• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheWalttu

First Lieutenant
46 Badges
Aug 10, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Current setup for reference:
20170411174807_1.jpg
Map of France 1477:
624a3fa57afdecd51c86910e305439ba.png
France in Crusader Kings II:
K_france.png
When compared to other neighbouring regions, northern half of France has a rather large provinces, whose sizes are not easily matched in Western Europe.
I've always found this to be little odd, as France is the most populous region of Europe in this timeframe and there is not exactly lack of sources when it comes to French history.
Large provinces cause long marching times and bordergore, while high development gives high coring costs and discourages to develope the provinces any further, so the provinces ought to be divided.

Crusader Kings II models France well and I'd suggest to add a couple of provinces in a similiar fashion:
- Troyes, splitted from Nemours
- Blois, created from central part of Orleans
- Touraine, created from western part of Orleans and southeastern part of Anjou
- Foix, from southern part of Toulouse
- Chartes, western part of Paris
- Evreux, between Caux and Normandie
- Thouars, from northern half of Saintogne and a small fraction of Poitou
- Gevaudan / Velay, from northern half of Languedoc
( Overall development can be left unchanged )

Proposed map:
ranskan_provinssit.jpg
So in conclusion it's just a whole load of new provinces.
However if accompanied with suggestions from this thread " https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-event-chains-important.980665/#post-22063324 " , France would be very intresting in early game.

Upvote 0
I really hope France and other regions in Europe get a redrawal like patch 1.23 does for the Middle East.

That, or India.

I really like the first suggestion, even if I would have some minor adjustments.

A bit more overboard than you suggested but this is what I changed to France (keeping the overall base tax the same in each country):

3IZR06T.jpg

New Provinces:
- Rennais (Brittany)
- Contentin (Normandie)
- Channel Islands (Normandie)
- Valois (Champagne, historically an exclave of Orleanais)
- Troyes (Champagne)
- Blois (Orleanais)
- Chatres (aka Beauce area)
- Touraine (core of Provence)
- Vendee
- Comminges (capital of foix)
- Velay (northern Languedoc)
- Valentois (western Dauphine)
- Forez (eastern Auvergne)
- Chalons (Burgundy)
This one highly confuses me however.

I agree with redrawing Britanny, but I wouldn't have chose Tregor which is quite small and less populated than others. Choice have to be made because you can't make the 9 provinces there historically were, but my take would have been Cornouaille, Leon/Tregor grouped together, Vannetais, Nantais, St-Brieuc/St-Malo/Dol, and Rennais.
Cotentin is solely a geographical entity, I'd like to have one evidence of a county or duchy of Cotentin. You may split it but definitely not call it Cotentin imo. I would rather get inspired by that to draw borders
Vendée is also a modern name, it was Bas-Poitou historically.
Médoc is also totally ahistorical and the geographical region is about 5% of the size of the province. It is definitely Bordelais historically, as in the game.
Foix and Comminges have always been separated entities, so having Comminges with Foix as its capital is rather weird, but I agree that there should be a province there.
Velay is a lot smaller and part of Auvergne. I would suggest Gévaudan for north of Languedoc.
Also Narbonne has never been that big of a part of Languedoc, it has always been a smaller and less influential part than the side centered around Montpellier.
I think you wanted to say Valentinois instead of Valentois.
I wholeheartedly agree with Forez however.

Which sources did you use?

