• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LumberKing

Philosopher
106 Badges
Dec 16, 2013
www.christianforums.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Schisms_HeresiesElr2m.jpg

Schisms & Heresies: Religious Events & Decisions

Compared to most games (at least the ones I've played so far), Paradox Development Studio has done quite a fantastic job in representing them as accurately as possible while also making them fun with Crusader Kings II. However, like all good things, there are certain things missing and when developers decide not to implement these features then it is up to the modders to see if that was a good decision or not. With that I present to you my very first mod; Schisms & Heresies. Like the name suggests, it adds new decisions and events in regards to heresies and schisms of the religions of Crusader Kings II.

Requirements
- Crusader Kings II version 2.2

Recommended
- Legacy of Rome
- Sons of Abraham

Installation
  1. Download the mod from the link below
  2. Delete any existing version
  3. Extract the downloaded content to: ***My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
  4. Enjoy

Current Features
- The Petrine See system for Miaphysites and Nestorians.
- Mending of various schisms. Christian religions that are not Orthodox, can now also mend schisms. Instead of a one size fits all, each religion must find a way to resolves their differences between every single one of them in a different way
- The Holy Site for the Miaphysites is no longer in Makuria, but has instead been moved to the more accurate Dwin where the Bishopric of Etchmiadzin exist.
- The Holy Site for the Nestorian is no longer in Rayy, but has instead been moved to Calcut which is in a general area of one of the Seven Churches Saint Thomas found.
- The Headquarters of the Patriarch of the East is no longer in Antioch, but has been moved to Baghdad which is near where the ancient twin-cities of Seleucia-Ctesiphon used to be; the real life area of where the see was founded.
- Dynamic heresies. Heresies are now more likely to appear in cultural areas they were historically prevalent in.
- New decisions (schisms only so far) and events.
- New heresies.
- Unify Islam by conquering and converting key Islamic centres.
- Manichaeanism now a separate religion with Mandaeanism as its heresy.
- Karaite Jews and Samaritans now have a religious head.
- New religious events.
- All Gnostic influenced religions has access to the Absolute Cognatic succession law.
- Absolute Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession laws has been enabled for Gnostic and West African religions.
- The 10% restrictions on republic and theocracy vassals has been removed.
- Changes and fixes to localisation.

Planned Features
- Various decisions and events for heresies as well as for their parent religions.
- Potential decisions, events, and mechanics for inter-religious interactions.
- Localisation for other languages.
- Arts, icons and other aesthetics.
- Of course, lots more!

So far, that's what I have done and what I intend on doing. There are plenty of bugs to be fixed and as such I'd say this is currently on Alpha stage. If anyone is willing to help, that will be fantastic.

Screenshots

- Coming Soon -

Downloads: View attachment SchismsHeresies009.zip (Beware: this is Alpha so expect plenty of things to just not work, use at own risk)

Changelogs

Version 0.0.9
- Updated for compatibility with Art of War
- Updated for compatibility with Way of Life (Beta)
- Added Hussite Wars events (working in progress)
- Added the ability for Muslim Theologians who are mystics to convert to Sufism
- Removed heads of religions for Hellenic Paganism and Generic Paganism
- Renamed the Zoroastrian Group to the Dualistic Group

Older Versions
Version 0.0.8
- Updated for compatibility with Charlemagne
- Added Papal Schism events (working in progress)
- Made Manichaeanism the main religion and Mandaeanism the heresy
- Removed "Lucifer" from the "Evil God" section for most Christians (last patch)

Version 0.0.7
- The long awaited Petrine See system! (Thanks to Voltspark)
- Added Maronite Mini-Events and Titles
- Fixed a bug where the Pope will take previous holdings as well as being called "Cardinal"
- Changed the "Unify Islam" decision to be available for Islamic Caliphs
- Some other minor stuff

Version 0.0.6
- Zurvanite heresy for the Zoroastrians
- Kabbalah heresy for the Jews
- Ibadi Islam no longer a heresy (I bet the devs to it :D)
- Sufi Islam
- Mandaeanism with Manichaeanism as its heresy
- Zun Paganism
- Renamed the Zoroastrian Group to the Persian Group
- Renamed the Sympathy for the Zoroastrian trait to the Sympathy for the Persian Religions trait
- A non-heretical Caliph (or Sheik) can now unify Islam if he holds key Islamic centres (based on Europa Universalis "Unify Islam" decision)
- Changed localisation of the Hurufi Head from Caliph to Sheik
- Added High Priesthoods (Religious Heads) for the Karaite Jews and the Samaritans
- Samaritans can no longer build the Third Temple in Jerusalem
- Added the ability for the Samaritans to restore the Holy Mountain in Mount Sinai
- The Bektashi Order are now a Sufi Military Order
- Added a bunch of Military Orders for the Sufi
- Made Hellenic Pagans and Generic Pagans actually playable (sorta)
- Updated the Converter

Version 0.0.5
- Catholics can no longer mend the schisms via conquest, they now have to send in requests for Council*
- Orthodoxy must negotiate with the Miaphysites and Nestorians to bring them back into communion
- Latin Patriarchates as titular titles for the various episcopal sees, though be warned, as this may prevent healing of schisms
- Temporarily disabled the Hussite events (until I can sort out the preceding events)
- Included a custom converter (only difference at the moment being religions kinda converting correctly)
- Fixed some localisation errors

Version 0.0.4
- Councils & Synods implemented. Well, sort of... Actually, it totally doesn't work
- Events based on capturing certain provinces as Miaphysites or Nestorians should work
- Some localisation fix
- Major Archbishops are now called Metropolitan Archbishop
- Eutychianism removed altogether, Messalianism is once again the sole Nestorian heresy

Version 0.0.3
- The Hussite War is now finally active! Though yet to be fully implemented, be prepared for these Lollard wannabes...
- Fixed and improved some of the historically dynamic heresy mod
- Fixed some localisation problem
- Improved my writing skills ever so slightly on some of the event texts

Version 0.0.2
- Miaphysites and Nestorians can now mend the various schisms
- A lot of the Hussite events has had their triggers changed
- The Hussite War should initiate during the late-game (it is still not fully functional)
- Various localisation fixes
- Games in other languages will now display in English instead of giant "FRENCH" or "GERMAN"

Version 0.0.1
- Moved Holy Site for the Miaphysites from Makuria to Dwin
- Moved Holy Site for the Nestorian from Rayy to Calcut
- Moved for the Headquarters of the Patriarch of the Eastfrom Antioch to Baghdad
- Added dynamic heresies dependent on cultures
- Absolute Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession laws has been enabled for Gnostic and West African religions
- The 10% restrictions on republic and theocracy vassals has been removed
- Changed stuff on localisation

Compatibility

Due to the changing of core files, this mod is very likely to be incompatible with most mods especially the big ones (HIP, CK2+, et cetera). However, priority will be given to make it compatible with my own mods so that they are modular.

Credits

Cuthuthulu for his CK2-EU4 Converter Improvement Project Mod.
jordakelf for his No more heresies Mini-Mod.
Voltspark for his The Petrine Sees Mod.

Last edited:
Cool. I'm always up for a mod improving heresies.

Interesting, LumberKing! You can count on my support for this, and just ask if you later want some help for french localization.

Interesting, LumberKing! You can count on my support for this, and just ask if you later want some help for french localization.

Oh dude, that will be great! However, only after I finish the English ones first or else it's going to be a nightmare trying to find the correct one, lol!

At the moment, I could do with some suggestions and also bug reports, really.

Do you plan to have as the mod adds hussites and seems to be general catholic flavour, some stuff for the Albenigesan Crusade? Enlil was making a mod for that, but as he is currently doing the 480 mod maybe you could use that? For the succesion laws for african, is that just an exception or do you plan to add more to that religion?

For testing, is the beta required? For me it is kind of broken so I can not use that.

Last edited:
Do you plan to have as the mod adds hussites and seems to be general catholic flavour, some stuff for the Albenigesan Crusade? Enlil was making a mod for that, but as he is currently doing the 480 mod maybe you could use that? For the succesion laws for african, is that just an exception or do you plan to add more to that religion?

For testing, is the beta required? For me it is kind of broken so I can not use that.

I'm going to flesh out Hussites as much as possible in terms of events and maybe decisions, but I do intend them to be a Lollard clone for now. As Alcadizzar19 once said, "to summarize, heretics exist so that the stake industry stays in business", I have no intention of diverging from that unless it is a lot more historically plausible relative to their parent's religion if I make them more interesting.

It really does depend on that. Enlil is doing his own stuff, so I'd rather leave it like that since I do want to leave this mod kinda small. However, if I can add to it without making the mod to big and Enlil wants me to do it then I guess I wouldn't mind.

The succession laws for Africans is based on a presumption that certain (or most) African tribes preferred enatic over agnatic. I might consider allowing it based on culture also and maybe even excluding them from the standard agnatic succession if it can be proved that this was more correct.

I'm currently using the Beta patch (cause that way I get a shiny Linux Launcher), hence why I say you have to use it. If it does work on the previous patch, then great!

Regardless, this is only a pre-Alpha so there is much work to be done!

I'm currently using the Beta patch (cause that way I get a shiny Linux Launcher), hence why I say you have to use it. If it does work on the previous patch, then great!

I also (partially) use Linux and the launcher is good, but it is to me the beta is already in vanilla a bit unstable, and I'm afraid I'm a bit bad on making bug reports.

It really does depend on that. Enlil is doing his own stuff, so I'd rather leave it like that since I do want to leave this mod kinda small. However, if I can add to it without making the mod to big and Enlil wants me to do it then I guess I wouldn't mind.

For leaving the mod small, do you have some kind of limit or some scope? I say that because there are a lot of christan-religion related minimods that would be good in a big religious flavour mod, and the authours would probably also accept integratation.

Also, you seem to have a lot of good ideas regarding christian religion in general (atleast in that thread about schisms) so I'm happy to se this becomming a mod! ;)

Last edited:
I also (partially) use Linux and the launcher is good, but it is to me the beta is already in vanilla a bit unstable, and I'm afraid I'm a bit bad on making bug reports.

Don't worry about it. Just report it if it's obvious that it is the mod that is causing it.

For leaving the mod small, do you have some kind of limit or some scope? I say that because there are a lot of christan-religion related minimods that would be good in a big religious flavour mod, and the authours would probably also accept integratation.

Nah, truth be told, the reason this mod is small it is because all it involves is a whole bunch of texts. I have no intention of making another HIP or CK2+ mod, nor even VIET (though it'll be closer to the VIET). What I'm doing for now it is adding what I thought should've been in the vanilla so it can get highly subjective. However, if the feature cool, then I really don't care how big the mod gets though it'll mean more difficulty sharing.

Also, you seem to have a lot of good ideas regarding christisan religion in general (atleast in that thread about schisms) so I'm happy to se this becomming a mod! ;)

I guess you can say that Christian theology and ecclesiology are part of my hobby hence the interest. Of course, I don't intend this mode to be too exclusive to Christians (make it like Sons of Abraham, clearly favour one, but not completely neglect the other ;) ).

Yeah, I'm happy this becoming a mod also!

Oh yeah, an update might be coming it's way.

On another note, for the localization (I play the game in french) leave the cases without any text, as that will (thanks to paradox for making this once again) show the text in it's english version instead of just showing "FRENCH".

Very nice! Although personally I think you're trying to make your scopes too broad by modding beyond heresies. I would try to keep things as historical and compressed as possible for maximum compatibility.

Version 0.0.2 Pre-Alpha (Checksum ZQRJ)

Download is up on the OP or you can get it here.

Okay, the second version is up and here is the first changelog.

Code:
Changelog:
- Miaphysites and Nestorians can now mend the various schisms.
- A lot of the Hussite events has had their triggers changed.
- The Hussite War should initiate during the late-game (it is still not fully functional).
- Various localisation fixes.
- Games in other languages will now display in English instead of giant "FRENCH" or "GERMAN".

The thing about mending the schism has been moved to the OP.

Last edited:
Looks good, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

Been looking for a mod that does something with the schisms and heresies, as they seem a bit...unfinished?

The one thing I did for Lollards was to give them feudal temples, since they were opposed to any form of church wealth. They thought that priests should only travel the world giving help and salvation to those they met. I thought that having Lollard priests go from court to court, causing trouble for non-Lollards might be a nice flavor thing for them too.

Version 0.0.3 Alpha (Checksum TQFG)

Download is up on the OP or you can get it here.

Alright, the third version is up and I decided to promote it to a full Alpha!

Code:
Changelog:
- The Hussite War is now finally active! Though yet to be fully implemented, be prepared for these Lollard wannabes...
- Fixed and improved some of the historically dynamic heresy mod.
- Fixed some localisation problem.
- Improved my writing skills ever so slightly on some of the event texts. ;)

Though only a few things changed, that Hussite War took me so long since I had no idea what I was doing. With that out of the way, now I can concentrate on other things as well as improving the current things we have. Also, yeah, the whole Hussite War thing is the very reason why I decided to drop the "Pre-Alpha" status in favour of the "Alpha" status. It's still far from perfect, but at least it works now without breaking the game.

Last edited:
Why are the versions labeled 0.0.1 then 0.0.3 and 0.0.5? Just a bit confusing to me.

For art and icons, you could maybe ask Annaxxhipos?

EDIT: And just tell me when you want the localization so I can start. Maybe better after the alpha though.

Why are the versions labeled 0.0.1 then 0.0.3 and 0.0.5? Just a bit confusing to me.

For art and icons, you could maybe ask Annaxxhipos?

EDIT: And just tell me when you want the localization so I can start. Maybe better after the alpha though.

The two step jumps signifies a significant improvement in my opinion. The first update (second upload), I did a lot of fixes and added new stuff while the second update (third upload) the Hussite War debacle was a big thing for me. Also, the number represents how far away they are from Alpha, hence the skipping.

Miaphysite and Nestorian medning schism descisions don't appear ingame atm

Have you vassalised the Coptic Pope as the Miaphysites and the Patriarch of the East as the Nestorians?