• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jmuf

Muffin Man
64 Badges
Mar 9, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
Welcome Everyone!
RyMG1vh.png

I Jmuf, have returned to finish what I've started. Many years ago I started a grand campaign titled Making Italy Great Again. I ended up quitting the mega campaign, due to issues with conversions, and a bit of boredom of it. Looking at it now, and reflecting back on it, I feel that it could be so much better. That the Italian AAR could've been so much better. Especially from a modern perspective, it feels cringey looking at it when I was writing it at such a young age where I didn't know much at all about history. These last few years I've learned so much about European history that I would've never been had the experience to learn about in a normal American high school class, if I wasn't playing games like these, meeting so many history nuts on Discord, and just overall spending a lot of time studying history. I still don't know much, but that's ok I'll learn. After taking all this time, I've finally decided the time is ripe, and it's now the perfect time to resurrect the campaign, in my new vision for what I have. After all, if we're going to be quarantined, might as well give y'all something to read. So without further ado, I shall begin.

Things to Note before we begin

- Unlike my previous campaign there will be more of a focus on characters, their emotions, and their ambitions. I feel writing in this style will keep this AAR more fresh, and entertaining. I will continue to have comedy here, and there in this AAR, but it won't be the primary writing style of the AAR. I also write my AARs using a LOT OF IMAGES.

- As we progress, I may change styles to become more interactive, and to focus on the other ongoing conflicts in other countries. Interaction will be similar to this Al Andalusia AAR, with the readers acting as a council, who will go on to decide the fate of Italy. Readers will also be permitted to submit fan characters, to act as politicians in the later games of Victoria 2, and Hearts of Iron 4. But for the time being, we will continue with my aforementioned style of writing, till I deem it time to do so.

- I will be using mods which are: Torture!, Rename Anyone, Nicknames++, Play Non Dynastic heirs, Horrors of War, Abdication Plus, No Satan Masks, Jmuf's Immersive Map mod (A shameless plug I know), my own version of Patrum Scuta, Sketchy's Cheat Mod, and the CKIII like Map Font.

- I have all DLC for each, and everyone of the Paradox games. So all features will be available in those games.

- For gamerules I've set set demesne, and vassal limits to be quartered, to make it harder. Revolts have been buffed up through the roof. I also intend to use Sketchy's Cheat mod to buff the AI whenever I deem it necessary for balance, and fun. I've also disabled matrilineal marriages, to make it more historical. Also like through history, no dynasty will be around forever, so do not expect the dynasties of Italy to continue on from CK2 all the way up to HOI4.

- I will be following a typical mega campaign starting from CK2 going to EU4, then to Victoria 2, and then from there to HOI4, and then finally to Stellaris for the grand finale. With each conversion I plan to heavily mod the events to come, to craft, and weave one gigantic story, a story of Italy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Who are we going to play?

8MOfiW3.jpg

We will be playing a much different character than that of Robert de Hauteville. We will be playing as Count Pietro Ruffo of Amalfi in 1241. He'll be a challenging character, but I thoroughly believe that his tales of struggle will be legendary, and will make for an awesome story.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
The Crusader Kings II Chapters

Chapter I: Count Pietro Ruffo "the Pious" of Amalfi
Chapter II:
Chapter III:
Chapter IV:
Chapter V:
Chapter VI:
Chapter VII:
Chapter VIII:
Chapter IX:
Chapter X:

The Europa Universalis IV Chapters

Chapter I:
Chapter II:
Chapter III:
Chapter IV:
Chapter V:
Chapter VI:
Chapter VII:
Chapter VIII:
Chapter IX:
Chapter X:

The Victoria II Chapters

Chapter I:
Chapter II:
Chapter III:
Chapter IV:
Chapter V:
Chapter VI:
Chapter VII:
Chapter VIII:
Chapter IX:
Chapter X:

The Hearts of Iron IV Chapters

Chapter I:
Chapter II:
Chapter III:
Chapter IV:
Chapter V:
Chapter VI:
Chapter VII:
Chapter VIII:
Chapter IX:
Chapter X:

To be written after the coffee break...

Last edited:

8MOfiW3.jpg

To begin off Count Pietro Ruffo of Amalfi is one man defending himself off from the Holy Roman Empire which has just obtained Sicily for the empire. In this position he is very vulnerable against the empire.
5V9poMR.jpg

To start us off, in 1221 the Pope calls all Christians to invade Egypt in the name of thy Lord, and to expand the Christian holdings in the Middle East. Count Pietro being a good Christian of course pledges his men to the cause.

KunVmlZ.jpg

One of the reassuring things about the empire is that Pietro has family within the empire. Hopefully with his ties to the Count of Cosenza he'll be protected.
JRoX7kk.jpg

Well that got escalated quickly. Welp, seeing as we're now surrounded, the most ideal thing would be for Count Pietro to take this time to pledge fealty to the empire. He fears that not doing so will threaten the goodbeing of his population.
7Sxtis8.jpg

As a part of joining the empire, he wanted to make sure he was in good standings with the rest of the emperor's vassals. If Amalfi is to survive this will be critical.
gDQldyf.jpg

With the Crusade for Egypt nearing, Count Pietro is offered the position of commandership in the Abruzzian army, so that he may help train the soldiers in preparation of the Crusade. Pietro agrees.
ft0qKY9.jpg

On the 11th of October in 1221, the Pope declares that the Crusade shall begin. Count Pietro is filled with great religious fervor.
r7bDS2s.jpg

Count Pietro, and his men are the first participants in the Crusade to land on the shores of Egypt. However, they may have to already retreat because the Egyptian armies are quickly gathering to the West.
R8EHI6A.jpg

