• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Breiastel777

Corporal
59 Badges
Dec 24, 2017
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Island Bound
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
In my opinion, the way ethics attraction and pops changing ethics works right now seems a bit broken, and is WAY too hard to change.

In my current game, I was trying to change from pacifist to militarist ethics. So, I go to war, suppress all of my existing factions, and a militarist one pops up with 5 pop, which was 6% support out of my total 76 pops. Now, queue me cycling wars for the next 40 years to keep militarist attraction up. After those 40 years, all with a militarist attraction that should lead to about 25% of my pops being militarist. At the end of those 40 years, my militarist faction had 7 pops, with was still only 6% support as I now had about 115 pops total. So, I do the only sensible, logical thing and start spending 6 influence a month to suppress all of my 4 other factions and promote my militarist one. Now militarist ethos should be in about 45% of my pops. After 15 years of this, there is only 11 militarist pop still, which is now 9% support from my 125 ish pops. Then, spending some influence to get my militarist faction leader elected, and attraction is now 56% toward militarist. But after 6 years so far of this, I have only gained 1 more pop into the faction, and I have gained 5-6 pops to my empire overall.

It is seriously ridiculous how hard it is to change the ethics for your pops. I remember another game I played as a materialist nation, and after conquering some spiritualists, there was still a spiritualist faction with about 10% support after 100 years of me suppressing their faction and promoting others, and even using the 'encourage political thought' decision to try and get them to change.

While it should take a lot of work to change how your pops think, spending 6 influence a month for 20 years suppressing factions and promoting my militarists, THAT IS A LOT OF EFFORT. It should be rewarded at least a little bit. It should definitely be a little bit easier to change your pops ethics.

Upvote 0