• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Synthetic Dawn

Hi everyone and welcome back to a new dev diary. We are continuing work on the upcoming 1.5 “Cornflakes” and unannounced expansion. Today we are going to be talking about changes to synthetic refineries and resources.

Synthetic Refineries
Synthetic refineries are a great way to get access to oil and rubber for nations that end up on unfriendly terms with a lot of their neighbours (*cough* Germany *cough*). The technologies for them were however in need of some updating. Most people would only bother with the first to unlock the building unless they were a very small nation (and if so probably not a big consumer of those resources). It also felt unfair that nations that had plenty of one resource and lacked the other would need to do the same investment as someone who lacked both. Even if you had some of each, there was no good way of balancing output and you’d usually end up with a surplus of one or a deficiency in the other. To deal with this we now unlock 3 building levels at once, but the initial output of the refinery is much lower. We have then removed the previous 3 techs giving more levels and replaced them with 8 new techs that increase the output of your chosen resource. That means that if you only need more rubber you only need to research the Rubber Processing techs and can skip the Oil Processing.
pasted image 1.png

Resources & Infrastructure
This is something we have been wanting to do for a long time. Each level of infrastructure now adds +10% resources in those states. This means that we can have resource amounts that actually grow later in the game. This should give you more reasons to upgrade low infrastructure areas to take advantage of the resources there, and will also allow bombing to impact normal resource gathering and not just refineries. A low infrastructure area with resources is now a great opportunity for expansion.

Together with this change we have improved the construction interface.
pasted image 2.png

You can now see where resources are located and how much they are impacted. You can also see building slots which makes it so much easier to find the best places to build infrastructure without having to jump between map modes.

Resource mapmode now also indicates effect from infrastructure damage so you can spot potentially important areas for repair:
pasted image 3.png

We have been rebalancing resource numbers across the world to go with this change. Numbers aren't done yet but I figure I’d spend the rest of the diary showing some areas to explain what we are working with.

pasted image 4.png

British Malaya and Singapore are nerfed, but are both low infra allowing for a lot of expansion.

pasted image 5.png

USA has a lot of areas where investing in infrastructure will help them grow into a monster. Texan oil for example.

pasted image 6.png

As seen above, Japan has several opportunities to improve local resources now.

pasted image 7.png

France generally got a bit of a resource nerf as it had a lot of very high areas and is also at decent infrastructure level.

pasted image 8.png

Northern Sweden still has precious tungsten which can be expanded to help Germa...accurately simulate Sweden's complicated role in the war.

pasted image 9.png

Brazil now has the potential to be a true rubber king (is that even a word?) if invested in. Same goes for some other nations in south america, like tungsten from Bolivia.

This should shake up the resource play a bit we hope. See you all next week for more updates!

Last edited:
Wait, does this mean with the first synthetic refinery tech we can build THREE synthetic refineries in a state? Do I undestand correctly?

I just hope those new techs won't cost 250+ days to complete(without ahead of time penalty). Because then It would be easier to invade Malaya or Romania than to waste tech

Wait, does this mean with the first synthetic refinery tech we can build THREE synthetic refineries in a state? Do I undestand correctly?
yea. saw no reason to limit it to later techs. few ppl ever bothered as I explained in the diary

DEI will make more sense now.

But you should have gone the other way: infra below 100% occurs a penalty to resource output.

This make more sense as a region with 0% infrastructure should not produce resource. And it make bombing or fighting heavy over a region you want to capture much more painful, as you will have to rebuild everything before grasping the resources.

yea. saw no reason to limit it to later techs. few ppl ever bothered as I explained in the diary
Makes sense; I only ever really bothered with the first tech.

Another idea for Cornflakes might be to revamp some of the design company research bonuses, as a lot of them are rarely worth the investment.

Yes, I like this. Adds a really important strategic component to the game!!!!

Can you see the impact of strategic bombing at enemy areas towards the resources and infrastructure a bit better in the future? I find it very complicated to really see my impact on those enemy areas

I guess that balance wise numbers are not final - but what is the initial output of refineries in 'current' build @podcat ? :) (And what +output we can expect increase from those tech?)

And final question - is the synthetic refineries output also affected by the infrastructure level?

Please for the love of god allow us modders to regulate the % gained resources from each level of infrastructure. (This isn't possible to do with extra building speed, hope you can include that as well)

Really cool change. Did not expect resource extraction to be connected with infrastructure, but it's great to see more incentives towards "civilian" activities, as opposed to just building military factories. Also hoping that along with this, economic laws will change so that civilian laws give a larger bonus to civilian construction speed, while military laws give a larger bonus to military construction. Would make the choice to change laws more consequential.

EDIT: Also hoping that the AI will understand these new changes, so it knows when it should build infra. Managing resistance also becomes a lot more important now, if the AI is unable to suppress resistance it will seriously lag behind in resources.

Looks like I'm gonna have to play Raj again.