out where the lines are. PGI already has models for many of those-that-shall-not-be-named and since HBS used those to start with, it would "make sense" that they will show up at some point.

I miss the Archer, Marauder and Phoenix Hawk as much as everyone, but not having them doesn't lessen my enjoyment.

You forgot Rifleman, sir. Mr. Rifleman to you. And it does lessen my enjoyment a little. Before I die, I want to see all the classics in a first rate game like HBS' BattleTech.

Eyepatches, peglegs and parrots? ;)
How about a Cutlass? :D

Note: I am joking. The Cutlass isn't a very good mech, partially because it won't exist for another 75 years of game time, mostly because it is an aerospace fighter and has no legs.

I am really looking forward to some improvements to the reputation system. I wonder if a high reputation might be required for some Flashpoints.

How about a Cutlass? :D

Note: I am joking. The Cutlass isn't a very good mech, partially because it won't exist for another 75 years of game time, mostly because it is an aerospace fighter and has no legs.

I am really looking forward to some improvements to the reputation system. I wonder if a high reputation might be required for some Flashpoints.

Or for that matter an official alliance... ?