• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KolyFrog

Lord Koly of House Frog the Lord of the Pond
50 Badges
Mar 12, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Hi, I decided to write an ARR about House Reed. I know it has been done multiple times before but after hundreds of hours playing CK2 (this game is literally the only game I play for the last few months) and reading AARs (and the World of Ice and Fire) I just want to try my hand once more into writing an AAR.

I'm playing as House Reed on the Crowned Stag bookmark starting at midyear 8284.
her_reed.gif

Table of Contents
Howland "the Careless" Reed (284 AL - 317 AL)
Chapter I: Summer Dreams
Chapter II: A Court of Lizards
Chapter III: The Imperious Wolf
Chapter IV: A Lonely King
Chapter V: The Son of Howland
Chapter VI: A Song of Ice and Mud
Chapter VII: A Wolf Can't Fish
Chapter VIII: The Life of a Lord
Chapter IX: Moat Cailin
Chapter X: Summer Memories
Chapter XI: A Mummer's Dragon
Chapter XII: Careless
Epilogue: A New Lord, A New King

Interlude Part I: The Neck
Interlude Part II: The North
Interlude Part III: The South

Torghen "the Ruthless" Reed (317 AL - 334AL)
Chapter XIII: This Lizard-Lion Bites
Chapter XIV: Ruthless
Chapter XV: The Second Son
Chapter XVI: A Wolf Can Fish
Chapter XVII: Long Lost, But Home Again
Chapter XVIII: The Flower Among Reeds
Chapter XIX: Inheriting the North
Chapter XX: The Curse
Chapter XXI: The Proud Lord
Chapter XXII: Ruthless

Last edited:
Chapter I: Summer Dreams

1_zpspltiahip.jpg

2_zps24eadayv.jpg

1_zpspltiahip.jpg

I am Howland of House Reed, Lord of Greywater Watch and defender of the Neck, and I am sworn to House Stark of Winterfell to defend the North from a Southron invasion. This allegiance with House Stark brought my house and my people, the Crannogmen, into the conflict that will later be known as “The War of the Usurper.” I raised my banners and followed my liege lord, Eddard Stark, to the “Battle of the Trident” all the way south to the Tower of Joy, where Lyanna Stark is being kept. What transpired in the Tower, I cannot say for I am sworn to secrecy. All there is to know is that there are seven of us who came there but only two of us came back. After the war ended, Robert of House Baratheon was crowned as King of the Iron Throne and thus marks the start of the glorious reign of the Crowned Stag.
8_zps9phes5az.jpg

4_zpsdy5lx34h.jpg

It has only been a year since the War ended and the entire realm is still trying to recover from the damage it caused. However, in Greywater Watch things has become livelier. A year ago when I returned home, my wife Jyanna presented to me my first daughter, Meera. Now she is a year older and has turned into a beautiful baby girl. A flower amongst reeds.

3_zps8yvq5tu7.jpg
In Winterfell, Lord Eddard Stark rules over the North as honorably and justly as he did when he lead the Northmen against the Targaryens, the Reach and Dorne. Not a man who wallows in the past, Lord Eddard lives on with his wife, Lady Catherine Tully, and his son, Robb Stark. To Lady Catherine’s dismay, Lord Eddard kept his bastard son, Jon Snow, in his household.

5_zpsbx0ko5lr.jpg
Back in Greywater Watch, my ambitious wife continuously suggest that Meera should be betrothed to a son of Lord Stark to change the way the other lords and ladies of the North looks at us. “The ladies Manderly and Ryswell looked at me with disdain when it was your turn to kneel,” she told me once after I was done swearing my oath of fealty to Lord Eddard after the War was done. “...I heard them laugh at us,” she sneered. As usual, as I believe that Meera is still far too young to be promised to anyone, I turned down her suggestion. Instead I focused my attention to the young wife of the Hill Clansman, Matthos Dea, named simply as Summer.

Matthos Dea came to my court shortly after I returned to Greywater Watch after swearing my oath in Winterfell stating that the Hill Clans has forsaken him for marrying a frogeater. He offered his service and his loyalty for a position in my court. I agreed to his proposal and gave him permission to bring his wife to court as well. Within a week Matthos came back to Greywater Watch together with his wife. Both of them are wearing cloaks with the sigil of House Dea, an armored arm equipped with a sword coiled by two snakes on a white field. Matthos presented his wife and gave thanks to the honor that I have given him and his family for accepting him to my household. I told Matthos that he can go ahead and check out his new quarters and asked to be allowed to speak to his wife alone. He gave his permission and and went on his way without any look of worry on his face. “Does your husband not worry that his young wife will be left alone with another man?” I asked as I motioned her to take a seat. Summer removed the cloak that has her husband’s sigil revealing the form fitting dress that she wears underneath and sat at the chair directly in front of me. Clearly Matthos wants to make his wife more presentable than any woman in my court including my wife.

Summer looked at me with her dark brown eyes and answered, “No.” The simple response made me ask her further. “My husband does not worry because he knows that you will not do anything to dishonor me.”

“He believes that I’m honorable?” I asked.

“No, but I dreamt that you won't dishonor me and my husband trusts my dreams.”

“You have green dreams.” She nodded in response to my claim. I was not entirely surprised by the revelation for I have heard of rumors of a maiden with stunning beauty traveling around the Neck with the company of birds. Some folk even claim that she can transform into an eagle to get away from people trying to take her hand for marriage or execute her. The Witch of the Swamps is what the small folk called her. With my curiosity getting the best of me, I asked how she ended up marrying a Hill Clansman.

When Eddard Stark called the banners the Hill Clans answered the call and marched down the Neck with the rest of the Northmen. During the course of the war many members of Matthos Dea’s clan perished leaving him as it’s sole member. On the trek back to the North through the causeway, Matthos took his bow and went hunting into the wilderness alone. After hours of searching for game, Matthos finally found an eagle perched high on a tree. He readied his bow and aimed at the bird when it suddenly flew away. Matthos chased the eagle and, in multiple occasions, almost hit it with an arrow. Not wanting to go back to his fellow Hill Clansman without game, Matthos muttered to himself, “No power can stop me,…” and released the arrow. The arrow failed to hit the eagle and it flew away. Moments later the eagle landed on a rock near him. It looked at him and then squawked. Matthos tried to catch it with his hands but he failed. He chased after the bird who keeps on jumping place to place until he reached a small river. The eagle squawked at him once more and then flew. It landed a few feet away from the shore. At first glance he thought that it was floating on water but after a closer inspection he found out that it was standing on what appears to be a person’s hand. Matthos rushed to the hand and tried to pull it out. At first he didn’t succeed, he was a never a warrior. The reason why he’s the only one left of his clan is because he stayed away from dangerous battles. The eagle squawked at him again as if to remind him that he needs to save the person sinking into the quicksand. Matthos nodded at the eagle and grabbed the hand once more. With all his strength he pulled. “No power can stop us!” he yelled as the person was lifted out of the muddy water. That is how they met. It was love at first sight, a few days later they said their vows under the watchful eyes of a weirwood tree hidden within the swamp. Eventually a Hill Clansman search party found Matthos and Summer. When they found out that Matthos married a frogeater, he was banished from the hills. All of his clan’s lands and titles stripped from him. And then they ended up here.

“I saw it all in a dream,” Summer added. “I knew what was going to happen when I slipped and fell into that quicksand.”

That was almost a year ago, now Summer stays by my side as my personal guard, her skills with the bow and arrow remains unmatched by any man in Greywater Watch, and she traded her form fitting dress for a hardened lizard-lion leather jerkin. Her right shoulder and right forearm has extra padding for the eagle that constantly keeps her company. On her chest a bronze brooch in the shape of a sword coiled by two serpents can be seen. Her husband proved to be not as useful as he seemed. Matthos Dea spends his day eating or simply by doing nothing of note. However, the connection between the two still remains strong and only got even stronger when Summer gave birth to twins. A boy and a girl. It is a shame that none of them got their mother’s looks. Instead they got their father’s auburn hair, blue eyes and Hill Clansman physique.

I dismissed my wife and after she left I turned to Summer to consult her about her dreams. As always, I ask her about things that will yet to come and whether or not it affects the Neck and my family. The green dreams aren’t always clear, however, and sometimes it could lead to a dangerous misinterpretation. “I have had dreams,” Summer answered. “I dreamt that snow will fall on the swamps turning the dark muddy landscape white and a lone flower stands ever more beautiful surrounded by ice. I dreamt of a wolf that wrestled a bear and lost leaving his cub to fish by himself. I dreamt of a white stag roaming around the Neck ever gracefully...” Summer paused for a moment and then looked me in the eye. “That is all.”
I spent the rest of the day pondering about the meaning of the dream but ended up with nothing of use. “It means that Meera will benefit in a marriage between her and Lord Stark’s bastard,” said my wife later that night as she lay naked beside me in our bed. “I believe you knew this already, husband. Snow covered swamps? A flower becoming more beautiful surrounded by ice? You said it yourself, our daughter is a flower amongst reeds and who else would be the snow mentioned in that girl’s dream? And don’t you dare suggest the Leech Lord’s bastard.” My wife is a firm believer and supporter of green dreams just as I do and I believe that she would not twist the meaning of the dream even if she wants to. In any case, my wife’s interpretation has some merit. Even if Jon Snow is bastard, he is still a son of Winterfell and joining my house with the Starks will give the Crannogmen more recognition and honor. I decided to ride up to Winterfell and ask Lord Stark myself. To let the Gods decide through Lord Stark’s lips whether or not the betrothal is the right action to take.
6_zps6a33tyut.jpg
I brought my wife, Jyanna, and my child, Meera, with me in my journey to the great castle of Winterfell. An impressive structure, many times bigger than Greywater Watch with two curtain walls. The outer wall being eighty feet tall and the inner wall being a hundred feet tall. Soldiers that are brave enough and tough enough to storm the outer walls of this castle will find themselves to still be under fire by the soldiers defending the inner walls. But the most impressive feature of this castle is the hot water that flows through the walls within the castle keeping it warm even during the harshest of winters. Some say that the waters are being kept hot by the breath of a sleeping dragon buried deep within the earth. I didn’t have time to enjoy the scenery, however. As soon as Lord Stark took us in, I went straight to business.

Eddard Stark changed throughout years though a person who hasn’t met him before the War would not notice the difference. Way back when I was first introduced to the Starks, in the Tourney of Harrenhal, one can see the joy in his eyes when he’s together with his siblings. The Wild Wolf, the Quiet Wolf, the She-wolf and the Little Cub all laughing and teasing each other. It has only been two years since his father and brother died on the orders of the Mad King. Just a year since the death of his sister, Lyanna. Now his eyes are cold like the namesake of the Valyrian steel sword of his family, Ice. Lord Stark sits beside the weirwood tree of Winterfell’s godswood carefully sliding a whetstone up and down the Valyrian steel sword when I met him. I was led here by Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort and Spymaster of Winterfell, when I ask to have his audience. Lord Bolton excused himself once he presented me to Lord Stark. We gave each other proper greetings before we started discussing the purpose of my visit. I told him of my intent to betrothed Meera with his bastard son, Jon Snow. Lord Stark was startled with what I said. “The children are still both babes, they are still too young to be promised to each other,” he argued. But, if the Gods truly do not want for this betrothal to happen then they will let Lord Stark deny my request to the bitter end. So in response, I reminded him of how I fulfilled my duties as his loyal bannerman, of how I helped him defeat the Sword of the Morning and of my knowledge of the boy’s mother.

The latter must have disturbed something in Eddard’s heart as he dropped the ancient greatsword to the ground when he tackled me. For a moment I saw the Wild Wolf in his eyes but in an instant it vanished, his eyes turned ice cold once more. He offered his hand to help me get up on my feet and then said, “Fine, I agree with your proposal. But, promise me and the Gods this,you will never mention the boy’s mother to anyone… until the day you die.”
7_zpsprjodg9t.jpg
On the ride back home my wife happily plays with her daughter satisfied with the results of my meeting with Lord Stark. But I can’t help but wonder if this is really what the Gods think is best for my family. Does joining my house with the wolf’s really the best course of action? Or did I just opened my doors for winter to come easily into my halls?

Last edited:
Chapter II: A Court of Lizards

23_zps5hl975nt.jpg

A few months have passed since the meeting with Lord Eddard in regards to the betrothal of his bastard boy to my daughter and heir, Meera. Ever since then the Seven Kingdoms have been relatively at peace. Though I’ve heard rumors that my liege has been busy imprisoning various petty lords over minor allegations. The higher lords of the North do not seem bothered by these actions and Lord Eddard remains loved by his subjects. Except for the ones that he has imprisoned, that is.

In Greywater Watch, I decided a change in my council has to happen. The members of my council has always been loyal and eager to serve but eagerness to serve does not always mean results. Thus I tasked my bannerman and castellan, Lord Bohemund Blackmyre of Greycrann, to find eligible and able wives for the three members of my council that are underperforming. I explained to Lord Bohemund that these women will do their husband’s jobs in my council so they better be chosen for their skills not their beauty or fertility. Lord Bohemund is a well-read man who has a habit of studying the stars. I have heard that in his youth he traveled to the Citadel in Oldtown to learn about the greater mysteries. He wanted to be a maester and, since his father is only five-and-thirty at the time, his grandfather, then Lord of Greycrann, gave him permission in the belief that his son is still young enough to produce another heir. But, only a short time after he arrived in the Citadel, Bohemund’s father died of illness so his grandfather had him sent back to be groomed for lordship. However this did not stop Lord Bohemund’s thirst for knowledge. No other man in my court is capable of accomplishing this task.

Days turned to weeks before Lord Bohemund returned to Greywater Watch. With him came three maids from the Stormlands and, even though I did not require him to, these women are young and fertile. Barely older than a common debutante. When Lord Bohemund presented the women to me I told him of my concern about their youth. “Don’t be worried m’lord, these ladies are all talented. In fact, they have all been once a member of their former lord’s council.” He reassured me. “This one here, Aglantine, is a fine lady with a gift with words and knowledge of law. This one, Mylenda, is good with numbers. Finally, Belandra, this one is good in uncovering secrets and spreading new ones.” Satisfied, I let the ladies go to meet their new husbands and tasked Lord Bohemund to inform the men that their new wives will now be replacing them in my council. Needless to say, the former councilmen now hates me especially my former justiciar and current husband of Mylenda, Domeric.

9_zpszulohooc.jpg

Time passed by slowly as people are now getting used to the peace and the long summer ahead. The new members of my council turned out to be as talented as Lord Bohemund promised. Mylenda has been successful in getting taxes and Belandra has been working diligently to inform me of anything that proves to be a danger. So far none of my courtiers have plotted against me or anyone. Aglantine is sent on a mission to fabricate a claim on the Fever. I bear no ill will against Lady Barbrey Ryswell but the Fever is part of the marshlands and inhabited by Crannogmen so I should be its ruler. At least that’s what my wife told me after she asked to be the regent of the Neck whilst I’m away. In any case, my attention has been focused on a new comer to my court, Alyssa.

10_zps2dhazizd.jpg

A girl of six-and-ten, Alyssa is a very shy individual and often alone minding herself. Only talking to servants when she needed something. She noticed me staring at her and then her faced turned red. I came up to her to apologize.

11_zpsj7khlo4i.jpg

It took a lot of courage on my part, and I believe on her’s as well, to be able to start a conversation with each other. At the age of twenty, I don’t see myself as being too old to be speaking with a girl of her age in this manner. Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned hours. Before we knew it, we have found a lot of things in common with each other and, with the help of wine, I retired in Alyssa’s chamber that night.

12_zpsxwn83bbr.jpg

I met my wife the next morning while breaking my fast, my head still throbbing from last night’s wine. My wife sat beside me with a miffed look on her face. “Where were you last night?” she asked.

“Away.” I answered before stuffing my mouth with some bread. Summer came up to me to deliver a message about the sighting of a white stag around the Neck.

15_zpsiqiso2kj.jpg

“So that’s how it’s gonna be,” my wife mumbled to herself. Throughout the rest of the week my wife remained in her room. She refused to talk to anyone until one night when we both lay on our bed, my mind still fixated from the night before. “I have not bled in weeks…,” she announced. “Howland, I’m pregnant.”

14_zps6leduxkr.jpg

18_zpsvqwtyjpy.jpg

With my heart filled with guilt, for my affair with Alyssa, and joy, for the chance of getting a male heir, I went out with a hunting party into the wilderness of Churwell to look for the white stag. Summer came along with me with her eagle companion and a hunting bow. I spent days, weeks or, possibly, months in the search for this stag. I scoured Churwell’s forests and marshes and did not find a single trace of the beasts tracks. Summer even sent her eagle to scout from the sky and yet nothing was found. In the end, I have to end the hunt. My hunting party was disappointed but they had some good fun. Throughout our hunt we encountered lizard-lions, boars and deer so we did not go home empty handed.

19_zpsuqouwpnk.jpg

When I returned to Greywater Watch I was greeted by Lord Bohemund who informed me that my wife has been in labor since the night before. After knowing this, I rushed to my wife’s lying-in chamber only to find the doors shut. Lord Bohemund caught up to me and tried calm me down to no avail. “Don’t worry, m’lord. She’s a stubborn woman. She went through this once and she’ll get through this again.” An hour or so more later and the doors opened and one of the midwives came out. She has a mixture of joy and anxiety filling her face.

“Lord Howland,” she said with a courtsy. “I am pleased to announce that the pregnancy was a success and your lady wife has given birth to a baby boy but…” She stutters and then cleared her throat before continuing. “But, the baby is sickly, m’lord.” The midwife lead me into the chamber to let me see my son. My wife lay on the bed unconscious as the other midwives cleans her up. A midwife showed me my son. His skin is pale and remains silent, unmoving. “I do not know if the child is going to make it, m’lord.” A midwife said.

16_zpstbhhyqam.jpg

17_zpsupey2xlq.jpg

I named the boy Torghen and, for the next few days, I stood in front of a weirwood tree begging the Gods to heal my boy. I prayed, made sacrifices and asked for forgiveness and, eventually, the Gods answered. A maester told me that Torghen has survived through the worst part of his sickness and would most likely grow up to adulthood. I thanked the Gods that day.

A month or two has passed since the birth of my son and all is well in Greywater Watch. My son, even though born sickly, is now turning out to be a healthy boy. My affair with Alyssa is still on going but my wife is too busy with our son to notice anything. Rumors of tension between the Starks and the Wulls have been spreading across the North. Apparently Lord Eddard has been planning on arresting Lord Hugo Wull, known as the Big Bucket and Lord of Crow’s Edge, over a minor allegation. However, rumors are rumors and Crow’s Edge is too far up north to warrant my immediate concern. That pleasure goes to my former justiciar, Domeric.

My spymaster, Belandra, has informed me that Domeric has been conspiring to kill her. With the insurmountable evidence Belandra has gathered, I had no other choice than to arrest the poor man. It seems that after being resigned from council in favor of his wife, Domeric fell on hard times. The fact that he has been reduced to a man dependent to a woman made his status among the other men at court falter. His desire to improve his status led him to plot the death of Belandra in order for him to take her place as my spymaster. Not gonna lie, Domeric has always been a loyal servant and, with that in mind, I gave him a chance for a free trial.

20_zpsihyraptu.jpg

Domeric was my former justiciar and so he made a compelling argument that tugged on the hearts of the men and women of my court. Arguing about how unjustly it is of me to strip him of his position after all the years of service he had provided to House Reed and accusing Belandra of bewitching me into favoring Southrons over Crannogmen. “The Southron lies, m’lord,” he said finally. “Have I not been one of your most loyal servants?”

21_zpsh5e4o2dt.jpg

Lord Bohemund, being a learned man, countered all of Domeric’s defences with relative ease. He presented letters written with Domeric’s own hand with plans that involve sacks of manure, a snake and hired highwaymen. He called out his witnesses which includes Domeric’s wife, Mylenda, to testify against him. In the end, Domeric was found guilty and a liar and sentenced to live the rest of his life in the Wall.

The blood of the First men flows in our veins as much as the other Northmen and we hold to the belief that a man who passes the judgement should swing the sword. This case is no different. I gave the man that sentence so I should be the one to escort him to the Wall. I bid farewell to my wife and son and allowed Domeric to do the same. Once our party is ready, we rode north.

22_zps7qe36jjf.jpg

Chapter III: The Imperious Wolf

24_zpsvlb3wvfl.jpg

Over three thousand men marched from the Wolfswood to lift the siege of King’s Grove from the men of Lord Hugo Wull, also known as the Big Bucket for his extremely large belly. According to Summer’s report, the Big Bucket’s army only comprised of eight hundred men and most of them are lightly armored. Lord Galbart Glover, the Lord of Deepwood Motte, has raised a considerable host of fully equipped men-at-arms and free riders. He himself has given me a suit of steel plated armor, a fine destrier and a lance fit for a knight to better lead at the vanguard. He even had one of his artisans paint a black lizard-lion over a green field, the sigil of House Reed, over a kite shield. “Now you look like a commander!” Lord Galbart jested. Though I am no stranger to mounted combat, I personally prefer fighting with my bow or frogspear in lighter armor. My personal tastes would not serve me well in my current situation, however. Lord Eddard ordered me to lead the Glover host against the besieging hillsmen and, unlike the crannogmen, the Glovers fight their enemy head on.

The battle of King’s Grove was over quick, outnumbered three-to-one, the army of Lord Wull routed almost immediately. There really isn’t much to say, only that our side suffered only few casualties while the enemy lost half their numbers. The remainder of the army ran back to Crow’s Edge only to find the Stark host and the Umber host waiting for them. With his men defeated and his keep under siege, the Big Bucket had no choice but to surrender. Due to his treason, Lord Hugo was sent to the Wall.

25_zps66ul7rok.jpg

I was given a single boon by Lord Eddard for my heroic deeds during the battle of King’s Grove and I was summoned to Winterfell to attend a feast in honor of the birth of Lady Cetelyn’s twins, a boy and a girl named Rickard and Margaret. Unlike their brother Robb, these babes has the look of a Stark. When the feast died down and the other guests went back to their chambers, I approached Lord Eddard for the boon he had promised me. “Lord Eddard, if I may speak to you?” I said courtly.

“Of course you may, honored friend.” Lord Eddard gestured to a chair beside his. “This must be about the boon that I promised you.”

“Aye,” I replied. “In light of what transpired in King’s Grove and Crow’s Edge, I want to ensure to you the continuing support of my house to the Starks of Winterfell. With that in mind and since you now have a daughter from Lady Catelyn, I propose a betrothal between my son and your daughter.”

26_zps4xbal14v.jpg

“Hmmm…” Lord Eddard pondered. “Is Jon Snow not enough of a Stark for you?”

“No,m’lord, the boy is as much a Stark as any of your children. I thinking of the future when you and I are both gone. The next generation must be united and Robb Stark will always be able to count on the Neck if the Reeds are his kin by marriage.”

Lord Eddard lets out a sigh.

28_zpsfnim6lub.jpg

Months went by and the realm profits from peace, the war seems like a thousand years ago. I spent my days in Greywater Watch hunting for the mysterious white stag. From a cottage, an old crone sold me a supposedly powerful potion but when I drank it nothing happened.

Just like last time, I have to give up looking for the white stag and return to my court. My spymaster greeted me with the news of my wife’s plot to kill my lover, Alyssa. I confronted my wife about her plot and commanded her to end it. She did as I told but when I asked her what she knows she feigned ignorance.
29_zpscxptsqju.jpg
A few months later, my wife came to me in my office. “Oh, Lord Husband, I must tell you. Your wife is pregnant.”
30_zpsnwaajbze.jpg

Does my wife know about my affair? I asked myself multiple times during the course of my wife’s pregnancy. She didn’t seem to know yet she plotted to kill her. And she seems to keep a straight face at court and when we’re alone. As if nothing is happening when I spend the night elsewhere.

My worries were lifted in the day my little Maege was born and joy filled the halls of Greywater Watch the day she was presented at court.
31_zps9dy65izo.jpg

Elsewhere in the North, Lord Edwyle Knott of Arrendel, known simply as the Knott, raised his banners against his liege. Lord Eddard called for the banners of all of the Northern lords in response. I sent a few thousand crannogmen to Winterfell but I didn’t join in their march north. The war, if it can be called that, would be over before my men could even reach Castle Cerwyn. Talks of Lord Eddard’s absurd view of the law and his tendency to imprison lords, big or small, made the small folk dub him as “the Imperious.”

Years would go by in deafening silence. I went on another hunt for the white stag, this time in Greycrann, but once again failed to see results. However, during that experience I realized that I like what I have and want nothing more. “I have no need for more land,” I told my justiciar when she reported her success in giving me a claim on Fever. Besides, Lady Barbrey is allied with the Rills and the Dreadfort. I can’t win a fight between three great Northern houses.

When Torghen celebrated his fifth name, tension between the Northern lords and Winterfell was at an all time high. Lord Brun Umber of Last Hearth, especially. Apparently, Lord Eddard’s way of arresting whoever have a slightest touch of dishonor in them is not pleasing anyone. Lord Jeor Mormont of Bear Island is the last lord he has arrested before Lord Brun called his people to war against the Imperious Wolf...

33_zpsb38qbcsl.jpg

I was not there when it happened but the songs that I’ve heard still astonish me. The singers say that the Old Bear was brought to trial for his crimes against the North with the Leech Lord as the persecutor. The Old Bear defended as much as he could but his wit could not match the Leech Lord’s. Stacks of evidence was presented against him but, before the Imperious Wolf can pass his judgment, the Old Bear called for a trial by combat. Bound by his honor, the Imperious Wolf chose no one but himself to fight the Old Bear. “The man who passes the judgement should swing the sword,” he told them.

In Winterfell’s courtyard, the Old Bear and the Imperious Wolf stood on opposite ends of the space set aside for the trial both clad in chainmail over leather. The Old Bear is armed with his ancestral a-hand-and-a-half bastard Valyrian-steel sword, Longclaw, and an iron round shield adorned with the bear of his house. While the Imperious Wolf stands ready with his giant Valyrian-steel greatsword, Ice, gripped firmly in his hands. The entire court of Winterfell gathered to watch the two legendary warriors fight to the death with swords as ancient as their names. Among those watching is the Imperious Wolf’s wife, Lady Catelyn, and his son and heir, Robb. When the time is right, the horn blew and the duel started. The Imperious Wolf swung at his enemy only to be parried by Longclaw. The Old Bear may be old but he still has his speed. Numerous times during the fight, the Old Bear dodge or parried his foe’s strikes. Is this truly the man who defeated the Sword of the Morning? The crowd asked. However, one strike almost took out the Old Bear’s arm if not for his shield. Which is rendered useless afterwards but gave the Old Bear a chance. The Old Bear’s fist landed on the Wolf’s face making him stagger then Longclaw pierced through his heart. Lady Catelyn screamed in terror while her son stood wide-eyed and motionless.

34_zpsl7nwxyg5.jpg

Reactions:
This is why the AI should never be in charge of anything more advanced than a latrine.

Reactions:
Hooray! For those who might not know, House Dea was my prize for 3rd in an AAR contest. Nice to see them in an AAR themselves, and you even included their house words, No Power Can Stop Us. I'll admit to sometimes stripping a hill clansman of his lands just to give Mathos some lands. :D

My Backstory: They met during the war of the Usurper. Summer was pretending to be a squire serving in house Reed's levies. She used to live alone in the swamps with her eagle Roac, but had a dream that her destiny would be found in the war. Mathos fought under Hugo the Big Bucket, but he's a rather incompetent warrior. Summer saved his life, but Matthos wasn't fooled by her disguise. He spent the rest of the war helping the maesters treat the wounded, which after the Trident included Summer, and one thing led to another.

Your version was better :D

This is why the AI should never be in charge of anything more advanced than a latrine.
Every time I play as a minor lord, I always see lord paramounts and kings imprison or revoke their vassals (especially the single county ones). I don't know if it's a bug or intentional. It usually ends with someone being sent to the Wall.

Hooray! For those who might not know, House Dea was my prize for 3rd in an AAR contest. Nice to see them in an AAR themselves, and you even included their house words, No Power Can Stop Us. I'll admit to sometimes stripping a hill clansman of his lands just to give Matthos some lands. :D

My Backstory: They met during the war of the Usurper. Summer was pretending to be a squire serving in house Reed's levies. She used to live alone in the swamps with her eagle Roac, but had a dream that her destiny would be found in the war. Mathos fought under Hugo the Big Bucket, but he's a rather incompetent warrior. Summer saved his life, but Matthos wasn't fooled by her disguise. He spent the rest of the war helping the maesters treat the wounded, which after the Trident included Summer, and one thing led to another.

Your version was better :D

Wow, I didn't know that the eagle had a name. I found Matthos Dea and his lovely wife in my court at the start of my game and wondered why he has his own sigil. Summer intrigued me greatly because of her green dreams and eagle follower. I looked them up online and found your post in the AAR contest winners thread. I decided to incorporate the info you provided in that thread into Summer's back story. Matthos Dea is rather disappointing (his traits are 8/1/0/0/2) and so as his children but I'll continue to use Summer as a supporting character.
In my playthrough, Matthos became slothful and gluttonous so I just wrote him as a pathetic yet kindhearted man (he reminds me of Mace Tyrell). Summer got the shy and content trait so I figured she would never leave the Neck for any reason. She became called as the Witch of the Swamp because of her solitary lifestyle and mysterious beauty. In regards to House Dea's words, "No Power Can Stop Us," I attributed that to House Dea's foolhardy nature which lead them to fight mostly in the front lines and caused their entire family to be reduced to only Matthos Dea and his children.

Thanks for reading my posts, update might be coming up soon (as of now, only one paragraph is written).

Last edited:
Chapter IV: A Lonely King

35_zpsurp8dlvz.jpg

Robb of House Stark, a boy of ten, was named as the Lord Paramount of the North and it’s Warden shortly after his father’s death. Due to his young age, Lord Roose Bolton of the Dreadfort rules in his stead as the regent of the North. Lord Jeor Mormont was released from his imprisonment but remained in Winterfell when offered the position of Chief General by Lord Roose. Lady Catelyn protested but the regent ignored her protests and sent her to Last Hearth to wed the second son of Lord Jon Umber, commonly known as Greatjon, named Heward. “Your father sent Lord Greatjon Umber’s father to the Wall for his treason but the man is too dim to realize how just your father’s judgement is. Therefore, the Starks and the Umbers must forge new bonds. Your sister is too young and promised to a Reed. Only Lady Stark is capable in forging this bond.” Lord Roose said to the young lord according to my spymaster.

It was the day of Eddard Stark’s funeral, all of the lords of the North came to Winterfell to pay homage to his widow and to swore a new oath of fealty to the new lord of Winterfell. For the third time in my life I saw myself in Winterfell’s greathall with my knee bent saying the oath of my house once more. “To Winterfell I pledge the faith of Greywater. Hearth and harvest and I yield up to you, my lord. My swords and spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to my weak, help to my helpless, and justice to all, and I shall never fail you. I swear it by earth and water. I swear it by bronze and iron. I swear it by ice and fire."

I brought my family with me to Winterfell so my son and daughter could meet their betrotheds for the first time. My daughter, Meera, was accompanied by her guardian and my justiciar, the stormlander lady named Aglantine. With her advice, my wife bought our daughter the finest dress she could find in White Harbor. “She needs to look presentable to her future husband. Better she make him fall for her now than later,” she said. Aglantine reports that Meera, at the age of ten, has shown great promise in courtly affairs. Indeed, I have seen how Meera act in court. She knows when to smile, when to laugh and when to cry. But all of it is just a display. Through Aglantine, she learned how to manipulate the hearts of men and women to get what she wants. I once saw her get caught playing a prank on her little brother by her mother. My wife scolded Meera but, before she can punish her, the girl wept and asked for forgiveness. And forgiveness she got, for she knows that her mother cannot burden to see her cry. However, as soon as my wife leaves, she continued to play pranks on her brother.

“Lizard-lion tears,” my lover, Alyssa, said one night. “Your daughter would be quite a lady when she grows up. Laughs, words and her pretty face are her weapons and she wields it as good as you wield your sword. Imagine what she would be like if you thought her how to hunt instead of how to dance.”

My son Torghen, who recently celebrated his sixth nameday, is wearing the set of armor that I bought him. It is nothing fancy, just a bronze chainmail over a sleeveless leather jerkin. While his mother and sisters traveled inside a caravan, Torghen rode his pony right beside me on the way to Winterfell. I decided to take it upon myself to teach my son how to be the lord of Greywater Watch and protector of the Neck. Despite Lord Robb’s, or should I say Lord Roose’s, suggestion of letting my son be fostered by Lord Jeor. A good boy, Torghen learned how to be temperate. Taking only what he needs and when he needs it. He is always a delight to be with and a very curious boy. Always with the questions. Why are lizard-lions sleeping on water? Are lizard-lions made from trees? When can I hunt lizard-lions? I took him wherever I go whether it be hunting or at court. Now he’s meeting his liege lord, a boy only four years his senior, and his betrothed for the first time.

It was at the great hall that my children met their betrotheds after the lords have sworn their oath to House Stark. Jon Snow is accompanied by his uncle, Benjen Stark, who seemed to have grown fond of the boy, and Margaret Stark is accompanied by her mother, Catelyn Tully, who refuses to acknowledge boy’s presence. I presented my children to their betrotheds. Meera did her best curtsy coupled with a smile that seemed to melt the hearts of everyone who bore witness. Even the recently widowed Catelyn seemed to be delighted with her presence. Jon Snow simply turned away to an empty corner attempting to hide his flushed face. My daughter offered her hand partnered with a sly laughter as if to tease the boy. Benjen Stark gave Jon a push and said with a chuckle, “Come on lad, your lady awaits you.” Jon’s face grew hotter when he took Meera’s hand and walked away. Aglantine and Benjen follows from behind.

Margaret Stark was a different matter. A girl of five, Margaret was present in the trial by combat between the Old Bear and her father. This made the girl wary of strangers and even warier of the ones who carries swords. “M’lady,” Torghen said with a bow. He offered his hand, mimicking his sister. But the action only spooked the girl. Torghen looked at me puzzled, “Did I do it wrong?” I shook my head in response.

Lady Catelyn moved forward and placed her hand on the girl’s head. “Pardon my girl, Lord Reed, as you can see, recent events still hasn’t passed over us and, with me leaving for Last Hearth, I can only pray that my children be well.” Lady Catelyn held her daughter’s hand. “Margaret, let’s get to know your future lord husband, shall we?” My wife held my son’s hand in turn and walked away with Margaret and Lady Catelyn.

I was summoned to the godswood by Lord Robb. There I found him sitting by the weirwood tree in front of a pond accompanied by Lord Roose. “You’ve received an invitation as well, didn’t you?” The young lord asked. “King Robert is holding a grand tourney in King’s Landing in honor of my father.” His face turning melancholy.
36_zpse5oyecoc.jpg
“Indeed, I did, my lord.” I interjected. King Robert has been known as “the Decadent” for his lifestyle and ruthless spending. I highly doubt this tourney is really for Eddard’s honor. More like another excuse to have a tourney. “I have already decided to decline the invitation.”

“Nonsense!” Lord Robb shrieked as he changed from melancholy to excited. “You shall accompany me to King’s Landing and participate in the jousts as my champion.”

“Jousts?” I muttered. I haven’t been in a tourney since Harrenhal and the Mystery Knight back when I was still a boy, I told them.

Lord Robb shook his head. “You are my father’s champion and I want you to be my champion as well. He told me many stories about you. You helped him kill Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, the most chivalrous knight in the Seven Kingdoms. Maybe if you were here you could’ve helped him kill the Ol…” His face turns melancholy once more.

“In any case, I’m not trained to participate in tourneys, m’lord.” I reasoned.

“Your lord paramount commands you to accompany him to King’s Landing,” Lord Roose said sternly. “You do know what happens to lords who defies their liege?” Of course, everyone in the North knows. They get sent to the Wall.
It took three weeks of riding but we finally reached King’s Landing. Landed knights and hedge knights alike flocked to the city gates to sign up for the tourney. Colorful banners of noble houses great or small decorated the capital city. My son watched in awe as the Kingsguard escorted the king to greet Lord Robb into the tourney grounds and where we can set up camp. Barristan Selmy, also known as the Bold and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, slowed down his destrier to keep pace with me. “Greetings Lord Reed,” he said after lifting his visor. “Last time I saw you, you were on the opposite side of the Battle of the Trident.” He japed then nodded at my son. “A fine boy you have there, I bet he’ll be a great knight someday.” He brought his attention back at me. “By the way, I heard you're participating in the joust.” Then a nod of approval. “Best of luck for the both us in the tourney, Lord Reed.”

After setting up camp, I readied my suit of armor. I brought with me the suit of steel plate over chainmail that Lord Galbart Glover generously gave me after the battle of King’s Grove. For this occasion, I had a green tabard with a snarling black lizard-lion head made to better represent my house. I brought the same steel shield that Lord Galbart gave me. “M’lord, may I come in?” Asked Summer, I had her keep an eye on my son.

“Of course you may,” I gestured for her to take a seat. “How’s my son?”

“Your son’s doing well, m’lord.” She said as she looked for a good place to sit. “He has been spending a lot of time with my daughter, Barba, lately.” The thought made her smile. “Just now your son was pretending to be a knight protecting my daughter, who is pretending to be a princess in distress. Of course, he made the sons of Luwelyn Cray, Offa and Mors, the son of Osric Frog, Farlen, and the son of Farlen Quagg, Heward, be the bad men that he has to defeat.” We both shared a laughter at the thought of little boys playing with wooden sticks. But, Summer’s laughter dwindled and her smile faded away. “I had another dream.”

A monster will arrive and the marshes will turn red. Hungry men die skewered in its teeth. The dream of Summer echoes through my head over and over as the first day of the tourney started. I unhorsed nameless hedge knights and other minor lords as I went through the lists with relative ease. My son cheered and so as the other people that I brought from my court. Lord Robb appears to startle everytime steel meets steel. Lord Roose sits beside him. As I gathered more victories, the people began to chant my name and even King Robert started making bets in favor of me. Until my next opponent was announced. “Lord Howland Reed of Greywater Watch!” I got into position after the announcer called out my name. “Against!” He paused to take a deep breath. “Ser Barristan the Bold of the Kingsguard!” I tried my best but, after multiple broken lances, Ser Barristan unhorsed me. Which eliminated me from the tourney in the first day.

37_zpswcos84vh.jpg

The tourney went on and, at the end, Ser Andar Royce successfully unhorsed his last opponent and won the Tourney of King’s Landing. He crowned his own wife, Lady Celina Belmore, as the Queen of Love and Beauty. The crowd cheered as Ser Andar collected his prize money and rode off with his wife in tow. “Had I unhorsed Rhaegar in the Tourney of Harrenhal, a Targaryan would still sit on the Iron Throne and the war would’ve never happened.” Ser Barristan Selmy told me at the feast after the tourney. “Rhaegar should’ve crowned his own wife.”

38_zpsnfa9effs.jpg

I spied King Robert flirting with Summer during the feast so I greeted the king to release her from such burdens. “Such a beautiful bodyguard you got there, Lord Howland. I got to get me one of those.” He said with a laugh. “You. I expected no less from Ned’s champion. You did a good show out there. A shame you lost at the first day but, you did face Barristan the Bold.” He gulped down a whole tankard of beer. “You should attend more tourneys, I’m tired of seeing these green knights prance around in their colorful armor without a single knowledge of war or honor.” The king looked at me with the teary eyes on his red face. “I am truly alone now, you know? My wife and brothers are strangers to me. My best friend died just a few months ago, Jon Arryn died five years before and my beloved … You were there, weren’t you?” I nodded. “Ned told me the story multiple times already. But I still wake up each morning thinking it was all a dream.” The king smiled and raised his tankard. “To the friends that we lost!”

39_zpsictqo1qs.jpg

Yeah, Matthos' stats came out kind of crap. As for the eagle I doubt I ever named him out of my feverish imagination.

Howland Reed has had mostly bad experiences at tourneys. Although being beaten by Barristan Selmy is something of an accomplishment in its own right.

Chapter V: The Son of Howland

40_zpsownqndcw.jpg

A mere three months after my father, Howland, entered the Tourney of King’s Landing, a peasant named Ondrew convinced the people in the villages surrounding Moat Cailin to rise up in revolt against the king. The reason behind the rebellion is unknown to me, however. But, whatever it is, it must have been real bad to make over four thousand people pick up their spears and point it at the king and, worse, at my father. The news of the revolt only reached us when we were heading back home from the tourney. Lord Roose, he’s scary, commanded my father to take the fastest horse and ride as fast as he can back to the Neck and raise some levies to halt Ondrew and his people from crossing to the Riverlands. My father told Summer, and the others that joined us from Greywater Watch, to keep up with him. Meanwhile, Lord Roose and Lord Robb, he’s a coward, took the people that went with them and hired a boat to take them to White Harbor.

My father manage to gather over two thousand men and boys to fight for him but, since this is so sudden, the soldiers does not have armor like the ones the Goldcloaks wear in King’s Landing or the weapons. Instead, they are garbed in leather with some having bronze chainmail or plate and armed with frogspears, dirks, and arrows. I was beside my father during the war council but I didn’t understand anything that’s being said by either my father or Master Garris, the master-at-arms of Greywater Watch. Both of them simply argued and jab their fingers on the map. Later on, they must’ve decided on what to do because my father ordered everyone to march up north to Silvereed.

In Silvereed, I met this kind old lady named Lady Sheryl of House Fenn, Lady of Silvereed. Her keep, Fendun, has a banner that displays the arms of their house, three water lilies on pale violet, beneath the black lizard-lion on grey-green of my house. I like this lady, she’s nice, but I was soon reminded that we did not come to Silvereed for a visit. Summer’s pet eagle, Roac, came flying into the keep startling everyone. “They’re almost here!” Summer suddenly exclaimed. I have been watching her sitting in a corner with her eyes turned white for a long time before all this happened. I wonder what she was doing?

A horn blew and the people my father gathered started to move. My father leading in the front and following him are the boys, who are probably only eight or nine namedays ahead of me, armed with frogspears. Summer stands beside me on the highest battlement in Fendun to keep an eye on me. My father told me that I can’t join him after I begged him to let me march with him. I hunted with him before, it shouldn’t be much different right? Another horn was blown and a large mass of people emerged from the forest up ahead. I can see my father waving his frogspear when the opposing army charged. The sight made my body harden and, without me realising, my hands grabbed hold onto Summer’s hands. “Don’t worry, little lord, the gods will not let your father die today.” She whispered.

A horn was blown again but this time it came from my father. He and his army broke off from the fighting and ran towards the forest. The opposing army rushed to destroy their fleeing enemies but, before they can come close, arrows began raining down on them. “Those men are the ones the joined your father in Robert’s Rebellion. They are skilled veterans.” Now the enemies are in a horrible position. Arrows flying in all corners while the main strength of my father’s army remain within the forest in a very comfortable position.

41_zps5t1bo9an.jpg

However, it doesn’t change the fact that my father was outnumbered. As the battle went on, I saw our enemy’s numbers dwindle to half of what it used to be but the same can be said to ours. If the battle goes on as it does now, even I know that our side will be the ones losing. Thankfully, a much larger army came from behind our enemies and carved a path through them before they even realise. Even from afar I can recognise the banners of the newly arrived army, a red flayed man on pink, it’s scary Lord Roose.

42_zpsqu8l3mtk.jpg

With their arrival, the battle was won and the ones that yielded was taken by scary Lord Roose to Moat Cailin for judgement. My father had the bodies of the dead, enemies or not, retrieved and given proper burial. Afterwards, my father and I, along with Summer, rode to Moat Cailin to make an appeal to Lord Roose to be merciful. “Even though they rose up in arms against our king, these people are crannogmen and, as protectors of the Neck, it is our duty to keep them safe.” He told me. But when we arrived at Moat Cailin we saw hundreds of dead bodies on stakes surrounding the perimeter of the old castle. Blood drips from the flayed bodies giving the mud a shade of red.

Inside a room in the Children’s Tower, Lord Roose and my father talked with each other. My father was angry, very angry, and was telling Lord Roose to explain his actions. “It’s to remind them not to pick up arms against their king,” he simply said. “This way, the crannogmen will remember that our blades are sharp.” Later on, I found out that Lord Robb granted the command of Moat Cailin to Lord Roose.

On the way back, my father told me that the man responsible for the revolt, Ondrew, escaped capture and could be on his way to the Free Cities. I was not paying attention on the other things he was saying, however. I’m still focused on the dead bodies buried in Silvereed and the ones on the stakes in Moat Cailin. Boys just a few namedays ahead of me dead. In order to ease my mind, I asked my father.

43_zps6ydbkxi6.jpg

“Everyone dies sooner or later,” he replied. That doesn’t help. It doesn’t answer anything! Why are the gods so keen on letting people die? Aren’t they supposed to protect us?

A few months later, I heard news of a triple alliance between the Rills, the Barrowlands and the Dreadfort that fought a minor lordling in the Lonely Hills, Lord Ludd of House Whitehill. Apparently Lord Ludd plotted against his overlord and, in turn, Lord Roose tries to imprison him. But instead of coming to the Dreadfort willingly, Lord Ludd barred his gates. Lord Roose then called his banners and his allies. The three great houses of the North banded together to destroy one measly minor house. It is said that Lord Ludd sent ravens to Winterfell pleading Lord Robb the coward, or so I call him, to intervene. “Lord Bolton is regent and he holds the boy, those ravens are useless,” my father said over dinner once. After a few weeks, news came from the Lonely Hills. House Whitehill has been stripped of their lands and titles and lordship over the Lonely Hills and Highpoint has been given to a nobody. It was around this time when my father sent me out to courtyard. He told me to pick up one of the wooden swords and attack him and I did. I swung my sword as taught by Master Gariss, the master-at-arms in Greywater Watch, but my father simply evaded every attack. Then he hit in the face with his wooden sword. It hurts, it hurts real bad.

“Again!” He shouted. I swung my sword once again and once again he evaded all of my attacks. Suddenly I felt a jolt of pain rise up from my shin and, before I knew it, my chest slammed unto the ground. I felt tears flow down my cheeks.

“Stand!” He shouted. “Stand up or you’ll be dead just like those boys in Moat Cailin!” The faces of the dead flashed inside my head their flayed skin impaled on a stake. No. No, not me. I won’t die like that. I will not die like that. I will fight!

44_zpsweivmg0o.jpg

A year later and my father brought me out to the courtyard to spar with him once more. This time is different, however. The whole court went out to watch but, I’m not worried. I’ve been practicing since last year and I’m sure I won’t look as bad. I swung my wooden sword but instead of evading he parried my blows. I guess I’m getting better already. The fight lasted for hours and my father hit me more than a few times but I didn’t cry like before. I took it like a man would. My movement is also better but I still can’t properly land a hit on my father. The girls who watched the fight started paying attention to me. I think I like it.

45_zpsulavavzg.jpg

The next year, news of Lord Jeor Mormont’s death reached us. He apparently died in his sleep to the relief of the cowardly Lord Robb and his cowardly siblings. Their father’s killer dead at last. Of course, with the Old Bear’s death, Lord Robb needs a new man to command and train his armies and, of course, my father is the only one capable.

46_zpsj78v8bnw.jpg

47_zpshvxepw34.jpg

Within a fortnight, we rode to Winterfell. My father took me with him in order to continue my training and to get along with the Starks, especially Margaret, my future wife. Over there, we heard of news that fat King Robert convinced the other lords to reinstate the First Night. I could see Lord Roose grinning upon hearing the news while my father just shook his head. Later on, my father allowed me to spar with a boy my age with blunted tourney blades. The fight ended quickly when the boy started wheezing after few minutes of swinging his sword. I kept on hitting him, though. Even as he lay on the ground shouting “Yield! Yield! Yield!”

48_zpscblgouuf.jpg

My time in Winterfell was interrupted when Jon Snow celebrated his fourteenth nameday. He is now old enough to marry into our family my father says. He had told Lord Robb of the agreement between his father, Eddard Stark, and him. Lord Robb honored the agreement and sent Jon down the Neck to wed my sister, Meera. My father decided to make it a huge celebration and invited everyone to a feast. On the ride down all I can think of is how annoying Jon is. Will my sister like this guy? All he can to talk about is the Night’s Watch. You’d think he’d join the order by now.

49_zps9fjlxcjn.jpg

When Jon fell asleep, and probably dreaming of life at the Wall, my father and I spent the rest of the night just talking to each other. I asked him many questions and he would try to answer them all. I really love my father and I wish this would continue on forever.

50_zps0t93txdh.jpg

Last edited:
You'd think even a Whitehill would be smarter than that.
House Whitehill now rules Castle Cerwyn after a dreaded plague hit the North and House Cerwyn got wiped out except for a single daughter. They inherited it through the female line since the last Lord Cerwyn failed to get a son. So, the Whitehills still exists and they probably still hate the Foresters.

I need to correct that bit about Domeric Bolton getting the Lonely Hills. Domeric Bolton got the Sheapshead Hills and some nobody got the Lonely Hills after the Whitehills.

House Whitehill now rules Castle Cerwyn after a dreaded plague hit the North and House Cerwyn got wiped out except for a single daughter. They inherited it through the female line since the last Lord Cerwyn failed to get a son. So, the Whitehills still exists and they probably still hate the Foresters.

I need to correct that bit about Domeric Bolton getting the Lonely Hills. Domeric Bolton got the Sheapshead Hills and some nobody got the Lonely Hills after the Whitehills.

That last paragraph amuses me, because of the vast number of hills contained in two sentences.

Chapter VI: A Song of Ice and Mud

51_zpst0pfkgty.jpg

“All he talks about is the Night’s Watch,” my brother, Torghen, complained to me once they have returned to Winterfell with my betrothed. “He’s like, ‘I heard a wildling rose up to be the Lord Commander,’ and I’m just sitting there enduring all this. So what if a wildling became in charge of a frosty wall? It’s all the way up there and we’re all the way down here.”

“You sure know how to sell the man I’m going to marry,” I replied. “And don’t make fun of the Night’s Watch. Meliana’s father,Domeric, and Heward Quagg joined the Watch, remember?”

“Man? He’s only three namedays ahead of me and I’m better than him with a sword!” He scoffed. “All of the Starks are cravens even Lord Robb. The guy is as good with a sword as I am but I can still see him tremble inside his armor. I can’t believe father lowers his head for such a boy.” Torghen paused and looked at me quizzically. “Why aren’t you with Jon? Shouldn’t you be talking to him instead of me?”

“Ah… No, mother told me that I shouldn’t meet with my betrothed before the day of the wedding.” I hesitated for a moment. “She told me to enjoy my time with my friends.”

“But you don’t have any friends,” he mocked. I could almost hear him laughing hysterically inside his head.

I sighed. “Yes, I don’t have any friends.”

“Come on, don’t say that! I’m your friend.” Said Barba Dea, a girl the same age as me and the daughter of my father’s most loyal bodyguard, Summer. We grew up together as playmates along with her brother, Mycah.

“I didn’t see you there, Barba.” Accompanied with a smile that Aglantine, my mentor, taught me. It always makes everyone around me smile back. “Are you here for something?”

“Oh, yes, m’lady,” she said with an exaggerated courtsy. “Your mother awaits you with gowns straight out of White Harbor. She told me to call you.”

“Gowns? Blech!” My brother exclaimed. “Mother didn’t call for me as well, right?”

“No, but I think your father needs you for something. Oh, I think your father’s bannermen already arrived.” Barba answered.

“Another blech! He wants me to greet them, doesn’t he?” Torghen never did have any skills in diplomacy. “Fine, I’ll head there now.” My brother slouched and walked away.

“Isn’t it great?” Barba said, interrupting the silence as we walk across the hall to my mother’s room. “You’re going to marry a Stark.”

“A Stark bastard,” I corrected her. “Torghen’s the one who’s going to marry a Stark, not me. He’ll also get Greywater Watch even though I’m older and smarter.”

52_zpslwj24ryp.jpg

“Nonetheless, he still have Stark blood and the last Stark to marry a woman from the Neck is the King of Winter who slew the last Marsh King.” She’s getting too excited about the comparison, it seems. “Unlike me, you’re beautiful and smart and … a Reed. My father says, ‘No power can stop us,’ the words of House Dea. But the reason why no one can stop us is because there’s no reason to, we never move. I’m probably just going to end up as some old man’s wife.” Her eyes started to swell up with tears.

I pulled her close to me and rested her head on top of my chest while I wrapped my arms around her. “Come now, don’t be sad,” soothing words to soothe her mind. “What ever will be, will be.” I then lifted her head to face mine. “I’ll always be your friend and I’ll always be with you.” I gave her a kiss on her forehead.

She pulled back immediately afterwards. Her face flushed and her movements became awkward. “No, sorry, this isn’t right. I… I have to be excused. Pardon me, sorry. Goodbye.” Then she walked away rather fast. Such an odd girl, we’ve played kissing games together with Meliana before. She was never embarrassed back then why was she embarrassed now. Besides, it was only on the forehead.

A little later, I finally reached my mother’s room and inside I found her and Aglantine looking at gowns laid on the bed. “Oh, here you are!” my mother cheered. “Come quick! Try out these gowns!”

The dresses are all bought from White Harbor and made from the finest silk. Mother says it’s to show off how rich House Reed has become since the war against the Mad King, fourteen years ago. We are probably one of the richest house in the North. “We need a gown that shows off your slender body and hide the fact that your breasts are barely there.” Aglantine commented.

“The boy is only fourteen, I doubt he’ll pay that much attention to detail.” My mother argues.

“The boy is fourteen, that’s all he’ll pay attention to,” Aglantine jests. “In any case, the gown must be both fierce and beautiful like a lizard-lion.” But lizard-lions aren’t beautiful, their big, scaly and look like logs floating in the river, I thought to myself.

I tried on multiple gowns but it seems like nothing fits the description that Aglantine suggested. Until I tried the very last one. It has a close-fitting grey-green bodice with a neckline edged with plush black velvet. Its flowing skirt is adorned with black lizard-lions walking across a grey-green field. “I like this one,” I told my mother and Aglantine.

“A good choice,” my mother agreed.

“We’re all set then,” Aglantine announced.

58_zps4dt8eqbv.jpg

The day of my wedding has come. I can see my betrothed, Jon Snow, waiting in front of the heart tree in the Sunk Grove. Rows of chairs form an aisle in which my father gently held my hand as he escorted me across. As I walk across the aisle, I saw the guests that attended my wedding. Luwelyn Cray; the Master of Castle Cray, Sheryl Fenn; the Lady of Silvereed, Bohemund Blackmyre; the Lord of Greycrann, Eyron Marsh; the Lord of Churwell, Gariss; Master of the Grey Dun and others from court. Beside Jon stands Benjen Stark and there is no sign that any of his siblings attended the wedding. Once I reached the heart tree, my father gave my hand to Jon and left to stand beside my brother.

Jon and I looked at each other’s eyes and said our vows in front of the heart tree. My father once taught me that no one can lie in front of a heart tree. But, it’s probably just baseless superstition since I find myself saying words that doesn’t mean anything to me. The vow is not even my own words. Aglantine wrote my vow for me. This is Aglantine’s vow not mine. In my mind, I’m saying different things. In my mind, I’m praying to the gods to unmake this union. I want to wed an actual Stark or a prince not a bastard. If I’m going to be married then let me marry a lord with a big castle.

After we said our vows, I turned around so Jon may coat me and bring me under his protection. Since he’s a bastard, he is not allowed to use a coat with the sigil of House Stark. Instead, my father gave him a coat with the sigil of our House. When the coating is done, the feast followed. Jon and I sat on a reserved seat where the guests can come up and congratulate us and give us gifts. I smiled, I laughed and I teased as I was taught and this gave the everyone the impression that I am the happiest girl alive. Especially Jon, who sat beside me with a nervous smile. Torghen talked about how Jon won’t stop talking about the Night’s Watch but right now he won’t even talk. Does he even like me, I wonder.

We stayed awkwardly silent to each other until Jon’s uncle, Benjen, came by and whispered something to his ear. Whatever it is, it made him blush and nervously turned to me. “I hear you like lizard-lions,” he forced himself to say.

“I hate lizard-lions, they’re big, scaly and looks like logs floating on the river.” I replied

“Oh… Um, do you like frogs?” He forced himself once more.

“Why do you ask? Is it because I’m a crannogman?” I may be a little miffed at him.

“Ah… no. Sorry, my uncle told me that I need to get to know my wife but I’m not really good at talking to... women. And I’ve only met you once years ago when we were both very young.” I remember that day, that was when my father took us to Winterfell where he swore fealty to Robb Stark. “It’s not because I don’t like you or anything. You look very beautiful, far more than I ever could imagine, and I know that you are a good person… I’m just not used to all of this.”

I don’t know if its because of compliments but, I found myself smiling after hearing all those things. “Well…” I decided that I might as well get to know my husband. “My father and brother never lacked for stories to tell, do you have one? A girl always like a good story, you can start with that.”

A smile crept up his face and said, “Well there was this one time when Jorah and I lead Robb down to the crypts beneath Winterfell and…” Soon I found myself dancing with Jon. We danced until we’re the last ones on the dancefloor and that is when my raised his cup and announced...

57_zpslh3s3bcs.jpg

The day after the wedding, the guests are starting to leave. Jon said his final farewells to his Uncle Benjen while holding back his tears. Everyone who attended thinks that we are both happily in love and the wedding became the talk of the North days to come. My father’s image greatly improved and House Reed’s vassals now feel proud of their liege lord and more eager to serve.

53_zpso8maoulc.jpg

Weeks went by as if its a dream. Jon and I spent every moment with each other since the wedding. We went hunting, riding and visited towns together, always together. Jon would bring me flowers that he picked in the forests and I would give him a kiss in return. Barba, Meliana and my little sister, Maege, would make fun of us whenever they saw us having a picnic beneath a tree. This all ended when Jon came to me one day with flowers in his hand riddled with fever.

54_zpsjatcr12r.jpg

This can’t be happening, I thought to myself. I called for the maester to see if he can help him. He told me that he has caught the Bloody Flux and forbade me to be near him. I refused at first but after the maester, accompanied by my mother, told me of the dangers the Bloody Flux can do, I backed down. Instead, I went down to the Sunk Grove and prayed to the heart tree. I saw my father do it when my brother was born as a sick babe and it worked, now my brother is a healthy boy. I prayed day and night to the gods. Praying for the life of my beloved. I told the gods that I don’t want any other husband. I told them that I would give up anything so that we can live as husband and wife.

One night, I sneaked into Jon’s room and found him sleeping soundly. I sat beside him and before long I too fell asleep. I woke up to the sensation of Jon’s hand gently petting my hair. The first thing I saw that day was his smile.

A year later, my belly swelled up with child and then, not long after, a beautiful boy was born. We named him Leobald, after noone in particular.

55_zpsloxjo5gu.jpg

I was watching Jon caress Leobald in his arms and I can’t help myself but to smile at the sight. I have been taught my entire life how to fake my smiles, gestures and emotions in order please the people around me. But, the smiles this man get from me are not fake. My real smiles, my real laughs, and my real everything are all for him. Only for him.

He looked at me with a puzzled look in his eyes. “Why are you looking at me like that? Am I doing something wrong?”
I giggled then replied, “You really do know nothing, Jon Snow.”

56_zps2ohbdjcd.jpg

Last edited:
Good for them. I always liked Meera, and maybe Jon won't be so mopey and emo with a happy marriage.

Looking at Meera''s traits, Robb better watch out. Ambitious, deceitful and ruthless are a recipe for accidents to befall her husband's half brother.

Since it sounds like Barbara Dea grew up at least a little bicurious, would you mind marrying her brother off? It needn't be anyone important, and it could be a good way to poach a talented lowbrow from another court. Who knows, their kids might take after their grandmother.

Good for them. I always liked Meera, and maybe Jon won't be so mopey and emo with a happy marriage.

Looking at Meera''s traits, Robb better watch out. Ambitious, deceitful and ruthless are a recipe for accidents to befall her husband's half brother.

Since it sounds like Barbara Dea grew up at least a little bicurious, would you mind marrying her brother off? It needn't be anyone important, and it could be a good way to poach a talented lowbrow from another court. Who knows, their kids might take after their grandmother.

My Meera definitely turned out totally different than Book Meera. I blame Aglantine, damn southron influence! And don't worry, House Dea will survive at least one more generation, I hope. Haven't played that far yet. ;)

Chapter VII: A Wolf Can't Fish

59_zps49x7ggxx.jpg

Three hundred years after Aegon the Conqueror landed of Westeros, news spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms that King Robert attended a wedding held by Lord Wyman Redding in honour of his son and heir, Reynard, and took the bride’s first night. Four years ago when I was training soldiers in Winterfell, I was informed of the reinstatement of the lord’s rights to first night but I didn’t realize that King Robert is foolish enough to actually practice it. The law itself will bring forth the doom of the king. Peasants all over the country will no doubt start rebellions due to this. But, it is not my job to worry about the fate of the Seven Kingdoms. Nearly three years ago, I hosted a wedding in honour of my daughter, Meera, and good son, Jon Snow. Because of the careless spending I did for that wedding, the smallfolk has taken it upon themselves to call me “the Careless.” Now, my son’s betrothed, Margaret Stark has recently celebrated her fourteenth nameday and I must prepare another wedding in their honour.

From the time I spent in Winterfell training aspiring soldiers, I noticed that Margaret is the opposite of Torghen. She is a sweet girl but, ever since witnessing the death of her father at a young age, she has developed a fear of swords much like her brothers. She has also developed a close relationship with her twin brother, Rickard. In return, my son could be a bit cruel and quick to anger. I wish for them to have a happy marriage just like how Meera and Jon had grown to love each other.

60_zpsuvfsw0gc.jpg

Just like before, I prepared a grand ceremony with a grand feast and invited all the lords in the Neck and Lord Robb. The same bannermen who attended Meera’s wedding came, with the exception of Sheryl Fenn who died a few months ago, her son Donal attended as the Lord of Silvereed. Lord Paramount Robb, his brother; Rickard, his mother; Catelyn and his uncle; Benjen came as well. Along with them, came Margaret. Wearing a close-fitting white gown with a running grey direwolf across the chest. She was escorted to the weirwood tree by Lord Robb. After the exchange of vows and the coating, the feast followed.

61_zps2wyzyby1.jpg

During the feast, I was accompanied by my castellan and loyal bannerman, Lord Bohemund Blackmyre, and we got to know each other a little better. We talked about battles we’ve fought in the past and current going-on of the world. Before we knew it, hours have passed and a lot of the guests have shown signs of being tired. I never knew I had such a great friend just close by.

62_zpskyjy2z55.jpg

Before long, I rose up from my seat and raised my cup. “I thinks its about time we bed them!”

63_zpsnti3uqj2.jpg

Everyone stood up and cheered for the two newly weds. Tearing off their garments as they lead them to their bed chambers. By that time, I looked around me. Due to the hard work of my treasurer, Mylenda, my coffers have never been so full. By taxing the people crossing the causeway, I have accumulated enough wealth to rival the Manderlys and surpass the Starks. Yet, I thought to myself, this shouldn’t be the end of it.

64_zpsx3ig0uvb.jpg

Lord Robb must have realized it too when he declared his second attempt to press his rightful claim for Riverrun and the Riverlands just a few weeks after the wedding. The first one got put down by King Robert before it could even start a few years ago.

68_zpsuue4ubz2.jpg

As Lord Robb prepares for war, he instructed me to train troops in Winterfell even though, as Master of War of the North’s army, it should’ve been me leading the army against the River Lords. Instead, he gave the command of his armies to Lord Jorah Mormont of Bear Island and Lord Rickard Ryswell of the Rills. While I stay at Winterfell “training troops,” I got word of the birth of my new daughter, Jynessa. She looks smaller and weaker than the rest of her siblings when they were born. I can only pray for her good health.

65_zpskqn4dnvc.jpg

Soon after, a raven came from Torghen in Greywater Watch informing me that Lord Robb, together with seven thousand men from Winterfell, is besieging the Twins. Perhaps the combination of pride and cowardice has led him to march south without the rest of his army to prove his mettle. Perhaps it is part of a grand plan that he did not bother to tell me during the war council. Turns out it was just sheer foolishness mixed with inexperience but mostly foolishness. After receiving Torghen’s second letter, I found out that more than twenty thousand rivermen attacked Lord Robb’s army of seven thousand leaving him no choice but to run up the Neck. Hopefully he’ll manage to meet up with the rest of the Northern army and crush the Rivermen.

66_zpstrxr0pfv.jpg

A raven from Silvereed arrived in Winterfell to inform me once more of the status of the war. Over thirty-two thousand rivermen crossed the Neck to catch up to Lord Robb’s army. My crannogmen tried their best to slow down and bleed the rivermen army as they march up but to no avail. Over twenty-eight thousand soldiers fought against the North’s combined force of twenty thousand men. The battle was fierce, the rivermen may have the advantage in numbers but the northerners have the advantage of terrain. But, as it is in war, the one with the most soldiers won. Thirteen thousand rivermen were left out of thirty-two thousand but the North still lost and it’s army scatters.

67_zpsnuq3kboi.jpg

Fantastic GoT AAR. Subbed

Chapter VIII: The Life of a Lord

69_zpsyuq1unj3.jpg

Along with her daughter, Barba Dea, and a girl named Meliana, Summer came to Winterfell to hand me an important message with the King’s seal. The war between the North and the Riverlands are still ongoing, however, and I’m aware of how dangerous traveling from the Neck must have been. Worried, I asked Summer how she managed to sneak past the Riverlander army that goes up and down the Neck hunting the remnants of the North’s army. “I have lived in the Neck my entire life, m’lord, and we are crannogmen. We know how to get around our home better than any southrons,” she replied.

“The southrons only traveled through the causeway so all we have to do is stay away from it,” added Barba with a voice filled with glee. She was always the cheerful one, Torghen has taken a great liking to her ever since they were little kids. They grow up so fast. “Meliana, didn’t you have something to report to Lord Reed?” Barba said with a malicious grin.

“Uhh!” Meliana’s face turned bright red.

“Barba! Remember your manners, don’t speak unless you're spoken to!” Summer turned to me. “Apologies, m’lord. If we may be excused.”

I gave them a nod and gestured to the door. “Except for you, Meliana. Does your mother have anything important to tell me?” I called. Barba sniggers as she exits the room making Meliana turn bright red once more. I can almost hear Summer scolding her once more once they got out.

Meliana, a girl of ten and seven, is the daughter of Domeric, the man I banished to the Wall after plotting to kill my spymaster, and Mylenda, a woman from the Stormlands who became my treasurer. I kind of feel bad that I robbed this girl of her father but justice must be done and would be killers must be punished. But, despite my worries, Mylenda managed to raise Meliana into a fine young woman. She has grown into a hardworking and courageous woman of the Neck.

“Yes, m’lord,” she replied. “My mother wants me to inform you that due to the war, we cannot tax the causeway. She suggests refraining on any lavish spending until the war is done.”

“Is that all?” I asked her.

“Yes, m’lord.”

“You may go.”

Meliana paused before opening the door. “Actually, m’lord. There is something else.” She slowly moved closer towards me, blue eyes fixated on mine. “All my life, I have watched you. All my life, I have admired you.” Her hands held onto mine, soft and gentle. “All my life, I have desired you.” She leaned in closer, warm red cheeks made visible. “Please, m’lord, make me a woman.” Then her lips touched mine.

70_zps2zmw53xq.jpg

I pushed her away gently and told her that I am a married man but neglected to tell her of my lover, Alyssa, who I still see from time to time. I told her that I’m the one who sent her father to the Wall and how much it would dishonor him if I did what she wanted. She seemed to have understood my point. She backed up, apologised and asked permission to leave which I gladly gave her. She’s young and deserves something better than to be my mistress. She desires to be married, a woman of her station could never marry me and I doubt being a mother of my bastards would make her happy. The next morning I called for Summer.

“So you know what happened yesterday?” I asked her.

“I do, the girl was crying all night it was hard to sleep. Barba had to comfort the girl. She stayed by her side all through the night. Good thing they have always been close friends.” She replied.

“I hope she gets better,” I told her as I hand her two envelopes with my seal. “Both your son and daughter are not married to anyone yet, right?”

“Uhh… yes. Can I ask what these are for?” Summer investigates the envelopes.

“Those are marriage arrangements,” I told her. “Mycah has to marry so that House Dea won’t end with him and Barba should be taking care of her own family by now. Meliana seems to be very familiar with your children so marrying Mycah won’t be too hard. Benfred Greengood’s wife died of the bloody flux without giving him a son and Barba can give him one to continue his line.”

Summer took in a deep breath. “As you say, m’lord.”

After the meeting with Summer is over, I opened the King’s letter to see what he wants from me. It turned out to be an invitation to another Tourney of King’s Landing. The last one is to honor his friend, Eddard Stark, this one, only the Decadent King knows. I guess this is a lot better than him deflowering some poor lord’s new wife. At least, this lets him mend some of the bridges he’d burnt. With war with the Riverlands becoming a helpless cause and staying in Winterfell training troops becoming tiresome, I decided to head to King’s Landing to join the tourney.

71_zpstxq89lcq.jpg

With the Neck still being infested by hostile Riverlanders, I rode a hired a ship from White Harbor to King’s Landing. With me, I brought a suit of armor, not the one that Lord Glover gave me, lances, tourney blades and a kite shield with my house’s sigil. I was accompanied only by my ward, Lord Bohemund’s daughter, Alyx Blackmyre excluding the servants. She shall act as my squire for the time being. She’s a brave and diligent girl and also knows a thing or two about fighting. She’ll do just fine.

72_zpskaiywqjw.jpg

Ever since losing to the legendary kingsguard Barristan Selmy on the first day during the last tourney, I’ve been training to improve my jousting abilities. I won’t be so easily thrown off the saddle this time. The herald announces the competitors for the next joust and I have been drawn against Lord Elwood Harte of Brindlewood. I ride and with practice aim with my lance I threw him off his saddle.

73_zpsnmt66elx.jpg

The herald announces my next opponent and I am drawn against Ser Archibald Yronwood. A much younger, much bigger and much stronger man, Ser Archibald Yronwood threw me off my saddle and once again lost in a tourney. I packed up my stuff and went home as soon as I could. There’s no reason for me to stay in King’s Landing.

74_zpsi4hx0xg2.jpg

Since the war was officially over, I was able to head back to Greywater Watch directly. Once at home, my lover, Alyssa, came to court holding a baby. The baby has my eyes and is undeniably mine. So, despite my wife’s protest, I acknowledge the babe as my son. I named him Edwyle, after my father. Needless to say, my relationship with my wife after that event never recovered.

75_zpsnyuqabuj.jpg

After the war between the North and the Riverlands ended, Lord Robb was faced by another war. Lord Rickard Ryswell of the Rills declared a revolt against the tyranny of Robb Stark. Since the invasion of Riverlands lead into a crushing defeat of the North’s forces, Lord Rickard must have thought that Lord Robb wouldn’t have the strenght to fight back. The result was a war that lasted two years before Lord Robb managed to muster up enough levies to beat Lord Rickard. He was then promptly sent to the Wall. An action that reminded me of Eddard Stark.

Around this time, my daughter, Maege, celebrated her sixteenth nameday and I spent my time looking for a suitable husband for her to marry. Only lordlings and high lords have suitable husbands for her to marry and I believe my daughter deserves to wed someone higher. Which leaves only the crown prince as a choice. Drunk with pride, I sent a letter to the king suggesting that my daughter and his only son be wed and our houses joined. And, he must also be drunk as well when wrote his response.

76_zps6dj2aqrx.jpg

A royal wedding in Westeros? I hope there are a few survivors.

Reactions: