• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Long time no see. Great to read an update.

I literally just checked this aar yesterday and am happily surprised its not dead!
I'm deeply honoured -- and it seems rummaging around the thread called me back to boot!

Glad to see you back in action, @dark_melancholy! :D
I wish I had never left, but it's very heartening to get such a warm welcome :)

Nurgle, the land of imprisoned vassals :)
Papa Nurgle is generous. Prison cells for everyone!

Long time no see. Great to read an update.
Way too long. Hopefully one update of many to come, without too many interruptions.

It's good to see there's still some interest in this AAR even after all this time. I considered trying to get the saves to work with the current version of the mod and game, but in the end managed to revert to version 2.ancient. At least that means the only potential spanner in the works is myself.

Chapter 32
Chapter 32: A Confluence of Conspiracy

TZYPIO3.jpg

The glow from Rigg's eternal fire licks the ancient stones of the great temple, shadow and light vying for supremacy in the night. Carrying the mantle of her office, chief priestess Tanya steps onto one of the shrine's many balconies and into this apocalyptic light show.

"The signs are clear," she tells the red-haired woman waiting outside. "The Throne of Rigg needs a queen. Amazonia needs a queen, in its hour of need."

Arms folded across her chest, Kriemhild nods silently. She doesn't say anything for a while before letting her arms drop with a sigh: "It can't be that hard. Azu is just a common shieldmaiden by birth, just like me. She rules, but she can never be queen and she knows it."

"Exactly," the priestess counters. "Azu already rules through her daughter as regent. It won't make any difference if she rules through a queen instead."

"The young Calypso is a proven warrior and has no reason to love the regency council," Kriemhild points out, eager for a quick solution. The Matriarch of Quetzlpan has been left to desperately try to recover the sunken city of Zarmuda – entrusted to her mother by Queen Lyssa – with no support from the capital.

Tanya just shakes her head and bids the redhead follow her into the temple. Taking a shimmering blue lantern she shines a light on one of the large murals lining the walls of the chamber inside. Carved into the stone are the names of Amazon queens stretching back into the Forgotten Times.

"Notice anything?" The priestess doesn't wait long for an answer she knows won't come. She gestures to a few names to help her companion along.

"They're all from the Anakonda or Pantheros clans..." Kriemhild muses at last. "Almost all of them."

Tanya nods: "Quetzlpan and clan Toucana were just savages before Queen Lyssa brought them into the fold. The venerable Pythona family is no more. As for another great Pantheros queen... Belyse is a bedridden drunk."

"It has to be Phaedra..." Kriemhild agrees reluctantly. She knows Tanya has already failed to convince the eldest Anakonda sister to take the throne. Not that it matters: Inanna is off on some fool endeavour, liable to share her mother's fate.

"She isn't her mother's equal," Tanya admits. "But with our, ahem, guidance..."

The marshal's lip curls. She has no mind for intrigue, but this only makes her even more suspicious of this plan: "And what's stopping Azu and her gang from offering their own 'guidance'?"

"Phaedra hasn't forgotten how they forced her off the council."

Kriemhild obviously doesn't share the priestess's confidence. "Be that as it may, this is dangerous territory you're hunting in. If all it takes is having an Anakonda in the palm of your hand... Princess Maya just showed up here in Ganaina."

Tanya gasps at the outrage: "A failed huntress!? They wouldn't dare..."

"Azu clawed her way up from nothing. She'll dare."​

B26tBdl.jpg

Amazons who fail their initation ritual don't get a claim, but who needs that

The blare of the warhorn immediately brings Inanna back to reality. Without hesitation, she pushes a confused Ixchel off herself and jumps to her feet. Not bothering to get dressed, the warrior princess snatches up her massive mace and rushes outside – leaving her lover to stumble after her.

"Mistress! One of our hunters spotted a small warband further inland!" One of Inanna's commanders approaches her, doing an admirable job of keeping to the topic at hand – and her eyes to herself.

"Who?" There was no telling what kind of lizard they might be facing. Certainly they are technically in Amaxacaro, but as far as anyone can tell that domain is embroiled in a conflict with nearby Spektazuma – which itself is collapsing into some sort of civil war. It is really all too much lizard politics for Inanna to wrap her head around, or care about. The uncertainty is infuriating.

"She didn't get a proper look at them, Matriarch. Should I send out scouts?"

Inanna's grip on her macuahuitl tightens, the wooden handle creaking in protest. "Forget it," she growls. "Get everyone ready to move out. We're meeting them head on!"

orWAT5i.jpg

In their hasty advance, the Amazons do not notice the enemy before they come upon them. Or perhaps more accurately: stumble upon them. Equally heedless, the Lizardmen come pouring out of the jungle in a reckless rush, even more scattered than the marching Amazons.

Wasting no time, eager to capitalize on the enemy's mistake and even more eager for battle, Inanna orders her warband to charge. She is already ahead of her own shieldmaidens by the time she finishes the command. With a big grin on her face, she lays into the disorganized Lizardmen around her. Sweeping her macuahuitl around, she crushes the legs of a Saurus warrior as it tries to run past her.

The bloodthirsty princess's delight is short-lived, however. Annoyingly, the Lizardmen seem more interested in fleeing than facing her wrath. It immediately makes for an unsatisfactory battle for an Amazon eager to prove herself.

Bellowing her frustrations towards the jungle canopy, Inanna brings her sword-mace down upon a crippled opponent. Showered in gore, she turns to survey the battlefield, watching as the stream of reptiles washes over the Amazon battle line and scatters into the thickets on their flanks.

That stream steadily becomes an erratic trickle in front of the Amazons. For their part the warrior women hesitate, unsure if they should split up in order to pursue. With a growl, Innana slings her hefty weapon over her shoulder, unable to decide whether to go left or right. A few meters ahead of her, a skink scrambles out of the underbrush when suddenly a javelin explodes its face from behind.

A moment later, tall figures emerge after the dead reptile. Their advance slows down as they find themselves just as surprised as Inanna's warriors. Their wargear battered and improvised, their weapons pilfered, the newcomers are still unmistakeably Amazons. Now they keep a certain distance as the two sides study each other intently.

Rather than figure out who these unknown sisters are, Inanna silently tries to decide which of them to blame for chasing away her prey. Earlier thoughts of coming to the aid of displaced sisters from far away are quickly forgotten. The princess is about to grab one of the lost tribeswomen by the throat when something in the corner of her eye gives her pause.

Dumbfounded and with her mouth wide open in disbelief she has no chance to react in time.

wfYQLxV.jpg

"Kriemhild isn't the only one asking questions," Azu the Younger points out. The elder Azu receives her words solemnly; her daughter might be the official regent but it is she who guides the clique ruling Ganaina in the queen's absence.

Off to the side sits Olariche, the third member of their little triad. She has so far not said a word in this meeting. Perhaps that is wise, considering how the island she is supposed to govern is falling apart in revolts.

"We cannot risk moving troops from Ganaina while the threat of Zarmuda hangs over our heads," the mother points out.

"Calypso of Quetzlpan might be naïve but if we leave the outlying tribes vulnerable she has the charisma to become a focal point for any matriarchs who do not respect us," the Regent counters. The elder Azu is a brilliant steward, but her daughter is already her superior in diplomatic matters.

"No one will respect us if we allow Ganaina to fall. Phaedra is a self-indulgent wastrel, Belyse has lost her mind to the bloodwine and Calypso is foolhardy." Steward Azu's words are calm and measured, merely stating facts rather than pass judgement. "We are all that stands between Ganaina and our enemies."

Azu the younger nods in reluctant agreement. She has been unable to properly command and control the matriarchs as Regent, leaving her in no position to argue.

"Our task is to safeguard the empty throne on behalf our queen. We cannot let it fall into enemy hands. Or worse, into the hands of her daughters!"

"I believe we have two of them in hand," the Regent muses, giving spymaster Olariche a pointed look as she does so: "But if Inanna returns successfully from whatever wild toucan chase she is on at the moment..."

NuXYu7r.jpg

You can't even leave this queendom without a queen for a few (several) years before they start bickering

The politicking is getting quite fervent.

