• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is a Sideshot.

A Sideshot in a not very well simulated game engine, sadly.

The side shot arc is far too big and doesent consider the angle of the incoming projectile (afaik).

but when its like this, than this is a bug which should be fixed.
Sideshots are sideshots... never had stuff like this in wargame (with 1000+h in the franchise)

edit: lol, checked it... its actually 1200h, crazy stuff

Someone said the tank is turning?
That would explain it if the chance to penetrate=kill is calculated at firing the gun by enemy. M10 must have fired when angle was bigger and before shell hit target visually it turned more but that didn't change the fact that penetration was already calculated with side-armor value. Thus KT gets destroyed even if it seems like it's frontal shot.
This would indeed do it.

but when its like this, than this is a bug which should be fixed.
Sideshots are sideshots... never had stuff like this in wargame (with 1000+h in the franchise)

edit: lol, checked it... its actually 1200h, crazy stuff

I have almost 4000 hours in the 3 Wargame titles (holy) and I can tell you: it happened...
very rare, tho.

Unforgetable is an incident where an ATGM came from the front, then turned left and turned right and hit the side armor of a Leopard 2, hahhaha.
Lost the replay sadly.

but why?

If there is no hidden hitbox, look at the picture and tell me this shell hit the side of the tank...
Because the shell was fired from more than 30 degrees off the centerline of your tank making it a side shot. All that matters is the angle from the front of your tank to the shooters location. There is essentially no armor model and only a general hitbox. The angle is all that matters.

Because the shell was fired from more than 30 degrees off the centerline of your tank making it a side shot. All that matters is the angle from the front of your tank to the shooters location. There is essentially no armor model and only a general hitbox. The angle is all that matters.
sure... the "but why?" was related to the value (60), not the mechanics

because it was a side shot and 13 AP will go through the side armor of 9 on the King Tiger.

dude, you dont get what iam talking about.

I dont get the "mechanics" that everything >60° (respcetively +/-30°) is a sideshot, because the visual feedback shows a hit at the front plate of the tank (if you follow the tracer)

dude, you dont get what iam talking about.

I dont get the "mechanics" that everything >60° (respcetively +/-30°) is a sideshot, because the visual feedback shows a hit at the front plate of the tank (if you follow the tracer)
Well that's the thing. It doesn't matter where on the visual model you get hit. If the firing angle is +/-30 it is a side shot. It is silly but it is the game mechanic. Basically treat the visual model as just something pretty to look at as it has no bearing on armor and penetration.

Sadly, full ballistic calculation along with shiny things(graphics) would take a fair amount of programming and PC power. Some games have some decent ballistics but are either poorly optimized(theater of war) or are more on the turn-based or too simulation for the casual gamer.
We have to accept some abstractions even if they may be somewhat undesirable.

I am an avid Falcon 4 BMS flyer. I can do everything including air to air refueling and dive toss bombing, some of the harder things to do. I love the full simulation of it and prefer it over say, ugh, war thunder types. but the average person has a very hard time with it. It's too much simulation for most, that kind of simulation is very niche. SD has to keep it simpler or it will become far too much to handle. Hell its already maxing my APM( which is around 50, what i had in W:EE) and adding more sim stuff/details like men of war etc would make it too much.
The scale is too big I think.

60 degree? That's.. not generous

DAFU..what? Did I just actually used trigonometric function for something?! o_O

Or is it?
If my terribad math is right it means something like that:

Side-shots occur when enemy is
X m away from the centreline of your tank at distance of Y from it:
Y = 1200 m -> X = 692 m

Y = 1000 m -> X = 577 m
Y = 800 m -> X = 461 m
Y = 600 m -> X = 346 m
Y = 400 m -> X = 230 m
Y = 200 m -> X = 115 m
Y = 100 m -> X = 57 m

So it's not that bad on the long range after all.. you are not side-shooting KT with any 2 tanks under same CV unit. It seems to also explain why 20mm can / do eat up M4s and rest of stuff at short ranges

+/- 30° is a bit much, don't you think.
At the angle of 30° King tiger side armor effectiveness would be at about 14.(162% effectiveness at 30°)
If there will be no dynamic armor value base on the angle of impact. Then the angle should be more forgiving.

it doesn't need to be forgiving. given the way tank ai works, there's literally no reason to get side shot other than that you screwed up and/or got outplayed

is turret facing simulated in the game?
No only the hull matters.
it doesn't need to be forgiving. given the way tank ai works, there's literally no reason to get side shot other than that you screwed up and/or got outplayed
Personally I have found that tanks Panthers especially have a nasty habit at times that once they have engaged an enemy they turn to present their side towards the enemy. It is hugely annoying as I then need to A catch it and B give the tank a move order towards the enemy which interrupts their firing in order to get the front armor facing the correct direction.

They will not do that unless there is a greater threat. (or they panic and fall back)