• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Plank of Wood

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
24 Badges
Nov 16, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
latest

In 1836, the most powerful Empire in western Europe - and indeed the world - is the Dual Monarchy of France and England, lead by the King Henry X Plantagenet. The two constituent nations, bound by religion, history, and leadership, rule themselves democratically - through two Parliaments merged into the Estates-General.

But in this Age of Nationalism, the channel between English and French begins to gape into an ocean. Can the Plantagenets, the most powerful royal family in the world, survive the century?

___

1835 Election Results
1835-40
1840 Election
1840 Election Results
1840-45
1845 Election
1845 Election Results
July 1845
August-October 1845
The English War of Independence
1846-49
1849 Election
1849-54 (and 1849 Election Results)
1854 Election
1854 Election Results
1854-61
___

Welcome to Loyalty Binds Me, a mildly interactive IAAR using DoD and playing as the Dual Monarchy. The Dual Monarchy has one of the most freeform paths in western Europe. If it can survive, it will continue to be the most powerful nation in the region. But all is not well in the Two Kingdoms. The four main national groups - English, French, Irish, Provincial - can threaten to tear apart this Empire with ease. If you need more history, have a look over here, but I will be diverging for ease of simplicity.

You interact with the game through elections. Every 5 ingame years (or sooner, if the Monarch decides to call an early election), you will cast a vote for the party they want to see win.

At the game start, while the Estates-General is technically united, national differences mean that parties in England and France run separately. Each player gets 1 vote for both. A potential player ballot could be:

England: English National Party
France: Parti Liberale

The results for both parliaments are then added together, and a ruling coalition is formed. I use that to inform what direction I will go in ingame.

While you're encouraged to discuss what's going on in the game, this is a mildly-interactive IAAR so in-character RPing isn't allowed. Sorry.

With that out of the way, let's get going!

Full Interactivity approved by Mr.C

Last edited:
Election of 1835

Parties in the Kingdom of England

226 Seats for Election

The Liberal Party

An English Liberal party, in favour of free trade, parliamentary rule, and gentle reform of the unitary system. Supporters range from the English Aristocracy to the Urban gentry. A sister party of the French Parti Liberale.

Economic Position: Liberal
Political Position: Liberal
National Position: Reformist

The Royalist Party

An English Conservative party, in favour of protectionism, the rule of law, and the continued survival of the Dual Monarchy. Has wide ranging support in the French speaking minority, the Welsh, and the clergy. A sister party of the French Parti Conservateur.

Economic Position: Conservative
Political Position: Conservative
National Position: Unionist

The English Nationalists

An English Nationalist Party lead by the Duke of York, largely in favour of devolved rule for England. Has limited support in the North of England, as well as in some parts of Ireland.

Economic Position: Centrist
National Position: Home Rule

Parties in the Kingdom of France

275 Seats for Election

Parti Liberale

A French Liberal party, in favour of free trade, parliamentary rule, but skeptical of major reform to the unitary system. Supported widely in the French heartlands. Sister party of the Liberal Party.

Economic Position: Liberal
National Position: Reformist

Parti Conservateur

A French Conservative party, in favour of protectionism, rule of law, and the continuation of the Dual Monarchy. Supported by the Anglois in the North, the Bretons, and the clergy. Sister party of the Royalist Party.

Political Position: Conservative
National Position: Unionist

Légitimistes

A reactionary party in favour of the restoration of the legitimate House of Valois to the throne of France and the end of Plantagenet rule. Wide support in the south of France.

Political Position: Reactionary
National Position: French Independence

Ballot:

English Vote:
French Vote:

Begin voting! Voting ends in three days, at 11PM GMT, 8th Janurary.

Last edited:
I vote

England: The English Nationalists
France: Légitimistes

Good luck Plank of Wood

Well a new DoD AAR, I'm glad to see so many active nowadays!

May I suggest that you change the Whigs though ? It comes from Scotland so I doubt it would enter the political arena in DoD :p (although since you hold Ireland, tory could make a little bit of sense)

As for my votes :
England : English Nationalists
France : Légitimistes
It wouldn't be that fun if you had no troubles with nationalism in the Dual-Monarchy :D

Reactions:
What would you suggest as an English language replacement for Whig?

Edit: Changed to a more continental "Liberal Party", and the Tories to the "Royalist Party".

Last edited:
Subscribed, and here is my vote! Hopefully the unionists won't deceive me.

England: The Royalist Party
France: Parti Conservateur

English vote: The Liberal Party
French vote: Parti Liberale

English vote: The Liberal Party
French vote: Parti Liberale

English Vote: The Royalist Party
French Vote: Parti Conservateur

English: Liberal party! Pip Pip!

English: Royalist Party

England: The Royalist Party

Best of luck to you with this.

So @Plank of Wood, question for the future. Will strong minorities not part of the coalition have any in-game affect? I can imagine such a thing might happen once other parties begin to form thus making it so a coalition would only rule by a weak plurality