Last edited:
TBH, this was one of my first map changes and I've learned a bunch since then, would love to revisit France at some point as I know I can do some stuff better
I agree with redrawing Britanny, but I wouldn't have chose Tregor which is quite small and less populated than others. Choice have to be made because you can't make the 9 provinces there historically were, but my take would have been Cornouaille, Leon/Tregor grouped together, Vannetais, Nantais, St-Brieuc/St-Malo/Dol, and Rennais.
I actually used the modern counties when I first drew the map and only found out that the historical counties are different after. As Cornouaille is such a weird shape I decided to keep the current borders as is and just change the names.
Cotentin is solely a geographical entity, I'd like to have one evidence of a county or duchy of Cotentin. You may split it but definitely not call it Cotentin imo. I would rather get inspired by that to draw borders
The thing is that we are talking about provinces not counies. There was never a count of Kamchatka or count of the Western Isles, but they are represented in game with the names of geographical features instead. However, I had never seen the map you provided (hence why I went with that as the only subdivision of Normandy I could find was everux) which does give me lots of possibilities on how to improve it :)
Vendée is also a modern name, it was Bas-Poitou historically.
Ugh that is such an ugly name though, I hate it went provinces are called "West someting" or "Upper something" it just looks ugly. May change it to Fontenay though if that was an important city.
Médoc is also totally ahistorical and the geographical region is about 5% of the size of the province. It is definitely Bordelais historically, as in the game.
I think its just called Bordeaux in game no? Bordelais is a much better name though (I stuck with medoc so I could get away from just calling provinces after the biggest city in them, but after redrawing most of the world at this point I have pretty much given up on that lol)
Foix and Comminges have always been separated entities, so having Comminges with Foix as its capital is rather weird, but I agree that there should be a province there.
When I created the map change originally it had all the vassals still and I wanted to stay away from the vassal just being named after a province
Velay is a lot smaller and part of Auvergne. I would suggest Gévaudan for north of Languedoc.
I was actually suggested to add Velay in a different thread, originally it and Languedoc were one big province...
Also Narbonne has never been that big of a part of Languedoc, it has always been a smaller and less influential part than the side centered around Montpellier.
The whole point of this mod though was to make all the provinces similar sizes. I didnt want lots of tiny ones, so I expanded Narbonne to cover more area (especially as it was pretty much the only thing of value in that area)
I think you wanted to say Valentinois instead of Valentois.
Indeed I did, changed it just after I posted the image lol
Which sources did you use?
A mix of a different thread (was in the modding section) and this

If you have the time and want to help, I would love to know what your version of France would be. I dont mind modding it all in if you hit me up with the relevant maps and describe what provinces you want (maybe accompanied by a rough paint.net map?) :) I don't want to add many more than I already have but I wouldn't complain at a couple more, and you obviously know the area a lot better than me!

That left me thinking for the last hours and I tried to check for more accurate datas. I mainly used these maps as reference:

Provinces_of_France.png

Modern day France right before the Revolution. I'll explain all the numbers when we come to them.

800px-Map_France_1477-fr_sovereign_B%C3%A9arn.svg.png

1477 France

Map_France_1180-fr.svg

1180 France

Map_France_1030-fr.svg

1030 France

As Britanny, Guyenne/Gasconny and Normandy are too big historically, I tried to find subdivisions. I failed to do so for Champagne however.
Bretagne-broiou3-fr.png

1280px-Provinceecclesiastiquedenormandie_avant1802.png

Religious map only, so not entirely accurate, especially for the names of the areas.

1920px-Carte_de_la_Guyenne.svg.png

18th century Guyenne. Everything south of that and west of Toulouse is Gasconny, more or less.

So, why these maps, and especially the old ones.

The fact is that there are too many small counties in France with a significant historical importance. The real question is which one should be kept, which ones should be fusioned into a provi
nce, and in that case which counties should be grouped together. That's where history plays a part and that's what I tried to think about.

The issue is also that most of France was stable after the end of the HYW, so there are less maps and less movement, and Middle Ages maps allow us to draw better lines, especially in the West.

So here is what I came with. This is NOT what I want to see implemented in the game as there are too many provinces (even if Korea or Japan have this kind of density in some place actually). But it's something I want to use as a tool, and the real question is more "which of these provinces can we group with another one, and with which one". I draw badly, even on paint, so there are some really ugly looking provinces. What matters is the idea, not the exact borders.

rGHSYMK.jpg

So I'll try to go region by region and number by number.

Britanny

Historically Britanny was split between 9 provinces. There can't be 9 in the game, but I think that there should probably be a bit more, and if 4 provinces are chosen this can't be the 4 in the game for sure, or at least they need to be slighlty redrawn.
The reason behind current map is quite clear, this is almost exactly the modern subdivision of Britanny, which is split between 5 French provinces: Finistère, Morbihan, Côtes d'Armor, Loire-Atlantique and Ille-et-Vilaine. Ille-et-Vilaine was simply split between Armor and Loire-Atlantique (Nantes) to make the EUIV map. That's an issue for a major reason:
Britanny is culturally split between the Armor and the Argoat/Arcoat/Arcoët, pretty much like Japan, it's the difference between the coast with fishing as the historical resource, and the inland with agriculture as the historical resource. Modern day Britanny is still known for Fishing, especially in Finistère, and its ports (Lorient, Brest), but at the same time for the agriculture and especially Pig farming. Rennes clearly belongs to Argoat, it's one of the cities the furthest from the sea, and having it as capital of Armor always bugs me completely when I think of it. What's called Armor/Côtes d'Armor in France is different from what Armor represented in Britanny (and still represents), it's probably a misunderstanding which remained.
The other historical opposition in Britanny is between West and East. East was under heavy French influence, with big cities and a clear feudal structure, and people talking French from pretty early. It's centered around Nantes and Rennes. West remained Celtic for longer, and this is still the area where you could find the most old people who were raised in Briton and not in French. These areas are called Basse-Bretagne (Breizh Izel) in the west and Haute-Bretagne (Breizh Uhel) in the east.

Dialectes_Breton.png

To go back to the first map I gave, Cornouaille, Léon and Trégor were clearly part of the West, and Rennes and Nantes of the East. Vannes and St-Brieuc/St-Malo are more of a middleground. That's also why having a part of Trégor under Rennes seems wrong. Also, as you can see from that, modern Finistère cuts Cornouaille and Trégor, the province historically makes no sense.
So, even if 4 provinces were to remain, I think "Finistère" should be pushed slightly further east, and "Armor" should have a new name.

Bretagne-broiou3-fr.png

I still think there is space for 6 provinces, as I drew them.
9UMQJSs.png

1: Léon/Tregor (Leon/Dreger), even if it's hard to chose a name between the two. Leon already exists in Spain, so maybe Tregor, but Leon is probably a bit more populated over the timeframe and definitely is today. Historically, the main cities are Tréguier in Tregor and St-Pol de Léon in Léon, but the capital should definitely be Brest which rose over the timeframe until it became a major City.
2: Cornouaille (Kerne, Kernev, Gerne, Gernev) is almost the same than the English Cornwall (Cornouailles in French), which is another issue because of those goddamn Celts spreading similar names all around Europe. But anyway, it's undoubtedly a major part of Britanny and it deserves its province, centered on Quimper (Kemper for the localized name).
3: Le Pays Vannetais (Wened, Gwened) was historically a bit smaller than it is in the game, but it also makes sense. Vannes was its capital, and Lorient rose as the French made it a major port (like Brest). Vannes still seems like the best capital and should be the name of the province imo, as Vannetais is an adjective meaning "from Vannes" and "Pays Vannetais" is too long.
4: Here are the remnants of Armor. The name is more dubious, as the heart of it is clearly located "Armor" around St-Brieuc (Sant Brieg) and Saint-Malo (Sant Malo) but it goes far down south. It should also include Dol imo so that Rennes does NOT have a port, both for balance and for historical accuracy (not clear on my map).
5: Rennes, landlocked, pretty sel expalantory, the exact borders of Pays Rennais.
6: Nantes, same here, the capital of historical Britanny.
There should probably be some rewriting of resources as well. Just like that I'd say Naval Supply in 1 and 3, Fish in 2 and 4, Cattle in 5 and Salt in 6, but that's also based on modern industry. And no fort in the west, as it was the most backwater part until pretty late.

Normandy and Maine
The issue with Normandy is that it was a united entity from very early. There is a difference between the area of Rouen/Le Havre, centered around the Seine (Haute-Normandie, Caux in the game), which is basically totally worthy of its status of trade province in the game and the area of Caen (Basse-Normandie, Normandie in game), but it's not really based on historical entities, expect that Haute-Normandie is more or less the territory originally given to the Normands and Rollo/Rollon by the King of France, and Basse-Normandie is more or less the territory they conquered (but it's before 1000). That's why I quite like the opposition present in game. If Basse-Normandie (Normandie in game) was to be split to make it smaller, it should be based on what I drew, but it has no historical ground. I would not do it, I just give the option.
Overall I struggle to find good names there because there was no signficant county besides Alençon and all the major cities were under the Duke (Eu is another county but it was always been on the far north-east of Normandy and could not fit for Rouen).
Alençon, therefore, is the only really good choice to split Normandy, but it's WAY too big in the game (just look at the 1477 map!) and it extends too far south into Maine in game, probably to make the province more clickable. It would be better to make it extend further north inside Normandy, so that at least it stays within its historical region. Or to have it small, it isn't smaller than Calais on my map. That would allow for a better-shaped Maine.

