• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 41
Chapter 41: Blood on the Water
RqaKNXO.jpg

It is not without a sense of trepidation that the combined Amazon fleet finally leaves Amazon Island. Above all there is a sense of relief that the weeks of waiting and uncertainty are finally over.

Sympathetic to queen Lyssa's motherly plight, Calypso of Quetzlpan withdrew her forces from her crusade against the sunken city of Zarmuda. Her full army now joins new recruits and warriors from the devastating Battle of Xocibiki, refreshed after weeks of rest and preparation.

Together they are eager to face their enemy in battle once more. A shieldmaiden is most comfortable solving problems through force of arms and months of despondent idleness makes everyone anxious to do something.

Revenge will have to wait, however. Only halfway to Kavana, unknown ships are spotted on the horizon. Three of them; clearly of pirate origin, but with the lead ship flying the feathered skull of Amazonia – no doubt in a poor attempt at a ruse.

"I thought the rebels didn't have ships?" Kriemhild wonders out loud. The marshal sounds almost insulted that she has not been better informed.

"They don't," commander Valesca states when she joins the redhead at the railing, as if willing it to be true. "Either way, they won't be able to catch us."

"Not if we catch them first."

"Your Highness?" Valesca turns around and protests softly: "But what of their firebelchers...?"

All frivolous idleness is gone from Lyssa's demeanour when she brushes her commander's concerns aside: "It doesn't matter. We cannot let them get away and inform the rebels of our presence. Go on, get someone to turn this fleet around!"

The interlopers seem unconcerned by the Amazon armada turning to face them and keep sailing straight ahead. Then again, with their cannons, a single pirate ship could match even the Amazon flagship that now leads the charge against them.

"Why do they keep coming. Surely they could've started throwing their flying boulders at us by now," Kriemhild observes, her tone suggesting they might be sailing into a trap. Not inclined to wait and find out, Lyssa yells up at the lookout for clarification. The sharp-eyed pathfinder's reply comes quickly:

"Their firebelchers are still stowed!"

The three leaders on deck exchange puzzled looks.

"Wait... one of them is gesturing something..."

"Over there: at the prow," Kriemhild points out. "Your Highness, you should take cover."

"That's one big pirate..." Valesca observes dryly.

Grabbing onto the railing, Lyssa leans forward as much as she can, as if defiantly trying to do the opposite of hiding. She shields her eyes and squints: "By Rigg's flaming ass hair... it can't be..."

Once the two lead ships come up alongside each other, a stout walkway delivers a pirate welcoming committee. As if to emphasize their non-piratical intentions, however, their captain adds a flourish with her Amazon-style cape as she curtsies before the queen. Lyssa barely seems to register her presence, glancing around distractedly.

"I be at yer service, Yer Highness," the pirate leader offers in heavily accented Amazon before being all but pushed aside by said Highness.

"Mom!"

It's all Maya can say before her mother barrels through the pirate contingent and sweeps her into a big hug. Utterly smothered, the rotund little woman can only do her best to hug back until Lyssa deigns to pull back with an accusing "I've been worried sick! Where in the Pits have you been??"

Maya is none to happy to be treated like someone half her age, but she doesn't sound any less like a proud child when she declares: "As you can see, I've been gathering allies, mother!"

Hovering as close to the two as she dares, the pirate leader clears her throat with a carefully measured amount of outrage.

"Oh, and Tiziana here helped," Maya gestures nonchalantly.

Now that she has the queen's attention again, the former interpreter does another quick bow: "I be representing yer honest, Rigg-fearin' subjects of Île Mêl– ah, Xocibiki. I assure ye, we be right irate at yer lads' mutiny and wish to be doin' Rigg's work at yer side, Yer Highness! I even bring sisters from Port Reaver who be fed up with the way they be treated and wish to aid yer cause."

Maya's turns a wry look, first upon Tiziana and then to her mother: "What she means to say is, those bothersome males are bad for business and she wants to help deal with them."

"Well... aye, that too," Tiziana admits with an affable smile.

"The 'bothersome males' have your sister," Lyssa tells Maya brusquely. "I'll take whatever help I can get."

vxicCpP.jpg

How are you supposed to stay out of debt with all these men running around!

A gaggle of Easterners – some fresh from the vile pirate den of Port Reaver no less – would have been no Amazon queen's first choice of allies. Despite this, Lyssa deems their conversion sincere – or at least their usefulness sufficient to overlook their past. After all, what Amazon queen would turn down three dozen cannons and a crew who can use them...