He retreats to the mouth of the Nile, and sets sail for the Kingdom of Jerusalem to combine forces.
wXAh1jc.jpg

He takes this time to wait for the other Crusaders to arrive in the Jerusalemite capital of Jaffa.
pn4vvR4.jpg

He meets up with Grandmaster Manrique of the Knights of Santiago. They'd later go on to become great friends, and share this brother in arms relation towards each other when they return from the Crusade.
a6q8IU3.jpg

The Egyptians try to march Northwards to take the great city of Ascalon from the Christians, but they are fiercely beat off.

hStkZnB.jpg

This religious fervor of his is enhanced even farther when he sees a comet overhead. After seeing that he fights with a stronger ferocity than that of before.
ReA3L3d.jpg

He'd later meet a young muslim girl, who was making obvious attempts to get into his pants. Of course being the religious man he is, he does away with her. Little did he know that this was actually an attempt by the Islamic leaders to figure out the military plans of the Crusaders.
EH5nmeY.jpg

And on the 27th of August, 1223 the Christian Crusaders are victorious in their efforts to expel the Muslims from Egypt.
zu2mbix.jpg

Due to his great military leadership in the campaign, Count Pietro is granted the lands of Faiyum. He would go on to grant these lands to his nephew Sigerio.
MVxtMcA.jpg

Upon his return back, he meets a lady Letizia. From his courtship, he heard that she is quite the intelligent lady, especially in regards to business. He decides to take her in as his new steward, but this displeases his former steward significantly.
Ar8SHja.jpg

Returning from the Crusade, Count Pietro wants to dedicate the rest of his life to the Christian faith. He has this belief that he miraculously made it out alive out of Jerusalem, especially considering he was fighting on the fightlines of many of the major battles in the war.
hqGDI3m.jpg

He decides to venture to the capital of the Christian world: Rome. It is here he finds solace, and spends time thinking about what he wants to do to become a better person.
5kaiw7p.jpg

Upon his return back, he decides to make a generous donation to the Templars. After all these expenditures are necessary in protecting the Christian kingdoms of Egypt, and Jerusalem.

9RvkR2W.jpg

At one of the court gatherings that he annually holds Pietro becomes great friends with his steward Letizia. Letizia's husband grows wary of their relationship, and has this feeling of distrust in Count Pietro. He feels that he is a threat to their relationship, and vocally expresses his concerns to Pietro in quiet.
twhLKbg.jpg

Count Pietro takes this concerns to heart, and decides that to further his connection to God, he must become fully celibate. He expresses this vocally to his court, and especially to Letizia, who gets quite wildly confused by this gesture. She viewed the relationship as purely platonic, unlike her husband. Her views towards the situation would make Pietro regret his actions of being quite verbal about it, and almost regretting.
lZvOurv.jpg

Working with the monks of the Benedictine Order, Pietro pledges to build new churches in Amalfi.
GOlOy3c.jpg

Pietro's liege later would take note of this, and would place him as the advisor of his finances. Pietro would of course use this new position to its fullest to get finances to work on building new churches, and renovating them. Pietro also uses it as a opportunity to push through a legislation for financial reform, especially in regards to collecting the church tithes.
m6Ct3b5.jpg

One of the first of devastating blows to Pietro would come in May of 1231, when his half brother Giovanni Pietro died. His death would traumatize Pietro until his death, because he feels that he could've done so much more to save him. He got the best of European doctors at the time, and he still ended up dying to illness.
GTzSBJE.jpg

With Giovanni's death, Pietro was almost exclusively partaking in church everyday from the rest of his days. Hoping that one day that he'd be able to meet his half brother once again in Heaven. He would grow to become friends with many of the priests, but the most important priest he'd become friends with is Oberto. Oberto helped council Pietro through those trying times of Giovanni's death, and helped make Pietro's day brighter.
LhFUZnP.jpg

Following Sigismund's death in August, Napoli was in chaos. His son was supposed to take the throne, but Count Pietro thought this to be wrong for him to take the throne. From his experience with Sigismund, he was a very unvirtuous man, who lived a very sinful life, and found from his very limited experiences with his son, that he'd be a terrible ruler.

QhEQZIk.jpg

His plans to take over the county were met with defeat.
zUcKwi8.jpg

And another defeat.
vDOuvf9.jpg

Pietro would get married in 1233, when he thought he met the girl of his dreams.
AoVv4s3.jpg

Maybe we can win this Pietro thought to himself.
TrVE2YH.jpg

No, we can't win this.
IhMG2vd.jpg

He'd later surrender to the Count Marco of Napoli. This would reaffirm Count Marco's rule in Napoli for good.
Wxaxklp.jpg

Count Pietro despite seeming to be a strong virtuous pious man, was a troubled person suffering from the same demons that haunt every person. After the troubling death of his half brother Giovanni, and the death of his dear friend Oberto he would ultimately drown himself. He would be found by his newly wed wife Maria. His tale reminds people today, of how fragile a human being really is, and that even the most strong figures can be troubled, and drowning in pain.

Last edited:
Can you post when you put up Chapter 1 - the problem with reserving placeholders and the like is that when you edit in the post people don't get notifications etc.

Interested to see where this goes, is there any particular reason you chose the 1241 start date?

I chose the 1241 start date, because I wanted something different. It feels every other start date has been tried, and used by other players, and myself. This startdate is something different, than what I am used to, and I found it to be a particularly interesting startdate for Italy. In Sicily, the Holy Roman Empire dominates Sicilian politics, and to the North, Genoa and Venice are other important powers within the Mediterranean. I think having to compete with all of them them will be fun in the long run of this campaign.

Chapter 1 is also up! I hope you all thoroughly enjoy it, as I know I enjoyed writing this section. Especially the ending of it. :)