1280px-Provinceecclesiastiquedenormandie_avant1802.png

Sbz9qxz.png

7: Coutances+Avranches would make sense if (and I'm not convinced) there should be a province there, as it's the part of Normandy that looks more towards Britanny than towards England and has historically been contested to a certain extent. Avranches was the biggest city there.
8 : It's basically Caen or Basse-Normandie for me, with Caen as its capital. It covers Bayeux and Lisieux in my map.
9 : It's basically Rouen or Haute-Normandie. Caux is a geographical entity that does NOT include Rouen, the capital of the province. That's problematic even if the Paradoxian attempt to find a better name is appreciated. The province covers Rouen and Evreux in my map.
10 : It would be more or less be Sées on the map, and should be called Alençon as it was the name of the Duchy and the biggest city.
11 : Maine is one of the most consistent areas of France. It has the same name and the same borders on all the maps I found, its capital is obviously Le Mans. I would just fix the borders because it's smaller in the game (because of Alençon as I said).

Around the Loire
Let's focus on the provinces around the river Loire. As pretty much everyone noticed, Orléanais is awfully and ahistorically big, and Touraine is missing while it was super rich and important for the entirety of the French history. Same goes for Blois. Time to look at the historical maps.
Provinces_of_France.png

15 is Anjou, 22 is Touraine and 3 is Orléanais (which includes Blois).

Anjou, Touraine, Blois and Orléans with the borders I tried to gave them.
Map_France_1180-fr.svg

Anjou, Touraine, Blois and Orléans with fairly obvious borders.
Map_France_1030-fr.svg

Touraine is split between Anjou and Blois here, but we clearly see the border between Blois and Orléanais.

So, it seems that there is no doubt:

LSP0Aoc.png

12 : Anjou, slightly redrawn to make some room for Touraine. Angers as the capital.
13 : Touraine, Tours as the capital.
14 : Blois, Blois as the capital.
15 : Orléanais, Orléans as the capital. As for the border on the East, it seems that Orléans borders Nevers on all the maps I found because it includes that small and ugly snake called Sancerre, or at least the Northern part of it, more often than not (and it definitely does in the most important map, the first one, which was used during the main part of the EU4 timeframe). It also makes Nemours smaller, which makes sense as Nemours is historically a lot smaller than on the EU4 map (but we'll talk about that).

The Crownlands
The domain of the French king varied, but as Orléans fell into the hands of the Cadet Branch, it was left with the province 1 on this map:
Provinces_of_France.png

1024px-Carte_de_l%27Ile_de_France.svg.png

18th century map of the Crownlands.

It includes modern-day Ile de France, the region of Paris and the EU4 province of Paris which all cover more or less the same borders, and the area of Vermandois, which was the home of the Valois before they became king of France, and thus came into the hands of the French crown from a different way. That's why on the 2 older maps you see it called "Comté de Vermandois" and "Comté de Valois" and it is not a part of the Crownlands yet (Capet still rule), and on the third one it is still called "Duché de Valois" and took a good half of the "Comté de Vermandois", even if Valois now rule. Splitting it makes sense and I agree with that area.
However, we see on both the maps that the ingame province of Paris goes too far west and that a province is probably missing there. It was part of the Crownlands on many occasions, but I think Paris is too big a province anyway.

q2MONEs.png

16: It would be Chartres, probably. It's the province I'd add.
17: Paris/Seine/Ile de France all make sense as names, Paris the capital, and the capital of France (no joke).
18: Vermandois as in game or Valois, which may be better in the EU4 timeframe (Vermandois is more of a CK2 thing as we can see on the maps, and huge parts of historical Vermandois were controlled by Burgundy and are part of Cambray or Picardie on game start). I'm not convinced with Compiègne as the capital however. Clermont, Compiègne and Soissons also have importance in the EU4 timeframe. Crépy-en-Valois was the head of the Valois duchy, but it was less relevant.

Champagne
I really don't like it but I found literally nothing to split Champagne in the EU4 timeframe. Historically, it seems (I don't know anything about this part of France, probably the one I know the less about) that it is composed of 3 parts, the county of Meaux (east of Paris), the county of Troyes, and the Bishop of Reims. We see in 1030 that Champagne is still split between Meaux and Troyes even if they have the same ruler, and Reims still is independant from Champagne on the second oldest map. These 3 regions could not have 3 provinces imo, so I left free to group Meaux with Troyes, as in the Middle Ages, or with Reims. The Paradox decision was to group the Duchy of Nemours with the Troyes part of Champagne and call it Nemours, this seems outright wrong for me, as Troyes was the historical capital of Champagne and had never anything to do with Nemours. That's why I made Nemours smaller, and cut the bigger Champagne in 2 part, for Reims and Troyes. That leaves us with the question of where to put the center of trade.

uoGHtpk.png

19: I would call it Reims as it was historically independant from Champagne if it does not include Meaux. Else it could be called Champagne, but I still think Champagne fits the Troyes part better, judging from the Middle Ages maps.
20: Champagne, and I am more and more thinking that it should include Meaux (the fareastern part of Paris province, the little 19/20, which could be even smaller). Troyes as the capital
21 : Nemours, a lot smaller, which then looks a lot more like the 1477 map.

That leaves us with an unsatisfying spot around the Counties of Auxerre and Tonnerre which I split between Nemours, Bourgogne and Nevers as Paradox did because I lack the exact knowledge of the situation in 1444. I know it was some kind of Maine of the french-burgundian relations. It was officially French but held by Burgundy until the death of Charles le Téméraire (BI). It could be the beginning of an idea to split the Bourgogne province but I lack sufficient data for 1444 so I ignored that and left it untouched. A 1477 map does not say anything about 1444 for such a contested area.

Split because too many pictures.

Last edited:
Part 2 because too many pictures

The west of France, or redrawing Saintonge, Poitou and Bergerac
I grouped these because I think this is one of the worst areas, and it is contiguous (even if they are part of different historical regions, which is exactly why it is one of the worst areas, it ignores these regions). Let's see how it looked through the Ages.

Map_France_1030-fr.svg

1030: A big Poitou north, then from West to east Saintonge, Angoulême and Périgord.

Map_France_1180-fr.svg

1180: A big Poitou, then Saintonge, Angoulême and Périgord. Small Aunis on the west.

1477: A big Poitou, Saintonge, Angoulême and Périgord, small Aunis on the West.

Provinces_of_France.png

EU4 era: 11 is big Poitou, 9 is small Aunis, 10 is Saintonge, 17 is Angoulême, Périgord is part of 12 (Aquitaine, Gascony+Guyenne).

I may be blind, but it seems to me there are several entities from 1000 to 1800.
Poitou, which includes EU4 Poitou and the northern part of EU4 Saintonge in literally EVERY screenshot (Saintonge literally never was there and Poitou literally always was there).
Small Aunis (La Rochelle), too small to be included. Either grouped with Saintonge or with the western part of Poitou.
Saintonge, a lot smaller than on the EU4 map.
Angoulême, on the south of Poitou and the north of Bergerac.
Périgord, which includes the town of Bergerac, which was never an historical province as the county including Bergerac was called County of Périgord on every map and centered on Périgueux (and had slightly different borders).

QlDdXR7.png

23: Historically Bas-Poitou, even if today called Vendée.
Bas-Poitou_dans_le_Poitou.png

24: Historically Haut Poitou. The provinces might be grouped as one big Poitou (which would extend further west but less to the south than EU4 Poitou), or split in half. Poitou was always unfied back from around 1000, but splitting the province could make sense to balance it with other smaller provinces.
25: Real Saintonge, which could include La Rochelle as its capital, even if La Rochelle was part of Aunis.
26: Angoulême
27: Périgord

A point could be made for these provinces being too small, La Rochelle could be move with Bas Poitou and Saintonge grouped with Angoulême instead (Charente then), and Périgord grouped with a province south of it because on the most recent map Périgord is part of Gascony+Guyenne (even if it is the first time it is grouped with Gascony). Or even, there could be one province LESS but a more accurate depiction of the region with Poitou + Aunis as a big northern province, and Saintonge, Angoulême and Périgord as big southern province.

Oh, and the area being called Guyenne makes no sense at all. That is Guyenne, with Bordeaux as its capital, and if you expand it that's further south towards Gasconny, not further north towards Poitou.

Guyenne
Here we have a similar issue. I'll explain my redrawn borders and compare them with the EU4 ones.

pdrDtgP.png

28 and 29 are untouched, they make perfect sense as they are the French and Basque speaking part of the English possessions there. Bordeaux could be renamed Bordelais however, as it became a noun and not only an adjective (Rennais is only an adjective, Bordelais has the same construction meaning "from X" but you can say "Le Bordelais" to talk about the area while you have to say "Le Pays Rennais", which is why I think that Rennes is better than Rennais, and Bordelais better than Bordeaux).

