• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GoukaRyuu

Captain
31 Badges
Dec 30, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
Meeting of the US Bureau of Alternate Universal Affairs Historical Division on the Subject of Earth 12082015​

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Let me introduce myself, my name is Dr. David Fletcher. I am the head of the Historical Division of this newly created wing of government. I have my bachelors through doctorate degrees in History from Princeton University, with my specality being in Midieval European history. I am one of the foremost figures in my field with several papers and books published. Up until December, I was also a tenured professor at Princeton before the government," here David makes air-quotes, "'suggested' I take a leave of abscense. Then again, with the pay of this position plus the exciting opportunities it presents; I'm not complaining."

"Basically to sum up why we are here; on December 8th 2015 a portal of unknown origin appeared in the basement of the home of a Mr. and Mr. Goldberg of Alexandria, VA. This portal leads, apparently, to another Earth, though different from our own. The locals on the other end are just as perplexed as we are about it, but after a few hours to get through the language barrier we were able to establish a tenative peaceful interaction. Over the following six months this Top Secret Bureau was established to directly deal with our couterparts on the otherside. With the clear differences between our Earths' the Historical Division was formed to better cooperate and figure out the Point of Divergence between our worlds. The term is included in the glossary that is part of the dossier provided in front of you. For brevity's sake I will be using the term PoD from this point forward."

"We found that much of our history is a perfect match, but unlike what you might see in alternate history fiction, there isn't one decision by one person that clearly marks the deviation between our worlds. In the end, it is more like Chaos Theory. If you could take a random set of variables and run a simulation it would be nearly impossible for the same set of results to occur exactly. The fact that we have had roughly 950 years of divergence means that their world and ours will have differences that would only pile up over time. Oh yes, before I forget we have agreed on a naming convention betwen our worlds. The idea came from one of my team, she happens to be a fan of Marvel Comics. Their multiverse is numbered, the main universe of the comics is Earth-616 for example. Each of our Earth's will have our own number system unique to us. While we can not use the Marvel way of numbering universe's based off of an important value of the universe in question, we can use the date it was first discovered. So their universe is Earth-12082015, which is also the same value our's is to them. Our Earth in this context is numbered Earth-o. Trust me, it was better than having arguments of trying to make one Earth seem like the "original" or proper one."

"Anyways, this meeting is to be the first of several to brief you all on the history of that world. This way you can act as advisors to the Secretary of State or the President if the need calls for it, though I know one of you is going to be tapped as our ambassador. Our fellows on the other side are doing the same thing. This briefing will be hitting more of the high points than it will be going in-depth, so don't worry." Here David chuckled, "Some of you looked like some of my freshman students with the looks of terror on your faces. The leadership on both sides felt that to understand the past of each other would lead to a better understanding of the people we will be dealing with in the present. I personally will be touching on European events from September 1066, the rough date of the PoD, to the 1400s. Others on my team will be addressing you over the next few days on other areas of the world and different time periods. To make it a little easier for you we will be moving in chronological order."

"Okay. That is it for my introduction, the rest of my team will introduce themselves as they speak to you. After you ask any questions you may have initially, I will start with the period of roughly September 1066 - 1116. Then we will take a short break for more questions and a meal. If you have any questions please feel free to voice them. This is an absolutely fascinating series of events we are living through and any question will help us all learn more over the next few days."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: It has been roughly a year since I bought CK2. Out of nostalgia I was playing a Tutorial Island game when certain events happened that gave me some inspiration. I also decided to go with this concept because this way I don't have to go as in-depth as with my other AAR. It isn't dead, I promise! I am still doing some mod work to get some events working how I want. I chose today's date as of posting because it was today's date and it is my birthday today. So yeah, i hope you enjoy, and I have every intention of converting this to EUIV (possibly V2 and HoI3) when I get to that point. I will try to have the first part up by Friday. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This seems very interesting. I'll be sure to follow along!

Reactions:
1066 - 1116 Part 1​

"There are only really four topics I will be covering during this period. It isn't until the later half of this period that we will be dealing with movers and shakers that don't exist in our universe, though many would be alternate universe or alternate timeline, AU or ATL respectively again see your glossary. Effectively, they would be siblings of people from our world. In this respect many of the same rulers from our history are still there, though this changes as they die off in the decades following the PoD."

* There was not a successful invasion of England by William "the Bastard" of Normandy*

"Anyway, I am sure if any of you remember your history lessons from school, the one thing you know about 1066 is the Norman Invasion of England by William I "the Conqueror" against Harold II Godwinson. Most people don't know that William was just the second invasion Harold was facing. Based off the earlier Norse domination of England by Cnut/Canute "the Great" and followed by Harald/Harold I "the Harefoot" and Harthacnut/Hardeknud, King Harald III of Norway, also known as Harold Hardrada, also attacked Harold Godwinson for the English throne. This is important because in September of 1066 Harold Godwinson fought Harald Hardrada in our universe at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. Hardrada lost the battle, his possibility of gaining the English throne, and his life. This however also exhausted Harold Godwinson's troops who had to rush back at the news of William's invasion and lost at the Battle of Hastings in October 1066. On Earth-12082015 the Battle of Stamford Bridge never happened."

_____
William%20the%20Bastard_zpssw5jm6zl.png
____
King%20Harold%20Godwinson_zpsnkrk4icc.png
____
King%20Harald%20Hardrada_zpsbolzetj7.png

"What we can piece together is that it has to do with weather. In our universe, William was hampered by stormy seas and couldn't move his forces across the Channel until the weather cleared up. In their universe, the weather cleared up much quicker and he was able to move his forces. Harold Godwinson received news of this on his way north to meet Harald Hardrada. This left him in a quandry. While it is known many of the local lords in the area used guerrilla tactics to try to whittle down the Norwegian king's army he still sieged and raided much of the north of England. William himself sieged much of the areas of Middlesex, including London, and the surrounding areas."

"What saved Harold Godwinson was some expert diplomatic maneuvering. He made arrangements with King Phillip I of France, also our world's Phillip I though he is known by the epithet "the fat" instead of "the Amorous" in the other universe, to enter the war against Harald Hardrada, cementing this alliance by approving a marriage between Phillip and Harold's daughter Gunhild. He was at this time William's liege in his capacity as William II "the Bastard" of Normandy. Needless to say, William was surprised and angry when a French army appeared in England and his own liege ordered him to stand down and join in defending England from the Norwegians. Harald Hardrada lived only a scant few years more before passing, but unlike in our world another member of his dynasty took the throne instead of his son, our universe's Magnus II of Norway. William would invade again roughly twenty years later to press his claim again but would die before the war ended, his son and successor Richard IV of Normandy, in our world he died in a hunting accident in the New Forest sometime between 1069 - 1075, lost the war and the claim to the throne in the process. His eldest Robert who had gained the ducal title of Normandy in OTL died early of an illness at the age of 22. His younger son Henry who became Henry II in OTL was born around 1068 so he was never born here."

(Rendition from the early 1110s)

OOC: Okay, you know I had to explain this first. This would be considered a big change if something like this happened, though it is pretty par for the course for CK2. The rest of 1066 - 1115 should take about 2 more updates. One detailing the changes in Tutorial Island, and the other dealing with some Christian developments and the First Crusade.

I do have one question if anyone can help. In the history of the Kingdom of Ireland you have one guy who is listed that even in real life is the only person to be listed in the Irish Annals as King of Ireland and not High King. That is Máel Sechnaill. Now, I want to add a hyphen between his names in the historical files because that is how new characters get named the name. So, if a new character gets it with the space it becomes Máel II Sechnaill. If they have a hyphen they are the first. I tried editing the history files of Ireland and adding a hyphen but it didn't take in game. Do I need to hop over to the localization files too to just add a hyphen?

(Also keep in mind I was inspired to do this AAR after I played for like 30 years so while there will be maps in the next one and we will see a map of the state of the known world by the end of Part 3.)

Last edited:
Reactions:
1066 - 1116 Part 2​

"Next, we will be traveling only over the Irish Sea to the Emerald Isle itself. 1066 saw the start of a process, finishing in 1093, that we never saw in our universe. It is one that has far reaching implications.

*The Irish unify as a unitary monarchy*

"Now the Irish have had monarchies for awhile. Some of you may know that they had a High Kingdom. This means that there were other kings on the island that were in theory subservient to the high king, though it didn't usually work that way in practice. He was more of a first among equals."

"The person who accomplished what Máel-Sechniall mac Máele Ruanaid or Malachy, for convenience's sake I will be anglicizing most names after I have stated their proper Gaelic form first, and Brian Boru couldn't is actually a kinsman of the former, Domnall Ua Neill Naoigallaich. the name translates to Donald O'Neil of the Nine Hostages. Neil of the Nine Hostages was an important historical figure and founder of the Ua Niall/O'Neil dynasty."

_____________King Máel-Sechniall I______________________________________________________________King Domnall I
________
Maacuteel_Sechniall%20I_zpsl4vryavv.png

"During 1066 Donald was one of several members of his family that ruled in the north of the island. This is true in both universes. What changed was his consolidation of power. Acquiring neighboring counties and eventually usurping the (Petty) Kingdom of Ulster from Cú Ulad Ua Flaithrí by 1075."

"Over the next few years he would continue to grow his realm in-between bouts of helping King Harold II of England, in a war against Scotland, and Petty King Cadwgan of Gwynedd, with a rebellion. He gained Tír Chonaill around 1080 solidifying his control of the north of Ireland."

"In 1088 he won Dublin from Murchad mac Diarmata. In 1092 he took Cill Dara from Máel-Sechlainn also usurping the Petty Kingdom of Mide from the man. At this point, controlling nearly half the island he declared himself not high king but King of Ireland and Tara. Only the previously mentioned Malachy is listed in the Irish annals in both our worlds to be called by such a title up to this point. Pope Martin II had declared a Crusade for Jerusalem a few months earlier and Donald's recent war had put a dent in his fiances and troops. Once the Crusade was over and those lords that had been involved returned Donald made his move to establish control over the rest of the island."

"The true test for Donald; whether he would be regarded like others in the last 40 - 50 years as a High King with opposition, like his kinsman Malachy as a true King of Ireland, or better than Malachy and Brian Boru and a true king forever changing politics in Ireland; came down to his war with Tadg mac Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair the Petty King of Connacht(a) in 1096. This was to try to assert his authority over the southern Irish lords.

"Initially, Donald was losing the war badly. The other independent lords joined Tadg in defense and he lost the huge battle of Cill Dara against Énna of Laigin, having to call in Gwynedd and hire mercenaries to assist in the fight. He borrowed money from the few Jews living in his realm and almost got desperate enough to banish them and confiscate their gold when Tadg finally surrendered in 1098, losing his realm entirely to Donald. This war broke the backs of the rest of the lords of Ireland, who finally bent knee."

Unified Kingdom or Ireland, 1116
Unified%20Ireland%201113_zpsl1vyxqbt.png

"Now I want to point out several things that Donald changed here. As mentioned above, this was the establishment of a unitary monarchy. It has been argued that Brian Boru had tried to do the same thing but died before it could stick. Donald made it stick through three ways. First, he adopted Tanistry succession; at first it was for when he ruled Ulaidh, but later for the kingdom itself. This meant that any male, or female if there really were no other options, descended from Donald's father Niall could inherit. So any descendants of Donald, his younger brother Áed/Hugh, and his younger half-brother Donnchad/Duncan. Giving the earls and dukes of the realm a say in the next ruler was rather popular."

"Second, while risky, he strengthened those that were his direct vassals. Toirdhealbhach Ua Briain, Brian Boru's grandson and one of the High King's of Ireland with opposition of our universe, was the Petty King and later Duke of Mumu/Munster. The southern most earldom, Deashumhain/Desmond, was not under O'Brian's control though he had de jure claim to the land. Donald transferred vassalage of this particular earl and receieved goodwill from O'Brian in return. The same happened when he made Énna of Laigin the Duke of Leinster."

"Finally, Donald was long lived. He died a natural death in January of 1105 at the age of 75. Outliving many that were against his reign and leaving his heir, younger half-brother Duncan I, in a strong position to keep control of the country. After all, the O'Neils' controlled roughly a little over 60% of the island. Our counterparts in the other world were surprised that Ireland had been dominated by a Norman conquered England just as much as we were surprised it unified itself and would go on to have such a massive role in history."

King Donnchad I
King%20Donnchad%20I_zpsn8xq3i2d.png

The Kings of Ireland up to 1110
Kings%20of%20Ireland%201093%20_%201110_zps3fjh3ken.png

"The last part of 1066 - 1116 will be up next and that will be about Christendom in general and most specifically about the First Crusade. Before that, does anyone have any questions?"

OOC: I may have rushed through typing this part a bit. Please let me know if there is anything else you want me to expand on or you want to see and I will try to improve this post. Also, while I am doing this for my own enjoyment i could always your comments, critiques, and the like. It is always nice to hear from those that read these.

Reactions:
Sorry to say it but it seems your pictures ran off. Also so far it's alright.

I'm guessing only in the first post, right? I hadn't moved them to the folder in photobucket that I wanted but they still seemed to work for me. Oh well, the site did warn me.

Well, I'm glad it is alright so far. If you have any suggestions on how to improve I'd be willing to listen too.

Subscribed! Just asking, but are you playing each nation in turn or just observing the world as it happens?

Reactions:
Subscribed! Just asking, but are you playing each nation in turn or just observing the world as it happens?

Actually, It started out as me playing Ireland for nostalgia. What happened during the First Crusade, even though I wasn't involved, was so miraculous that I was inspired to do an AAR. It still is mostly observing the world, but I probably will be jumping around if I see something interesting. I will at least stick with Ireland until the death of King Niall/Neil, who ascended the throne in 1110 after Donald II.

Well, a well-written AAR formatted as conference proceedings! This is a rare treat, if it's ever been done before!

Reactions:
1066 - 1116 Part 3

"Finally, I am going to cover developments in other areas of Christendom. There are a few smaller things to discuss, and then we will get into the First Crusade."

"One interesting change for the steppes is that early after the PoD the Cuman- Kipchak Confederation, also known as Cumania, converted to Roman Catholicism. This deals with an area of land going from our present day Romania into Kazakhstan. Infact, the main headquarters of the Order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, known better as the Knights Hospitaller, outside of the holy-land was Barsa-Kelmos located on the Ustyurt Plateau in Kazakhstan's Mangyetsu region. The settlement itself was on the Caspian Sea's eastern shore. This placement for an order that was charged with defending the holy-land seems strange, but the reasoning was that this gave them the ability to not only defend pilgrims coming from the east, but also attack the most possible enemies, the Seljuks, from a direction they wouldn't expect. Overall, it just added yet another variable to the region that would already have to deal with the Mongol hordes. Yes, even with nearly a century and a half of change from our own; it isn't hard to think that someone would eventually unite the clans and tribes into a powerful fighting force."

Location of the Hospitaller Headquarters of Barsa-Kelmos on the Caspian Sea
Barony%20of%20Barsa_Kelmos_zps31xe3d3s.png

"Anyway, another small development I will touch on real quick before getting into the Holy Roman Empire and the First Crusade is the fall of the Republic of Genoa. It lasted nearly 800 years in our world, from 1005 - 1797 when it fell to Napoleon. In this universe it fell to a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire. The republic was destroyed and territory made into another feudal domain eventually coming under the control of Tuscany. The republic only lasted from 1005 - 1085. Between this, and the results of the First Crusade, Pisa filled the void as a powerful merchant republic in the Western Mediterranean Sea."

"And that is as good a segue-way as any into our next main topics, the Holy Roman Empire and the First Crusade. The trigger for the First Crusade in our universe came about because of the fall of Anatolia to the Seljuks and the request for help from the Byzantine Emperor to the Pope. The rather well-known Battle of Manzikert in 1071 our universe saw the defeat of the Byzantines by Seljuk Emperor Alp Arslan. This battle didn't happen in the other universe. It wasn't even until the 1090s, almost roughly concurrent with the First Crusade, that Anatolia, most of modern-day Turkey, was taken by the Sunni Turks of this world."

"There were more reasons than the fall of Anatolia for the First Crusade though. The Investiture Controversy was in full swing. Simplifying it, it came down to the Emperor and the Pope arguing over who had the right to select bishops, invest someone, in their realm. This even led the Emperor, Henry III of the Salian Dynasty, to push for anti-popes who would be more likely to back him. In this universe, it led to the formation of a line of Anti-Popes in Valais, our modern- day Switzerland. The first of these anti-popes was John Paul. Yes, I found it humorous too. He would in turn be followed by Lucius III."

Emperor Henry III of the Holy Roman Empire
Emperor%20Henry%20III%20HRE_zpsiac2ycwb.png

Pope Martin II
Pope%20Martin%20II_zpsjj8h386e.png

Anti-Pope John Paul of Valais
Anti_Pope%20John%20Paul%20of%20Valais_zpsgz613jxf.png

"In the hopes of unifying Christendom against an external threat, and getting Henry III to come back into the fold, Pope Martin II called for a Crusade to take Jerusalem back from the Saracen heathens. All those that would go would receive a blanket indulgence for their sins. Many other nobles joined the Papal States in the crusade though not a lot of Kings. The most notable was King Sulvan I of Croatia. The Knights Hospitaller was officially recognized by the church at this time and the Knights Templar, much like in our universe, started forming into what it would become around this time as well. While they also received some payment for services rendered, the Serene Republics of Pisa and Venice used their ships to ferry over the crusaders and were granted papal permission to involve their own troops as well."

"The Crusade went very poorly. Their were many battle loses to the Fatimids, the Shia Caliphate and Sultans of Egypt who were very much in a position of strength at the time. When all seemed lost and the crusade was near finished a miracle happened. Troops led by Doge Benedetto of the Serene Republic of Pisa actually captured Caliph al-Munastir II in battle. In order to secure his release, the Caliph gave over to the Doge what was demanded. In 1095 Pope Martin II announced the end of the Crusade and the administration of the holy-land by Pisa. The Pisan Doges would style themselves the Doges of the Serene Republics of Pisa and Jerusalem for roughly the next twenty years. This would end up being merely a title though used to keep some pride. Both the Fatamids and Seljuks would attack and regain the holy-land in roughly three years time. After about twenty years the Pisan doges dropped the title of Doge of Jerusalem as they started to see the lose as an embarrassment."

Doge Benedetto of the Serene Republics of Pisa and Jerusalem
Serene%20Doge%20Benedetto%20of%20Pisa%20and%20Jerusalem_zpsetq8wdrz.png

Shia Caliph al-Munastir II
Caliph%20al_Munastir%20II%20Sultan%20of%20Egypt_zpst2t3lacg.png

Political Map of Europe 1116
Map%20Political_Europe%201116_zpsuxrbygkl.png

Map of Religions of Europe 1116
Map%20Religious_Europe%201116_zpsbvhyy9pw.png

"That ends the period of 1066 - 1116 in European history that we will be talking about. If anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free to ask. If not we will break for lunch before moving on to the next part."

OOC: So that brings an end to the first 50 years of the game. Again, I probably need to learn brevity. Still, I hoped you all enjoyed it. I am going to finish playing King Niall/Neil of Ireland, ascended the throne in 1110. After that I don't know where I will play next.

*I will come back later and edit in proper renal numbers for earlier entries.

Last edited:
Reactions:
1116 - 1166 Part 1

"Now that we're back from lunch let's get right back into it. This time we will be covering the next fifty years or so, we might be able to go a little longer before breaking again. In any case, the next topic will be dealing with France."

*France splits in two*

Political map of Europe 1116
Political%20Map%20Europe%201116_zpssonpcixt.png

"Yes, you heard that right. One of the most important countries in the world that can trace its history back to the Frankish Empire and Charlemagne splits in two. Not that it wasn't already split between Charlemagne and his brother Carloman or between Charlemagne's sons but those or other stories. By this point in our universe France would remain largely in the state it is, only losing or gaining territory on the periphery. However, following the death of Henri/Henry II of France in 1122 just such a split did occur."

King Henri II of France
King%20Henri%20II%20of%20France_zpsahvcfla0.png

"Now it should be pointed out that for a decent length of time France actually had an elective monarchy. By the point of the PoD however, it had become more formality than anything else, with the heir elected within a ruler's lifetime and the heir ruling as co-king until he ascended to the throne himself. That is why if you look at a list of French kings you will see a few who are listed as co- kings but not as official Kings of France because they never ruled in their own right. In our world the practice ended with Philip II Augustus, who reigned from 1180 - 1223."

"In this world Henry II had had so many conflicts on his plate that he wasn't able to get the nobles together to elect his son Benoît/Benedict as the next King of France and Aquitaine. A brief aside, but after the victory of Benedetto, which also means Benedict, in the First Crusade the name became rather popular. I mentioned this Benoît and at this point there were already two Benedikts as Kings of Denmark. Anyway, after King Henry II's death from an infected wound the nobles convened to elect the next king. Benoît believed it would be him. He was the first born son of Henry and of the Capetian Dynasty. He was the clear choice. When it wasn't him that was elected...well. To say he didn't take it well would be an understatement. He stormed out and went and gathered an army starting a rebellion and what is usually considered an interregnum period with the conflict being called Benoît's War."

"The conflict raged for roughly two years, 1122 - 1124. In the end it was diplomacy and compromise that won the day instead of the sword. Previous Kings of France had been using the King of Aquitaine bit as a title to add to their grandeur. The agreement saw Benoît become King of Aquitaine, the southern half of what we would think of as France and dominated more by the Occitan language and culture than French, while also retaining some personal lands in our modern day Belgium and Holland."

King Benoît of Aquitaine
King%20Benoicirct%20of%20Aquitaine_zpsa3mkf3gu.png

"France went to the one the nobles had elected king two years prior, King Richard I. He is someone that I have mentioned previously. Care to make a guess?"

After pausing for a moment he heard the shuffling of notes and chatter among those in the room before a female voice in the center of the room spoke up.

"Was it Duke Richard IV of Normandy?"

David Fletcher smiled as he responded,"Yes. That is absolutely right. Richard de Normandie, the son of William II "the Bastard," was elected king by the nobles and by fighting Benoît to a draw was able to keep the crown. The treaty between Richard and Benoît also saw the stipulation that the election of the king by the nobles be abolished. From that point forward the French crown would pass on by Agnatic Primogeniture, only inheritable by males."

King Richard I of France
King%20Richard%20of%20France_zpsiyt7liyn.png

"As you can see, the further we move from the PoD the further things change. It seems unlikely for France to split from our perspective, but in the other world it is an established fact. We will continue to see differences like these emerge as we move forward in the timeline."

Political Map of Europe 1125
Political%20Map%20Europe%201125_zps1g1cm2cp.png

OOC: Again something that happens a lot in CK2. I hope this seems historically plausible.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Aquitaine nearly always splits when I play through CK2. It tends to become reunited with France eventually, but not always.

Aquitaine nearly always splits when I play through CK2. It tends to become reunited with France eventually, but not always.

We'll see if this sticks or not. I hope it does because I want to convert to EUIV and would like not having a BBB.

Does Richard I still have a claim on England?

If you reread 1066 - 1116 Part 1 it mentions that William did a Second Norman Invasion of England. He didn't live to see the end of the war but Richard lost it. He only has a weak claim now and is old enough that he could go at any time. The claim is pretty much gone.

Last edited:
1116 - 1166 Part 2

"After the split of France we will cover our next major topic and a few smaller but still important ones. The major topic is the Second Crusade. Unlike in our universe all Crusades are those classified as being called for by the Pope regardless of target. Some of what we consider Crusades in our universe were more personal crusades started by various kings. This is important because the Second Crusade did not gun for Jerusalem at all. Instead the target was the Almoravid Sultanate of Mauritania, known to us as the area of modern day Morocco."

"I can see some looks of confusion; trust me I felt the same way, but the explanation made sense. This actually goes back to the butterfly effect of changes begetting more changes as things move from a PoD. In this case King Niall/Neil I "the Kind" of Ireland is the one who persuaded Pope Boniface VIII to organize this venture. King Neil's brother Duncan, Duncan's son Aedán/Aidan, and Tanist and eventually successor Máel-Sechniall/Malachy II "the Lionheart" were all very militarily gifted, even brilliant strategists. They convinced Neil who went to the Pope on the matter.

King Niall/Neil (I)* of Ireland in his later years
King%20Niall%20of%20Ireland_zpszptuhert.png

Pope Boniface VIII
Pope%20Boniface%20VIII_zpsepsunjy9.png

"The argument was that while God granted a miracle during the First Crusade, God also favored those who worked for their accomplishments. Reclaiming Mauritania would be a good stepping stone to retaking the holy land. The Almoravids were a powerful presence in the region and had also hindered the Iberian Christian kingdoms from retaking the peninsula. By taking Mauritania, the Iberian kingdoms would have an easier time against the Moors and after converting the population to Christianity, there would be more soldiers to help in retaking Jerusalem. Boniface VIII was skeptical but went along with it, saying that if this failed it would be on Neil's head. Between the skepticism with the plan and the fact that it actually worked to an extent; Boniface held an intense dislike for Neil for the rest of his life, though he past not too long after the Crusade's completion."

"The Crusade was called in July of 1125. Several realms, including the kingdom of Ireland, answered the call. These included Scotland and Venice among a few ducal lords as well. Several of the rulers that showed up were older and the stress of campaigning led to death. There were a few big battles but mostly skirmishes. Both Tangier and Marrakesh were sieged. In the end, it was the Knights Hospitaller, under Baudoïn "the Great," who were rewarded Mauritania. They kept their old headquarters on the Caspian Sea but moved their base of operations to Marrakesh. The whole affair was over by August of 1129."

Successful%20Crusade_zpsyncmvvnn.png

"The other topics I will briefly cover have to do with the Fatimids and the Seljuks. At this period the Fatamids were at their greatest apogee. They held a realm that extended from our modern day Algeria, including Algiers, in the west to the middle of the Arabian Peninsula in the east, including control of Mecca and Medina. After the fall of the Almoravids, as a result of the Second Crusade, the Fatimids tried to gather together their forces and those of any other Shia realms and kick the Knights Hospitaller out of Mauritania. However, there had been ever increasing revolts and rebellions in their realm and this final war overextended them too far. A man by the name of Alam, founder of the Alamid Dynasty, took control of the Shia Caliphate by right of conquest. While he did gain several Fatimid lands, many more were for all intents and purposes independent and would remain so for some time. In our universe their realm lasted from 909 - 1171, about 262 years. They dissolved roughly forty years earlier than in our world."

Map of Dissolved Fatimid Empire 1136
Post%20Fatimid%20Dissolution%201136_zpspopnexet.png

"The Seljuks weren't faring much better. There had been some fraying around the edges of the empire for the last twenty to thirty years in this timeline. However, a failed invasion of the Greek lands of the Byzantine Empire led to a weakened emperor. There were a lot of rebellions and it too would end up falling before the time it did in our universe. The empire fell in 1194 in our universe. So it came apart about fifty years earlier here."

Map of Seljuk Empire Fraying at the Seams 1136
Seljuk%20Empire%20Fraying%201136_zpsyrngptir.png

"As can be seen, this period of history is a complex one. France splits into, a Christian presence is established in Northern Africa, and The Middle East falls into a state of near chaos as micro-states vie for power. With the fall of the Almoravids, Fatimids, and Seljuks, both Sunni and Shia Islam were in a dangerous period."

Political Map of Europe 1136
Political%20Map%20Europe%201136_zpsblybdwms.png

OOC: So that is certainly an interesting development, right? I look forward to the EUIV days and what may happen, I think I would want the knights to secularize.

For the time being I think I am finished playing as Ireland, but I can't pick where to play as next, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Super knights... maybe... who knows sometimes rebels blow up people really bad.

Trust me I wish, but you can't play as theocracies or (landed) holy orders. Playing around I hit on a direction I might stick with. Not that it is too obvious who I play as anyway given i only cover the high points.

Interesting so far. Islam in Iberia is in danger, Christians on both sides!

Reactions:
Interesting so far. Islam in Iberia is in danger, Christians on both sides!
The Muslims of the World should unite and declare a Jihad for...
DENMARK!
Give the Christians a taste of their own medicine...

Reactions: