• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LumberKing

Philosopher
106 Badges
Dec 16, 2013
www.christianforums.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Empires_Republics5aXxT.jpg

Empires & Republics: Polity Flavours & Bookmarks

This mod is a direct continuation or a spiritual successor to the mod, "Something Possibly Quite Roman". While the SPQR Mod intended to be an Empire mod with a Roman theme and flavour, it naturally progressed with additions of Republics and Bookmark extension where it had to evolve into something more. This mod continues with the enhancement of Empires, which polarised the forum community, and now also expands on Republics, something that one could consider disappointing yet exciting at the same time. With that I introduce you to this new incarnation; Empires & Republics, with exciting new possibilities within one's grasp.

Requirements
- Crusader Kings II version 2.2

Recommended
- Legacy of Rome
- The Republic
- The Old Gods
- Charlemagne

Installation
  1. Download the mod from the link below
  2. Delete any existing version
  3. Extract the downloaded content to: ***My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
  4. Enjoy

Current Features
- A forgotten Empire: the Western Roman Empire
- New formable Empires and Kingdoms.
- New bookmarks and timeline extension to 475AD.
- New cultures and religions for the oldest bookmarks.
- Special Casus Belli to challenge Imperial Authority.
- De-Latinisation of previously Latinised Empire.
- Restore the united Roman Empire via traditional conquest route or by uniting the two halves.
- Restore Rome as the Latin Empire, Turkish Kayser/Qaisar, or a Hellenic Pagan.
- Once the player restores the borders of the Ancient Roman Empire at its peak, the player can decide to re-divide the empire back into West and East.
- Return the Dominate back to the Principate and play as a Roman Merchant Republic.
- As a Roman Republic, return to being an Empire or commit the ultimate taboo: declare yourself King (requires being Roman).
- As a Roman award the title of Co-Emperor and adopt that person as your heir.
- Roman cultural buildings and retinues.
- No republic or theocracy vassal limit.
- Converter Kings Universalis.

Planned Features
- Filling up the blank map for the earliest bookmarks.
- New cultures and religions.
- Various events and decisions as well as general flavours.
- Portraits for new cultures.
- More formable Republics, both playable and non-playable.
- Addition of missing historical characters.
- Lots of other stuff.

Screenshots

- Coming Soon -

Downloads: View attachment EmpiresRepublics002.zip (Beware: this is Pre-Alpha so expect plenty of things to just not work, use at own risk)

Changelogs are given in new posts.

Compatibility
Due to the changing of core files, this mod is very likely to be incompatible with most mods especially the big ones (HIP, CK2+, et cetera). However, priority will be given to make it compatible with my own mods so that they are modular.

Credits

Arcvalon for the Special CBs from his Imperial Legacy Mod.
Cuthuthulu for the Converter from his CK2-EU4 Converter Improvement Project.
frankatank109 and fanoI for their bookmarks and flags from their The Commune of Rome Mod.
JonStryker for his CK2 Scenario Editor.
neondt for the Florence Nation for EU4 from his Repubblica Fiorentina Mod.
omega20056 for the localisation from his Project: Augustus - Roman Realism Mod.
yclept for the entire Republic system from his Founder of the Republic Mini-Mod.

Last edited:
wrong forum, friend :p ask a mod to move to Mod Forums.

So moved.

What bookmarks are you adding?

Small Error I found in the retinue file.

The bonus goes toward Light Calvary when the Retinue is sporting Heavy Calvary.

Naturally this is for the Roman Cultural addition.

Last edited:
Hello good sir, I am a huge fan of your mods but I am having trouble with this one. I cannot load saves from playing this mod, it just takes me to the corner of the map with no characters visible. Is there an ETA on an update to this?

Small Error I found in the retinue file.

The bonus goes toward Light Calvary when the Retinue is sporting Heavy Calvary.

Naturally this is for the Roman Cultural addition.

Noted.

Hello good sir, I am a huge fan of your mods but I am having trouble with this one. I cannot load saves from playing this mod, it just takes me to the corner of the map with no characters visible. Is there an ETA on an update to this?

I had no idea there were people who were fans of my mods, lol. Regardless thanks. I have no idea what is going on regarding the problem you are facing. Does it crash to desktop? The current version is quite buggy due to the incomplete history files. There will be an update on this, but after the Charlemagne DLC is released (to accommodate a slew of change to the history files).

I'm going to post some screenshots in a bit, its weird but it just doesn't allow me to continue my game from the save state. It doesn't crash and it doesn't do anything else unexpectedly, it just won't let me play. Also, I think that your Something Possibly Quite Roman mod was one of the most fun experiences I've had in this game, mostly because it allowed me to rebuild the Western Roman Empire and allowing me to mend the schism with Catholics is something that I've always wanted to be able to do. I was quite happy when I heard that this was the successor to it.

OK, so here are some caps. When I click on one of the saved games it blinks to my character and then sends me to the bottom left corner of the map and nothing is clickable. This might have to do with the lack of history files as you suggested so I might just have to wait for the Charlemagne DLC.

Last edited:
OK, so here are some caps. When I click on one of the saved games it blinks to my character and then sends me to the bottom left corner of the map and nothing is clickable. This might have to do with the lack of history files as you suggested so I might just have to wait for the Charlemagne DLC.

View attachment 116418

It looks like a corrupt savegame where all the provincial title holders disappeared. You haven't been modding the savegame file, have you? Also, is it possible that you have started out the savegame from my SPQR mod?

Yeah, I figured I'll add the mending the schism thing for shits and giggles. It's not my first mod to do that actually, in fact, my Schisms & Heresies mods goes through a lot more detail regarding that, including the ability to mend schisms as Miaphysites and Nestorians. I actually wanted to keep going with my SPQR mod, but after thinking about it, it came to the point that the scope became quite big in that it was no longer focused on Roman things (just for fun) as originally intended thus I decided to do a remake of it and expanding the scope to all things Empires and Republics.

I have not been modding the save files. I just started a new game and saved 10 days in, same problem. I do not have the slightest clue as to why this would be happening. Could it be because I installed the mod wrong or have the saves going to the wrong place?

I have not been modding the save files. I just started a new game and saved 10 days in, same problem. I do not have the slightest clue as to why this would be happening. Could it be because I installed the mod wrong or have the saves going to the wrong place?

No, it seems that there's something wrong with the mod. Could you possibly upload the log files from My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\ and maybe even the savegame, so that I can see what on earth is going on? This may not be ideal, but it may be best use my SPQR mod (which also has Workshop support) for the time being. I apologise for this issue.

Version 0.0.2 Pre-Alpha (Checksum QVIY)

Download is up on the OP or you can get it here.

Major update is up for the Charlemagne DLC, as well this being the second version and first changelog.

Code:
Changelog:
- Updated for compatibility with Charlemagne.
- Fixed a bug for the Roman cultural retinue.
- Completed the borders for just over half of Western Continental Europe for the earliest Bookmark.
- More titles.
- The borders for the Eastern Roman Empire and the Sassanid Persian Empire should be somewhat more accurate.
- Added a some new characters, dynasties, and titles.
- Added the Gothic culture.
- Added the East Germanic culture group.
- Added Hunnic culture.
- Added a fictional Latinized Ostrogothic culture group.
- Added Arabic and Celtic Paganism.
- Added a united Chalcedonian religion.
- Added Arianism, Macedonianism, Donatism, Montanism, and Valentianism as heresies for Chalcedonianism.
- Zeno is now Chalcedonian instead of Orthodox.
- Updated the Converter.
- Removed the decisions to convert to Hellenic Paganism and the Roman culture as well as its associated events.

Right, so I finally got around to updating this thing and it looks like it's going to be a lot of work. So far, I have managed to fill in more provinces (thanks to JonStryker's Scenario Editor), but have a whole load more to go. I would've finished most of Europe if I knew how to model the rulers and what not. Mostly due to the lack of data, I don't know how to represent certain areas and also with whom, whether an area should be under one ruler or divided into several as well as having a real ruler versus semi-mythical one. If anyone is an expert in this time period (475AD-476AD), then please do help out as I am quite clueless and have no idea how to progress. At least before going Beta, I am intending on having the top-tier all done then polishing the later start dates, before going back to do the vassals and what not.

This is Pre-Alpha, and the earliest Bookmarks are anything, but historical so expect things like Islamic insurgencies despite not existing at the time amongst other silliness. Please do post feedback as they tend to be quite helpful.

Thanks.

Is the mod compatible with the new beta version? And I would like to congratulate you, I used to play this mod before the Charlemagne DLC, but i'm unsure if it's compatible or not with the beta patch.

Edit:I tried it and it didn't start, I think the beta patch is not compatible with any mods...

Last edited:
If you're getting CTDs on startup, it's defines.lua that's the problem. The current one in this mod is missing some lines required for viceroyalties and tribals to work properly, and the game is crashing because of this. If you open the mod's defines.lua and the default CK2 defines.lua in winmerge and compare them, it's trivially easy to fix.

EDIT: I can get it to start, but if I press the Singleplayer or Load Game buttons from the main menu, game crashes as soon as it loads the screen. Still looking into why this happens, but I'm not sure. I'd have to guess that it was something that gets looked at by the game when it goes into those screens, but not at startup. I gave a very brief look to landed_titles to see if anything was missing, and it looked fine, though I would need to double check each title that had been changed. Also you might want to incorporate the new Gaelic names given to some provinces in the latest patch when you get a chance.

Last edited:
View attachment error.txt Silly me, forgot about error logs. Looks like there's something wrong with some of the cb tokens used in both the imperial cb files.

Also of note:
[instanttextboxtype.cpp:92]: Not used, use maxWidth and maxHeight file: launcher/interface/main.gui line: 87
[instanttextboxtype.cpp:92]: Not used, use maxWidth and maxHeight file: launcher/interface/main.gui line: 104
[technology.cpp:718]: Missing Tech seed values:

Never bothered to poke around in the error log. I hope it's just from the latest crash.

Also I'm using the latest beta patch, if that helps.

Last edited: