• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ajsieg

First Lieutenant
40 Badges
Sep 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
So this week I have SIX Colonial Nations because I wanted to get all of them done. Three of them are new formable tags for the Alaska and California Colonial Regions. They're California, Oregon, and Alaska. Hopefully adding these tags would be possible because it will add flavor for a region not really loved by anyone.
Forgive me if the descriptions aren't that good. Writing six of them is a lot of work. But here you go!

UPCA Ideas:

Traditions:

• Local Unrest: -1
  • Culture Conversion Cost: -25%
Ideas:

• Land Of Many Nations: We are a combination of many little countries that share our beliefs and traditions. This leads us to have an efficient way to incorporate lands into our country. Core Creation Cost: -10%
  • Remove Pagan Ways: The Indians have always been misguided in their ways of worship and this needs to stop. This does nothing for our country. If they resist, we will get rid of them. It’s time they learn the true God. Missionary Strength: +2%

• Mayan Jungle: The land we control is filled with dense jungle. Harboring disease and creatures that could kill a soldier. This jungle will make it hard for armies to invade us and we can better hold against our enemies. Attrition For Enemies: +1

• Our Cultural Brethren: The People who colonized us had colonized much of the area around us. After these countries broke independence, they still follow their old Traditions. Since we are free, we can join together with our brethren and fight against the common foe. Diplomatic Relations: +1

• Remove Faction Dispute: The UPCA is a group of countries united under one government. But problems stem from factions trying to benefit themselves and this has led to many civil wars. So we’re going to end it. No faction is going to be influential over the others. This will stabilize our government and will make everybody happy. Republican Tradition: +.5

• Access to Caribbean: The Caribbean has been grabbed by the Europeans. But many people travel here for loot and become a pirate. But these people are skilled in many things. If we persuade them to come to our court, then they can have a use. Possible Advisors: +1

• Ports on Both Sides: Our territory connects the Pacific and the Atlantic. This advantage lets us move trade into the Caribbean and then off to the Caribbean and beyond. I we expand that policy, then more wealth can be moved thru and we will get more money in our coffers. Trade Range: +25%
Ambition:

• Production Efficiency: +10%
Louisiana Ideas:

Traditions:

• National Trade Power: +10%
  • Infantry Cost: -10%
Ideas:

• Establish Inland Forts: Our territory is very expansive. Swaths of plains cover many lengths. Establishing Forts in strategic areas will help establish communication in our lands and lead tp easier defending of our territory. Fort Maintenace: -15% / Garrison Growth: +10%

• Expand the Frontier: The Greats Plains lie open for anybody to come in. So why don’t we claim these lands and expand our borders to encompass these flat lands. Colonist: +1

• New Orleans: Our Capital is the center for everything. It’s an imprint of our overlords culture and is the center of Southern American trade. If we continue to establish this city, then we can revel in its glory. Diplomatic Reputation: +1

• Mississippi River: This major river flows through most of our territory. Goods and Supplies travel down the river to their destination. Having cities on the river will strengthen the Trade on the river and will increase New World trade. Provincial Trade Power: +10%

• Establish New Cities: Since our land is virtually empty, we don’t get much money off of it. Establish towns in strategic areas and in fertile areas will increase our wealth and help our administration control the realm. Development Cost: -10%
  • Leave the Indians in Peace: Since our land is so huge, we don’t have the time to worry about the Indians. They still need to follow God, but if their traditions don’t mess with our God, then they are able to live in peace. Accepted Culture Threshold: -10%

• Negotiate With the Europeans: The Europeans are always a source of power. But they also provide something else. Allies. Let’s send our Diplomats across the ocean and negotiate with them to obtain alliances and to have them recognize us as a nation. Better Relations Over Time: +15%
Ambition:

• Envoy Travel Time: -20%

Californian Ideas:

Traditions:

• Army Leader Fire: +1
  • Yearly Inflation Reduction: -.1 Yearly
Ideas:

• Californian Gold Mines: The gold mines in California has constantly supplied us with settlers. If our diplomats were to gift a sample of our gold during meetings with countries, then we’ll have a better reputation. Diplomatic Reputation: +1

• Key Port Cities: The Western Coast has always been covered with trees and has been hard for ships to repair and resupply. But our land has perfect spots for new cities and ships will now have a port for them to continue their journey. Domestic Trade Power: +15%

• Death Valley: This place is the lowest on earth. Temperatures can easily reach 110+. This is the perfect place to train our troops. Those you cannot stand the heat will not stand being in battles. those who stand the heat will become glorious troops capable of fighting. Discipline: +5%
  • Redwood Trees: These trees are hundreds of years old. They have survived droughts, fires, and whatever conditions they were thrown at. Striving to protect these will help the tree survive and makes people think better of us. Yearly Prestige: +1

• Fertile Lands: California is known for growing everything. From wine, to citrus, to just about any crop. Encouraging people to start plantations will bring in more income in our state and it provides more food. National Tax Modifier: +10%

• Protect Against Mexico: Though we are of the same culture, that doesn’t mean tensions exist. We need to recruit more troops that will protect us if Mexico wants to invade us. Army Force Limit: +20%

• Remove Overlord's Influence: Spain was the founder of us, but they won’t be the last of us. Removing their influences will protect us from infiltration and establish ourselves as new people. Spy Defense: +20%
Ambition:

• Build Cost: -10%

Alaskan Ideas:

Traditions:

• Naval Maintenance Modifier: -20%
  • Global Settler Increase: +20

Ideas:

• Colonize The Coast: The Alaskan Coast is one of the few places where we can survive in the north. We should do everything in our power to settle these areas and to strengthen our power. Colonist: +1

• The Alaskan Trade: Even Alaska is barren and doesn’t serve much use, it’s useful in sending trade to Asia. By establishing where the ships had been, we can develop a spot where we can move trade to anywhere we like. Global Trade Power: +10%

• Hunting for Gold: Every new place that was colonized was automatically looked for gold. We don’t if gold exists, but people have reported to find some gold. Encouraging to hunt for gold will increase our will to find and maybe even increase our will to produced more stuff. Goods Produced Modifier: +10%

• Strengthen Our Node: Our node moves everything forward and none comes back to us. By implementing new ways to take some of the trade to us, then we will strengthen our trade in the world. Trade Efficiency: +15%

• Our Barren Land: The Alaskan land is harsh and unforgiving. No enemy of ours should find the slightest bit of vegetation for themselves. If they don’t starve, then the cold will. Attrition For Enemies: +1
  • Buy Indian Furs: The Indians have lived here longer than we have we have. The way they keep warm is by wearing fur coats. Buying furs from them will keep our troops warm and our will allow our leaders to move more distance. Army Leader Maneuver: +1

• Leave the Indians Alone: The Indians know the land. They know how to grow in this land, where to hunt, and how to live. Leaving them be will allow us to follow their ways to survive and will prevent uprisings like our neighbors might have. Local Unrest: -1
Ambition:

• National Manpower Modifier: +15%

Oregon Ideas:

Traditions:

• Manpower Recovery Speed: +10%
  • Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
Ideas:

• The Oregon Trail: The Oregon Trail is the trail for people to travel from our land to the Eastern seaboard. Putting forts along the route will help keep these people supplied and reduce the effects of the harsh route. Land Attrition: -10%

• Oregon Hills: The hills along the West Coast provide us with a defensive bonus. The Hills are steep and sometimes woody which will stop enemy armies. They will soon realize what they have to deal with if they want our land. Fort Defense: +10%
  • Columbia River: This river is a major source for water and provides us with an easy way to the Pacific Ocean. If we posed a tax for having a farm next to the river, then we can profit off of it. National Tax Modifier: +10%

• Beaver Fur: The Beaver is starting to become a popular choice now that the Europeans are running out of them. Being the true creator of the furs will give a view of prestige that no one else can get. Yearly Prestige: +1

• Land Coveted by Many: The Oregon Area is wanted by many Europeans for the land and many other stuff. But were once a European Subject and we broke free. The Europeans need to realize that we broke free and we can do it again. Morale of Armies: +10%
  • Use Indians Techniques: The Chinook Indians' way of fishing has been their way of life and their boats have also helped them catch fish. But what if we use their boat design on a larger scale and develop them into new and better ships? Then we can better create our navy. Diplomatic Technology Cost: -10%

• Incorporate Indians in our Government: The Indians lived in this region for years. Our people don’t have the same numbers as the Indians do. Though diseases are wiping them out, using Indians in our government will make Indians more understandable to Indians when we take their lands. Aggressive Expansion Impact: -10%
Ambitions:

• Recruitment Time: -10%

Australian Ideas:

Traditions:

• Trade Range: +25%
  • Colonial Range: +20%
Ideas:

• Land of Criminals: Our country was founded by criminals that were sent here by Great Britain. Since we are criminals, we are the same. Building our government will ensure that crime won’t be a problem and it will be easier to maintain. Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
  • Australian Terrain: The Terrain is very harsh. From jungles, to deserts, it’s very hard to sent up new colonies. But let’s encourage them to settle these lands. If they die, we send new ones, we must settle the inland and take advantage of this land. National Tax Modifier: +10%
  • Great Barrier Reef: The Great Barrier Reef is a reef that stretches much of North Eastern Coast of Australia. Studying the way of life in this reef will allow us to see nature in a different way and sharing ideas of this knowledge will lead us to an even better understanding of knowledge. Idea Cost: -10%

• Settle the Pacific: The islands around our new land is a perfect place to settle.Now that we forced people to move inland, it’s time moved people across the sea and settle these islands. This will establish our dominance and gives us more power. Settler Chance: +10%

• Defend Against Aboriginal Raids: These Indians live in Australia for a long time and might pose a threat to our colonies. Putting troops in our colonies will help prevent raids and will increase their discipline to protect our citizens. Discipline: +5%

• Use Cannons As Garrisons:Cannons have always been used in battle and in forts and ships. But we can use cannons instead of soldiers in our forts, which will help us defend and strengthen our ability to use cannons. Artillery Combat Ability: +10%

• Indian Ocean Trade: The Indian Ocean is the center of Southern Asia Trade. From the East Coast of Africa to India. Training more Merchants to go and collect wealth will improve our power in the region. Merchants: +1
Ambition:

• Yearly Army Tradition: +.5
Tune in next week for Sarig Yogir, Khoshuud, and Zunghar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just thought I'd leave some feedback before posting my next idea set:

UPCA:
Our Cultural Brethren: The Spanish had colonized much of the New World. After these countries broke independance, they still follow Spanish Traditions. Since we are free, we can join together with our brethren and fight against the common foe.
There is nothing wrong with this idea per se, but it references the Spanish and the fact that the UPCA would have derived from the Spanish. I usually avoid this because anyone can colonize in EU4, and it's just as plausible to have a Portuguese or a French UPCA as it is a Spanish one, so the flavour text wouldn't make much sense in any other occasion.

Louisiana:

I feel like the Louisianian ideas are very slightly underpowered (except the colonist), but not every nation in the game has to be France, so no particular complaints there.

California:

Probably the best designed ones out of the lot, in terms of balance (again, Remove Spanish Influence, refer to my UPCA complaint).

Alaska:

Nothing wrong with these, if anything +10% National Manpower Modifier is horribly underpowered as an ambition. It'd be better off in the ambitions, maybe switched around with the light ship cost (which also feels a bit weird because Alaska has access to some quite poor nodes)

Oregon:

Fine, even though I cannot sea how the 6th idea giving diplo tech cost reduction ties in with the description.

Australia:

Referencing Great Britain in the first idea, though in the general context of things that one's fine. Other than that, having both Settler Chance and Global Settler Increase in the same idea set feels a bit overkill. Also there's already an idea called Settle the Islands (the Malayan Sultanate ideas) so I'd recommend changing the name of that. Possibly "Settle the Pacific" or something like that.

Just thought I'd leave some feedback before posting my next idea set:

UPCA:

There is nothing wrong with this idea per se, but it references the Spanish and the fact that the UPCA would have derived from the Spanish. I usually avoid this because anyone can colonize in EU4, and it's just as plausible to have a Portuguese or a French UPCA as it is a Spanish one, so the flavour text wouldn't make much sense in any other occasion.

Louisiana:

I feel like the Louisianian ideas are very slightly underpowered (except the colonist), but not every nation in the game has to be France, so no particular complaints there.

California:

Probably the best designed ones out of the lot, in terms of balance (again, Remove Spanish Influence, refer to my UPCA complaint).

Alaska:

Nothing wrong with these, if anything +10% National Manpower Modifier is horribly underpowered as an ambition. It'd be better off in the ambitions, maybe switched around with the light ship cost (which also feels a bit weird because Alaska has access to some quite poor nodes)

Oregon:

Fine, even though I cannot sea how the 6th idea giving diplo tech cost reduction ties in with the description.

Australia:

Referencing Great Britain in the first idea, though in the general context of things that one's fine. Other than that, having both Settler Chance and Global Settler Increase in the same idea set feels a bit overkill. Also there's already an idea called Settle the Islands (the Malayan Sultanate ideas) so I'd recommend changing the name of that. Possibly "Settle the Pacific" or something like that.

UPCA: Will fix that.
Louisiana: Thought they were OP IMO.
California: Will fix it.
Alaska: They were the hardest ones to create. I wanted to promote trade but the node they're in SUCKS! I'll increase manpower modifier. I'll replace light ship cost with naval maintenance
Oregon: Fixed Description.
Australia: Rename the idea. Remove settler increase and replace it with National Tax Modifier: +10%

Last edited:
New Orleans: Our Capital is the center for everything. It’s an imprint of our overlords culture and is the center of Southern American trade. If we continue to establish this city, then we can revel in its glory. Diplomatic Reputation: +1

I thought the capital of Louisiana was Baton Rouge, even thou New Orleans are the biggest city. And with the description about the glory, shouldn't it be prestige and not diprep.

I thought the capital of Louisiana was Baton Rouge, even thou New Orleans are the biggest city. And with the description about the glory, shouldn't it be prestige and not diprep.
Well Louisiana never existed in the Eu4 timeline. So I put New Orleans as the capital. Even though the Eu4 wiki said it's Mobile (Why?) New Orleans is usually the first province to be colonized in that region. The reason is not prestige is because I gave that to California and I didn't want doubles.