• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azarias59

Field Marshal
34 Badges
Mar 8, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Rank & File
Compatible with CK2 version 3.0​
Screen_Shot_2015_07_28_at_10_02_10_PM.png

What is Rank & File?
Glad you asked! It is a mod that I have been working on for some time now, and that has primarily been created for my own personal use. Now that I have most of the bugs worked out, I thought it would be worth sharing with you all.

What does it add?

Dowager Titles - Upon the death of her titled husband, a widow will retain her dowager title until she remarries or inherits an equal or higher title in her own right. If certain criteria is met, she will be given dispensation to use the title even if she remarries. Additionally, as long as the title is valid she will dress as she did during the marriage (ex. Queen Dowagers can wear their crown and royal clothes).

Courtesy Royal Titles - Wives of legitimate sons of Kings or Emperors will be called "Princess" and will dress in the same manner as would any prince or princess. Parents of Kings, if they hold no higher title, will be called "Lord" or "Lady", and will dress the same as a prince or princess.

Courtesy Noble Titles - Legitimate children of Dukes, legitimate dynastic grandchildren of Kings/Emperors, and bastard children of Kings/Emperors will be called "Lord" or "Lady" prefixed to their first and last names. This courtesy extends to their wives and widows as well. Anyone who is called "Lord" or "Lady" will dress in the same clothes that a Count or Countess would wear.

Fixes for the French Portraits - Uncrowned Emperors, Uncrowned Kings, and Princes wear the wrong headgear when using the new French portraits. This mod fixes that.

Cancels Bad AI Betrothals - Have you ever seen a 12-year-old boy betrothed to a 35-year-old woman? Well, that is a thing of that. This mod periodically cancels all AI betrothals where the woman is more than 20 years older than the boy she is betrothed to.

Change Education Type - Have you ever had your heir inherit a title and pick a stupid education focus? Now you can right-click on their portrait and manually choose it for them! (Note: This is still a WIP and there isn't full localization for the events).

Download Link:
[See the last page of this thread]

Compatibility:
To play this with a mod that alters portrait_properties.txt, you have to replace the portrait_properties with the one from my mod or merge them together.

Credits:
Me
Hexinobus Primas (French Localization)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Please bear in mind that this is something like a beta release. I have not added localisation for the event texts yet, and there may be a few bugs. If you find something, please post it here.

Cool mod. Any way that it an be made retroactive, ie if I play as a Duke with a widowed mother will she gain Duchess/ of Holland (using your example)?

No, unfortunately. It will only hand out titles going forward.

While I'm posting this here, I'll let you guys know that there is a bug: the dowager Countess and Baroness titles are for some reason not being handed out. I'll get it fixed soon.

Looks cool. With your permission, I would like to incorporate this for my Grand Schism mod sometime in the near future.

Compatibility:
To play this with a mod that alters the on_actions.txt or portrait_properties.txt, you have to replace the portrait_properties with the one from my mod, and you simply have to combine the on_actions from the two mods. It's not hard, but when HIP updates, I'll make a compatibility patch.

To help with compatibility, you can load on_actions from a separate file since patch 2.4 !
There's no such solution for portrait_properties.txt though.

Reactions:
Nice. I love mods like this that add little things that improve immersion.

New Version Released - v1.1

Changelog
  • The new minor titles are now hidden from the honorary titles view.
  • May or may not have fixed a few bugs.

Still planning on releasing princely titles for wifes and children of princes. But the code is proving to be cumbersome.

Now, this looks interesting. :)
Thank you. :)

Titles for wives of princes are coming in the next release. Just need to fix a bug where the nickname scopes to the wrong holding.

Also, I am aware of a bug where a dowager's 'realm' nickname is not removed when she marries a new ruler if her child is the new ruler. A fix for that is coming in the next release as well.

Could you make a title for concubines since they are somewhat royalty?
If you can find me an article that states that in X culture, concubines shared their "husband's" dignities like a true wife, then I will patch it in for the specified culture. Currently, however, I have no intention of doing this, as I am under the impression that they were little more than "official" mistresses of pagan rulers.

Last edited: