• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Leovigild32

Sergeant
56 Badges
Sep 27, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
KreAARting an Island Empire

Krete_zpsoq0viugt.jpg

Friends, Romans, lend me your ears! As my first AAR I have chosen the small island duchy of Krete. With the subpar Doux Michael Ouranos I will seek to lead my dynasty to great achievements! Watch me succeed, fail, or maybe be a demon spawn! It all depends on how it goes.

Krete%20start_zpsr5slznto.jpg

I am not a great player, so I will be playing on normal difficulty, expect mistakes.

I will not cheat, with one exception. (First one to guess what it is gets my first born child.)

I do not have Charlemagne or Way of Life.

This will mostly be a history book AAR.

As mentioned above, this is my first AAR. So any advice, comments, and adulation are much appreciated!

Table of Contents​
Michael I Ouranos (1066-1091)
Ioannes 'The Fat' II (1091-1138)
Georgios 'The Fat' 'The Beast' (1138-1171)
Laurentios (1171-1175)
Bardas I (1177-1233)
Michael II (1233- 1244)
Bardas II (1244-1261)
Ioannes III (1261-1265)
Evangelos I (1265-1270)
Nikephoros I 'The Quarreller' (1270-1310)
Georgios II 'The Wise' (1310-1347)
Nikephoros II (1347-1368)
Romanos I (V) (1368-1395)
Artemios I (III) (1395-1416)
Evangelos II (I) (1416-1433)
Ioannes IV (II) "The Saint" (1433-1472)

My little story has finished. Thanks to everyone who bothered to read!:)

Last edited:
Chapter 1-1: Family and Friendship

Doux Michael I of Krete

Krete had long been a part of the Roman Empire. In 71 BC Krete was conquered by Marcus Antonius Creticus. This conqueror is thought to be the source of the island’s its name. It would remain a Roman possession until the 820s AD At this time Andalusian Muladis, led by Abu Hafs, briefly conquered the island. Starting in 842 AD The Romans began a slow re-conquest, which ended in 961 AD. Nikephoros Phokas was responsible for the final victory. It would remain an imperial holding until granted to a local aristocratic dynasty. The recipient of the duchy was Michael I Ouranos.
Doux%20Michael%20Ouranos_zpsqvbwniw2.jpg

(Doux Michael I Ouranos)

Being the first of the Ouranos dynasty to rule the duchy of Krete, Doux Michael is when the history of Krete took a decisive turn. Michael was an honest and humble man, but he also had a weakness for food. There are numerous accounts of his hunting to adequately provide for his table. He had the wisdom to marry Judith de Melguil. She would provide him with two sons; Ioannes and Georgios, as well as three daughters; Evanthia, Eulalia, and Theodora. Ioannes, who had a less than positive relationship with his father, would eventually inherit.

Michaels%20Hunt_zpse020jkk0.jpg

(Doux Michael I's Passion was hunting)
Judith%20de%20Melgueill_zpsyzstcyt8.jpg

(Judith de Melgueil)
Ioannes%20Ouranos_zpszju2mcqx.jpg

(Ionnes Ouranos)

Defending the Empire
Basileus%20Konstantinos%20X_zps6c6kknet.jpg

(Basileus Konstantinos X)

Doux Michael like all of the Empire, initially, heeded their liege’s call to defend the Empire from the Seljuk Sultan. Led incompetently by the Emperor Konstantinos X himself, the Roman army was bested after a series of battles. However, the victory at the First Battle of Manzikert kept the war going. During a stalemate in the war Doux Michael was invited by Prince Michael to a game of tzykanion. While Doux Michael I lost, this game would result in Doux Michael I’s love for the game, as well as his long lasting friendship and loyalty to Prince Michael. Eventually, in 1074, Doux Michael I would betroth his heir to Prince Michael’s daughter.
1st%20Seljuk%20War%20Start_zpsh5mokbxa.jpg

(1st Seljuk War Start)

While the long lasting war switched from set piece battles to guerrilla warfare and sieges, Doux Michael took the time to indulge in his piety. On May 1, 1068 Doux Michael went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, the site of the Lord’s crucifixion. It was here that first set Doux Michael I’s mind on a strange path. A letter describing his travels to Prince Michael in detail has been used as evidence by scholars to claim the pilgrimage was less than an authentic observation of piety. Instead, scholars argue that it was a spying mission in preparation for an invasion of the Holy Land. Whatever the truth, the Roman Empire was not able to muster the troops to invade the Holy Land.
1st%20Seljuk%20War%20Late_zpsskiwpdnh.jpg

(1st Seljuk War Late)

The letter gives hints to the future course of Doux Michael I. It is full of descriptions of Muslim traders. Caravans of camels, ships full of spices and goods, and a plentitude of wealth. Doux Michael I also marveled at the churches, basilicas, and strangely for a Christian, the mosques. In fact it was relatively useless for preparing an invasion, possibly explaining why the Roman Empire gave up on the idea of a Holy Land expedition. In the end the only benefit to come out of the pilgrimage was Doux Michael I’s piety and the seed for his future plans.
Jerusalem_zpsixefvose.jpg

