• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, this world is twisted in every way, so everyone uses different names for the evil, as they don't know what it is. As long as there are no fanatics out there, you should be in the green with writer's freedom. Angels have had much worse happen to them in any art.

I don't remember who, but someone calculated the temperatures of hell and heaven after the different descriptions. Due to the higher energy output of light or something like that, heaven should be at some thousand degrees Celsius, while hell only had seven hundred... Really need to find that one again. Means that however you lived, in death you'll have it warm :D

I remembered seeing something similar, so I googled it. Found this. Heaven should be 525ºC, while Hell should be between 115.2°C and 444.6ºC. Guess Heaven is hotter than Hell. :p

A Changing World

1450 proved to be an interesting year. It was not interesting because of events within Naples, but rather outside the kingdom. King Renato had sent out spies throughout Europe to gauge the situation everywhere, only for each one to return one by one with news of various peace agreements. Seven alone returned on the fourth of January. The fact that nations were agreeing to any peace at all either meant that the disease was not as rage-inducing as previously believed or that there were quite a few people out there capable of controlling those infected by the plague. The Archangel Michael insisted it was the second, claiming that there were those capable of manipulating the diseased as would a master his slaves. As to who these people were, he would not elaborate.

((I was literally receiving dozens of these peace pop-ups a month. By the end of the year, I was forced to turn off the notifications for it before I went insane from constantly pausing. I’m guessing the mod doesn’t take into consideration the AI wanting to end a war after 5 years if they haven’t accomplished their goal, which isn’t exactly ideal when the war is declared for them.))

Despite the vast amount of news coming into the capital, Renato tried to keep his ear open for news on some of the nearer and more powerful of the nations in Europe. Thus he paid particular attention to the end of the war between France and England. England handed over only a single province, but still held the entire northern coastline of France. Michael expressed doubt that this peace would last for even a year before they’d be at each other’s throats again.

The cavalry regiment Renato had ordered formed last year was finally organized and sent up to join the siege in Ferrara. So far the siege armies had been left uninterrupted, which suited the king just fine. With the northern border fairly secure, the expansion of the navy could be continued with another galley under construction in Roma.

In May spies sent into Venice reported that the Venetian army was at an all-time low. The decision was made to further divide the army and march on Verona. One cavalry and two infantry regiments from each of the two siege armies would be sent to Verona under the leadership of General Carlo Gori. When the army moved into the area, scouts reported a small Venetian army next door in Austria. On the 26th of May, another small regiment appeared in Brescia, believed to consist of fresh recruits. General Gori immediately took the initiative and ordered an attack on the enemy before they could escape into Austria. The manoeuvre paid off, leaving the army free to return to Verona to recommence the siege.

Back in the capital, King Renato had domestic issues to deal with. With all the new lands acquired by Naples, the king was having difficulty ruling the new lands. Normally he would issue ordinances that the local lords or magistrates would enforce, but the nobles of the new provinces were accustomed to different laws and traditions. Instead of letting them run things the way they were used to, Renato took the extra effort to convince these lords to adopt his plans. It cost him extra time, but would make managing affairs of state more streamlined in the future.

With the northern front relatively quiet for once, with Modena pacified and Venice focusing elsewhere, Renato risked sending scouts further than before. He needed to know exactly what lay beyond his border. What news they brought back worried him. Two large threats resided past Milan and Venice. Both Savoy and Austria were quite large and a possible threat if Naples continued to expand north. He would have to keep a careful eye on those two nations.

Another report came in of Venice’s attempt to recruit more men in Brescia. General Gori soon made the Venetians pay for their recruitment effort. Yet again the Venetians lost an entire regiment. General Gori even managed to lose less men this time, having perfected the method since last time.

Even though years had passed, Aragon continued to block the ports of Calabria with its navy, as well as those in Pisa. While not a serious threat, it was still a nuisance. Naples’ position in Italy would not truly be secure until Sicily was under its control. While the potential of luring the navy away was still there, Renato started to consider an alternative. The Neapolitan navy was roughly two-thirds the size of the fleet outside Calabria. With all the funds flowing into Naples’ treasury, it was entirely possible that the navy could be built up to equal that of Aragon’s. With that in mind, Renato ordered construction of a barque in Calabria to be added to the fleet and a galley in Siena to add to those already in Roma.

After having not seen the Archangel Michael for a few weeks, King Renato made sure to visit him. The archangel intrigued him in more ways than one. Besides the fact that he was one of God’s servants, he spent most of his time either travelling the lands or alone in his quarters. The archangel was unusually reclusive. When Renato visited him in his room, he found Michael leaning over a map he was in the process of drawing. His hand moved impossibly fast, drawing borders with precise detail. At the moment he seemed to be focused on drawing the Balkans.

“How do you know what those nations look like with borders changing so often?” Renato asked.

Michael’s hand stopped moving and he remained silent for a moment. When he turned his head to face Renato, he had a thoughtful expression on his face. “I cannot explain it, at least not in a way that you would understand. Think of it as a gift from God.”

Renato didn’t know what entirely to make of that, but his thoughts were distracted as Michael leaned back to give the king a full view of the map. It seemed that the small kingdoms of the Balkans were starting to thrive at the expense of the Ottoman Empire. Served those heathens right.

When Renato’s gaze drifted elsewhere on the map, he noticed an oddity with Naples. “Modena is not part of our kingdom yet.”

A sly smile spread across Michael’s face. “As far as you know, that may be true.”

As if on cue, a messenger raced by the door but did a double-take when he spotted his king. “My king, I have a message for you from Modena. The province has fallen.”

Renato’s neck stiffened as he glanced at Michael out of the corner of his eye. Michael was merely smirking while he continued to add to his map. Clearly there was much more to the archangel than there appeared.

Reactions:
Michael is starting to show his true colors and I think Renato is starting to notice it. There is definitely off about Michael, but I don't think Renato is smart enough figure it out.

Michael is starting to show his true colors and I think Renato is starting to notice it. There is definitely off about Michael, but I don't think Renato is smart enough figure it out.

Well with those 2/2/2 stats, he clearly is no genius. :D

If Naples continue with such subpar rulers, then we might need the archangel rule over the nation personally. I look forward to the day you break the blockade formed by Aragon so you could finally reclaim Sicily.

If Naples continue with such subpar rulers, then we might need the archangel rule over the nation personally. I look forward to the day you break the blockade formed by Aragon so you could finally reclaim Sicily.

Having the archangel rule is an interesting idea. I could even trigger an event to get him in power too. :p

I will eventually go after Sicily, but the circumstances leading up to it are not what you'd expect.

What you need is the Lux Stella event. It would actually work with your story well.

I'm not familiar with that event. Is it one of those ones that gives you a random heir? Renato will have an heir in an update or two though.

Having the archangel rule is an interesting idea. I could even trigger an event to get him in power too. :p

I will eventually go after Sicily, but the circumstances leading up to it are not what you'd expect.

I'm not familiar with that event. Is it one of those ones that gives you a random heir? Renato will have an heir in an update or two though.

It's not just a random heir, you get to choose between Caesar, Alexander and Johan with at least 6 in one field for each !

It's not just a random heir, you get to choose between Caesar, Alexander and Johan with at least 6 in one field for each !

Oh, I think I remember that event. Lol, clearly Johan is the correct choice since he's the only god out of the three. :D

Well I think your efforts on the narrative side of the AAR are paying off. This is starting to be much more interesting to read than basic warfare and annexing provinces one by one. Your work is a good example of how the most exciting part of this game often comes from our own imagination ;).

I like the development you're doing around the archangel's character and how ambiguous his behavior feels - it lets you free to make him do some surprising or even shocking things sometimes. Actually if you read some old stories from the Bible, you might see that angels and other legendary characters like the first prophets (Elias for instance) act really brutal and do a lot of evil things, always claiming to accomplish God's will. Sadly this could be why so many people feel allowed to do the same nowadays :(.

Anyway, I will go pedantic once more and propose some precision around the Devil's name. Diabolos is not an Hebrew but a Greek work and it means "the one who divides". This is the origin of the French name "le Diable" (as well as "Devil" I guess). Satan is the proper Hebrew name, it means "the foe" or "the accuser". Lucifer is a Latin name meaning... "the one who brings light". I find it the most interesting one for its ambiguous meaning, referring to the Satan's status of fallen angel, and to how he was the one who brought forbidden knowledge to Adam and Eve. That story might be linked with the ancient myth of Prometheus, getting punished by the Olympian gods after having taught the humans the science of fire.

It could be quite upsetting (and fun) for both your characters and your readers to work on that ambiguity, and somehow put the King's faith to the test when he would receive some news from a foreign ruler doing something he obviously could approve, while said ruler is supposed to be under evil influence, and while Michael would be acting a weird and frightening way... Just make us wonder "where is Lucifer and which side is Michael actually ?"

Ah, and another suggestion if you're looking for some more angel names... Azrael is a fine one. He is the angel of death, in charge of taking the dead to where they're supposed to belong, until the Judgement day when he will just have to take himself at last. The Hebrew, the Christian and the Muslim all acknowledge his existence. The Muslim don't even want to mention his name. It could be a good thrill to hear about some doomed country directly ruled by him...

Well I think your efforts on the narrative side of the AAR are paying off. This is starting to be much more interesting to read than basic warfare and annexing provinces one by one. Your work is a good example of how the most exciting part of this game often comes from our own imagination ;).

I like the development you're doing around the archangel's character and how ambiguous his behavior feels - it lets you free to make him do some surprising or even shocking things sometimes. Actually if you read some old stories from the Bible, you might see that angels and other legendary characters like the first prophets (Elias for instance) act really brutal and do a lot of evil things, always claiming to accomplish God's will. Sadly this could be why so many people feel allowed to do the same nowadays :(.

Anyway, I will go pedantic once more and propose some precision around the Devil's name. Diabolos is not an Hebrew but a Greek work and it means "the one who divides". This is the origin of the French name "le Diable" (as well as "Devil" I guess). Satan is the proper Hebrew name, it means "the foe" or "the accuser". Lucifer is a Latin name meaning... "the one who brings light". I find it the most interesting one for its ambiguous meaning, referring to the Satan's status of fallen angel, and to how he was the one who brought forbidden knowledge to Adam and Eve. That story might be linked with the ancient myth of Prometheus, getting punished by the Olympian gods after having taught the humans the science of fire.

It could be quite upsetting (and fun) for both your characters and your readers to work on that ambiguity, and somehow put the King's faith to the test when he would receive some news from a foreign ruler doing something he obviously could approve, while said ruler is supposed to be under evil influence, and while Michael would be acting a weird and frightening way... Just make us wonder "where is Lucifer and which side is Michael actually ?"

Ah, and another suggestion if you're looking for some more angel names... Azrael is a fine one. He is the angel of death, in charge of taking the dead to where they're supposed to belong, until the Judgement day when he will just have to take himself at last. The Hebrew, the Christian and the Muslim all acknowledge his existence. The Muslim don't even want to mention his name. It could be a good thrill to hear about some doomed country directly ruled by him...

I always found it interesting how God went from almost vengeful to a saint from the Old Testament to the New Testament. I guess that is true for angels as well.

Hmmm, that's a good point about Lucifer. I'll try to use that name more.

Well I'm having fun with the ambiguity now since I didn't even consider that when I started. Now I don't even know who is good or evil. :p

I think I wrote down Azrael in my notes, but I'll keep him in mind for another archangel to use.

Don't forget the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! I'm betting they're having a grand old time in this Timeline!

Change of Heart

With Modena now under Naples’ control, King Renato could focus his full attention on Venice. Genoa and Aragon were still in the back of his mind, but nothing could be done about them with the Aragonese navy blockading Naples’ ports. The army that had been besieging Modena was ordered up north to Brescia. Before the army could reach the province, a peace treaty was signed between Venice and Milan transferring the province to Milan. Venice must have been in dire circumstances to give up Brescia so easily. Since Milan for the moment wasn’t threatening Naples, Renato had the free army reroute to Treviso instead. However, right before the army could reach the province, an Austrian army marched on the province. Fearing a potential clash between the two neutral armies, Renato ordered a withdrawal from the province. With the Austrians even besieging Venice itself, it was best not to get in their way. Instead the army was sent back to wait in Pisa just in case the Aragonese blockade broke.

Aragon was on Renato’s mind in more ways than one. In mid-August of 1450, a letter arrived from the Aragonese king begging forgiveness. The attack was called a mistake and the king was even willing to offer up Messina as a sign of good will. Renato couldn’t believe his good fortune. This agreement would remove the threat of Aragon. Genoa could even be invaded.

Before Renato could sign his name to the peace agreement, the Archangel Michael snatched the document away. The peace was a ruse to lure Naples into a sense of false security, he claimed. If the Neapolitan army was sent to Messina once peace was signed, Aragon would start the war back up and trap the Neapolitan army on Sicily, leaving the mainland open for attack. The peace was unacceptable.

((In actuality, I just didn’t want to accept any peace that didn’t involve all of Sicily and Malta. :D))

The next month went by without event, but near the end of September a surprising development occurred. The small Aragonese fleet outside Pisa disappeared. The army in Pisa was immediately ordered to commandeer any seaworthy vessels they could find and sail for Corsica. The crossing was a tense affair. No one knew where the Aragonese fleet had gone, and if they reappeared they could turn the crossing into a disaster. Fortunately for the soldiers, Aragon seemed to have more deadly enemies to contend with and did not reappear. The crossing was a success, but there was still the Genoan army to deal with. The battle was close, but the enemy was eventually cornered and scattered. Corsica was open to siege.

This good news was quickly offset by the declaration of war by Milan. They had resolved their internal crisis and were out for blood. This would mean more men would have to be diverted from attacking Venice to fend off Milan. Michael remained quiet on the manner, still bitter about the escape of Gabriel. The sudden reappearance of Aragonese ships in the Ligurian Sea worsened matters. The men on Corsica were now trapped there.

A Milanese army appeared near Verona, but marched off through Parma and into Liguria. It would seem that despite the war declaration, Milan was more concerned with Savoy. Renato could agree with that sentiment. He would have to take particular interest in all the states in and around northern Italy.

In January of 1451, Ferrara finally fell. The siege army there was immediately sent to Milanese Mantua to put pressure on them. A new cavalry regiment was recruited to aid their effort.

Another peace offer arrived from Aragon with similar terms. The Aragonese were desperate to pull Naples into their trap. Renato declined the offer yet again. Later, however, he sent spies across the Mediterranean to further investigate circumstances in Aragon. What they brought back were reports of revolt and loss. Aragon had lost a province to Castile and Foixan Nationalists were threatening the province of Roussillon. Perhaps the Aragonese were more sincere than he believed. Could the archangel be wrong?

I've encountered a roadblock with this AAR. My copy of 1.11.4 stopped working and even when I roll back to 1.11.4 on Steam, the game won't load. This means that unless I can get either to work, I'll be forced to update this game to 1.12. First of all this means I have to wait for the mod developer to update the mod so I can continue, but I've played all the way to 1455 and have enough updates to leave me time to wait. The bigger problem is all the new provinces 1.12 added. I can manually assign the empty provinces to each nation, but I am unsure of how this will affect the game. Since so many of these provinces are in Italy, it will have a big impact on me as Naples. Once the mod is updated, I'll go do this and see what happens. This does mean I might have to face the possibility that this game has been compromised and made unplayable, but we'll see how everything works out. I'll keep trying to get 1.11.4 to work in the meantime.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Don't forget the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! I'm betting they're having a grand old time in this Timeline!

I never considered them. I guess I have more research to do. :)

Actually, you can't upgrade to 1.12. There's no compatibility due to the development and forts. As I've encountered a similar problem, I think there's an easy solution: My file didn't want to load from the game start, so I tried starting a normal game (as the Livonian Order, to see if there was a mod issue due to UPE). As it worked like usual, I tried to load the game from that menu - and it worked like a charm. I don't know why, but you may want to try that, as the brief description of your problem sounds just like mine. If not, it may also be because I've taken out any 1.12 saves from the directory. Might do both. Hope it works. Would love to see the horsemen appear BTW.

Actually, you can't upgrade to 1.12. There's no compatibility due to the development and forts. As I've encountered a similar problem, I think there's an easy solution: My file didn't want to load from the game start, so I tried starting a normal game (as the Livonian Order, to see if there was a mod issue due to UPE). As it worked like usual, I tried to load the game from that menu - and it worked like a charm. I don't know why, but you may want to try that, as the brief description of your problem sounds just like mine. If not, it may also be because I've taken out any 1.12 saves from the directory. Might do both. Hope it works. Would love to see the horsemen appear BTW.

Well I can't even get 1.11.4 to launch at all. I have been able to load the save for my other AAR in 1.12, but it's already at 1821 so I can't really tell what happens to the game. I'll try removing the 1.12 save from the directory and see if that helps. I guess that if 1.12 won't work with my old game, I'll have to keep trying to get 1.11.4 to work.

These are nasty roadblocks. I think Gabriel is trying to sabotage Michael at the source. If this continues, then Naples will be doomed. You mustn't let Gabriel succeed!

Reactions:
These are nasty roadblocks. I think Gabriel is trying to sabotage Michael at the source. If this continues, then Naples will be doomed. You mustn't let Gabriel succeed!

Oh snap, there are archangels in my computer! :eek:

I found the solution to my problem. Apparently it was the mods that have already updated to 1.12 that were causing the issue. I just need to remove them when launching 1.11.4, although Steam keeps trying to replace them every time.

Aragon declares war on you, blockades you for years, makes no progress, and only wants to give you on province.:confused: I knew this disease made them aggressive, I didn't know it made them stingy.