Quercy and Agenais are the two parts of the EU4 province of Cahors (the capital of Quercy) but that's an issue to me. Both in 1030 and 1180 do we see that Agenais is under the influence of Bordeaux/Gasconny and Quercy is under the influence of Toulouse/Occitanie. Quercy comes into Guyenne with Rouergue/Rodez, while Agenais has always been there. If the provinces are too small, Quercy should be grouped with Rouergue, and Agenais with either Périgord or Armagnac (left untouched). Else, they should be split.

This gives us:
30: Agenais, capital Agen potentially grouped with Périgord or Armagnac
31: Armagnac, capital Auch (untouched)
35: Quercy, capital Cahors, potentially grouped with Rouergue.
36: Rouergue, capital Rodez, left untouched. It was called Rodez in the EU4 era, Rouergue is the CK2 name, but I understand that having another name is better, and that's not confusing at all as it has the exact same borders.

Around Toulouse/The Southwest

Here is the map I used for the southernmost French provinces. We clearly see that south of Armagnac and Toulouse, there are several small counties. EU4 represents that with Béarn that covers Béarn, Bigorre and Comminges and from which Foix can be released, and Toulouse which goes south towards Foix. Yup, Foix can be released from a province which does not include the city or any part of the historical county. I would thus create another province, Foix, which covers Foix and Comminges, and from which Foix can be released.

pcSzEgv.png

32: Béarn, a bit smaller, still Pau as capital.
33: Foix created from east of Béarn and south of Toulouse. I think Toulouse should keep a border with Roussillon. Foix obviously releasable from that province only.
34: Toulouse without its southern part.
37: Narbonne left untouched

Provinces_of_France.png

The need of 2 provinces needed south of Toulouse is made obvious with the 1789 map. 24 is Foix and 26 is Béarn, expanding them into Aquitaine(12) seems like it would make more sense from a balance perspective and would allow for a better map.

Languedoc and Auvergne

rBfYBco.png

38: Languedoc
39: Velay
40: Gévaudan
41: Auvergne

I think there is an issue with the maps there. Gévaudan is a part of Languedoc today, it was part of Languedoc for the entirety of the timeframe but it's clearly part of Auvergne on the EU4 map. Velay is a more complex issue, it's part of Languedoc historically but it shifted closer from Auvergne in the EU4 era and today it is part of the same region under the name Haute-Loire while Gévaudan is part of Languedoc under the name Lozère.

I don't think Velay and Gévaudan are needed, but Gévaudan has no reason to be part of Auvergne. As putting it in Languedoc would make the province way too big, I think Gévaudan and Velay should appear as one province (Vivarais, Cévennes?) or two provinces to make Languedoc smaller.

Center south

8lMig80.png

22: Berry has a wrong number and that's the only interesting thing. I'm happy with how it is in game except a minor border adjustment so that Orléanais has a border with Nevers (cf. Orléanais).
44: Bourbon is perfect

However I would split Limousin in two, between 42 Limousin (Limoges) and 43 La Marche (Guéret) if more provinces are needed, as La Marche was always a different entity. We see that in the medieval maps, but also on the pre-Revolution map:
Provinces_of_France.png

19 is La Marche, and 23 is Limousin, still split here.

The Southeast
Overall it is better than I initially thought, especially considering that borders move a lot there. I split Lyonnais into its 3 historical parts as it doesn't make a lot of sense in the beginning of the era (but they were grouped at the end, so well).

wGV67CR.png

45 is Forez (Feurs), 46 is Beaujolais (Beaujeu), 47 is the historical Lyonnais and I left Dauphiné as it stands (48, capital Grenoble). I think 45 and 46 might be grouped under the name Forez based on the 1477 map and Lyon left alone and keep the Center of Trade.

As it took me 7 hours, I don't want that to be lost in the case of a French update. So I don't want to imply that it's perfect by any mean and there are still mistakes and debatable points (I am no historian), but @Trin Tragula could still have a look if he has some time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Sfan outstanding post! Really good suggestion, you laid a thoughtful framework for the devs, I hope they see it!

Vermandois should indeed be edited. It was under Burgundian control, but its placement on the map is strange, as is it's provincial capital (Compiegne). It could be Saint-Quentin, but its placement on the map should be edited.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As it took me 7 hours, I don't want that to be lost in the case of a French update. So I don't want to imply that it's perfect by any mean and there are still mistakes and debatable points (I am no historian), but @Trin Tragula could still have a look if he has some time.

As far as I read most suggestions focus on old maps, say 1000-1500 AD. But why we don't look at 1450-1800 period as a whole? Maybe we could find some "modern" provinces which beg to be included.

france_gouvernements_1789.jpg

Now say I take a look on France map 1789 and I find some veery obvious provinces which are missing in EUIV.
1. Touraine. With it's old capital of France Tours, hard to believe it's still missing in EUIV.
2. Foix. Split from Toulouse province.
3. Marche. Split from Limousin province.
4. La Rochelle. Important historical port of France. Basically 3 provinces focusing on cities of Poitiers, Saintes & La Rochelle to be made out of 2 Poitou & Saintonge provinces.
5. Evreux. As of now Upper Normandy is represented by just 1 province, yet it was more rich, important & populous compared to it's brother Lower Normandy which is represented by 2 provinces. And overall just 3 provinces for all of Normandy is not adequate at all.

These are 5 most obvious missing provinces to me. But I'll take a look for more (Champagne, Nemours, Languedoc regions).
Also France is missing at least few more cultures. And with those created maybe it would be easier to see which culture needs more provinces for justified representation (potential culture maps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_France )

Last edited:
Well I've included both 1477 and 1789. Your 1789 map is a lot nicer than mine however, but they have the exact same borders (yours was probably the basis for mine now that I think of it). I explained that I included older maps only to know what to split/group.

1. When has Tours been capital of France? It has been the seat of the Kings, but I don't think we could call it capital. Everyone agrees with Touraine being needed however.
2 and 3 I wholeheartedly agree with.
4 would be called Aunis as it has been the name of the province since the 14th century, but I think it's too small. Still to be debated.
5. Why not, just be careful that it isn't too small.

Also, culture is NOT language. But yes, culture should be revamped.

La Rochelle definetely needs a province, though.

It was THE bastion of the Huegenots and one of the largest cities of France before it came under siege.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well I've included both 1477 and 1789. Your 1789 map is a lot nicer than mine however, but they have the exact same borders (yours was probably the basis for mine now that I think of it). I explained that I included older maps only to know what to split/group.

1. When has Tours been capital of France? It has been the seat of the Kings, but I don't think we could call it capital. Everyone agrees with Touraine being needed however.
2 and 3 I wholeheartedly agree with.
4 would be called Aunis as it has been the name of the province since the 14th century, but I think it's too small. Still to be debated.
5. Why not, just be careful that it isn't too small.

Also, culture is NOT language. But yes, culture should be revamped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rochelle - with this rich history, especially as it touches exactly EUIV gameplay period, La Rochelle is absoulute must to be created. It can be merged with what is Bas-Poitou in your map as it lacks history of such significance.

That culture is not the same as language sure I understand, but that map is still brilliant. It's easier to see possible areas (states) more clearly using it. Say I would group France into such regions:
1. Brittany. Breton culture (Breton+Gallo languages acc. map). 5 provinces would be perfect I think.
2. Normandy. Norman culture (Normand+Cauchois languages acc. map). 5 provinces would be perfect aswell I think.
3. Seine. Modern Paris & Champagne areas more or less. Francien culture (Parisien+Champenois languages acc. map). 5 provinces would be perfect.
4. Loire. Modern Centre & inland Loire areas. Francien culture (Angevin+Tourangeau+Berrichon+Orleanais languages acc. map). 5 provinces would be perfect.
5. Poitou. Modern Poitou-Charentes region & Vendee department areas. Poitevin(?) culture (Poitevin+Saintongeais languages acc. map). 3-4 provinces.
6. Picardy. Modern Picardy and Pas-de-Calais department more or less. Picard culture. 4 provinces (Picardy+Vermandois+Calais+Arras).
7. Flanders. Belgian Flanders + Nord department of France. Flemish culture. 3 provinces (2 belgian ones with 3rd "French Flanders" province created).
8. Gascony. Same provinces as now in game. Gascon culture. 3-4 provinces.
9-10. Guyenne / Languedoc. Occitan culture (Languedocien language acc. map). This is the least clear region to me. Historical Guyenne would seem very small while Languedoc huge. In general I would like to cut Toulouse from Languedoc and add it to Guyenne, but that wouldn't be historically accurate. At least 8 provinces there.
11. Auvergne & Limousin. Modern Limousin & Auvergne area more or less. Bourbon(?) culture (Limousin+Auvergnat+Bourbonnais languages acc. map). 4-5 provinces. Some explanation - most of Limousin & Auvergne were at rule of House of Bourbon, so maybe Bourbon culture would be appropriate. Otherwise occitan culture in most provinces.
12. Provence. Provencal culture. I would add Nice there I think and that would make 4 provinces.
13. Rhone. New culture (no idea how to call it, but that would correspond to lyonnais, douphinois, savoyard, jurassien, romand languages acc. map). Would make this are out of 5 provinces already in game - Lyon, Dauphine, Savoy, Vaud & Wallis.
14. Burgundy. Burgundian culture. Same provinces as already in game. But 5 provinces would make this region more perfect I think.
15. Alsace. Swabian culture. Alsace+Baden areas. 4 provinces.
16. Lorraine. Lorrain(?) or burgundian culture (lorrain+francique langueges acc. map). Same provinces as now, but I would also include Luxembourg province which has much more in common to be here rather than in Wallonia.
17. Wallonia. Wallonian culture. 4 provinces - Liege, Hainaut, Cambray, Namur.
18. Brabant. Brabant, Antwerpen, Loon, Limburg, Breda provinces.
19. Netherlands. Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Gelre, Friesland provinces.