(Jerusalem)

By June 20th, 1069 the tide in the Seljuk war had turned. After a loss at the Second Battle of Manzikert, the Seljuk armies moved south into their own territories. This was due to a series of Zoroastrian, Nestorian, and peasant revolts. This forced the Seljuk forces to retreat, seeking to maintain their own lands. By March 14th, 1072 Emperor Konstantinos X “The Bold” held a triumph in the old tradition. The victory was the more impressive, since defeat had been almost inevitable.
Triumph_zpshzg4dsmg.jpg

(Triumph)

Rumblings on the Horizon

Konstantinos X and the Roman Empire had reason to look to a bright future. The Muslim Seljuk Empire had been turned back; the Roman Empire was stable and loyal. However, it would not last. Poor decision and twists of fate would bring war and desolation to the Roman Empire.

Perhaps one of the biggest reasons for the Paulician wars that would soon occur was the enshrining of the Ecumenical Patriarch Kosmos. By all accounts he was a corrupt and unsuitable for the Patriarchate. Barely believing in Christianity, cruel and an incompetent diplomat meant he would be a drain on the Empire. His blatant corruption would anger many local leaders. It also led to the spread of Paulicianism and a resurgence of the Iconoclastic heresy.
Wicked%20Patriarch_zpsekyytn2g.jpg

(Wicked Patriarch)

Emperor Konstantinos X’s best quality was his tenacity. He was politically inept, resulting in widespread plotting and revolts. While he lived, his victory over the Seljuk Empire was enough to keep most of his vassals loyal. However his death would plunge the Empire into strife.

Are you going to cheat in your first-born child?

No, What I meant by you get my first born son is anyone who guesses (I have given some clues already) can name the next firstborn son I get. The third post of the actual AAR will focus on the "cheat." I've seen some other AARs do similar things, so I don't know if it's exactly a cheat. (I know I called it that already) Just a radical change that I wanted to do to create the story.;)

Hello and good luck with your first AAR!

My guess would be you switched from a feudal ruler to a republic of Crete? (at Ioanne's picture, his father has the clothes of the patricians or is it a bug?)

Whatever the guess may be, I will be following the adventures of the Ouranos family :)

Hello and good luck with your first AAR!

My guess would be you switched from a feudal ruler to a republic of Crete? (at Ioanne's picture, his father has the clothes of the patricians or is it a bug?)

Whatever the guess may be, I will be following the adventures of the Ouranos family :)

We have a winner! I switched to a Republic. The title never said what type of empire.:D Pretty sure I've seen other AARs with similar changes. If you're interested Crimson Drakon you can name the next first born son I have. (In game of course. ;)) Although I did have a weird bug with the patrician families. For awhile I had three with the same name. Not exactly sure why, but have an idea.

Chapter 1-2: Intrigue, Treachery, and Forgiveness.

Emperor Michael VII

In March of 1075 Emperor Konstantinos died of old age. His son, Michael took the throne smoothly as Emperor Michael VII of the Roman Empire. Michael VII was even less competent than his father, if that were possible. What kept Michael VII alive for was his wife, who by all accounts was an diplomat and intriguer. However, Michael VII’s slothful, craven, greedy, and sometimes arbitrary nature was not to be overcome.
Emperor%20Michael%20VII_zpsbjc0q68a.jpg

(Emperor Michael VII)

The first major crisis for Michael VII was a rebellion. In the early May of 1075 AD Doux Andronikos of Nikaea and Moesia led a revolt, seeking to force the Emperor to cede some authority to his vassals. It would be a brutal war, involving over half the Empire in revolt. Michael VII’s victory was due more to Andronikos’ ineptitude than Michael VII’s ability. The war would end in June of 1077 AD.
1st%20Lower%20Crown%20Authority%20in%20Byzantine%20Revolt_zpslar7ma0b.jpg

(1st Crown Authority Revolt)

Betrayal

During this time Doux Michael I was less than helpful to his friend the Emperor. Instead of leading troops he wasted time hunting. This damaged the relationship between the two men. To make things worse in December of 1075AD Doux Michael I met with Doux Theodoros ‘the Lion’ of Trebizond to play Tzykanisterion. Doux Michael, a gluttonous man won the match against one of the most renowned players. Due to the future actions of Doux Michael I, it is very likely that this was part of the rebels’ strategy to woo Doux Michael I to their side.
Tzyakanisterion%202_zpszlmdmkhm.jpg

(Tzykanisterion)

Doux Theodoros was in fact a friend of the rebels, though he did not actually join the revolt. Shortly after this, as one of the few loyal Doux, Emperor Michael VII made Doux Michael I Caesar. He would shortly regret the decision.

It was during the twilight of the revolt, when Adronikos was desperate, that he got Doux Michael I to commit to attempting to murder Emperor Michael VII. However, Doux Michael I’s plan did not move quickly enough. On June 14th 1077 AD Andronikos surrendered. As a result, Doux Michael’s plotting was discovered. Doux Michael I quickly fled to Neopolis to avoid his old friend’s wrath.
Doux%20Michael%20plot_zpsb1ixd9z5.jpg

(Doux Michael’s plot to kill Emperor Michael VII)

Redemption

The next month is difficult to understand. Emperor Michael VII was vindictive to some, and merciful to others. He revoked all of Andronikos’ lands, and blinded several others. Other rebels were released with no punishment. The result was almost instant plotting to overthrow the Emperor. In addition a peasant revolt, and Michael VII’s decision to aid his father-in-law, the king of Georgia, destabilized the situation.

By the start of July Michael had returned from exile, and was in the Emperor’s good graces once more. His lands were restored, and the Emperor would eventually come to trust him once again, naming him Caesar shortly before he would be forced to abdicate the throne in July of 1078 AD.
Michael%20VII%20abdicates_zps66e4jh9v.jpg

(Emperor Michael VII abdicates)

Someone needs to set sail from the isles and conquer the mainland just for fun! :p
Best of luck with this endeavor! I'll hopefully be tagging along for this.

Cheers!

We have a winner! I switched to a Republic. The title never said what type of empire.:D Pretty sure I've seen other AARs with similar changes. If you're interested Crimson Drakon you can name the next first born son I have. (In game of course. ;)) Although I did have a weird bug with the patrician families. For awhile I had three with the same name. Not exactly sure why, but have an idea.

Great! :D

Hm, I am unsure if you have progressed much into your game, if you like you could name a child after Bardas, the name was associated with high ranking Byzantine generals and it is easy to spell I think!

Interesting twist with the abdication of the Emperor and the return of Michael from exile, will Krete's coffers will begin to fill with gold? :)

volksmarschell: Thanks for reading! There will indeed be an expedition onto the mainland. Although maybe not how you might expect.

Crimson Drakon: Bardas will be good! Although it will be a couple of generations from what I have posted. And yes the coffers will fill:D...and then be empty again.:(

And without Further ado the last chapter for Doge Michael I:

Chapter 1-3: Michael’s Vision, Michael’s Mistake
A Visionary Mistake?

We come now to the strange decision Michael made when he was re-granted the Duchy of Krete. Perhaps Michael was contemplating his vision after returning from his pilgrimage to Jerusalem, but was too busy hunting to enact it. It is almost certain the idea was forming by June of 1077. At this time Michael bought a small inn, naming it the Drunken Squire. For a noble to be involved in merchant trade like this was strange indeed. Michael turned a handsome prophet off of the inn, perhaps making him commit to the radical vision when he was re-granted the duchy of Krete.
Inn_zpsq0ht0qvq.jpg

(Inn)

We have danced around the subject for too long. With ever increasing intrigue in the Imperial court Emperor Michael VII submitted to his old friends demands. Michael VII revoked the cities of Krete. He then granted them to his friend Michael, to do with as he pleased. Thus, Michael I declared himself Doge of the Republic of Krete. He invited four other families to join him in ruling the Republic. The five families were: Georgios of Doukas Kamateros, Anastasios of Kastriotis, Doge Michael I of Ouranos, Zenon of Palaiologos, and Helias of Stryphnos.
Patricians_zpsnqawhgol.jpg

(Patricians)

Whether it met all his expectations or not is difficult to know. Some documents show that Doge Michael’s income increased from 5 florins to 15 florins. So, the Republic was quickly profitable. But Ioannes II, Michael’s son, was not elected immediately to the office of Doge. Consequently, historians have disagreed whether the decision was a mistake or not.

Still, holding a city and castle, for a while, in Kaneia gave the Ouranos family a distinct advantage in the future elections. Doge Michael immediately took a loan and founded trade posts in Gortyn and Naxos. Over the next few years he would found trade posts in Euboia and Constantinople.

Doge Michael’s Family

When he returned from his exile Doge Michael was worried about Emperor Michael VII changing his mind again. Consequently, he left his sons: Ioannes and Georgios along with his two daughters: Evanthia and Eulalia in Neapolis. His final daughter Theodora was still unborn. Eventually, all of the family except Georgios would join Michael in Krete. Georgios would go on to become Sakellarios of Neapolis, and later when that land was taken by the Normans, Sakellarios of Malta. Though diligent, just, and generally more learned Georgios would refuse to take his brother’s place. Instead he remained in self-enforced exile until his death.
Ioannes%20II%20in%20exile_zps9rnzfhti.jpg

(Ioannes in Exile)

In the time between Doge Michael’s return and Emperor Michael VII’s abdication, Doge Michael betrothed his son Ioannes to the Emperor’s daughter, Melissa. Melissa would provide the Ouranos family with a prolific number of children, which in turn would bring tragedy.
Michaels%20Family_zpsdofz90rf.jpg

(Michael’s Family)

Politicking, Sickness, and Death

Doge Michael found the other patrician families with which he had agreed to share power more difficult to deal with than expected. Instead of sitting back and letting Doge Michael and his descendants do as they please, the other patrician families actively fought House Ouranos. Ioannes II would have to wait, and prepare the way for his succession on Doge Anastasios of Kastriotis’ death.
Trade%20Michael%201_zpst7ml090b.jpg

(Trade Michael 1)

Doge Michael was unprepared for the powerful challenge which the other patricians would present. Though the family’s dominant position would remain, his decisions on where to place trade posts would be erratic. Instead of gaining dominance of one area, he sought to gain as much trade territory as possible. The result was overextension. By the end of his life Michael would see much of his gains contested by the other patrician houses.
Trade%20Michael%202_zps5fm9og7o.jpg

(Trade Michael 2)

Doge Michael I clearly realized the threat his fellow Patricians represented. In October 1986 Michael had Zenon Palailogos assassinated. This brought a new patrician family into the conflict, Eugenios of House Aaron. Perhaps the biggest rivalry was with house Stryphnos over the West Cyclades. While Michael built a trade post in Naxos, Stryphnos took Atheniai and Monemvasia. This meant House Stryphnos took control of the West Cyclades.

War ultimately took its toll on both the Roman Empire, as well as on Doge Michael I. Armenian revolts, holy wars, and the Paulician uprisings would eventually force Emperor Michael VII to abdicate to his brother, Emperor Konstantios IV in early 1078. Doge Michael’s response to the increased warfare was to found the household guard. He would raise three units of Pike men to serve house Ouranos in defending the island.
Incapable_zpsuuebwwqd.jpg

(Incapable)

Michael would become infirm while leading troops in suppressing the Armenian uprising of April 1084 AD. At the same time the Emperor was fighting a major crown law revolt, led by Doux Bardas. When peace returned in January 1087 AD, Doge Michael retired to his palace, where his condition continued to degrade. On September 27th, 1091AD, Doge Michael I died in his sleep.
Michael%20Dies_zpstjkadctk.jpg

(Michael’s Death)

So here is the next chapter of my AAR. I was wondering, are these chapters too short? Should I just combine each ruler into one chapter?

Chapter 2-1 Lord Mayor Ioannes II of Kaneia

Piety and the search for the Chalice

Ioannes II Ouranos, like his father was a zealous practitioner of Christianity. One of his first acts was to go on a pilgrimage to Constantinople. This would serve him well, when he came later in his life for war and not piety. Ioannes was the sponsor of several important icons, including one which depicted Christ Pantocrator. This stands in contrast to the end of his life. Ioannes would embrace a harsh version of Orthodox Christianity, Iconoclasm at the age of 61.
Constantinople%20Pilgrimage_zpsc0wo0bq0.jpg

(Constantinople Pilgrimage)

Ioannes II told a story from his childhood often. When he was young, he was with his sisters Evanthia and Eulalia. Georgios was too young to go out into the woods. As young children are want to do the three, and some other noble children, would often go out into the woods and play a version of what children call “house.” This specific time they took out a chalice, covered in jewels, spelling out Ioannes’ name. As children do, the chalice was left behind. The search would consume Ioannes’ spare time for the rest of his life.
Chalice_zps2tsg8vjm.jpg

(Chalice)

Perhaps the search for the chalice can also be used for a metaphor of Ioannes II’s life. Ioannes never bought into his father’s vision. Though he would solidify the family’s position as the pre-eminent family of the Republic of Krete, he never enjoyed it. Though he would be called king-maker, he was never happy with himself. He was always searching for what was missing, his families past aristocratic inheritance as well as something that would make him happy.

Happiness would not come his way. Even in victory, he would be defeated. His first wife Melissa died of complications from being blinded due to Ioannes’ war. His first son, Michael, would die incapable and seemingly insane. His second son, Petros, would take monastic vows, cursing his younger brother as Demon Spawn. But a discussion of Georgios is getting too far ahead; Ioannes II would live a long and tragic life.

Revenge

Ioannes prepared for war from the second he inherited the city of Rethymno. While not the main contestant for power, Helias of House Stryphnos, was an enemy of House Ouranos. Helias openly contested House Ouranos in the Western Cyclades, and even seized control of trade in the Sea of Krete by building a trade post in the city of Rethymno. In addition Ioannes suspected Helias of piracy when several of House Styrphnos’ captains brought in the wreckage of House Ouranos’ trade ships.
Ioannes%20Trade%201_zpsf82uzf3z.jpg

(Ioannes Trade 1)

Consequently, Ioannes declared war on Helias of House Stryphnos on January 29, 1093 AD. The war would end in four months, resulting in the increased dominance of House Ouranos. It was a thorough embarrassing for House Stryphnos. Additionally, it would lead Ioannes tp commission a squad of Cataphracts for his household guard.
Stryphnos%20war_zpsuk2kvqne.jpg

(Strphnos war)

Ioannes and Melissa
Ioannes declared a Great Hunt in celebration. Like his father, Michael, Ioannes loved to go hunting. He spent significant stores of money hunting and avoiding his responsibility trusting much to his sisters. While on this hunt Melissa had a child, Michael. The youth was strong, and no signs of his future illness were present. While many would think hunting while a wife was pregnant would be a point of contention, Ioannes and Melissa seem to have come to terms, resulting in a stronger friendship and love.
Ioannes%20and%20Melissa_zpsp2hf99jx.jpg

(Ioannes and Meliisa)

Melissa would give Ioannes five daughters: Anna, Theokiste, Georgia, Euphemia, and Aikaterine. She would also give him three sons: Michael, Petros, and Georgios. Ioannes was slothful and always preoccupied with his search for the lost chalice. Melissa on the other hand was strong, practically ruling first Kaneia and the Krete. Many have argued that in fact Melissa should be called the Emperor-maker and not her husband. But to others they were a dynamic duo. Ioannes the Emperor-maker and his wife Melissa: sister and aunt of Emperors.

Chapter 2-2: Doge Ioannes II

Doge Ioannes II

Doge Anastasios of House Kastriotis did not last long. He is practically un-important. Being in his 50s when he took the dogeship, he was inactive and only ruled for five years. After seizing the trade post of Athaniai, Ioannes was significantly more respected by the other Patrician families. In October 1096 AD this lead to Ioannes being chosen as the next Doge. Ioannes was elected Doge Ioannes II when Anastasios died.
Ioannes%20elected%20Doge_zpsibvwlt6c.jpg

(Ioannes II elected Doge)

During Doge Ioannes’ early reign, House Ouranos expanded its trade network into Nikomedeia and Thrake. His family expanded, and his respect among the patricians was unequaled. Even among the Doux of the realm, Ioannes was respected. This would lead him to make a poor decision twelve years into his reign.
World%20Trade_zpspezcbysy.jpg

(World Trade)

Byzantine Politics
Konstantios%20IV_zps8qaifdqw.jpg

(Emperor Konstantios IV ‘The Terrible’)

A brief discussion of Byzantine politics is necessary at this time. In July of 1078 AD Emperor Michael VII abdicated due to the demand of the majority of the Empire’s doux. His brother, Konstantios IV succeeded him. Konstantios IV ‘The Terrible’ would defeat Bardas’ attempt to reduce the authority of the Emperor in December 1083 AD. However, Konstantios IV would be forced to fight constant rebellions. The Paulician wars would continue with three Paulician rebellions. In addition Bulgarian and Armenian rebels would plague the Empire. Konstantios IV could control all of this, while he lived.
Konstantios IV would bring several counties under his control, including Zeta, Lori, and several Hungarian provinces. Konstantios’ mistake would be attempting to seize Azerbaijan from the Seljuk Sultan Malik Shah in 1104 AD. The war swung against, and then after the battle of Haykaberd, in favor of the Roman Empire. This led Konstantios IV to invade, deep into the Seljuk Empire, seeking to conquer the city of Baghdad. On October 3, 1106 AD Konstantios IV “The Terrible’ was hit by a stray arrow. He would die shortly.
Emperor%20Konstantios%20IVs%20Campaign%20for%20Baghdad_zpsflcc3ycb.jpg

(Emperor Konstantios IV's Campaign for Baghdad)

This left his teenage son Nikephoros III as the Emperor of the Romans. Why Konstantios chose Nikephoros over his older and better suited sons will always remain a mystery. What is not a mystery is that Nikephoros was not suited to rule. He was slow with, if we believe the chroniclers, dozens of bad qualities.
Emperor%20Nikephoros%20III_zpsb4tapgoa.jpg

(Emperor Nikephoros III)

On Nikephoros III’s succession the Seljuk war would deteriorate. The Paulician wars would continue along with renewed Armenian revolts. Incredibly, pagans from Vasterbotten raided Constantinople in 1107 AD, further undermining Nikephoros III’s position. Additionally plotting against the Emperor was open and almost universal. It is at this time, on July 7th, 1108 AD when Doge Ioannes II ‘The Fat’ sent Nikephoros III an ultimatum. Ioannes sought to force Nikephoros to abdicate in favor of his cousin Dionysios, son of Emperor Michael VII. The decision would batter the Empire for just over a decade.

Ioannes II’s Family

While much went well for Ioannes at this time, his family life did not. His nephew and nieces remained with their father Georgios in Malta. Only coming back to Krete after their father died, and Ioannes had suffered his own tragedies.
Baby%20Michael%20Ouranos_zpsinozj8jh.jpg

(Baby Michael)

Melissa would give Ioannes three sons. Michael, the presumptive heir was initially a strong and excellent son. The chroniclers marveled at his strength at a young age. However, he would die mysteriously young. Petros, the second son would take to the monastery, and give us the Chronicle of the Beast. This strange chronicle portrayed his brother, Georgios as the Anti-Christ. Perhaps Ioannes jumped his second son for the inheritance, and this is why Petros hated his younger brother so much. It is difficult to say, as Georgios is one of the most controversial figures of his age.
Georgios%20Suspected%20of%20Demonhood_zps7ff7dh4n.jpg

(Georgios Suspected of Being a Demon)

Petros relates 66 tales of Georgios’ demon hood. Rumors of his sneaking around during the night, when he was far too young to walk. Whispers overheard of his killing dogs and birds. Tales of Georgios playing painful tricks. And most disconcertingly, that Georgios first drove his brother Michael insane by blinding him, and later killed him with dark arts. Petros even declared Georgios had sought to kill him. His strange nurse, named Alice, and her suicide also fed into the rumors of Georgios being a monster.
Alice%20Commits%20Suicide_zpsqbd2jsel.jpg

(Alice Commits Suicide)

Holy crap, you got a demon spawn!

Yes, I did get the Demon Spawn chain. There is one more post of Ioannes II, and the Georgios takes over.:)

Chapter 2-3: Ioannes ‘The King Maker’

Making an Emperor

On July 7th, 1108 Doge Ioannes II sent an ultimatum to the young Nikephoros III, demanding he abdicate in favor of his cousin, Dionysios. Dionysios was the son of Emperor Michael VII. Thus, Dionysios was the nephew of Ioannes II’s wife, Melissa. This war would rage until December 1st, 1118 AD.
War%20to%20Place%20Dionysios%20on%20Throne_zpsus3diiwc.jpg

(War to Place Dionysios on Throne)

Doge Ioannes II quickly raised the levies of the Republic, and sailed to Constantinople. There he put his familiarity with the city from his Pilgrimage to use. Distracted by Paulicians, the Seljuks, Bulgarians, and Armenians, Nikephoros III would be unable to aid his capital for years. As a result Constantinople would fall in July 1110 AD. Many of the surrounding towns, bishoprics, and baronies would subsequently fall.
Seiging%20Constantinople_zps8ff1f8b6.jpg

(Sieging Constantinople)

The Republic of Krete was far too small to take on the whole Roman Empire, even when it was distracted by other wars. Consequently, Doge Ioannes hired mercenaries. Unfortunately, they proved less useful than anticipated. A band of Bulgarians were hired in early 1109 AD to siege Euboia. They would lose the battle of Megara to the Varangian guard, who had finished off a Paulician revolt nearby. The next year Doge Ioannes hired the Company of St. George, which defeated the Varangian guard.
Battle%20of%20Megara_zpstetsqrde.jpg

(Battle of Megara)

The sieges around Constantinople would continue, culminating in the battle of Agios Nikolaos. This battle, taking place in 1114 AD, broke the Varangian guard. It also forced Doge Ioannes to pull his troops back, and re-organize his armies on Krete. Not only was Ioannes re-organizing, but he was forced to free his capital, which the Duke of Galich had captured. Galich had joined the war at Nikephoros III’s request in September 1111AD.

Tragedy and Victory

When the city of Gortyn was captured by Galichian forces, Melissa was also captured. Nikephoros III released her, but only after blinding her. She would die of complications from the procedure in June 1116 AD. It would strike Ioannes like a heavy blow. His joy would hence be gone; he would seek only revenge against Nikephoros III.
In 1118 AD Doge Ioannes would take the fight to Nikephoros once again. He began sieging the count of the Island of Rhodes, a loyal vassal of Nikephoros. He got word from a spy that a large force, close to 8,000 men, with the Varangian guard at their head, were marching to break the siege. With only about 3,000 men Doge Ioannes was sure to be defeated. However, Ioannes quickly contracted with the Great Company, and shipped them to Rhodes. The two forces met, at the Battle of Laodikeia, where Doge Ioannes II won.
Konstantios%20is%20Dethroned_zpsgnb5n37r.jpg

(Konstantios V is Dethroned)

However, Doge Ioannes II was unable to take revenge on Nikephoros III. Nikephoros had died three days before the Battle of Laodikeia on October 17th, 1118 AD. He was succeeded by his son Konstantios V. Ioannes had no qualms about dis-inheriting the child, and instead put Emperor Dionysios ‘The Usurper’ on the throne.
Emperor%20Dionysios%20The%20Usurper_zpseeculra5.jpg

(Emperor Dionysios ‘The Usurper’)

Withdrawal from the World

Doge Ioannes II ‘The Fat’ came out of the war victorious, but broken. He had defeated the entire Roman Empire with only the island of Krete. Doge Michael I’s strange vision had clearly worked, allowing Krete to punch well above its weight. However, Doge Ioannes never reconciled himself to the change. Ultimately, it would take several more generations to do so.

