• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I bring this here, since it'd help a bunch of us if you could add the information to the flags reference guide.
How can I replicate the effect Paradox gave to species emblems? That golden bevel gradient thing.

Been trying to mimic it on Photoshop, but I can't do so 100%.

Is there any chance Paradox can provide us with a .PSD file with the exact layer effect they've used for the official flag emblems?

Reactions:
Flag reference guide serves to give you txt code needed to mod those flags (I did it because I found it painful to check through dozens of dds files in gimp just to find out "what is the code for this eagle symbol I wanna give my empire") - I know nothing about modding graphics aspect itself. I only know few things about txt modding of empires ;)

I made description more clear

Last edited:
Some things I have learned but cannot go further.

Template
File:
a
  • Example

File: 00_buildings.txt
  • is_orbital: Does nothing, it appears they wanted to make all buildings in the buildings folder but then changed it to space port modules.
  • It appears you cannot name your own buildings all names come out to be "sm_<ModuleTitle>"
File: 00_spaceport_modules.txt
  • It appears you cannot name your own modules all names come out to be "sm_<ModuleTitle>"
File: 00_static_modifiers.txt
  • Each function/method has its own list of hidden properties, this file only shows a few of them. you can place modifiers inside each function "country_core_sector_planet_cap" EX:
Code:
empire_base =
{
   max_rivalries = 3
   max_embassies = 3
   country_core_sector_planet_cap = 1
}

I can't, doesn't matter what I do to make my custom desc and start screen to work.
My custom desc appears empty, and my start screen shows only my country flag. I must be doing something wrong but I can't see what.
It should be working as far as I can see.

If someone can help me please do. Attached are the files of the mod.

Attachments

• interesting-races.rar
    3,8 KB · Views: 19
@Stoltverd Your description ptoblem is simple: You're overlooking a typo
Code:
selectively breed and evolve.\n\n\When the species reached sentience
should only be \n\n not \n\n\
Btw. your start screen description is about two lines too long and overlapping the box. Also, instead of calling it "00_prescripted_countries.txt", just call it something else, otherwise conflicts might arise. It doesn't matter what most files are called, as long as they are in the right place.

Reactions:
Thank you so much!
I'll test that in the morning and see if everything works.
I used 00_prescripted because I don't want any other prescripted empire to show. This is the groundwork for an overhaul.

Discovered another problem u.u
Added a custom AI and diplo phrases. Tried to test them so I created a random mammalian on a tiny galaxy with only one ai. Since in the file I set it to always spawn it should have, right? I just found a random republic.

has someone created a custom star system for their empire yet? b/c I can't seem to script in planet modifiers or strategic resources. i checked the example.txt file in common\solar_system_initializers and added the exact same lines, but it only generates the system without any of the resources.

Reactions:
Thank you so much!
I'll test that in the morning and see if everything works.
I used 00_prescripted because I don't want any other prescripted empire to show. This is the groundwork for an overhaul.

Discovered another problem u.u
Added a custom AI and diplo phrases. Tried to test them so I created a random mammalian on a tiny galaxy with only one ai. Since in the file I set it to always spawn it should have, right? I just found a random republic.

Type "observe" in console (opened with ` button on keyboard) and check if that's truly the only empire on the map (there are often primitives who in 2200 are 'early space age' and advance quickly to FTL so you barely can see them apart from 'day 0' empires). That's weird.

It's all working!
However... I did use the "observe" command and found out that the custom empire was there... and near it was a randomized advanced empire. Plus a fallen empire the other side of the galaxy.

Edit: Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the awesome guides! Am playing around with it a bit now, my goal is to determine if there is any way to create a custom Empire and have it start the game with certain techs already researched. Have tried the tech keyword like this:

tech = "tech_missiles_3"

But doesn't work. Has anyone discovered any similar method of having a custom empire start the game with certain techs already researched?

What may cause a custom made empire to not apear on the selection screen?

I figured it out: With the newest patch, if any of the sections is red/invalid, the race will not show up. My problem were I re-named the name_lists, thus they showed up as invalid and thus the species were removed from the list. Check if everything is valid, such as working naming list reference, not too many/over budget ethics or traits etc. (P.S. if you want to go over budget with your traits purposefully, simply make your own traits, set their "cost = 0" and make them "initial = no")

Would it make sense to merge this Colors and flags reference guide with the Flag_modding wiki page? Asking because I'm one of these helping hand that tries to organize it in a logical, easy to use way.

Is there a way to create an empire with multiple species from the start, for example like the Federation or the Covenant? So it pregenerates with a number of different species.

I'm having an enormous amount of trouble getting the localization .yml to load (either that, or pointing at it correctly).
I've double checked everything but the text just doesn't load. On the "pick your race" screen there is no text blurb for my race, and if editing custom details in-game the system initializer name and description show as unprocessed variable names instead of the localized/processed text.

Are there any common mistakes I might check for before I post a more detailed report, with files?