• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rivtaldm

VeF Team; URP/GeS Creator
50 Badges
Jan 4, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
In the spirit of the popular Veritas et Fortitudo mod (EUIV), the same deft touch of modding comes to breath life into Imperator:Rome and bring the player an altogether more real and immersive experience. With the stoppage of development on Imperator by Paradox, an opportunity exists to forge the future of Imperator through modding.

Gladio et Sale (With Sword and Salt)

Current Version 2.0 (for 2.0 'Marius' version)

Steam

Direct Download

Gladio et Sale is also available in a "light" version 2.0 without the expanded map for slower PCs or those who want the features without the added map.

Light Version - Steam

Light Version - Direct

The Vision: A mod that extends the timeline out to the fall of Rome (AD476) and expands the breadth of the map to cover China, Korea, Mongolia, and Indochina while adding flavor and mechanics that create a more immersive experience for players anywhere on the map.

Progress: Currently the mod reaches 843AUC (AD90) and the map has expanded to include China and Korea. The overhaul of culture and religious conversion is nearly complete after which the focus will shift to further flavor creation while the economic overhaul is planned.

Main Features:

Reworked map projection and aesthetic elements (terrain, height map, flattop) courtesy of Lambert Conformal Conic Projection mod

There is an in-game encyclopedia explaining these features and their operations which I encourage people to reference their first time playing (accessed from button in the topbar).
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.13.32 AM.png
GES_DateDisplay.png

* Expansion of the map to include China and Korea
GES_Map.png

* Significant adjustments to diplomacy including factors for subject acceptance and an option for non-tribal tributaries to convert to client states over time

* Rebalanced pop desired levels to create more realistic and dynamic pop spread

* Assimilation and Conversion functions overhauled to affect differing pop groups and culture groups at differing rates. These processes are dependent on first unifying your own culture groups and unified culture groups are resistant; thus should Rome conquer Iberia and Greece (after unifying the Italic cultures), Latin will displace the native languages of Hispania over time but Greece will remain inherently Greek.

* Rebalanced manpower and war exhaustion for more realistic army sizes and war effects

*New military traditions for Chinese, Illyrian/Dacian, and Iberian

* Cultures revamped: added Illyrian, Anatolian, and Caucasian culture groups; culture added to each culture group to represent foreigners acclimated to but never completely of your culture (E.G. 'Hellenized'). Moved Thracian to the Dacian culture group and created Thraikes culture for the Hellenic group; former Thracian pops now split between those two. Split the Tocharian culture group off from the Scythian.

* Added trade goods for copper, lead, silver, opium, wax, porcelain, tea, and jade
TradeGoods.png

* Added missions for Antigonids, Armenia, Egypt, Epirus, Macedon, Parthia, Persis, Pontus, Qin, Seleucids, Thrace

* Additional mechanic for Chinese philosophical schools.
HundredSchools.png

* Six metropolis buildings and some unique cultural buildings introduced
Settlement Buildings:
Farming, Fishing, and Pasture settlement buildings that produce extra food from freeman rather than slaves (For Grain/Vegetables,Fish, Livestock)
Hunting Settlement that produces extra food from tribesmen rather than slaves (For Wild Game)
Frontier Wall: Army Movement Speed -75%, Hostile Attrition +1, Hostile Food Multiplier -100% (Chinese military traditions)

The generic Port building only allows one level to be built; after that two subsequent levels can be built of either Mercantile OR Military port (or Cothon for Carthage).