Queen Lyssa had better come home soon, else she will find her own subjects have torn her kingdom apart with petty feuds and bickering.
The way the Amazons work in this mod means that they're unlikely to have well-rounded stats (they tend to become stupid when they come of age which is... well...) so actually getting a worthy successor is hard. For all her flaws, at least Lyssa was average-to-good at everything.

The politicking is getting quite fervent.
The proud Amazons would never stoop to such dishonourable behaviour... is what an Amazon would say, right before she got back to fervent politicking. I mean, the will of the Goddess is absolute... but open to interpretation, right?

Chapter 33
Chapter 33: The Mighty Amaxon Provides

In the council chamber, regent Azu the Younger patiently awaits a reply from her spymaster. Olariche does not reply, instead absently twirling a small scroll between her fingers. Before the regent or her mother can get a word from her, the door opens and the trio is rather brusquely joined by the three remaining council members.

"There's no council meeting scheduled," the regent's mother points out, suspicious of their sudden appearance.

"And yet, we're all here," Kriemhild shrugs. The marshal walks over to her seat, but remains standing.

"Rigg has spoken," Chief Priestess Tanya says plainly while still on her feet. "The Throne has remained empty for too long and She calls for a queen to sit upon it."

"You heard this in person?" Azu the Elder asks.

"I saw the signs," Tanya nods. "Me and all the Custodians of the Flame."

Azu grimaces: This means word is already spreading. "We would have to call a full assembly..." she tries to stall. "With the seas unsafe it would take weeks."

"Fortunately Matriarch Calypso has already mobilized her fleet..." The way Kriemhild lets her words hang in the air makes the clique members unsure if it is a threat or the marshal just being her usual socially awkward self. But even if it is not a military threat, if the popular and anti-regency Matriarch of Quetzlpan might be coming to attend an assembly to choose the next queen it does not bode well.

"There would be many candidates to consider," the Regent points out. "Surely we should not risk our unity when there are no clear candidates."

Tanya is not convinced: "We put the realm at much greater risk by not obeying Rigg's warning."

The two Azus exchange worried glances, but before they can admit defeat the third member of their clique leans forward and clears her throat.

"Oh I assure you we have a much greater threat to the realm on our hands." Olariche slaps a letter onto the council table for everyone to see. On it is the royal seal. "The queen is back."

Tackled with enough force to budge even her, Inanna staggers backward against the weight barrelling into her. On instinct she stamps her foot against a nearby root. Thus steadied she whips around to face her assailant, but finds her arms pinned. The princess snarls at her helplessness before defiance utterly crumbles into a shocked gasp: "Mom??"

The Queen of the Amazons just grins as her daughter tries to process what she sees. Unlike many others Inanna had never even contemplated that her mother might have perished in the depths of Lustria, but even so it is five years since she last saw her. Even more than the years of separation, years in the wilderness have made her mother unfamiliar to her eyes. The long-lost face Inanna is staring dumbly at has at least one less chin than she remembers, for one.

Eventually Lyssa releases her daughter from her embrace, allowing her to stumble away and see for herself that it isn't merely a jungle fever hallucination before her. Although her royal garb is battered and crudely repaired, the queen stands there as if a new woman. Or perhaps her old self. Even five years in the wilderness could not quite erase fifteen of indolence and excess, but the Lyssa who now stands before Inanna is easily half the size of the corpulent queen who left her.

"You... you came back!" Inanna finally manages after silently mouthing gibberish for a while. The mighty warrior is driven to tears of relief – and the pent up agony of those aimless years of her mother's absence. "I was... I've been looking all over..."

Lyssa silences her daughter with a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder: "And you found me."

Indignant at the tears pooling in her eyes, Inanna wipes them away angrily. She makes to turn away, then hesitates. At first averting her eyes, her gaze slowly moves up to meet Lyssa's – uncharacteristically too bashful to ask for that which she silent pleads.

