• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vanin

Colonel
72 Badges
May 7, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
The men of the deep forests of Germania pray to their war-god Wodanaz, as the lords of the Mediterranean cities tremble in fear of their arrival. Will you lead your tribe to victory and unite Barbaricum against the soft southerners, or will your people forever curse your name and live in squalor?

We are announcing BARBARICUM, a mod focused on better representing the vast reaches of central Europe in the 3rd century BC. Through meticulous research we have been able to craft a more historical and colorful world of Europe's Barbaricum. From the black forests of Scandinavia to the wind-swept fields of Pannonia, play as new Germanic and Celtic tribes and secure your place in this hostile world where only the strong may thrive.

Features:
- Over 150 new tags in Britain, Germania, Gaul, Rhaetia, Pannonia and Scandinavia. Among those the Chatti, the Iverni, the Galatian tribes and the Batavi
- Formable Lugia or Vandalia for Vandal tribes depending on whether or not you want to introduce foreign influence into your country
- Formable Francia and Rhaetia if you manage to unite your home region
- Overhauled cultures for the European Barbaricum
- Several new CoAs for Barbarian tribes
- Flavour events for Aremorican nations
- Decisions for Vindelician and Lepontic nations

Research threads:
- https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/furor-teutonicus-archaeology-and-tribes-of-the-ancient-germanics.1161206/page-2
- https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-celtic-invasion-of-greece-and-the-celts-in-pannonia-and-transylvania.1147295/

Version 1.3.1 released!

Steam link:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1730052951

Changelog:
  • Compatibility with 1.2 (Cicero beta) and 1.1 (Pompeius patch)
Old Version for 1.1 (Pompeius):
Can be manually downloaded here.
(Uses monarch power as ressource unlike 1.3.1 and is expected to be more stable)

Last edited:
modpic1.png
modpic2.png
modpic3.png
modpic4.png
modpic5.png
modpic6.png
modpic_6.png
modpic_7.png
modpic_8.png

Last edited:
Version 1.1
Version 1.1 released!

Steam link:

Changelog:
* Re-organized Alpine region with many new tribes and a formable Rhaetia
* New tribes in Aquitania and Armorica
* Many new coats of arms for tribes in Germania (Suebia, Lugia, Marcomanni...)
* Altered culture setup across much of Europe
* German language support added

In the case that anybody is wondering, here are the screens for the changes:
modpic_6.png

modpic_7.png

modpic_8.png

Version 1.2 released!

Steam link:

Changelog:
  • Split Getia into several smaller tags and make Getia a formable.
  • Fixed the setup in Moesia Superior and Inferior and added new tags there
  • Reworked the setup in Illyria and Pannonia
  • Reworked the setup in Liguria, which is now also a formable
  • Reworked the setup in Sardinia and Corsica
  • Made Caledonia, Pritania and Hibernia exclusive to their appropriate regions
  • Several bugfixes
Planned next version (1.3):
  • Compatibility with Pompey
  • Addition of first few flavour elements (events, decisions, ...) for certain cultures, e.g. Gallizenae for Aremoricans and Gaesatae for Lepontics
2019_05_13_1.png

2019_06_17_9.png

2019_06_17_8.png

2019_06_17_3.png

Version 1.3 released!

Steam link:

Changelog:
  • Compatibility with 1.1.1 (Pompeius patch)
  • New events for Aremorican nations (Brittany)
  • New decisions for Lepontic and Vindelician tags
Planned next version (1.3.1):
  • Compatibility with 1.2 (Cicero beta); scheduled release: tomorrow as opt-in
2019_07_06_1.png

Last edited:

Attachments

• Barbaricum.rar
    3,4 MB · Views: 39
Just want to say I hope y'all don't abandon this, even if it's just too keep the court and cultural changes updated with new versions. I dropped Palando a message the other day, but wanted to post here too for visibility. With the addition of cities and settlements, the setup files for the mod are now broken. I walked through the whole thing and merged in those changes and a few other more minor ones from the beta with the mod so I could run it on my end (I really like the more fleshed out barbarian areas)

I'm offering to help keep it updated if y'all are interested. I work with excel and large data sets pretty extensively at work, so that kind of thing is kind of right up my alley, lol

Just want to say I hope y'all don't abandon this, even if it's just too keep the court and cultural changes updated with new versions. I dropped Palando a message the other day, but wanted to post here too for visibility. With the addition of cities and settlements, the setup files for the mod are now broken. I walked through the whole thing and merged in those changes and a few other more minor ones from the beta with the mod so I could run it on my end (I really like the more fleshed out barbarian areas)

I'm offering to help keep it updated if y'all are interested. I work with excel and large data sets pretty extensively at work, so that kind of thing is kind of right up my alley, lol
I forgot to update it here, too. Anyway, it ended up badly timed as another version was released today not even two days after the last update. So here we go again :confused:

Today's changes are 90% code changes and/or files not touched by the mod. EASY stuff. I just made a backup of I:R 1.2.4 to comp the differences. Key will be finding where they added in the 'alternative' trade goods for cities on originally food producing provinces. It's not in the provinces_setup file like I'd hoped. I'm about to look into it.

The trade good change for cities is done by event (see 00_event_effects, replace_food_after_city_upgrade_effect={} for the weights), so no changes there. They swapped a lot of trade goods in province_setup and made a few changes to setup.txt to merge

Edit:
Just finished looking at changes to provinces_setup. Like I said, LOTS of province goods swaps, associated with balancing food vs city provinces primarily, mostly swapping trade goods between two territories in various provinces. I can merge all of those unless there is any protest.

The only religion/culture change is territory 3541 forum Iulii in Alpes Miritimae. In both 1.2.4 and the current Barbaricum the religion is Druidism. They changed it to Roman Pantheon. I'll wait to see what you think on that one before making any changes.

Last edited:
I got this to work with the Gladio et Sale mod. But make no mistake, it is NOT compatible by default. And not sure if anyone who hasn't made mods would know how. Coming from EU4 it wasn't too hard, but there is quite a few changes to the file system etc.

Maybe there can be things that don't work, but from playing the past few hours seems fine to me. By default both mods can't be loaded out of the box, and Gladio et Sale appears to get overriden quite a bit once they do load (both mods have the map folder/file thing that cause a crash which deleting that from this mod fixes it. But almost nothing from this mod works once its loaded, and Gladio ends up seeming buggy).

So what I did was take this mod and just overwrite everything in the Gladio mod folder. I had actually the hardest time getting decisions to appear to form Vandal and what not, not sure still why that didn't work, must been missing something that got fixed overwriting stuff. I then copied the information from Gladio (the "important" stuff, or at least looked important) and added it to the correct files. Actually took longest (but was easy once I learned) to figure out why China didn't have any nations, but wiki helped with that. Nations are actually in setup.txt for some reason, very different than EU4 where nations each have their own text file.

And with that, got all the stuff from Gladio mod and all the stuff from this mod and both seem to work in the 4 hours or so I played. Took me a while to get it all worked out though.

As for the mod, this is really awesome. The events are cool, and all the new tribes are great. Tribes were really lacking, and I like all the new formable nations gives something to work toward. Thank you for all the work on it :)

I just played a game where I colonized all of the unoccupied territories in 50 years. But this is much better, I also like the idea of way more formable nations. That way you will face a Getia some game and in other games you won't, but you'll encouter other formables, with different modifiers and heritage and such. Thanks and keep up the great work.

I got this to work with the Gladio et Sale mod. But make no mistake, it is NOT compatible by default. And not sure if anyone who hasn't made mods would know how. Coming from EU4 it wasn't too hard, but there is quite a few changes to the file system etc.

Maybe there can be things that don't work, but from playing the past few hours seems fine to me. By default both mods can't be loaded out of the box, and Gladio et Sale appears to get overriden quite a bit once they do load (both mods have the map folder/file thing that cause a crash which deleting that from this mod fixes it. But almost nothing from this mod works once its loaded, and Gladio ends up seeming buggy).

So what I did was take this mod and just overwrite everything in the Gladio mod folder. I had actually the hardest time getting decisions to appear to form Vandal and what not, not sure still why that didn't work, must been missing something that got fixed overwriting stuff. I then copied the information from Gladio (the "important" stuff, or at least looked important) and added it to the correct files. Actually took longest (but was easy once I learned) to figure out why China didn't have any nations, but wiki helped with that. Nations are actually in setup.txt for some reason, very different than EU4 where nations each have their own text file.

And with that, got all the stuff from Gladio mod and all the stuff from this mod and both seem to work in the 4 hours or so I played. Took me a while to get it all worked out though.
When I first started this mod, my goal was to make it compatible with Gladio et Sale. This turned out to be unrealistic, as rivtaldm added new decisions, new provinces, new countries, new events, new military traditions, ... I'm still a bit sad about that, but there seems no easy way out of that.
As for the mod, this is really awesome. The events are cool, and all the new tribes are great. Tribes were really lacking, and I like all the new formable nations gives something to work toward. Thank you for all the work on it :)
I hope to add even more events in the future :) I've especially eyed the Lepontic Celts, Treverians, Belgae and Istvaeonics.
I just played a game where I colonized all of the unoccupied territories in 50 years. But this is much better, I also like the idea of way more formable nations. That way you will face a Getia some game and in other games you won't, but you'll encouter other formables, with different modifiers and heritage and such. Thanks and keep up the great work.
Being able to colonise that much territory and that fast is quite unrealistic; it's why I hope they reconsider the whole mechanic and come up with something different.

I'm actually surprised that Getia managed to form in your games, as it never happened in one of my test games :oops: I often see the formation of Vindelicia, Helvetia and Suebia.

You should upload a submod! I would love to try this but cannot play without GES’ changes