[MOD] Population & Industrial Growth - What if Darkest Hour was more like Victoria?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedZeppelin

Fleet Lord Atvar
71 Badges
Mar 21, 2015
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Rome Gold
Population & Industrial Growth
index.jpg

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Hmm, isn't a bit unrealistic that the government is the only thing that builds factories throughout the game?" or "Wow, I wish there was some way to grow the peacetime manpower of my country"

Well you sir... have very obscure tastes :p

But those obscure tastes shall be fulfilled today! Introducing the all new, improved, mega, ultra, badass mod that lets you do all that and more!

Key Features:
  • The National Census (Track the growth/decline of your population through the census)
  • Immigration Control (Allow more people into the country, Increases dissent)
  • Peacetime Economy Vs. Wartime Economy (A new system replacing Free Market vs. Central Planning to better simulate and balance the wartime and peacetime economies of the time)
  • New Dissent System (Instead of lowered IC and the occasional partisan revolt, you'll be met with civil wars, communist revolutions, factory bombings, and a whole lot more)
  • Population Decline (Your population can leave either by the national census or by emigration)

Bonus Features (will be added after release):
  • Damaged cities (Each time a major city changes hands, there will be a chance that that city will receive some permanent IC, manpower, or Infrastructure damage)
  • Integration for other mods (After I've finished making this mod for the base game I'll start porting it to other mods on the forums if I get permission, the first on my list will be Kaiserreich)
  • Bonus Events (This is essentially giving the major powers 'special' versions of the generic events, for example, the USA will have a super immigration decision and Germany will be able to gain more population from national census events)
  • Alternate History (Yes I will be adding some alternate history options to nations in the base version of my mod. One of these options will be a communist France)

FAQ:
What is this mod?
This is a mod about population and industrial growth! Didn't you read the title? o_O

What does it do?
It changes several of the old systems in Darkest Hour such as Dissent, IC production, unit production. And also adds several new ones such as Population growth and Peacetime Economy Vs. Wartime Economy

What does this mod aim to accomplish?
What I hope to achieve with this mod is a version of Darkest Hour where you can play longer than 20 years before it all goes to shit. We all know how hard it is for long term games of Darkest Hour to stay balanced and sustainable, my mod plans to fix that by limiting countries during peacetime and making it easier for rebels to damage your economy

When will it be released?
In a month...maybe...ish

Do you need any help?
Nah, I've found working by myself is far less stressful than by in a group and this won't be a massively difficult mod to make.
Feel free to suggest any new ideas down in the comments though!

Last edited:
Very interesting premise. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Given the relatively short timeframe of DH, I doubt that birth incentives can realistically increase the population (= manpower in the game) unless you plan to play from the 30s to at least the mid 50s. I mean, all the draftable men have already been born at the start of the game. I guess it would take at least 20 years to actually see the effects of birth incentives.

The coolest thing about the DH map is that in it's provinces.csv it has realistic values for manpower. Where each provincial manpower point equals 1 million people. Despite the war and due too the effects of chemical fertilizer, agricultural mechanization, storage/distribution technology and methods the world population was increasing at over 1% per year. Which was double the 19th centuries annual growth. So realistically starting at 2,205 million in 1936 the net world population should increase by 23 million per year. Now how that translates into a nation's manpower pool or how a nation's government can make use of non-military industrial complexes isn't realistic at all. There is also room for much less base game resources and the investment of prospecting and better refinment as the years go on which should exponentially increase a nations stockpiling capability. Adversely, there should be a steady decline in provincial resources due to petering mines and wells etc. Generally, the Axis nations should be one step ahead of reserve depletion which is the reason they were so belligerant while their enemies controlled 99% of the world's resources and markets.

Perhaps your mod can solve this problem and tie the loose ends of Darkest Hour together. The major problem being that there are way to many divisions by 1941 and if played through the war than nearly 30% of service aged males (250 million by 1945) would be casualties or in fighting formations world wide. Which is about 3 times too high. Darkest Hour includes a lot of fluff and some basic improvements over HoI2 but, long term it falls flat in comparative gameplay. It fails as a simulation just as HoI2 did due too lack of details in it's economic model and unrealistic production capabilities.

http://worldpopulationhistory.org/

Last edited:
Developer Diary 1: The National Census & Immigration

Hey, everyone, I thought I'd create a more standardized form of updates for the mod so should expect a developer diary every so often while I develop the mod.

Anyway, let's crack on

The National Census:

The national census is a 10 year program that all nations will have access to. How it works is that you select one of the options listed on the decision, and then 10 years later you will see how the population has changed.

upload_2017-8-21_12-36-19.png

upload_2017-8-21_12-37-31.png

Several things to keep in mind with the national cenus are:
A. Democratic nations can only select No Subsidies up to Medium Subsidies, and Fascist/Communist nations can't select No Subsidies
B. The results are semi-random, so just because you selected Full State Support doesn't mean you'll always get high population growth

Now Some of you might be thinking "Well, that all looks pretty decent so far. But how will democracies grow their manpower pool if they can only select a certain level on the national census?"

Well that's a very good question, and the answer is Immigration!

Immigration:

Immigration works very differently from the census, for one thing, only democratic countries can have immigration. This was done to balance out the two systems, but also because people don't tend immigrate to Authoritarian countries.
Another thing that makes immigration unique is that there isn't a yearly schedule for when immigration events pop up. All events relating to immigration have a chance of firing over a set period of time, and you can turn them off whenever you want.

upload_2017-8-21_12-48-41.png

upload_2017-8-21_12-50-8.png

upload_2017-8-21_12-51-12.png

upload_2017-8-21_12-51-55.png

Do be careful though, some of the events relating to immigration can cause quite a few problems

upload_2017-8-21_12-53-33.png

That's all for now, the next diary will be about Emigration & Free Market Vs. Central Planning

Last edited:
I always wanted to make a domestic policy decision tree. Where all the national policy sliders were locked except by events within the tree like mobilisation is. Giving each of the domestic policies events instead of silly slider clicks gives a lot more flavor and functionality with the engine. I suggest making a front-end 'Domestic Policies' wrapper for all of the events so that the decision list isn't cluttered. It is obvious that alot of good ideas within Darkest Hour development were only experimentally implemented and I think something like this was planned but, too labor intensive.

Last edited:
Immigration.png

tenor.gif

Hey Soros! This is Chutzpah! Do not get angry! Muaahahah!

I'm interested. This has the potential to be the height of Paradox games.

The Free Market IC thing seems a bit imbalanced though.
Not really, ever noticed how centrally planned economies increase existing ic and efficiency by force in the game at the expense of income?..it is because their general industries do not grow that much. Sound why is required to stay alto at while totally free market economics can grow quite rapidly.

Last edited:
Not really, eve nl Fed how centrally planned economies increase existing if by force in the game at the expense of income?..it is because their general industries do not grow that much. Sound why is required to stay alto at while totally free market economics can grow quite rapidly.
Woah, your grammar is atrocious to read, and in Darkest Hour you don't really get events for building IC while being free market as being Centrally planned gives you the most IC (+20% IC compared to being free market at the max slider values). Besides all of the IC you build counts as government built IC as you produce it through your production lines.

Developer Diary 2: Emigration & Political Violence

Ok before we even start I have some bad news.

If you couldn't already tell by the title, there won't be any screenshots on Free Market Vs. Central Planning :(
This was because of a fundamental flaw in the way I designed the events and because of that, I had to remake the whole thing from scratch, undoing hours of work. But I also didn't want to leave you guys with nothing to look at for ages so I rushed out another part of the mod which was a lot simpler to make

Anyways, hopefully I'll have the new system finished in a couple weeks (I'm going on holiday next week so don't hold your breath) and then you'll be able to see the new changes.

Just in case that doesn't satisfy you though...

upload_2017-8-30_16-25-39.png

Onwards to the Dairy!

Emigration

Emigration works similarly to immigration, but reversed!

upload_2017-8-30_16-29-53.png

upload_2017-8-30_16-30-57.png

You have to pick a policy on how whether or not people may leave. This is only a problem for Authoritarian countries and is mostly a way to balance the advantages that they get from other events and decisions (More on that some other time) ;)

However, if some of you are thinking "LOL I just won't pick an emigration policy, that way I can avoid all the negative events" Then I have some bad news for you

upload_2017-8-30_16-38-9.png

This will happen if you don't pick a policy, so make sure it's the first thing you do!

Political Violence

Political Violence (aka, civil wars, communist revolutions, nationalist uprisings) Essentially replaces the old dissent system. Unlike before where every time you got a bit of dissent your revolt risk would go up and your IC would drop, now whenever your dissent level reaches a certain threshold (say 20 dissent) then there will be a chance for one of these events to spawn

upload_2017-8-30_17-2-26.png

upload_2017-8-30_17-3-37.png

upload_2017-8-30_17-5-39.png

upload_2017-8-30_17-6-20.png

upload_2017-8-30_17-17-58.png

I did this because I thought it was too unrealistic that people would rise up in one man partisan bands only to get immediately slaughtered by your advanced tank divisions, or that they would just stop working at a factory as soon as they were fed up with the government's bullshit (funny as both those things are :D) Something else that I want to stress that may not have been clear before,
ALL THESE EVENTS WILL COVER EVERY NATION ON THE PLANET
That means that whichever nation you choose to play as (yes even the mighty Costa Rica) will experience these events

Phew, I think that's everything.

The next Diary will exclusively cover Wartime Economy Vs. Peacetime Economy

Edit: Sorry for the poor quality on the pictures this time guys, I forgot to change the settings on Darkest Hour