• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Resinex112

Corporal
1 Badges
Feb 16, 2015
  • A Game of Dwarves
1140px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png

"The love of liberty brought us here"
Liberia, the civilized democratic jewel of West Africa. Nay, all of Africa. Liberia's situation in 1836 is far from desirable, though Colonial Agent Anthony D. Williams is optimistic that the nation can become richer and much more prosperous. On the turn of the new year he ordered a small census to be conducted to get a better understanding of the Liberian people.

jdTf3dT.png

Williams was pleased with this result. Though the Afro-American community is a very small minority in their nation, the large amount of farmers was music to Williams ears, who was renown for his agrarian policies and beliefs. However, he was worried that his rival, Tyrice Daniel of the Nationalist Party, would gain favour with the American Colonization Society and replace him as Colonial Agent. However, he brushed his worries aside as he recieved great news about the population.

liHwFUB.png

With this news, Williams passed a new bill through the Colonial Senate named "The Rights of Man". This bill ensured that all men, and by all he obviously meant Afro-Americans, were equal. This bill was heavily criticized by the 96% majority of unrepresented people, as well as the Nationalist Party who had recently started campaigning
for a naturalized Liberia.

aOymfWc.png

With the Rights of Man bill passed through the Colonial Senate, Anthony D. Williams set his sites on the bigger picture and began writing his first ever political piece titled "The Greatest Liberia". In this piece he expressed his ideas of a so called "Greater Liberia" which would contain much of the unclaimed land bordering Liberia. Though his piece would not be completed for a while, the ideas still greatly affected the modern politics of Liberia.

Ds3K0cI.png

A map of West Africa, with Liberia in red and Greater Liberia in maroon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors Note:
Thanks for reading the first post to my first AAR! I don't suspect much to happen with this AAR, though I do have a few plans for what I want to do down the line, and achieving Greater Liberia is my main goal. I hope you have enjoyed reading, and I hope you will continue to enjoy reading! Thanks!

Oh, and I know this particular post is image heavy and very little happens, I wanted to establish it before really playing on,

Anthony D. Williams new he wouldn't be re-selected by the American Colonization Society Committee with his current progress so he set about with a plan. The first thing on the agenda was the navy, or more like the lack of a navy. He set about building Liberia's first ever port in Monrovia, though expensive he thought that this would show the ACS that he was serious about his job and that he wished to keep it. He also ordered the building of a Clipper Transport, the Monrovia, which would take about a year.

nmgjq4y.png

Next he set his eyes upon philosophy, and ordered the leading philosophers to start working on Malthusian Thought, which he hoped to increase the education efficiency within Liberia which was vastly needed within the nation with a literacy rate of below 10%. Then, fortune struck Williams as the police forces started parades throughout Liberia to show their support of his regime and to show their commitment to the protection of the people. Thousands of people from all the ethnic groups joined in with the small celebrations, and Williams had a small plan. He decided he would use this to his advantage and ordered the police parades to also carry banners fully supporting Williams and the Democratic Party which he represents.

1h4Xmsv.png

After a while, the Monrovia clipper transport was completed and she was set to make her maiden voyage within a week. Williams planned an elaborate speech to make whilst launching the ship. His speech would be short but he hoped effective. The week passed by and the Monrovia was launched by Colonial Agent Williams, whilst making his speech:
"Ladies, Gentlemen, today marks a very important day in Liberian history! Not only have we shown the world that we have the capacity to create a navy, but also that we can create one without running into a deficit, unlike a lot of other nations. With this glorious victory I hereby declare the following week to be a week of celebration and joy!"

Kurofune_2.jpg

The only known photograph of Monrovia.

With the Monrovia launched, he set his eyes back to philosophy. After two long years of research, the leading philosophers had finished Malthusian Thought, and the ideas were rolled out to every educated circle in Liberia. However, he was still doubtful that he would win the upcoming Selection Committee, though he hoped he would get at least some of the votes.

Dcxmxrq.png

As the year was coming to a slow end and winter was setting in, he prepared for the six months of campaigning and bribing he would have to do. He was selected to stay as the candidate for both the Democratic Party and the Whig Party, hoping that he would secure a large number of votes from fans of both. However, his longtime rival Tyrice Daniel was running as the Nationalist Party candidate and he was vastly more popular than Williams, especially with the military. After 6 long months of campaigning, the results came in.

RmLfSiu.png

Williams had lost, Daniel had won. Now, as Williams had put it, a right wing reactionary loony was Colonial Agent for Liberia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors Note:
I forgot to mention, I am using the following mods:
All Hail Liberia, Hail: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/all-hail-liberia-hail-a-pdm-minimod.848172/

Victoria! PDM Mod: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/victoria-a-pop-mod.793791/

Always nice to see a less typical country played out. I will be reading.
Thanks for the sub, I wanted to do a small nation with a low pop so I could actually get to the endgame and Liberia has a really interesting history so I chose them :p

Oh, and the next post will be out today, I had it all planned out yesterday so it wont be long

ZmsNkLD.png

Tyrice Daniel's had won the selection committee and had become the Colonial Agent for Liberia. A staunch reactionary, a hard industrialist, and a Liberian Patriot, Daniel's began to set out his master plan for Liberia. Daniel's had shown himself to be quite the genius, and used his talents very well for the years ahead. His first act would be a speech in the Capitol Building in Monrovia, which he hoped would garner the support of the Senate.

3UlRWuL.png

Colonial Agent Tyrice Daniel

"Fellow Liberians, men of freedom and liberty. I am so proud that I managed to defeat the lame duck that was Williams and I am very much looking forward to bring a new age to Liberia! My plans are simple: Modernise the nation. Though our terrain will not allow it just yet, I want to build the foundations of what will become the Great Liberian Railway! Additionally, I want to end the agrarian practices of our forefathers and modernise the workforce. I only hope that this government will allow me to enact my plans and to work together for the benefit of the Liberian People."
The Capitol Building exploded with applause when Daniel's finished his speech, and he knew that he had won over almost everyone in the building. After the speech, Tyrice ordered an exhibition to be held in Monrovia, and invited several diplomats from key nations to visit. This move, however, was seen as an abuse of power as he had not consulted with the American Colonization Society, and to an extent the American overlords.

PVYiync.png

He then went about repaying every single loan that Liberia borrowed, as well as all the interest. This move cemented his public image as one of if not the best leader Liberia has ever had. With the loans repaid, Daniel's set his eyes on the industry. Seeing that the only resource in Liberia is coffee which does not require any industrial processing, he decided the best course of action would be a printing press.

RrGey8S.png

He ordered the building of the printing press, and issued several monetary incentives to anyone who would become a craftsman to work in the new factory, which can hold 10,000 people at a maximum. The factory took about 130 days to build and immediately saw a profit, with the help of state subsidies of course.

KJKWe4M.png

His first term was coming to an end, and the selection committee was once again called to see who should be the Colonial Agent. With 6 months to win over the hearts of the committee and the people, Tyrice Daniel's set about campaigning. He retold the tales of the first factory and of the lack of national debt to the committee, which won many over to his side. However, the majority of his success comes from Anthony Williams Jr, the son of former Colonial Agent Williams, running as the Democratic Party candidate. To this, Tyrice said: "It seems the Williams wish to see Liberia a family run nation!". These words cemented his victory.

eVWeq2J.png

Tyrice Daniel was in his second term as Colonial Agent after a safe victory. There was one thing that lingered on every Liberians mind, civilized or savage: independence. Little did the population know Daniel's had a plan, a Greater Plan.
Nothing much happened during the first couple years of his second term, though he did order a mass expansion of the navy and later the military. How ever, he spent a noticeable amount of time in the USA to garner support at the American Colonization Society for independence, leaving Vice President and General of the Army Osborne Brown as de facto leader. But in 1847 just shy of the new year, Colonial Agent Tyrice Daniel's came back from the USA with success.

qfqj2y9.png

The matter was taken to the Capitol Building and the victory was an outstanding 100% yes on independence. With this, the "Declaration of Liberian Independence" was signed by all members of the government, and the Republic of Liberia was declared! Additional, they also claimed the savage lands to the north of Liberia so they were no longer a thin strip of claimed territory among unclaimed and savage kingdoms. Along with the declaration of independence, the new additions to the Liberian Navy were officially launched and set sail to join the other ship in the navy, currently on patrol.

UpS5D9L.png

The next thing on the agenda was to claim Sierra Leone and to attempt to purchase the British colony of Freetown. Tyrice Daniel personally invited the British Governor of Freetown as well as a few diplomats from the United Kingdom to come to Monrovia for the talks of purchasing Freetown from them. The talks lasted weeks but finally they came to an agreement; Liberia would purchase Freetown and own all sovereignty over it for 20,000 pounds, which was half the national reserves. Daniel's was very pleased with this result and set about incorporating the new territory.

ymFawBN.png

The Greater Liberian Dream was now becoming a reality, and President Tyrice Daniel's ordered a new map to be drawn up and a new census to be done. The results of the census were very surprising to the Christian, Nationalist Government that Daniel's lead, since Sierra Leone more than doubled the population, with the majority of the new citizens being Sunni Muslim.

k9A2Cu7.png

wFT6lk0.png

However, the First Presidents term was up. Though he was extremely popular he was also very humble and stepped down the leadership of the Nationalist Party and thus his candidacy for Presidency. His Vice President and closest friend Osborne Brown took charge of the party and in turn became the candidate.Many supported the General taking charge in politics, and saw his ambitiousness as a very good quality for a President to have.

VcQ0GIj.jpg

Drawing of Osborne Brown.

His campaign would be much less Christian-Base, seeing as how slim the minority was, and instead focus on a more Pluralistic fashion. This ended up splitting the party in two with the Osborne followers being "Osbornites" and the Christians being "Moralites". However, since they were by law one party, only one person could run for President and no one dared to question Osborne Brown's skill. After the 6 months of campaigning, the Nationalists once again won, though they were forever split.

RcPGtxC.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors Note:
Wow! Thanks for all the support! I cant believe that I have won the Weekly AAR Showcase, it's such an honour, thank you so much @Xhanada

Make Liberia Great Again!

Make Liberia Great Again!
Brown will make Liberia great again!

Subbed! You are doing a great job creating a lived-in political world.

Will we see tensions between American-descendants and the native Africans?

Thanks, I really am enjoying creating different political situations and such, the next updated (which is all but done, I need one more picture from it because the one I have is awful) will be very interesting in my opinion politically. As for the tensions, I could potentially create a few decisions for the Reactionary, Residency government to enact where the population decreases but also assimilates faster? I'm not sure how I could do it though :p

Osborne Brown had secured the title of President, but by doing so he split the party. He called a Nationalist Party Conference fairly early on in the year in hopes to unify the party. However the conference was filled with strife and argument, a few fist fights even happened. In the end, President Brown gave up in hopes of uniting the party. One party entered the conference, though two had left.

aPDu7ic.png

(Dangit, just noticed the typo, I'll fix that for next time)

The Patriot Party, lead by the President, was the Pluralistic half of the Nationalist Party. They believed that all religions should be accepted, though of course Christianity should remain the State Religion. The Traditionalists, however, were much more authoritarian in religion. They believed that only Christianity should be practiced in Liberia and all others were inferior. This new party was lead by Bishop Jack Baldwin, a well renowned conservative Christian. A few days after the formation of these two parties, Brown declared the Nationalist Party defunct, a major blow on his image as he had promised a "unified, strong government" and so blatantly failed.

HT5DhoN.png

President Brown, adamant to fix his image, ordered the mass expansion of the military, as well as the building of a fort. This new military force would consist of 18,000 soldiers from across all of the Liberian population groups. This however would cause some tension as the soldiers tended to be much more racist than any other occupation in Liberia, though Osborne was a stricter General than he was President.

nmUAQyk.png

He then set his eyes on the Windward Coast, part of the Greater Plan, and he wished to claim all of it. However, this motion was blocked by the government as they were worried that this much expansion in such little time would threaten the local savage kingdoms, and also potentially threaten the international Great Powers. This angered President Brown immensely as he felt that the government was blocking his plans for Greater Liberia.

5TznXgU.png

His anger slowly turned into resentment towards the government, and in 1853 he did something drastic and very much unconstitutional. He took the Liberian Army and stormed the Capitol Building during it's Monthly Address and killed anyone who refused to swear an oath of loyalty towards President Brown. After two hours of "negotiations", Osborne Brown declared himself Supreme President Osborne Brown. Things were looking down in Liberia...

cYRfFIg.png

(The image I had for the coup looked awful so I decided to get a new one and loaded up a random new game and did event 60010, hence the date :p)

Interesting explanation for the coup event.

Does this mod make it easier for Liberia to colonise the places it claims? Otherwise it will likely be a long time before Liberia acquires the Windward Coast.

Interesting explanation for the coup event.

Does this mod make it easier for Liberia to colonise the places it claims? Otherwise it will likely be a long time before Liberia acquires the Windward Coast.
The Hail Liberia, Hail! mod has a few decisions in it that are relatively balanced that allow Liberia to claim the land around so I don't have to colonize it; though I wont be doing it all instantly so it keeps some elements of slow progression.

I'll be watching this closely. It's unusual to come by a Vicky 2 AAR of an African nation.

Very interesting, keep up the good work.