Satan%20Spawn_zpsarakkrmr.jpg

(Satan Spawn)

As the war waged, Georgios Ouranos came of age, and the rest of his namesake’s, Uncle Georgios, children returned to Krete. Georgios was now heir after Michael had died and Petros asked to be tonsured. In an attempt to regain some happiness Doge Ioannes married Kyriake of Fourni. She would give him a son named Ioannes and a daughter named Barbara.
Petros%20Becomes%20a%20Monk_zpshgrvsm3q.jpg

(Petros Becomes a Monk)

The Republic of Krete was radically different by the end of the war. Not only had Ioannes’ family been shattered and rebuilt, but the patricians of Krete were also radically different. Between battle, disease, and sieges several houses were destroyed, or permanently broken. Only House Doukas Kamateros and Stryphnos remained alongside House Ouranos. Over the next couple of years House Stryphnos and some of the new houses would also collapse.
New%20patrician%20Houses_zpsbetoiqyt.jpg

(New Patrician Houses)

In March 1132 AD Emperor Dionysios ‘The Usurper’ died. He left his son Iordanes as his heir. Both Dionysios and Iordanes were powerful rulers, expanding the Empire into Hungary, Croatia, and Sicily. Young Iordanes soon to be nicknamed Panoptes was threatened by a rebellion in May of 1136 AD. This was the last time Ioannes would go to war. He led his own personal troops, as well as the household guard. The result was Manuel of Armeniocon, the rebel leader, surrendered quickly.
Emperor%20Iordanes_zpsgdo7cgdg.jpg

(Emperor Iordanes)

Doge Ioannes increasingly turned to religion in his old age. Ioannes built a secluded shrine behind the family manor, and spent large amounts of time there. In January of 1127 AD he joined the strict and ancient heresy of Iconoclasm. However, like his new wife, religion would not give him consolation. In his final years he continued searching for the lost chalice. The ornate chalice consumed him once again over the summer of 1137 AD. Ultimately, many blame this hunt for death. He contracted Consumption while searching in November, though he would live till July 1138 AD.
Chalice%20Hunt_zpsudtc4bur.jpg

(A final hunt for the Chalice)

And so, on July the 23rd in the year of our Lord 1138 Doge Ioannes, my beloved father joined our Lord in Heaven. And lo the Beast was set upon the world in his full power. I a poor sinner hid in this, the monastery of Agios Nikolaos for he was the Beast and I could do nothing but hide, and write this the Chronicle of The Beast.

-Petros Ouranos “The Chronicle of the Beast” Book 2, Chapter 2, Verse 1.

Chapter 3-1: Georgios ‘The Beast’

The Beast set forth, speaking the words of God fooling all but I. He made war upon the heathen Muslims on the first of April in the year of our Lord 1139. He fooled all saying Jesus spoke to him, but I knew it was the Fallen One who truly spoke. But no one would listen, and so the Beast prospered.

-Petros Ouranos “The Chronicle of the Beast” Chapter 2 Verse 5.

Georgios_zps6wp301ys.jpg

(Georgios)

The Myth of the Two Titans

Georgios is the most difficult and certainly the most well-known of the early Ouranos dynasty. Our understanding of Georgios is colored by the Chronicle of the Beast, written by Georgios’ brother Petros. As scholars we must seek to separate the truth of Georgios from the myth. Was he the spawn of Satan? No, but he was a slovenly, obese, envious, greedy, and cruel man. Georgios was a man who didn’t look to the future, instead seeking only glory for himself.
Georgios%20cynicism_zpsqykhqola.jpg

(Georgios’ Cynicism)

Finding the truth behind Georgios is incredibly difficult. Not only is his name obscured by his brother Petros, but by himself as well. Georgios wore religions like a coat. He continually converted from one heresy to another, whenever it suited him. He used it as a pretext to arrest people, giving them freedom when they paid him. Additionally, if our sources are to be believed he was almost constantly plotting to kill one person or another.
Emperor%20Iordanes_zpsjx603j6v.jpg

(Emperor Iordanes)

The second Titan of the middle 1100s was Emperor Iordanes. He drastically increased the Roman Empire. Seizing parts of Croatia, Sicily, and Alania. He defeated dozens of rebellions and an attack by both the Fatimids and Seljuks. He also blinded or castrated close to half the Doux of the realms. From this, he gained the name Iordanes Panoptes. Iordanes and Georgios would clash in two epic wars which would kill close to a dozen Douxs and one Doge.

Georgios’ Family

Georgios seems to have cared little for his children. Georgios ignored those, like his first born son Doux Ioannes of Cyrenaica, who were less useful. In fact, he would eventually capture Ioannes in battle and would keep him in his dungeon till Ioannes died. Others would die in battle, or as his spies to foreign courts.

Georgios was married to Heilwiva von Zahringen. She would give him 5 sons: Ioannes, Laurentios, Leon, Eugenios, and Michael. Heilwiva also had a daughter: Melissa. Later in his life, Georgios would remarry. Berchte von Wittelsbach would give Georgios a daughter: Konstantia. However, of his sons Ioannes would die in his father’s dungeon, Leon would die of blinding complications, and Eugenios would die in Pisa spying. Melissa would die in child birth. Additionally, Michael would be blinded after being caught in battle. Leaving Laurentios as Georgios’ only unscathed child, with Konstantia excepted, since she was only a child during Georgios’ lifetime.
Laurentios_zpsem7upw8y.jpg

(Laurentios)

Lord Mayor and the Lord’s War
Jesus%20advice_zpsirccubdy.jpg

(Jesus’ Advice)

On July 23rd, 1138 AD Staurakios of House Asidenos was elected Doge of Krete. This left Georgios angry and hungry for glory. Georgios’ military skill was unheard of. Chroniclers claimed he had Jesus giving him military advice on his left shoulder, and Satan giving advice on his right. In April 1139 AD he attacked the Suleimid dynasty, citing God’s will. By February of 1141 AD he had captured the Duchy of Cyrenaica. This was at least partly due to the strange, some reported pagan, women and their army which joined Georgios. Like many geniuses, Georgios would succeed with something, and then lose interest. In this case he gave the duchy to his son Ioannes. Ioannes was less than brilliant, and must have disappointed his father. He would tragically die in Georgios’ dungeon during the First Kretan War for Independence.
Holy%20War%20for%20Cyrenaica_zpsxc4ahffh.jpg

(Holy war for Cyrenaica)

To aid the Beast three witches and their unholy brood appeared, as if from Hell. As servants to the Beast they tore those who opposed the Beast into a multitude of limbs and gore. And shildren they would not spare. For they were of the Fallen One, and sang the Midnight Mass.

-Petros Ouranos “The Chronicle of the Beast” Chapter 2, Verse 12.
Georgios%20Strange%20Followers_zpsyi11j2kk.jpg

(Georgios’ Strange Followers)

In 1144 AD there is evidence that Lord Mayor Georgios had Doge Staurakios assassinated. While Staurakios may have been successfully killed, the plan failed if it was an attempt to make Georgios Doge. Instead Konstantios ‘The Gentle’ was elected Doge in October 1144 AD. Doge Konstantios sought to pacify Georgios by making him High Judge, it would fail.
Doge%20Konstantios_zpsspxsg3ht.jpg

(Doge Konstantios)

The famous quarrel between House Ouranos and Komnenos Doukas, recently depicted in a hit HBU television program, was started during Georgios’ life. Raphail of House Komnenos Doukas and Georgios of House Ouranos were the two instigators. They would trade insults, snub each other when throwing balls, and allegedly sabotage each other’s ships.
The%20start%20of%20a%20Feud_zps9zbwvvje.jpg

(The Start of a Feud)

The Dogeship

Georgios is also alleged to have killed Doge Konstantios ‘The Gentle’ of House Doukas Kamateros. One of his conspirators divulged the secret conspiracy. Konstantios, like his nickname would imply was not angry, dismissing it as a hazard of the job. Instead, Konstantios sought to co-opt Georgios by making him his Mystikos. Doge Konstantios was dead two months later in August 1148 AD.
Elected%20Doge_zpsmta0pkzd.jpg

(Elected Doge)

This time Georgios was elected Doge. He promptly attacked Doux Demetrios III of the Aegean Islands in November 1148AD. It would be four years of a relatively easy war for Doge Georgios. At the end, Naxos and Euboia were added to House Ouranos’ possessions in June of 1152 AD. Georgios’ expansion would continue, in February 1155 AD he attacked Doux Zenon of Cibyrrhaeot for the island of Rhodes. In January 1157 AD Georgios won the battle of Lebedos, bringing an end to the war. This would be the last expansion of Krete under Doge Georgios, but not the last war.

And thus, on October 31st in the year of our Lord 1148 the machinations of the Beast sent The Gentle Doge Konstantios to Paradise. And the Beast took power beyond belief, and plunged the world into war. The Beast would seize all within his grasp, but like all greedy children of man he sought to grasp too much.

Petros Ouranos “The Chronicle of the Beast” Chapter 3, Verse 2

I like the apocalyptic style of monk Petros concerning the now Doge Georgios Ouranos..I cannot help but comment on that glorious beard too!!

Looking forward to the further achievements under this devious Doge of Krete!! From what I have read it seems the Aegean is pretty much under the grasp of the Cretan Republic.. :)