The queen just chuckles and smiles fondly, before throwing open her arms and enveloping Inanna in a mighty hug: "I've missed you too."​

25z6Fn0.jpg

In Amazonia's hour of need, its long-lost queen emerges from the jungle. Word spreads quickly of her return, to the relief of some and the chagrin of others. Speculation runs rampant as to the nature of her quest and what she might have recovered from the darkest corners of Lustria. Lyssa does not seem interested in elaborating.

The queen fails to mention the Fountain of Youth, but one might be forgiven for assuming she's tasted its waters. No longer in the clutches of morose torpor her long-absent confidence seems to have been restored to her. Now she marches with a train of enslaved Lizardmen from Spektazuma in tow, burning passion in her eyes.

When the ungrateful pirates rise up to lay siege to the Triad Islands, Lyssa is still in Lizardman territory. Only when she and Inanna reach the Amaxon and are able to send messenger birds to carry the joyous news of her return does the queen receive replies that deliver fragments of the state of her realm. A flurry of singular issues, all of them subtly or not-so-subtly pinned on one of the sender's fellow councillors.

Lyssa's response is simple in its brazen confidence. Acting the saviour rather than absentee queen she promises to deliver them all from their petty squabbles. No explanation for her disappearance or recounting of her exploits, only the kind offer to take up the mantle of leadership from her poor beleaguered advisors. Put more succinctly: kindly shut up and let the queen rule.

Doubling down on her audacity the queen seems content to leave it at that. The handful of warcanoes left by Inanna is not nearly enough to carry them all. Rather than leave her warriors and loot behind and rush straight to Ganaina to put her councillors in their place, Lyssa takes her time. Graciously the queen gives her misguided advisors time to sort themselves out.

DoFpWS3.jpg

On its own, the news that Lyssa is back is enough to give her nearly all the support she needs.

It soon becomes clear that Lyssa is not content to simply make her triumphant return at the head of a train of Spektazuma slaves. When Lyssa makes her way through Amaxacaro, the Lizardman domain on the left bank of the Amaxon, she does so methodically. Warriors from Inanna's warband are left behind to hold strongpoints along the river. Amaxacaro is the gateway to the Amaxon river basin and now that she has returned the queen seems intent on securing it.

oVAabcn.jpg

Just a good old mother-daughter roadtrip

The Queen returns in splendor -- perhaps not quite the savior of the nation she presents herself as, but certainly a better alternative than civil war (for the moment).

And, of course, nothing like a good old-fashioned war of aggression to distract from past blunders and present troubles ;)

The return of the Queen

Well when i role-played in the last millennium, a common saying for badly rolled characters was "(S)He goes out in the jungle to die ..."

The Queen returns in splendor -- perhaps not quite the savior of the nation she presents herself as, but certainly a better alternative than civil war (for the moment).
"Bow down to me and my average but well-rounded stats!" -Queen Lyssa

The return of the Queen
Yuss! She returns to kick ass and drink booze... so please everyone keep the booze away from her.

Well when i role-played in the last millennium, a common saying for badly rolled characters was "(S)He goes out in the jungle to die ..."
"...goes out in the jungle to diet."
Dunno if she's any less "badly rolled" though, seeing how she hasn't shaken off any of her many bad traits.

To the chagrin of others indeed - I can just imagine certain faces!

Chapter 34
Chapter 34: Legacy of the Old Ones

h4hrzL4.jpg

At the head of her small bodyguard, Queen Lyssa strides confidently through the halls of the ancient temple. They had barely located the entrance, all but the only thing not covered by an ancient landslide of incredible proportions. Nevertheless, there has to be some great treasure buried here, the way the Lizardmen fought to deny them entry.

Lyssa is forced to step over several scaled corpses on her way: there was no stopping her daughter from rushing ahead. The queen sighs as the massive form of a dead Kroxigor forces her to make a detour. She has already secured Amaxacaro as far west as the Canchu River. She could return to Ganaina. But what wonders might reside within this temple...

The corridor ends in a massive, round door. The Old One carvings are as incomprehensible as they are familiar. Splattered with lizard blood, Inanna stands amongst a small cadre of Amazons and a heap of temple guards. Panting heavily, the princess takes another whack at the seal on the door with her club. This time it shatters.

"Ah, there you are..." the burly woman mumbles nonchalantly as she notices her mother approaching.

"Good job. Now let's see what we have here..."

"I don't think you'll find the Fountain of Youth in a dinky temple like this," Inanna observes. She sounds rather disappointed at this. If she could locate the mythical artifact then her mother would have no reason to leave again.

"Whatever it is, it is mine now," Lyssa says intently and motions for her followers to breach the door. With great effort they pry the ancient stone doors apart. Light from their torches flows into the small stone chamber but does not conjure the glint of gold or glow of ancient technology. The room turns out to be empty save for a blocky throne of sorts. Instead of treasure it holds a slumbering frog creature; one of the enigmatic Slann.

"Ugh, not even a challenge..." Inanna groans as she hefts her macuahuitl. Before she can rush in, she feels her mother's hand holding her back. The queen just shakes her head: Feeble and bloated though the Slann might seem in their sleep, their arcane prowess and might is beyond compare.

"Let's leave," Lyssa tells her daughter and steers her away with an arm on her shoulder. As they make their way back towards the entrance, she explains: "Remember: There are no creatures closer to the Old Ones than the Slann – except us of course!" The queen grins. "Best leave it alone."

Inanna clenches her teeth but holds her tongue. What is this irritating restraint on her mother's part all of a sudden.​

CVscihq.jpg

As the saying goes: "Let sleeping frogs lie"

In Lyssa's wake, the mighty domain of Spektazuma collapses under the assault of neighbouring Lizardmen. The chief of Amaxacaro comes out on top in the ensuing civil war, but to hold on to the temple city itself he has to concede control of the western parts of his old realm to the Amazons. Mere weeks after re-emerging, Lyssa has expanded the borders of Amazonia yet again – before even setting foot in Ganaina.

H92O9FR.jpg

Without getting into complicated lizard politics, let's just say this place is a mess

Everyone is on edge awaiting the queen's return to Ganaina; spymaster Olariche doubly so. Walking through the royal palace she is literally looking over her shoulder, but paranoid vigilance is not exactly necessary to notice the queen's slovenly daughter approaching her in the hallway.

As a failed Amazon, Maya hardly warranted anyone's notice despite her royal blood. As long she remained in the Triad Islands, distracted by foreign luxury goods, Olariche would agree with that assessment. But stuck in the capital with nothing to do... Olariche cannot help but worry.

"Oh aren't we blessed that the queen has returned?" Maya smiles, feigned innocence bolstered by the dimples on her cheeks. "She'll sort out your little pirate problem, you'll see."

You're lucky mommy's back or I'd slap that stupid grin off your fat face, Olariche seethes silently, but settles for a curt "We are very fortunate."

"It's all a bit of a mess isn't it..." the princess muses. "In fact I'm a bit concerned for you."

"I assure you we have everything in hand." Here it is: the ulterior motive.

Playing up her un-Amazon image, Maya affects the deepest, most guileless sympathy: "That's exactly it. Of course you do, but I worry about what the queen will think when she learns that you were not present to protect her daughter. As commander of the Xocibiki stronghold when the revolt happened, you understand."

"I... trust the queen's wisdom," Olariche swallows, unable to quite conceal how little she actually does trust it.

Maya nods: "But just in case I'll have a word with my mother on your behalf."

Now she's your mother is she... Olariche grits her teeth. "That is very... kind of you."

"I know, right?" the princess exclaims enthusiastically. Without missing a beat she puts her arm on the taller woman's shoulders and turns her around. "Now why don't we have lunch and discuss a couple of things that needs doing before she arrives? I bet you'll be very helpful!"​

OFF5J6A.jpg

Maya is actually just a nice girl...!

When Queen Lyssa finally arrives at Ganaina with her spoils and an aura of mystery, she does so to a rapturous – and carefully orchestrated – welcome. First to greet her are the former freedom fighters of Xoitia. Even after five years absence these Miyan remain steadfast in their admiration for her and all this time they have been guarding the city's perimeter in her name.

They are not alone: It is as if all of Amazonia is lining the grand avenue leading up the Shrine of Rigg, eager for a look at the "Stegadon Slayer". The "Pathfinder Queen". The "Terror of Tlax"... and other such epithets shouted by conveniently placed adherents.

At the Shrine itself, the ample sacrifices brought from Spektazuma and Amaxacaro help confirm that the queen's return is blessed by Rigg. The Great Huntress's approval is written in the blood that pours from the top of the mighty pyramid.

"You know, in the Gwangee Valley our sisters of the Jaguar Clan feast like this every day," Lyssa remarks before taking a big swig from her wine goblet. Following yesterday's public celebration, the Amazonian aristocracy is now gathered in the throne room for an extravagant dinner. The notable exceptions being Calypso II, Matriarch of the Northern Isles and the ageing Belyse, the latter rather humiliatingly bedridden with gout.

"They must be great hunters indeed," Steward Azu remarks, instinctively worrying about the cost and logistics of such excess.

"Oh they are," Lyssa continues the tale of her exploits. "In fact, their matriarch Parvati has a blessed affinity with the beasts of the jungle and rides this gigantic jaguar she raised from a cub. Really, she is a rather impressive woman all around and her granddaughter..." Lyssa does not shy away from giving her three daughters rather pointed looks. "...she's young but really quite remarkable."

Metal groans as Inanna crushes the goblet in her hand. Through clenched teeth she barks, face glowing red: "Well if they're so great, why are they living out in the middle of nowhere?"

Lyssa calmly finishes her cup before replying in an even tone: "Do you think that in the High Age our people just lived here in Ganaina? There are Old One temple-cities all over Lustria... as the Children of the Gods, would we not have lived alongside them? In fact, just like this sun gauntlet found in the ruins of Zarmuda, these are all our legacy." The queen takes the strange weapon from her belt and holds it up for the congregation to see. "Holy cities and ancient relics that rightfully belong to the Amazons."

Chief priestess Tanya nods with approval at the queen's speech.

Draped across her chair more than she's sitting in it, Phaedra languidly leans over to whisper to her sister: "I still think mom caught some kind of jungle fever while she was gone..."

"The legacy of our forebears is indeed important, but there are other matters that require our attention..." Azu the Elder ventures tactfully. Before she can distract the queen with more wine, however, marshal Kriemhild finishes the sentence for her:

"The shieldmaidens are ready to deal with them."

Azu gives the marshal a sour look. After years of trying to raise troops for the defence of the realm, all of a sudden warriors flock to the queen's banner without any problems?

"Good. Have the armies assembled and ready to march within the week," Lyssa commands, only now accepting the drink from Azu's hands.

"Uh... you mean 'ready to sail', right? To put down the Triad Island revolt...?"

As if having to process Kriemhild's words, Lyssa pauses to take a long sip from her cup. "Right... yeah of course. Revolt..." It is as if her gaze is already looking beyond her words.

"It won't be a problem. Matriarch Calypso is, uh, already on her way with her ships..." Kriemhild rubs her neck and puts on a bashful mask of sheepish innocence. "Convenient, huh...?"

y1AxlpZ.jpg

You're next...

I detect some dodgy-ness afoot.

I detect some dodgy-ness afoot.
Queen Lyssa is shocked, nay appalled by the suggestion that she can't just waltz in after five years and continue ruling as if nothing happened!

Is that a Revolting priest on that Island?
Revolting or not... must be quite holy, walking on water like that! (or rather, it's an attempt to spread Rigg's grace to the islands. As you can see it's not working too well)

Chapter 35
Chapter 35: The Apple
With warriors assembled and Quetzlpan's fleet arrived in Ganaina, Queen Lyssa inaugurates her return to the throne by leading Amazonia's armies to take back the Triad Islands. When they land on Xocibiki the Amazons meet little resistance, finding that they outnumber the would-be rebels five to one. Even with the odds in their favour, the rabble can be no match for Rigg's chosen. This is no battle, it's a hunt.

Moving swiftly on Quetzlpan's war canoes, the Amazons wash over the islands like an unstoppable tide. Nowhere do they face much in the way of organized resistance, making the campaign tedious but easy. In fact it seems that, for the most part, the instigators have vanished. Those that remain are more akin to stragglers from a pirate raid than a popular insurrection.

Suspicions quickly fall on nearby Port Reaver, the pirate stronghold to which the former 'governor' of the Triad Islands had fled many years ago. However, the queen seems disinclined to investigate further. Instead she contents herself with rounding up the most obvious ringleaders and burning them alive. Their blackened hearts are unfit to be offered to the great goddess so let Her holy fire consume them!

There are calls for having every foreigner – pirate or not – on the islands suffer the same fate, but Princess Maya begs her mother to reconsider. Their lives are spared, but even arguments about exotic foreign trade goods cannot save the Easterner's freedom. To resolve the situation as quickly as possible, an impatient Lyssa orders the entire non-Amazon population of the Triad Islands to be enslaved.

The queen is obviously eager to move on, but to where is anyone's guess...

TkAy6v2.jpg

Yet another rebellious Scholar bites the dust

Lyssa stands at the top of the stairs leading up to the old governor's mansion on Xocibiki, her fingers playing across the smooth stone of the balustrade. This Eastern architecture just seems so small and flimsy to her. Then again, one cannot expect barbarians to match the mighty edifices of the Amazons. The fact that the pyramids were built way back in the High Age does not bear mention...

Ever since the fall of the Triad Islands' pirate queendom, the mansion had been her daughter Maya's place of exile – if running a town could be called that. In combating the recent rebellion, Lyssa had made it a barrack of sorts, if only for the most elite of her warriors. At this moment, one of the most esteemed of those hurries past the queen.

"Going somewhere?" Lyssa takes a step away from the railing to intercept the young woman.

"The rebellion has been defeated; my work here is done," Calypso the Younger says matter-of-factly; she only slows down rather than stop.

Lyssa silently observes the woman, allowing her to go halfway down the stairs before moving to follow: "Our work has not even begun."

Clearing the last step, Calypso turns around to walk backwards while addressing her queen: "Our work? Where were you when Quetzlpan's barracuda warriors died on the shores of Zarmuda? When the undead menace was allowed to rise up and take that ancient city? I've done my part and now I'm going home to finish what I started."

"You really are your mother's daughter," Lyssa says, a touch of melancholy tugging at the corner of her eyes. "Ruder, perhaps, but still."

This gives Calypso some pause, but she still turns to leave.

"You know, she also almost tried to depose me..."

"Excuse me...?"

Lyssa just shrugs, now that she has the other woman's attention: "Zarmuda is a dump. Forget about that quagmire and let me show you a more worthy endeavour."

"Too many of my sisters have died fighting to liberate that 'dump'," Calypso counters. "I've been away long enough."

Arms outstretched in surrender, Lyssa seems to accept defeat: "Then I wish you fair winds on your journey. Though... surely you will stay but one more night." She puts on her most winning smile. "You know, for the victory feast. There are so many spoils to... sample."

Calypso's eyes light up, mouthing a silent refusal that never turns into words. She drops her satchel and shuffles back towards the mansion: "Maybe just for tonight..."

0jVhwgw.jpg

Did someone say "party"??

In the early hours of the morning, the mansion's banquet hall resembles the aftermath of a battle. No doubt quite a few friendly drunken brawls have been fought throughout the night, but mostly it's been a sumptuous feast. Those who failed to stagger to their beds lie sprawled on benches and curled up on marble tiles.

Only two women remain lucid, one slumped in an armchair, the other making a divan of her companion and a footstool.

"You weren't lying..." Calypso muses into her cup of Reiklander herb liqueur, her words slurred, before glancing up at Maya. "...your mother knows how to... throw a party."

Indolently gnawing on a chicken leg, the princess shrugs: "I like to think I've been a decent drinking companion as well."

Calypso's eyes try to focus on the cup in her hand: "Yeah... but..."

"I know, I know... you can't be seen fraternizing with someone who is Unworthy." The princess sounds more bored than hurt. Licking her fingers, she idly plays with Calypso's hair. In a whisper she adds for her own benefit: "...yet you keep accepting my invitations..."

Feeling slighted by the embarrassment Maya's honesty causes her, Calypso seems to sober up out of sheer touchiness. Laboriously she tries to crawl off her seat without rolling over. "Anyways... where did your mother–"

The double doors leading into the hall burst open, hinges groaning as they slam against the wall. Pausing to steady herself after kicking them open, Queen Lyssa saunters drunkenly into the hall.

"Look what I found!" she exclaims and holds up a bulky pirate handgun. Grabbing it awkwardly by the end of the stock, the queen points it at Calypso. For a small, tense, eternity she peers down the barrel at the confused, half-risen Amazon. A gleeful smile starts to spread on Lyssa's face as she demands: "Let's go hunting!"

julQBKT.jpg

Going into the wilderness with no preparation, drunk off their asses, does yield little in terms of quarry. Bored and tired after a while, the two Amazons are in silent, eager agreement to flop down and lean against a moss-covered tree trunk.

Lyssa peers into her empty wineskin, shaking it in a futile attempt to wring out another couple of drops. Eyes still fixed on the lack of booze, she tells Calypso: "You know, your mother and I vanquished the temple-city of Tlax together..."

"I've heard the stories. Everyone expects me to be her."

Lyssa lolls her head in the young matriarch's direction: "Now that I've seen the way you pack away capybara ribs," she chortles, "...are you sure you aren't?"

Calypso snorts through a reluctant little smile and shakes her head. Clumsily she shifts her weight and with a grunt retrieves a small flask which she hands to her companion. "I used to blame you for her death..." she admits.

Lyssa takes the revelation in stride with a big swig of the offered firewine. So did I, an insidious voice in her head reminds her. She lets the warmth of the liquor wash over her to banish the thought. Without thinking, the queen puts her arm around the younger woman, neither of them saying a word for a good while.

Nearly dozing off from too much booze and too little sleep, Lyssa stirs when Calypso finally breaks the eternal silence: "Whatever you might think, I did not seek to depose you," she states bluntly. "I sailed to Ganaina because marshal Kriemhild offered assistance against the undead if I did."

"You're saying Kriemhild was plotting to take the throne?" The thought of the blunt, blundering redhead attempting any kind of intrigue prompts a resounding belly laugh from the drunk queen.

Calypso shakes her head and scoffs: "The people on the council are fools, but they are loyal to you. Just not to each other."

"You think they're fools for bickering rather than lead our people to glory... yet you refuse your queen's offer..." Lyssa swirls the last dregs of her firewine as she muses. Her companion squirms at the insinuation.

"So... you grow up hearing rapturous stories of how your mother fought a Lizardman temple-city and won. What do you think people will have to say about the first Amazon who not only defeats, but conquers one?"

"What is it that you are planning, Your Highness?" Suddenly alert and focussed, Calypso's burning gaze meets Lyssa's.

"I plan to go war with you at my side."

Calypso's eyes narrow and she scoffs: "You just need my ships."

"No, I need you," Lyssa lies emphatically. Observing the internal conflict flicker over the young matriarch's face, she doubles down: "I want you to command the centre of my army, Calypso. When we triumph, you will be the one to lead the shieldmaidens of Quetzlpan as the first Amazons to enter Xahutec since the High Age."

Overwhelmed by the generous offer, Calypso's head swims with the promise of glory. Lyssa decides to interpret her awed silence as a 'yes'.

"Excellent. I look forward to fighting alongside you, Calypso Toucana." Lyssa grins and offers the gaping Amazon the rest of the firewine.

GEj89iM.jpg

The holy city of Xahutec, already in a bit of a pickle

Lyssa is dreaming big dreams, and she needs great-hearted amazons to make them real.

The Amazons march to war again! Hopefully the omens are favorable, and the Queen doesn't get distracted by yet another "side quest"...
Lyssa gets really hyped whenever she's come up with a new idea, but does have a pretty bad track record for sticking with them. I'm not sure how much of that is autobiographical... :p

Lyssa is dreaming big dreams, and she needs great-hearted amazons to make them real.
She has a knack for winning over great women... or simply outlasting them.