City Buildings:
Military Port: Local Ship Recruit Speed +25%, Local Ship Start Experience +10, Local State Trade Routes +0.25
Mercantile Port: Local Migration Speed +10%, Local Migration Attraction +10%, Local State Trade Routes +0.75, Local Population Capacity +1, Local Monthly Food +15%
Cothon: Unique Carthaginian building that combines the benefits of Mercantile and Military ports
Necropolis: Local Happiness For Same Culture +10%, Local Defensiveness +10%, Local Pop Promotion Speed +25% (Unique to Etruscan culture)
Qanat: Aqueduct replacement for Persian culture group that adds +5 population capacity instead of +4
Stupa: Temple replacement for Buddhist religion that adds +15% Same-Religion happiness instead of +10%
Odeon: Equivalent to the theatre building; can be built in a province that already has a theatre making it the equivalent of having two of a building normally capped at 1 (Unique to Greek military traditions)

Metropolis Buildings:
Baths: Local Population Capacity +6, Local Pop Promotion Speed +25%
Gymnasium: Local Pop Promotion Speed +25%, Local manpower modifier +5% (this building is available to Cities for hellenic culture)
Training Camp: Local Unrest -1, Local starting experience + 5%
Library: Local Research Points +15%
Amphitheatre: Local Citizen Happiness +5%, Local Freeman Happiness +5%, Local Slaves Happiness -5%
Hippodrome: Local Citizen Happiness +2.5%, Local Freeman Happiness +2.5%

GES_Buildings.png

* Added two new unit types (javelins and slingers) for more variety in ranged units
Javelins - powerful vs heavy infantry, weak vs archers
Slingers - cheaper than archers, weaker vs armored units

Setup Changes:
*In many cities, tribesmen are now of a different culture than the remaining pops (E.G. In the Greek city states in Italy, the tribesmen are now the local Italic cultures instead of Greek).
*Greeks in Magna Graeca are now Italiote not Sicilian
*New tags added to Italy including Daunians, Vestini, Praetutii tribes and a number of Greek city-states.
*Corsica: pop rearrangement (fewer overall, more tribesman at expense of other pops); Etruria now starts with only one province on Corsica
*Rearranged Italy to accommodate new tags and more closely reflect history including that Umbria and Samnium are now tribal federations and Rome starts without the east-coast provinces
*Divided the Getae nation into four separate tags and added a decision to form united Getae tag.
*Added more tags to the empty Sarmatian lands in the Caucuses
* Split off Persis as a satrapy of the Seleucids

Minor Features:
* Date display can toggle between AUC/Gregorian (right-click)
GES_DateDisplay.png

* Popularity now factors into senate support as a sliding scale rather than a hard cutoff at 80
* Pop interaction buttons to sell slaves pops
* Variable name for Phrygia (Antigonids at start; only becomes Phrygia if they lose that dynasty)
* Events for Mithridatid dynasty to move from Kios to Pontus (player can start as either nation and end up leading Mithridatid Pontus)
* Added bloodline traits for Agiad(Sparta), Eurypontid(Sparta), Mithradatid(Kios), Arsacid (appears in Parnia or Parthia) and Frataraka(Persis) dynasties

Last edited:
  • 13Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Version 2.1 Preview

- Map expansion to Mongolia and Indochina
- Expanded use of the new laws system
- More Content TBD

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
FAQs:

N/A

Known Issues in 2.0:

Adjacencies over the Yangtze River aren't visible; this is caused by a strange limitation on rendering them that will likely never be fixed with Paradox gone. I'm working on an alternative for the display.

Last edited:
Looks awesome!

Can we get a rework of how pop movement works? As of now it feels limited, unrealistic and tedious. It doesnt represent well roman settlers settling in Hispania, Carthage, etc. It would be nice to have something on that.

Any plans for characters in the future? Or are you not gonna change anything on that side of the game?

Looks awesome!

Can we get a rework of how pop movement works? As of now it feels limited, unrealistic and tedious. It doesnt represent well roman settlers settling in Hispania, Carthage, etc. It would be nice to have something on that.

Any plans for characters in the future? Or are you not gonna change anything on that side of the game?

Pop movement is definitely in my sights; not only is it tedious but I dislike the idea of sacrificing on innovations just to move pops around. Exactly what that will look like I'm not certain at the moment.

There's no immediate plans for characters; I have enough with religion, diplomacy, and realm-building to at least get to Paradox' next release (was estimated for June last I heard) and once they have the two consuls brought in I'll delve deeper into governments and characters.

Reactions:
Been trying to do the same thing as your mod but I am a terrible modder so am very glad you made this so I can give up on trying to make a meaningful pop mod. One thing I couldn't figure out which might be cool for you was adding small amounts of tyranny to say killing pops.

Been trying to do the same thing as your mod but I am a terrible modder so am very glad you made this so I can give up on trying to make a meaningful pop mod. One thing I couldn't figure out which might be cool for you was adding small amounts of tyranny to say killing pops.

That's a good point, I would agree it should definitely raise tyranny a bit and I think I know how to do it (haven't messed with secondary scopes in the gui yet but it should be achievable).

Great news!

Just a question: did you rework the mechanisms of research and aggressive expansion? Currently they are really punitive for multicultural empires.

Library buildings in your cities with large concentrations of citizens will mitigate much of the research problem though I don't think it's quite enough at the moment so I'll probably keep adjusting it. AE I haven't messed with yet; it is in my sights for my 1.2 version when I look at the diplomacy system. I would much prefer a more EU-like style which depends on region, culture, and distance rather than a flat AE value so that invading Greece doesn't completely prevent diplomacy with Iberia.

Library buildings in your cities with large concentrations of citizens will mitigate much of the research problem though I don't think it's quite enough at the moment so I'll probably keep adjusting it. AE I haven't messed with yet; it is in my sights for my 1.2 version when I look at the diplomacy system. I would much prefer a more EU-like style which depends on region, culture, and distance rather than a flat AE value so that invading Greece doesn't completely prevent diplomacy with Iberia.

Thanks for the clarification!

I agree with your suggested approach to AE and I hope that in the future a coalition system will be implemented. Moreover, I simply do not understand why AE should be related to the unhappiness of wrong culture pops. I think it was just an anti-blobbing design decision, but I think better alternatives could be found.

Thanks for the clarification!

I agree with your suggested approach to AE and I hope that in the future a coalition system will be implemented. Moreover, I simply do not understand why AE should be related to the unhappiness of wrong culture pops. I think it was just an anti-blobbing design decision, but I think better alternatives could be found.

I almost forgot, I did cut the AE penalty to culture happiness in half because that did seem relatively out of place but I wasn't sure how the balance would be effected if I axed it altogether at this point.

Yes!!!!

Also: long term, will you be modifying the map? I presume this would not be compatible with mods that add provinces.

Last edited:
Just wondering, I've been playing with the mod a bit and decided to try Ulutia. I see that colonization is disabled and says it's automated; is this actually functional yet? And if so, how does it work?

Just wondering, I've been playing with the mod a bit and decided to try Ulutia. I see that colonization is disabled and says it's automated; is this actually functional yet? And if so, how does it work?

Because of the change to how foreign culture groups convert to your culture group not to your culture directly, it is automated by an event. It should automatically colonize an adjacent empty, province when yours reaches 10 pops and has your culture group dominant.

Yes!!!!

Also: long term, will you be modifying the map? I presume this would not be compatible with mods that add provinces.

Long term, probably. At the moment we don't and I'm not going to start looking at the map until they bring the navigable rivers in vanilla. Right now things that add provinces should be compatible with us if they don't change mechanics or UI that we do.

Looks great! Since you already have slingers and javelins, any chance of just full on integrating the historical units mod? It adds the same two you did plus medium infantry along with a few other changes that would seem in place here.

Because of the change to how foreign culture groups convert to your culture group not to your culture directly, it is automated by an event. It should automatically colonize an adjacent empty, province when yours reaches 10 pops and has your culture group dominant.

This seemed to work automatically on hitting 11 pops in a city (may have just been a delay after hitting 10 pops). For a while there was no further colonization from that province, but when I went to move pops around (having remembered there is a delay in colonizing from a single province in vanilla) I saw that it would allow me to move to an uncolonized province, which it hadn't before.