• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Korbah

Ratel
137 Badges
Mar 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
This small mod adds two new decisions to the Intrigue screen, Adopt Orphan Boy and Adopt Orphan Girl.
You must have at least 10 Prestige, be aged 50+ and be childless to enact the decisions, and when enacted a random courtier aged 5 from your own dynasty should appear. The courtier is automatically generated with legitimised bastard trait, all other traits and stats are random (as is the name).

Download | View attachment 53173

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. Thanks. :D

Downloading this now.

Very nice idea! But maybe you should add some new trait to the kids, like say "Adopted" giving major relation hits with people, less prestige gain etc or something along the line. (yes on top of the bastard trait)

You do not need to edit the vanilla decision file. Just give any other name to file. This will improve compatibility with others MODS.
If you rename the file adoption.txt (or some other name) and put it in decisions folder it will work same way.

events and decisions are the easy to mod, just put any name at file and put at right folder and it is done.

Just a suggestion a decision that produces a adoption with a character that is like a real son:
Code:
decisions = {
"adoption" = {

potential = { ai = no
    }
    allow = {
            scaled_wealth = 0.2
            ai = no
            is_married = yes
            female = no
    }
        effect = {
        province = 500

spouse = {

create_character = {
                        random_traits = no
                        dynasty = root
                        religion = root
                        culture = root
                        female = no
                        age = 15
                                                trait = legitimized_bastard
                        trait = midas_touched
                        trait = content
                        trait = strong
                        trait = temperate
                        trait = diligent
                        trait = brave
                        trait = genius
                        trait = fair
                        trait = tall
                        trait = kind
                    }
                    new_character = {
                        set_father = ROOT
                        set_mother = prev

}
                }

}

revoke_allowed = {
            always = no
        }
        ai_will_do = {
            factor = 0
        }
}
}

Would you mind if I base a similar decision I am working on on your mod? I want to be able to adopt close relations who do not come from landed dynasties.

@hilal
I don't cheat, nor make cheat mods, but it's a nice idea maybe post it in the cheat thread?
Ah I just reread your code, so you can set mother and father by decision/events? Interesting, thanks for the info :)

@Redrooster
Feel free to use anything I've made Red ;)

@hilal
I don't cheat, nor make cheat mods, but it's a nice idea maybe post it in the cheat thread?
Ah I just reread your code, so you can set mother and father by decision/events? Interesting, thanks for the info :)

@Redrooster
Feel free to use anything I've made Red ;)

Just delete the parts you consider cheating.
I think set_father/mother works just at new_character scope.

Nice and very useful mod, thanks!

As an idea, I'd consider splitting the decisions somewhat:

If your character is the kind of male(!) who'd do that (lustful and so on), make a "adopt one of your low-born bastard sons/daughters" decision available. The character would be a legitimatised bastard, and you should probably fire off the events for the spouse same as the default "a bastard is born" event does (... and maybe generate a low-born mother too, if not having a mother is a problem for this event chain)

If your character is chaste, on the other hand, an "adopt an orphan" decision could be available, getting you a character with a (new) "Adopted" trait, possibly pissing off your wife a little less, though likely getting along with the rest of the family not so well (since he's not blood related), especially with claimants to your or (later) his title(s).

Nice and very useful mod, thanks!

As an idea, I'd consider splitting the decisions somewhat:

If your character is the kind of male(!) who'd do that (lustful and so on), make a "adopt one of your low-born bastard sons/daughters" decision available. The character would be a legitimatised bastard, and you should probably fire off the events for the spouse same as the default "a bastard is born" event does (... and maybe generate a low-born mother too, if not having a mother is a problem for this event chain)

If your character is chaste, on the other hand, an "adopt an orphan" decision could be available, getting you a character with a (new) "Adopted" trait, possibly pissing off your wife a little less, though likely getting along with the rest of the family not so well (since he's not blood related), especially with claimants to your or (later) his title(s).

Feel free to take the mod and release it with your ideas, I'm working on other projects now and this was just something I whipped up for my (actual) wife, since she had this crazy luck of 5 games in a row ending within 100 years due to a lack of heirs. It's such a small mod that anyone should feel free to use it however they want, opensource and so on.

Feel free to take the mod and release it with your ideas, I'm working on other projects now and this was just something I whipped up for my (actual) wife, since she had this crazy luck of 5 games in a row ending within 100 years due to a lack of heirs. It's such a small mod that anyone should feel free to use it however they want, opensource and so on.

Thanks for the pre-permission to use :) I am new to modding CKII, so I am going to try to start small. (I really hope that this would count as 'small') Perhaps there is a way to add a "Broken Line" trait to the children of an "Adopted" character. They, too, would have to deal with the legacy of adoption, but they would be one step removed, so the effect would be slightly mitigated, and their children would be born without any extra traits because enough time would have passed - or perhaps it would require a character getting a certain amount of prestige to remove the "Broken Line" trait... you know, proving themselves worthy of the family name?

I've fiddled around with the adoption decisions presented above and now have two files, one to drop into decisions and the other into localisation.

If you are over 30 and have had less than two children in your life, you can adopt an orphan or two as your heir(s). As was intended in the original mod (with the improvements from hilal's code), they appear as five-year old legitimised bastards with random traits, with you set as their father (whether you are male or not). Even if you are married, your spouse does not appear as their other parent.

Attachments

• Adoption.zip
    1 KB · Views: 61