Hungarian misssion 'Old Alliances' CHANGES mid-mission

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vajrajina

Sergeant
5 Badges
Mar 1, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
Right, this one is hella confusing.

When you boot a game up as Hungary, the mission basically requires you to either be allied with Poland, with relations over +190 or you must be rivalling them or they must be rivalling you and you have to have equal armies and a certain size spy network.

If you check the wiki, it states the same:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Hungarian_missions

So far, perfectly legit, however, as soon as I actually ally them, the mission changes .

https://imgur.com/a/zc7smpZ

I really don't understand why this is the case. If you wanted me to get the Jagiellon dynasty, then why not make that the objective of the mission from the start?

Even if it was the objective from the start, it would be a retarded mission. I have no control over getting or not getting their dynasty, especially with the whole Hunyadi or Habsburg fiasco going on.

So I have an un-fulfilable mission that makes no sense that blocks off the rest of the Hungary-specific mission tree. Unless they added an event that I don't know about, I cannot get the Jagiellon dynasty.

So now I'm forced to Rival them, if I want to progress my missions, but that makes no sense either! They are busy in the Baltic and with the Russians, I'm busy with the Ottomans, we are natural allies. There's a reason why the 'Old Alliance' became a thing in the first place. The game forcing me to open up another front to the north is the last thing I would want to do as Hungary.

Is this a bug or a feature? If it's a feature, it needs fixing asap.

Is there a mod that fixes this?

I dont know what causes this, but its more likely a bug, and not a feature, since often you actually can fulfill the mission by allying Poland, but I encountered this issue myself as well. Perhaps it is disturbed by the Polish succession event, but its just a theory.

What kind of government has Poland? Looking at the game file it does says that Poland needs to have elective mornachy.

Edit: Just thinking through I think this mission is bugged if you don't have Res Publica dlc (which gives elective mornachy). The only way to trigger this mission is just kill Poland or wait till he form commonwealth (good luck)

Last edited:
So far, perfectly legit, however, as soon as I actually ally them, the mission changes .
According to the Hungary_Missions.txt, the mission changes when Poland gets the elective monarchy. In this case you have to have the same dynasty as them:
Code:
if = {
                                limit = {
                                        exists = POL
                                        has_dlc = "Res Publica"
                                        POL = {
                                                has_reform = elective_monarchy
                                        }
                                }
                                OR = {
                                        dynasty = POL
                                        OR = {
                                                AND = {
                                                        is_rival = POL
So the tooltip is wrong. You don't need the Jagiellon dynasty. You can also fulfill the mission by getting your dynasty on their throne by supporting your heir.

According to the Hungary_Missions.txt, the mission changes when Poland gets the elective monarchy. In this case you have to have the same dynasty as them:
Code:
if = {
                                limit = {
                                        exists = POL
                                        has_dlc = "Res Publica"
                                        POL = {
                                                has_reform = elective_monarchy
                                        }
                                }
                                OR = {
                                        dynasty = POL
                                        OR = {
                                                AND = {
                                                        is_rival = POL
So the tooltip is wrong. You don't need the Jagiellon dynasty. You can also fulfill the mission by getting your dynasty on their throne by supporting your heir.
Well after reading your explanation and testing it myself I was wrong. Also the tooltip isn't wrong (maybe missleading). You need the same dynasty as Poland and with polish elective monarchy you just need your guy get voted to be able to finish this mission. The reason why it says Jagiellon in screenshot is that Poland current ruler has that dynasty.

Basicly after Poland take the elective Monarchy, you can finish by getting your dynasty on Polish throne, rival each other or Poland is dead.

Well after reading your explanation and testing it myself I was wrong. Also the tooltip isn't wrong (maybe missleading). You need the same dynasty as Poland and with polish elective monarchy you just need your guy get voted to be able to finish this mission. The reason why it says Jagiellon in screenshot is that Poland current ruler has that dynasty.

Basicly after Poland take the elective Monarchy, you can finish by getting your dynasty on Polish throne, rival each other or Poland is dead.

Right, so as my very first mission I have to wait until Poland's first king dies and until then, all of the other missions that would actually further my campaign objectives are blocked off.

Might as well play with no missions then. I've got the Ottomans breathing down my neck for god's sake, I have no time to sit around and wait for Poland's first king to die.

I think this mission should be changed. An alliance with +190 relations should be enough. While I'm playing pointless politics in Poland (because it IS pointless to get your own dynasty there until they are close to abolishing the elective monarchy) the Ottomans will be expanding. Trying to go by the mission route is counterproductive, either you'll have the Ottomans AND Poland as enemies, or you'll be inactive and allow the Ottomans to take out the countries I would get the missions for.

Paradox plz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, is it possible for me to tamper with this Mission txt and have it changed? I really want to play a Hungary campaign, but this stupid mission just put me off completely.

So quickly ally them before they get elective monarchy? That relies on them starting out as friendly, which they usually don't from my recent experience, so I would need to do multiple restarts with a major just so I can get my first mission...surely, that's not ideal? This is probably because Lithuania usually rivals me and they are already allied to them. Once they get the PU they tend to flip to friendly.

The mission itself is still lame. A simple alliance should be sufficient regardless of what government they have. Pushing your dynasty to their throne does next to nothing in game, so it shouldn't be required that you waste time doing it before you could get on with the whole defeating the Ottomans thing just in case Poland didn't start out as friendly (which they usually don't).

That would mean a bunch of lame restarts just because Paradox gave us a silly mission for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just done 5 quick restarts as Hungary. 3 times Poland was Neutral, 2 times they rivalled me. With the 3 restarts before, that is now 8 attempts, not once did Poland start out as friendly.

Therefore, I can conclude that the design of this mission is inherently flawed, as it forces you to make a choice between:

1. Ignoring this mission tree altogether and brute force your way to the south via claims (bad).

2. Sitting around for decades, waiting for the Polish king to die and hope they will elect your dynasty. Meanwhile, you allow the Ottomans to do whatever they please in the Balkans (bad).

3. Opening up another front to the North and have the 2 most powerful nations in the region/in the game hate you, just so you can finish a completely arbitrary and nonsensical mission (bad).

Paradox should remove the whole silliness about getting your dynasty to the Polish throne. An alliance should be sufficient OR they should rework the mission tree so I can get on with my southern objectives whilst I'm waiting to get my dynasty on the Polish throne.

In the meantime, I ask again: If just deleted the section in the mission txt that changes the mission objective if I have Res Publica DLC, would that work?

Last edited:
20 (!) restarts in and still no friendly Poland. I don't know how your AIs ally each other on day 1, it doesn't seem possible to me.

Sure, they can ally once they get the elective Monarchy , but by that point our cause is already lost and we have to make a choice between 3 bad alternatives.