Anyone who disagrees with the queen's decision is given a swift history lesson on how Amazons have accepted honourable warriors mistreated by their menfolk in ages past – and a sharp look that brooks no further argument. And thus the reinforced fleet continues on its way to Kavana.

Lyssa has them sail close to the rebel stronghold at Xocibiki, close enough to almost be within cannon range, but not so close so as to make landfall. Rather than charge the place where the queen's daughter is held, the Amazons surprise the defenders by simply continuing onward. Onward towards the poorly defended neighbouring island.

Ultimately, the rebels are not very worried by the manoeuvre. Although this means they cannot let the Amazons smash themselves to pieces upon Xocibiki's defences as they try to land from their ships, the rebels beat them in pitched battle once before – and the odds are even more in their favour now.

Thus the rebel army marches to intercept the Amazons before they can establish themselves. They cross the narrow strait between Xocibiki and Tabasco unopposed. They scour the jungles for their former oppressors, but find nothing. That is when a message arrives: The Amazons are besieging Fort Xocibiki.

Ji7KLtC.jpg

Fooled by a u-turn!

Andre dares not show how agitated and anxious he is, barking a steady stream of orders to cover it from his men. The rebel leader rushes them to embark the rafts faster. So the hated oppressors don't have the time to wear down Xocibiki – and so his fellow believers don't have the time to realize they've been played.

He had expected the reckless Amazons to attack before they were ready, but not this kind of subterfuge. Before Stromfels everyone is equal, but the pompous followers of Rigg follow the whims of their bloated queen. It will still be their downfall, but to control the queen of the Amazon ant-hill they must control her daughter. Under no circumstances can they lose Fort Xocibiki where she is being held.

Busy organizing the crossing of the strait, Andre has no time to keep track of everyone as they land on the opposite side. He is not worried. He trusts his brothers implicitly: their bond is the reason the tyrants can never defeat them. Amazons cling to their ponderous hierarchy whereas those who embrace the chaos of Stromfels can think for themselves and adapt.

After all, when the Amazon princess was felled by her own thirst for blood and hubris during the battle of Xocibiki, their whole army crumbled. Andre himself is but one of many – if he somehow slips and drowns right now, his brothers will simply carry on. This is because, unlike the Amazons they know in their hearts what they fight for. Equality and brotherhood, forged from the ashes of an unjust world.

7LsMWlR.jpg

Having crossed the strait, Andre helps his brothers off before following close behind. There he is met by a warning: "Brother, we've spotted the tyrants closing in on us!"

Andre glances back at the fleet of rafts returning for the rest of his forces: "Tell the men to prepare for battle. We have to hold out until they are across."

Despite his decisive reaction, this sudden development gives Andre pause. He has received no word of the tyrants giving up the siege at Fort Xocibiki, so this must be a secondary force. No doubt a suicidal attempt to slow them down; the selfish queen throwing away her subjects without a second thought. "How many?"

"Maybe as many as a thousand." Just as he thought. The Amazons had split their forces in two to surprise him – and now they would be outnumbered more than five to one.

As the battle lines are drawn it becomes clear his enemies are not entirely oblivious to their disadvantage. Rather than charge mindlessly as they are wont, the Amazons hold position in the jungle – where they cannot be picked off by the believers' handguns.

However, in doing so they have made themselves vulnerable to another threat: Their position juts out towards the bay where the Brethren have landed. The Amazons will be surrounded and annihilated and another piece of intelligence only hastens their fate:

"The queen is with them."

Andre gives the order to charge.

The two sides clash, not with the roar of handguns but a harrowing thunder from the bay at the rebels' rear. Even though he and his brothers have pushed the queen's forces to the breaking point, Andre instinctively stops to look at the sudden sound.

Even as his brothers fall upon the Amazon position around him, Andre can only watch in horror as two pirate warships glide into view and turn the bay into a slaughterhouse.

Flanking the helpless men on the rafts, cannons open fire with grapeshot to shred wood and flesh alike. One ship's broadside is followed closely by another to leave no reprieve from the merciless slaughter. Screams and the sound of cannon fire fill the air to spread fear and confusion through the ranks.

Seeing his brothers killed and maimed so helplessly makes Andre's heart sink, but as much as the sight that follows. Following the warships like a trail of murderous ducklings, a swarm of war canoes set upon the bay from each side. Piranhas sensing blood in the water.

The rear crumbles.

The ranks break.

"Stromfels! Liberty!" Andre shouts desperately right before a massive Amazon punches him in the face.​

S7hxM8l.jpg

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that, despite the metaphor deployed here, piranhas aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be

Poor rebels, they never learn.

Andre's rebellion will almost certainly crumble now -- even if it would have survived his own death, surely it can't withstand such a crushing battlefield defeat.
He made the mistake of threatening the queen's children AND belived he could tell her what to do and get away with it. Still, I wanted to give him his five minutes of fame to get a glimpse into the ideology of the rebels before they meet their end.

Poor rebels, they never learn.
With all of them being Scholars, you'd think they would... but nope!

And for those readers who, like me, intend to catch up on AARs during the holidays, remember the AARLand Year-end Awards are on so make a note of the ones you enjoy the most and vote, vote, vote:

Chapter 42
Chapter 42: Rigg's Mercy
Y7feCU7.jpg

Row upon row of rebellious males line the field outside Fort Xocibiki, returning to the site of their great victory against the Amazons. This time, however, their regiments are made up of lines of cowed prisoners. Heads bowed in deference, even the most defiant among them have stopped struggling against their bonds following the gruelling march from the north of the island.

Before them rises a crude platform, built by their own hands to kindly allow the males to expend the rest of their rebellious energy. Too tired to struggle, at least they did not earn a place up there alongside their leaders.

Bound and gagged lest they make further futile attempts to mislead their followers, the alleged ringleaders line the platform. At their feet, timber and kindling are piled in preparation for Rigg's mercy. Given no particular place among them, Andre tries to make eye contact with the crowd when he finds his vision blocked. The queen takes to the podium to address both her warriors and wayward sons.

"We are blessed," she begins, utterly ignoring the men about to be burned. "After the Great Cataclysm, when the rest of the world fell into chaos and barbarism, our people had Rigg's Compact to keep us safe. Her mandate is simple: The strong protect the weak and the weak obey. That is my duty to you, my children, and one I keep in mind every waking moment." The queen sounds genuinely hurt as she continues: "But you did forget your duty and let yourselves be led astray by lies and false gods.

Lyssa gestures dramatically towards the crowd: "You could have had good lives tending our gardens; could have been progenitors of the next great generation. Instead you spit on my kindness and threaten to destroy our great civilization out of petty childishness!" Without missing a beat, the queen stills her righteous anger and spreads her arms in maternal benevolence. "Yet I know you are but wayward children, clumsily crying out to be disciplined. Thus I shall grant you a reprieve from the easy and indolent existence that let you be tempted into heresy. You will be allowed to redeem yourselves by working in the quarries, cutting back the jungle and restoring our temple-cities to their former glory."

Having expected a death sentence, some start weeping openly while others meet the commutation with silent fury.

"Sisters, please give our charges a reminder of their queen's mercy." To a chorus of screams as the traitors are branded as such, Lyssa turns to the arch-traitor behind her.

"I'm afraid you are not so lucky." She leans close to Andre and whispers menacingly. "Usually Rigg's mercy would grant you a quick death, but unfortunately you made the mistake of threatening my daughter. I think you'll find that this firewood is not of very good quality, so this could take a while..."

True to her word, while the other rebel leaders are quickly consumed by the inferno, Andre's agony is drawn out till nightfall. The queen watches in silence along with his former followers. It is clear that even among heretics, he crossed a line no one ever should.

6kXjHxK.jpg

Note to self: Don't endanger the daughter of a woman who has the Impaler trait

eeC5J7V.jpg

Lyssa steps into her quarters and dismisses the two guards with an agitated wave. The gentle rhythmic creaking of the ship is interrupted by a frustrated growl:

"Yeah, I'm still here," Inanna spits bitterly from the bed. She groans as she makes to sit up but finds herself firmly pushed down again. Her eyes follow the departing guards and she mutters through clenched teeth: "I don't need babysitters."

Lyssa keeps her fingers pushing lightly against Inanna's shoulder. "You're lucky I don't have you tied to the bed!"

ShvQdQs.jpg

The fierce admonishment stops Inanna's struggle, her mouth twisting into a sneer full of hurt. The warrior looks away, ignoring the pain from her wounds. "Why don't you just banish me? If I'm such an embarrassment."

"You think this is about pride??" Lyssa's eyes are ablaze. Her fury elicits harsh, unthinking words: "But perhaps I should be embarrassed! That my daughter and heir would just throw her life away like it's nothing! Do you ever think about anyone but yourself, Inanna? What if that vile creature's trap had worked? You'd be dead, I'd be dead – and our family would be doomed. Our clan name a mere footnote in the royal annals. Do you think Phaedra would continue our lineage after we're gone?" Noticing a rogue tear in her eye, Lyssa brings a hand to her face as she turns away.

"The vision leaf has completely addled her mind..." the queen croaks. "They say she can't even get out of bed on her own..."

ulWflVj.jpg

Well someone is taking laziness to a whole new level...

Lyssa makes an odd sound that makes Inanna wince from something other than the pain, before she spins around in a tornado of exquisite fabrics: "And you think this is the time to die an honourable death - childless! So yes, you do need a babysitter!"

Arms spread wide she gestures at her daughter's

"For the sake of us all and..." Lyssa pauses and sits down heavily on the bed. She takes her daughter's hand and smiles affectionately, apologetically: "...and for your own sake. The thought of losing you..." For once the queen is lost for words.

A blush creeps into Inanna's lean cheeks. She has to avert her eyes again, only after many false starts able to reply with a weak "...but you didn't..."

As if emboldened by the mere act of speaking, the warrior's fierce confidence flashes in her eyes as she meets her mother's: "And you won't!"

"Promise me you'll rest until your wounds are healed," Lyssa tells her intently, relieved but not about to let her daughter off the hook so easily.

Inanna gives her a small nod: "I promise," she says solemnly, before eyeing a chance to lighten the mood and get out of this uncomfortably serious conversation:

"But not a moment longer, or I might start taking after my mother," she says slyly and pokes Lyssa's pudgy side.

"Maybe it would keep you out of trouble if you did!" Lyssa exclaims with light-hearted exasperation and slaps away her daughter's hand. Given Inanna's state, the worst punishment she dares inflict for her temerity is a flick to the forehead.

"At least stay in bed until we can get you to the Sisterhood. I've had Tanya call on her best healers to stand ready."

"Thanks..." Clearing her throat, Inanna is unable to find any better words.

"If you want to thank me, admit that what you did was reckless."

Inanna bites her lip, looking like she's trying to set the ship's hull on fire with her eyes: "I... just want to make you proud."

"I would rather have a daughter than hollow pride," Lyssa says firmly. "You are too important to seek out a glorious death, Inanna."

"I was never going to die," the wounded warrior promises defiantly. "And it's not like that stupid trap was going to work." She gives Lyssa a small smile: "My mother is too smart to let that happen."

Lyssa's resoluteness starts to crumble and she heaves herself onto her feet before it is utterly destroyed: "Just... try to behave, okay? I'll be checking up on you."​

* * *​

Once she is back in Ganaina, Lyssa makes doubly sure that her daughters are in good hands. Poor Maya still has a bit of the sniffles after all! The fact that she is in her forties doesn't matter: After what happened in Kavana, she's Lyssa's little baby girl and needs the best possible care.

With those two taken care of the queen can turn to other pressing matters. The constant disorder in Kavana makes it clear that more attention needs to be paid to governance. Certainly the Amazons value making war above all else, but the latest rebellion in Kavana happened when she was doing exactly that. Even the confident Lyssa admits that the realm could easily have crumbled, but for the grace of Rigg. If Amazonia is ever to go to war without fear, she has to make sure such a rebellion never happens again.

lmpRxqX.jpg

With the subversive males executed or scattered, it seems unlikely that they can gather their strength. Nevertheless, Kriemhild is sent to Kavana to keep the peace and, with the help of the Sisterhood, root out any such heresy before it can take hold again.

Lyssa seems intent on taking no chances and furthermore officially elevates two Matriarchs to rule the two northernmost islands in the triad. Small and not terribly important, the islands are granted to unassuming nobles who above all won't give their queen any trouble. In addition, one of them just so happens to be a cousin of Calypso of Quetzlpan...

OEnz30u.jpg

If there are any men left, please keep them away from books. We don't need any more uppity Scholars.

It is a small favour to soften the blow when Lyssa informs Calypso that she will not be helping her take back Zarmuda. In fact, with the support of the Chief Priestess, Lyssa proclaims that it is now forbidden for any Amazon to approach the accursed island. After all, they have already combed through the ruins pretty thoroughly – and whatever ambition is great enough to warrant giving up a temple city, it seems to be one that forces the queen to tie off all the loose ends she can. Regardless of what she is planning, Lyssa certainly does not intend to get blind-sided again.

Woo!

Just read through it all, it's pretty good and I've loved how you've written your characters. Lyssa has been really compelling and despite being flawed, she comes off as a very realistic and in some ways likable person. ((Likable being relative in war-hammer of course, considering she's a Amazonian supremacist and was/is a torturer and all.)) But, I've really, really enjoyed this.

Would you happen to have any recommendations for AAR's of this mod as well? Yours is the first, I've seen.

When Lyssa is angry she can be quite scary.

Woo!

Just read through it all, it's pretty good and I've loved how you've written your characters. Lyssa has been really compelling and despite being flawed, she comes off as a very realistic and in some ways likable person. ((Likable being relative in war-hammer of course, considering she's a Amazonian supremacist and was/is a torturer and all.)) But, I've really, really enjoyed this.

Would you happen to have any recommendations for AAR's of this mod as well? Yours is the first, I've seen.
Thanks a lot! Always nice to pull in new readers :) At this point this has become Lyssa's story as much as Amazonia's and I kinda dread the day she's no longer queen. But that's CK2 for ya.

Back when I first considered starting this AAR I had a poke around for other Geheimnisnacht AARs, but I don't think I found any. This is a pretty fun mod, but it seems most people prefer to keep their medieval intrigue free of elves and dragons.

When Lyssa is angry she can be quite scary.
She likes to think of herself as magnanimous and progressive, but she has a mean streak that comes out if you dare hurt her loved ones. I think Inanna got that from her mom... only she has no chill to counteract it.

I tried my hand at a Geheimnisnacht AAR, but only got two chapters in. It doesn't help that I'm awful at this game. I insist on choosing the most difficult starting points, yet I still stupidly wonder why I keep getting murdered and/or invaded.

I'd love to see more AARs using this mod, though, especially with a similar narrative focus on the characters as yours. I just love how dense the mod is, and how varied its options are. There are so many possibilities.

Chapter 43
Chapter 43: Pleasures of Persuasion
smS3NAX.jpg

Cooking fires roar, accompanied by the whoops of brazenly drunken Amazons. Because of the Kavana insurrection, Lyssa had not been able to celebrate the capture of Xahutec and she is not about to pass up an opportunity to right this wrong, The Kavana campaign brought no plunder, but the huntresses and brewers have worked hard to make it a memorable feast.

The chicha and bloodwine flows freely and the processions of servants carrying roasted capybara, grilled fish and sausages made from foreign beasts seems endless. Amazonia has been through an unthinkable insurrection and both the queen and her steward prefer that the Amazons are distracted from thinking about it.

Inside the throne room itself, a crowd of nobles cheers as Inanna lifts a whole roasted calf and tears a big bite out of it. Standing up on the dais, Lyssa observes her daughter's antics with a chuckle. No matter how much she would like to devour a 'hornhead' or two herself, this evening she must focus on a more important quarry.

She barely has time to turn around before Azu is upon her. The steward thrusts a goblet of bloodwine into the queen's hand, knowing how much easier she is to deal with if her desires have been indulged.

"Good evening, my queen. So, how was Xahutec?" Azu knows better than to bring up the terrible events in Kavana. The capture of a temple city is a much more pleasant icebreaker.

"It's a mess." It seems the subject is not as pleasant as Azu hoped. "But you'll see that for yourself soon enough, because you're the one who's going to fix it. You leave within a week."

e6pK82V.jpg

It's a bit of a fixer upper

With that, the queen empties her cup and hands it back to the gobsmacked steward before stepping down into the crowd. She takes a circuitous route to avoid getting bogged down in further conversation, drinking games and eating competitions. Her challenge sits at the place of honour, at the head of the table.

Surrounded by a gaggle of servants ready to serve her every need, matriarch Calypso seems to be in paradise. In reality, she is cut off from the rest of the party by a wall of pleasures – orchestrated by the plump little woman seated next to her:

"I insist, have another bottle. You have no idea how hard my mother worked to get these things. Well, I did the legwork and she provided the gold." Pretending to be tipsy herself, Maya leans over Calypso to clumsily fill her goblet with effervescent, sparkling wine from faraway lands.

The matriarch takes a greedy sip and smirks: "Your sneaky cooperation with the foreigners borders on the heretical, but one cannot argue with the results."

Maya shrugs and beckoned a servant to bring them another platter of dumplings – and intercept a possible intruder on their conversation. Calypso's irritation over the queen's refusal to retake accursed Zarmuda is well-known and Maya is not about to let anyone come here and exploit that rift.

"I don't see the problem. If we kill the traders and take their goods, they're dead. If I give them some worthless trinkets for their wares, they'll be back." Maya casually flicks a dumpling and her companion catches it in her mouth. "Again." Another dumpling. "And again."

Taking a break from that little game, the princess grabs a treat for herself: "And if my idiot sister wants to take out her frustrations on them, the Easterners will just be easier to catch if their pockets are weighed down with gold."

Expertly chewing through the onslaught of stuffed delicacies and washing them down with priceless wine, Calypso raises an eyebrow: "I have fought alongside your sister – she's a strong and fearless warrior. You should not speak of her like that."

"She's certainly all those things... just like you. But let's be honest, she doesn't exactly have your intellect," Maya exaggerates wildly. Her sister Inanna might not be the sharpest macuahuitl in the armoury, but nor is her present companion.

The dishonest praise hits home, its recipient grinning proudly: "You should see me when I haven't drunk my weight in heathen booze."

"Oh I would never deprive you in so cruel a manner." Lyssa's mission is serious, but her manner is easy as she barges into the private little meeting.

Calypso's lips curl briefly, but she's simply in too good a mood for the queen's presence to spoil it. She awkwardly stifles a belch and gives Lyssa a wry smile: "Certainly, I don't think my cup has been dry, nor my plate empty since I came here."

The ring of servants shifts around the queen to let her flop down next to the pampered matriarch. She accepts a cup of her own and knocks it against Calypso's in a good-natured toast: "And there's no reason why that should change after you leave!"

"What do you mean?" Calypso takes a big sip of her wine, but keeps eyeing Lyssa over the rim of her cup.

"I'm just worried Quetzlpan might feel a little dull by comparison," Lyssa says innocently. "Well! I'm sure we can spare a few crates of wines and other goods now and then to make it a bit more enjoyable..."

To make sure her point gets across, the queen motions for a servant to refill the matriarch's cup. Just like how steward Azu plies her with food and wine, Lyssa knows to appeal to the base instincts of others. Why obsess over some damp ruin when there are earthly pleasures to enjoy?

"Now, there is one thing I wanted to discuss..." Lyssa affects nonchalance, emptying her cup rather than press the matter.

Calypso mimics her sovereign, letting slip a sigh of satisfaction as the delectable bubbles tickle her throat: "I'm listening..."

4h8Yjcs.jpg

She's all Lyssa could hope for in a replacement Calypso!

There is some confusion when days pass, yet Calypso of Quetzlpan does not return home from Ganaina to continue her quixotic campaign against Zarmuda. Although surrounded by the comforts of the capital, the matriarch does not remain idle however. Nor does the rest of Ganaina.

As the weeks of feasting and merriment come to and end and the horrors of the Kavana uprising start to fade, the Amazon queen has her realm abuzz with preparation once more. At first the shieldmaidens only know that they are getting ready for another campaign and their ignorance only heightens their excitement.

Only as the year comes to a close are their divine queen's designs revealed, through the Sisterhood's chants from atop temples and shrines. It turns out that once again, Lyssa has secured matriarch Calypso's cooperation by trading one temple city for another. Renewed in strength, the full might of Amazonia sails up the Amaxon, sights set on the great city of Tlanxla.

NYynLtP.jpg

Target acquired

Calypso Mark II is just what Lyssa ordered surely :)

Calypso II looks like a woman after the Queen's own heart... or, at least, her pantry ;)

And the Amazons march to war against the great temple-cities of the Lizardmen once again... Well, at least they're getting plenty of practice in.

Nice chapter, ashamed I'm blanking on facesss, Needs a like maybe dramticus personae or something perhaps in a spoiler at the start maybe
I can see how it's too much to ask for people to remember these ladies when a) I post a bit infrequently and b) everyone names their daughters after themselves!!

I'll look into a good way to do a quick overview of the most important characters. Maybe one list for each "era" (before and after Lyssa's little fountain quest, for example)

Calypso Mark II is just what Lyssa ordered surely :)
She's a bit too self-important and opinionated, but fortunately those are also traits that can be manipulated... ;)

Calypso II looks like a woman after the Queen's own heart... or, at least, her pantry ;)

And the Amazons march to war against the great temple-cities of the Lizardmen once again... Well, at least they're getting plenty of practice in.
Meanwhile steward Azu is worrying about how to keep that pantry stocked. Well, she would be if she wasn't doing home improvement on a city ruin. Temple cities are like Pokemon: You gotta catch 'em all!

Chapter 44
Chapter 44: On Oppressive Ground
luAh4PW.jpg

Sitting upon the shores of the great Amaxon, Tlanxla was once the logistical hub in the empire of the Old Ones. From here armies and supplies were ferried to and from the far corners of Lustria. Perhaps no surprise then that it was one of the first temple-cities to fall when the Cataclysm came. Ease of transit can be a double-edged sword. The city will feel its effects again soon enough.

When the Amazon army now sails for the City of the Skies it is not without preparation: Queen Lyssa has already occupied the eastern parts of Amaxacaro to secure her hold on the river. The loss of this territory has further undermined the authority of the usurper lord of Spektazuma who controls the rest of the territory between Amazonia and Tlanxla. From her journey in search of the Fountain of Youth, the queen knows this domain is in turmoil and therefore in no position to halt her advance.

Nor is Tlanxla merely a hollow prize. The city may have fallen centuries ago, but it still commands the highway of the Lustrian jungle. It is not without reason that the Lizardmen have resettled it. Furthermore it is all that lies between Amazonia and the independent Amazon tribes of Gwangee Valley. If she is to reunite her people Lyssa must go through Tlanxla.

nf4HqC6.jpg

"Bless the Maker, dry land... finally!" Calypso the Younger groans. The swampy lower delta of the Amaxon offers few places for a large army to land or make camp, making for a dull and uncomfortable journey.

"I thought you island folk liked sitting in boats for days," Inanna shrugs. It's unclear if it's supposed to be a joke or insult – or if she is genuinely surprised.

At first Calypso doesn't say anything, rubbing her aching back in silence. In fact she has gotten quite used to sailing aboard the queen's flagship, a somewhat more comfortable vessel than a war canoe. More comfortable still: The royal palace in Ganaina.

The brave matriarch would rather not admit to any of this, especially in front of the very model of a tough warrior princess. Instead she shrugs, mostly to stretch her stiff muscles: "I would rather fight than sail." Evasive though it may be, there is a truth to this.

"You can say that again," Inanna growls, unable to contain her impatience. "Let's find us some lizards as soon as we've set up camp. And this place seems good enough."

The place in question is a small hill known to the locals as Tetepe, sitting at the edge of the Piranha Swamp that dominate further downriver.

"Good, because my shieldmaidens are already unloading our supplies," Calypso says blithely. As if on cue, a procession of Amazons come up from the boats carrying tents, kegs, heavy chests and more.

"You did bring some weapons too, right?" Inanna scoffs, watching the warriors fan out and start making this corner of Lustria a bit more like home.

Calypso just smirks at the remark: "There's nothing wrong with having a good time."

"Rigg give me strength, you sound just like my sister Maya..." Inanna groans.

This gives the hedonistic matriarch pause, realizing that she has been spending a lot of time with the princess lately. A small part of her worries about fraternizing so much with a failed huntress, but her thoughts are soon interrupted by her companion:

"Speaking of... where's my mother? I expected her to come running as soon as she smelled booze."

The two of them leave the other warriors to their work and head down the slight incline towards the river. They find the queen surrounded by servants and bodyguards, with more rushing to her side as they try to get her out of the boat. It's a flurry of hands and water splashes, while the queen herself is huffing and puffing, unable to stand up in the narrow hull of the war canoe.

Finally Valesca, captain of the bodyguard, grabs Lyssa's legs and the throng comes together to literally lift the queen and carry her bodily ashore.

"This expedition was your idea," Inanna points out once her mother has been safely deposited onto her feet.

Still panting, Lyssa rubs her poor, abused body and growls: "I'm fine."

Calypso puts a hand on the queen's arm and makes to escort her to the camp: "Come here, Your Highness. You need a drink."

JH70ATt.jpg

Being in the middle of the jungle, surrounded by hostile Lizardmen is no reason not to paaarty!

Having established themselves on the edge of Tlanxla's domain, the Amazon army takes some time time to rest and consolidate the area. Apart from some local chiefs, the Lizardmen offer no resistance. No doubt aware of their inferiority, the armies of Tlanxla remain in the temple-city.

Left to their own devices, the Amazons are free to pillage the outlying villages – yielding potential sacrifices and much-needed supplies. In Matriarch Calypso's opinion, every little hovel that is taken deserves a proper victory celebration, thus stretching the army's supplies thin.

With Tetepe on the Amaxon river secured, the Lizardmen are prevented from making any punitive raids downriver and into Amazonia. However, Lyssa does not use this control of the waterways to move on Tlanxla itself. Instead she sticks to the same strategy that has served her well against two other temple-cities in the past. From Tetepe the Amazon army marches inland, positioning to surround the city completely before bringing it to its knees. There will be no escape and, by Rigg's will, the victory shall be glorious.

While the pathfinders move ahead, the Amazon army slowly starts to come to a halt. In the thick jungle of inner Lustria, after all, orders must propagate gradually among the scattered shieldmaidens. They completed the occupation of the vast inland area of Mochicoatl with little opposition, but in this terrain even Amazons must stop every so often or lose all semblance of cohesion. With hundreds of lizardman captives in tow, that could potentially be disastrous.

"We should be ready to go in about ten minutes, Your Highness," captain Valesca informs the queen. When she gets no reply, she takes a step closer and leans in with a look of curiosity. "My queen?"

The bodyguard can see her sovereign looking even paler than usual as she leans heavily against a tree. Her breaths are shallow and fast, her eyes staring blankly into nothingness.

"Perhaps we should camp for the day?" Valesca ventures.

"Wha'?" Suddenly Lyssa seems to snap out of her reverie, her unfocused gaze trying to locate the source of the intrusion.

"It looks like you could use some rest, Your Highness."

Lyssa's head jerks: "What? No, the Gwangee Amazons are waiting for us." With her free hand she shoos her second-in-command away, as if telling her to get a move on.

"That's... still several days' march away..." Valesca hesitates. "Did you hear anything from Matriarch Parvati?"

"Oh, me and the Matriarch get along really well. A remarkable woman," Lyssa smiles, as if that answers everything.

"So you've said, but..." Valesca puts a hand on the queen's arm, but it gets slapped away instantly!

"You heard me!" Lyssa bellows, breathing heavily as she turns on the captain. Sweat drips from her brow, onto her pallid cheeks. "Move!"

Valesca bows deeply and beats a hasty retreat. Before she does anything else, she tells her fellow bodyguards to keep an extra close eye on their queen.​

Although slower than anticipated, the Amazon army sticks to the plan and marches south until they reach the winding Amaxon river again. From there the great encircling manoeuvre turns westward, consolidating their position with every village and stronghold in their path. One step closer to Tlanxla.

What is not forthcoming is assistance from Hualotal in Gwangee, even if the domain borders Tlanxla. This is because, unbeknownst to Lyssa and the others, the matriarch Lyssa ostensibly got along so well with is dead. Her granddaughter and heir to Hualotal is only eight years old, but more importantly she is being raised by an old acquaintance of Lyssa. After being expelled from the Tarantula Coast, Parthenia the Wicked returned to her ancestral home in Gwangee. Following the death of their hated rival and overlord, Parthenia and her daughter Parthenia swiftly moved to control her underage successor. Cruel and selfish the both of them, mother and daughter are not liable to help anyone at the best of times – much less their most hated enemy!

Z52hcWE.jpg

Not always nice to see an old acquaintance...

The overgrown ruins echo with a cacophony of voices and screams. Soldiers rushing to and fro. Overlooking the commotion, Lyssa clutches a crumbling balustrade as she watches a haggard procession push their way through the throng. Between them a stretcher upon which lies matriarch Calypso. A blood-soaked bandage is wound tightly around her left thigh.

VfWRxnK.jpg

"Your Highness, the matriarch has been wounded leading the vanguard. They only made it as far as the first line of defence."

"Where are the reinforcements from Gwangee?"

The many voices get no reply as their leader stares blankly into the courtyard below. Her grip on the railing tightens reflexively as if to stop the growing trembling spreading from her hands.

"Hey mom! Mom! Are you gonna order the next assault or not?" the queen's daughter demands, but her impatience remains unsatisfied. Another voice breaks through the increasingly muffled chorus to dissent:

"Your Highness, we just received word from the detachment guarding our boats at Tetepe. They are under siege and heavily outnumbered. If we don't come to their aid we could get cut off entirely..."

xoFuWhR.jpg

Cheeky lizards!

"The vanguard needs to be reinforced or withdrawn, Your Highness."

Soon the incessant pleas just turn into garbled words.

"Should we hold or fall back to–"

Lyssa lifts her head from her silent contemplation and turns to captain Valesca with a puzzled look on her face: "Huh? Where..."

Her grip on the railing loosens. There is a brief eternity where it slips out of her hands and she stumbles backward. It is as if the whole congregation holds its breath, then before their eyes the Queen of the Amazon unceremoniously drops to the floor like a sack of potatoes.

Oh dear, it seems as though Lyssa's wits are starting to fail her -- and given that that same mind is what has kept her alive and in power through so many trials and tribulations, that is a dire development indeed.

Mmmm, not a good sign.

Hopefully the queen has a new friend after all this effort.
And she's gonna need it...

Ooops ...
*sad trombone*

Oh dear, it seems as though Lyssa's wits are starting to fail her -- and given that that same mind is what has kept her alive and in power through so many trials and tribulations, that is a dire development indeed.
The universe doesn't want her to reunite her people after all, it seems. Not only is this a terrible development, it's terrible timing too.

Mmmm, not a good sign.
Unlike a comet in the sky, it's hard to spin this as anything but bad indeed. May Rigg have mercy on us all!