(even if Korea or Japan have this kind of density in some place actually)

EU4's map projection makes Korea and Japan smaller, and Europe bigger, than they are in reality. If you scaled them more accurately (not that I think they should be- there's good gameplay reasons for Europe to be bigger) then their provinces would be on the large size for Europe, especially considering Japan was more populous than any European kingdom, and Korea more populous than any aside from France. Plus, even unscaled there are denser parts of Europe.

Not saying anything should be changed, I'm pretty happy with the Korean and Japanese provinces now. But I'm not sure why you decided to single them out.

Anyway I like your argument otherwise, nice post, and I would definitely like to see France touched up.

I just meant it in term of "clickability" of the province for gameplay reasons, not as historical accuracy. It's just that Korea and Japan strike me as the two areas with the less clickable provinces (except maybe the small ports given to the Europeans in China).

There's a chance that the new immersion pack will be centered around France. Let's hope the developers saw the suggestions in this thread, if that's the case!

Bumping the thread to let everyone know that the update for France looks amazing! @Sfan a great deal of your suggestion made it in, one way or another!

Only gripe I have with the new map is the naming of Armor and Finistere as well as still no Foix province.

Last edited:
I think this thread had an important influence, i'm quite satisfied with the result (even if the Lyon and Toulouse region could be more detailed to my mind and England will have more province added than France :mad:)
We'll see what that'll produce in multiplayer (OP Great Britain, crappy Spain ?...)

God, I still think it looks so ugly (That loire basin provinces lmao). I still don't understand why the west coast has such small provinces, but Northern France (where most of the development should be) has giant ones. So disappointing imo

God, I still think it looks so ugly (That loire basin provinces lmao). I still don't understand why the west coast has such small provinces, but Northern France (where most of the development should be) has giant ones. So disappointing imo

I can agree with this, I think it looks a bit weird Northern France / Flanders should have been split further. Also a personal gripe is the province between loon and aachen has a complete straight line then seems to have a 90 degree corner.

Still though, it's a lot better than it was previously.

I can agree with this, I think it looks a bit weird Northern France / Flanders should have been split further. Also a personal gripe is the province between loon and aachen has a complete straight line then seems to have a 90 degree corner.

Still though, it's a lot better than it was previously.

Much better than nothing for France, but seeing how much it was done for Ireland, Scotland & England, it feels like french lands got the slightest touch. There could be some 5 more new provinces easily. Say 1 more province in Normandy, split of Limousin, Toulouse as very obvious choices.
And not splitting Flanders with so many splits around is just hilarous.

Much better than nothing for France, but seeing how much it was done for Ireland, Scotland & England, it feels like french lands got the slightest touch. There could be some 5 more new provinces easily. Say 1 more province in Normandy, split of Limousin, Toulouse as very obvious choices.
And not splitting Flanders with so many splits around is just hilarous.

Flanders was supposed to be the most populous place in Europe if I remember right, would make much more sence to have smaller provinces there with fairly high dev which can be further developed. I thought Dauphine, draguignan and provence could have been touched too, they're quite big and ugly.