• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do Archangels have such power? If yes than we might see Gabriel or someone else doing some sabotage. And that most certainly would be bad.

Gabriel could theoretically, but it would constitute an act of evil. He's willing to use and manipulate evil to achieve his goal, but that's different than causing it himself. There are others that may be more willing to use such power.

Gabriel could theoretically, but it would constitute an act of evil. He's willing to use and manipulate evil to achieve his goal, but that's different than causing it himself. There are others that may be more willing to use such power.
Such as Lucifer?

Such as Lucifer?

Well he created the plague. I think I mentioned that in one of the updates, or even the one I just posted. Either that or I just spoiled it. :p

Well he created the plague. I think I mentioned that in one of the updates, or even the one I just posted. Either that or I just spoiled it. :p

I don't think you said it directly but it was implied for a long time :p

Michael slowly pried Gabriel’s fingers loose and tried his best to remain calm and reserved. “I have never doubted your loyalty to God. I merely question your methods. Using this plague of Lucifer’s will corrupt you in the end.”

I knew I said it somewhere. It's one of those many subtleties you have to catch in these conversations.

Disaster

With Milan no longer a threat, the two free siege armies were ordered over to Austrian Sudtirol and Venetian Treviso. Before the second army could arrive in Venetian territory, a larger Venetian army appeared. The two armies marching east were ordered to combine forces and go on the defensive, but Venice backed off. The armies moved on to the planned provinces, only for Venice to reappear again. The two combined in Treviso, but that did not stop Venice who had some reinforcements next door. General Carlo Gori left a single regiment behind in Lombardia as he marched east to intervene. The Neapolitan army faced a lot of casualties, but the arrival of Gori tipped the odds against Venice. The enemy was forced to flee.

In a surprise move, the Venetians fled east to Friuli instead of Venice where their navy could protect them. General Carlo Gori eagerly ordered a pursuit. Weakened and unable to prepare an adequate defence, the Venetian army was trapped. Unfortunately, the Venetians sacrificed some cavalry to keep the Neapolitan army occupied while the rest of the army fled west. Gori would have to chase them yet again.

The chase never came to be, since the Austrians had been waiting nearby and pounced on the weakened Neapolitan army. General Gori fought bravely, but his men were tired and outnumbered. Gori tried to organize an effective defence, but failed. He was eventually dragged off back to Naples by a few of his men when they decided the battle was lost. The rest of the army did not fare well at all. All that remained of the Neapolitan army in the north was a single regiment in Lombardia. It would seem that Renato’s worries about Austria were justified.

Reactions:
I just got caught up, and am glad I did so. This is continuing to be a fun AAR. And I'm rather looking forward to your iAAR when it starts.

I just got caught up, and am glad I did so. This is continuing to be a fun AAR. And I'm rather looking forward to your iAAR when it starts.

I was getting notifications for the past hour and was wondering when you'd finally catch up. That's some dedication. :p

I'm hoping to get that iAAR going some time soon. I'm almost done writing up everything I need to finish up my tag-swap AAR, so then I can finally get started. :)

The Letter

The next few weeks were frantic for Renato as he struggled to keep the northern front from collapsing entirely. Two loans of 73 ducats each were taken out to fund a recruitment effort for the army. With manpower low, Renato turned to less reliable characters and sent offers to several mercenary companies that had turned up in Naples. Their service was needed if Naples had any hopes of surviving. After nearly emptying the treasury, he was able to secure the service of nearly 10 full regiments of mercenaries. Naples depended on their success.

With the northern front indefensible for now, the single regiment in Lombardia was ordered to abandon the siege and head south. The retreat was a tense affair as the small army had to weave between a Savoyard army in Parma and Austrian army in Brescia. Both seemed more content to besiege Naples’ lands than pursue the insignificant army.

With the war against Milan on hold, Renato attempted to see if he could seek a temporary peace while he focused on Austria and Savoy. He sent them an offer, one that was in Naples’ favour at least, and waited for a reply. The reply came less than a week later. Milan would pay a hefty sum and keep paying to fund their war effort. They had mutual enemies, especially since Austria had just attacked Milan. The funds would immediately be put to use raising more forces, this time from loyal Neapolitan men.

Less than a week after peace with Milan, two more letters arrived from Lombardia. The first worsened Renato’s mood. Milan had cancelled its plan to send more funds to Naples and had declared war yet again. The disease that plagued the world had struck again. It was at times like this that Renato wondered if peace could ever truly be achieved. The second letter was addressed to Michael, which surprised Renato at first. He had walked half way to Michael’s room to give him the letter when he finally took a closer look at the sender. The letter was from Gabriel. After looking around to see if Michael was nearby, curiosity overtook Renato. He opened the letter and read its contents.

Forgive me, for I have failed. I could not control them. I tried to wield the king of Milan and his army as a one would a sword, but men are fickle creatures. The disease corrupted their minds. Not even my holy influence could control them for long. Despite this setback, I will continue with my efforts elsewhere in Europe. As much as you fear the corrupting influence of the disease, it is the only tool capable of accomplishing our goals. Either we use it for our gain or we get pushed aside by it. You may view your attempts in Naples as virtuous, but they are just the methods of a fool refusing to accept change. Use Lucifer’s gift or share the fate of God. There are no other options.
- Gabriel

Renato nearly dropped the letter from his hand. He had more questions than answers. Were Michael and Gabriel working together? And what had happened to God? He didn’t want to consider the implications. After rushing back to his quarters, Renato did his best to reseal the letter with wax. It would be best if Michael never knew he had opened it. It might have been best if he had never opened it to begin with.

Just an announcement. The iAAR I was talking about has officially started! I've settled on the name Empire of the Mediterranean: An Interactive Aragon AAR. Anyone who is interested in joining is free to do so. I hope you guys check it out. :)

Reactions:
Poor old Renalto. Caught between an apocalyptic plague and two dangerous and mysterious angels. Its enough to make any ruler wish for more stable times.

Speaking of which, how old is Renalto?

Poor old Renalto. Caught between an apocalyptic plague and two dangerous and mysterious angels. Its enough to make any ruler wish for more stable times.

Speaking of which, how old is Renalto?

It doesn't help that he lives in the only sane nation on Earth left.

Based on his age in the save I have, he should be roughly 35 at the time of this update. To be fair, I wouldn't be too upset if he died right when his heir came of age. The 2/2/2 stats don't help. :p

Recovery

By the end of April, several regiments of mercenaries had been gathered and were called to Romagna, where General Carlo Gori was organizing a new army to fight off the invaders. The general now felt that he had to prove himself after losing his entire force to the Austrians. He would not fail his country a second time.

When the mercenaries finally all arrived, the new army under Carlo Gori consisted of 9,000 men, far more than the enemy siege armies in the north. Gori marched on Parma first, where Savoy was attempting to take the province. Savoy had a third the force and an inferior general. The enemy was forced from Naples and back over the border.

The nest target was Austria, who had two regiments in Brescia. They were even less prepared than the Savoyards. The general was killed early in the battle, giving the Neapolitans the advantage and allowing them to overwhelm the Austrians. All foreign invaders had been driven from Neapolitan lands, at least for now.

With the home front secure, General Gori led a charge against the Milanese capital, ridding the city of all defenders outside its walls. He then split his force to send half the army down to Liguria. This would provide a defensive wall to keep Savoy from entering Naples again.

Cavalry was recruited to bolster the armies in the west, since none of the mercenaries were trained to use horses. A third army was also held back in Mantua as an extra line of defence. This extra army soon proved its purpose as a Savoyard army appeared in Cuneo and marched towards Liguria. Only after the Mantua army was sent to reinforce did the Savoyards back off.

Back at home, the constant war was starting to worry the people. Despite the knowledge of the disease, many did not like the death toll of the wars. Renato had to spend time and energy reminding the people that peace was not possible, no matter how exhausted they were of war.

A blessing did occur in the form of France. A French army attacked the Savoyards in Cuneo, dealing them a decisive blow. With Savoy no longer a threat, the spare army protecting the siege forces was ordered to Sudtirol, where it could harass the Austrians.

Spies had also taken advantage of the French battle to discover new military strategies. The French were using pikemen against cavalry to devastating effect. By adding in some swordsmen with the pikemen, the French army was able to deal with most threats presented in the battle. General Carlo Gori, after hearing these reports, suggested that the Neapolitan army adopt these methods as well.

When the spare army arrived in Sudtirol, scouts reported a much larger Venetian army next door in Lienz. Not wanting to risk an engagement with the Venetians, the Neapolitan army was recalled and sent to Swiss Graubünden instead. A Swiss army was then spotted attacking Milan’s only other province, but their army was too small to be a significant threat.

While the war raged on, Renato had a survey done of the Neapolitan economy. The situation was not too good. Interest from loans and the wages of the court advisors were sinking the economy. Even cutting back on costs for the fleet did not remove the deficit. The Neapolitan economy was in decline for now.

Reactions:
So how does the HRE work in this mod?

So how does the HRE work in this mod?

The HRE simply doesn't exist. I imagine the devs of the mod removed it since the Emperor wouldn't be able to defend all those Imperial nations and unification would be virtually impossible.

Only one way to solve the economic problems. Conquer more land. :D

It's also the best way to recover manpower, since you get a free 1k for taking a province. :D