• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah. If this was my second French game, i could have performed much better. Still i think i put up a strong resistance, it took around 3,5 months for Germans to take Paris. And the only reason i was overrun was because of devastating air superiority of Luftwaffe.

My army was still intact and i could have fought for another month or so but i decided to take the historical course. Let's see how this evolves.

Remember to check the latest update :) I posted it right after you posted your comment.
It took me about 3-4 to win as France in HOI3: not easy at all! Looking forward to how in goes as Free France. Yes, have read the latest update. :)

A brave attempt, but it's not over while one Frenchman is still fighting anywhere on earth!

Out of curiosity could we have the casualties for the battle of France as a whole, from the beginning to the armistice?

The Germans may have won this round. The war is just beginning.

PART XXIII : APPEAL TO THE FRENCH NATION

June 25, 1940

General de Gaulle addressed the French nation from BBC in London. In his address, General de Gaulle declared the armistice invalid and called French armies, soldiers, airmen and specialized workers to join up his cause in London.

M51sNGd.jpg

General de Gaulle addressing the nation :

FMoeJS9.jpg

VllGCKK.jpg

XSqnATw.jpg

June 27, 1940

Several commanders have already answered General de Gaulle's call and joined up with him in London.

EELztjY.png

June 29, 1940

New carrier Joffre, battleships Courbet and Provence, 4 heavy cruisers and 11 destroyers joined to de Gaulle's cause and docked at Cayenne.

SN3QPNS.jpg

July 1, 1940

Important amount of equipment was taken from French stockpiles by Free French Generals and was transported to London via British merchant ships.

Training of 6 full infantry divisions has already begun in London.

Fay3rgE.png

July 6, 1940

British Army is pushing Italians in Libya.

IridfL2.jpg

July 7, 1940

General de Gaulle ordered resistance cells to be organized in German-occupied France.

esi6SoT.jpg

July 10, 1940

With war in the west coming to an end, Germans are expected to launch a naval landings at Norweigan ports.

OtMr12A.jpg

How did much legitmacy did you manage to accrue in your resistance?

I second the comment that it would have been nice to see the British AI send over some reinforcements, instead of apparently just dawdling on the isles. They had over three months to try to offer some assistance, and nothing happened? Pah.

Also, nice to see Boulanger join the Free French. If I recall, he was one of the guys holding strong against the Italians.

On a completely unrelated note, the French spies remind me of the Lutece twins from Bioshock Infinite, which amuses me.

How did much legitmacy did you manage to accrue in your resistance?

It is 89. BTW, this is my first time as a government in exile. If there is any suggestion playing in exile, i would like to hear.

I second the comment that it would have been nice to see the British AI send over some reinforcements, instead of apparently just dawdling on the isles. They had over three months to try to offer some assistance, and nothing happened? Pah.

Also, nice to see Boulanger join the Free French. If I recall, he was one of the guys holding strong against the Italians.

On a completely unrelated note, the French spies remind me of the Lutece twins from Bioshock Infinite, which amuses me.

Yeah but they didn't keep substantial amount of troops on the island either. Many divisions were sent to Italian East Africa and surprisingly Italians resisted there for several months. At least they sent almost all of their fighter planes to help me. Also, they conducted lots of ground missions in the Alpine Front which inflicted huge amount of losses to Italians.

It is 89. BTW, this is my first time as a government in exile. If there is any suggestion playing in exile, i would like to hear.
I've never been brave enough :)

PART XXIV : INVASION OF NORWAY

July 20, 1940

Soviet Union delivered an ultimatum to Romanian government, demanding return of Bessarabia. Romanian government gave in to Soviet demands.

42wyaTb.jpg

August 3, 1940

15 divisions managed to escape from French ports to Britain but they had to leave almost all their heavy equipment behind. General de Gaulle requested the British government to arm these troops so that they can participate in the North African Campaign.

dUjXmFY.jpg

August 5, 1940

General de Gaulle is trying to establish contacts with the governors of French colonies to invite them to Free French cause.

fYWaxP7.jpg

August 6, 1940

The British Army is pressing towards Tripoli.

v1Ea3eU.jpg

August 9, 1940

King Carol abdicated in Romania. Fascist government led by pro-German Antonescu was formed. The British believes that Romania may soon go under German influence.

sZvT7Fl.jpg

August 10, 1940

Germans are launching simultaneous landings on Norway.

lyjgXO6.jpg

August 18, 1940

Germans managed to capture port of Stavenger in the Southern Norway. In the further north, German landings on Bergen failed.

Mwua5yx.jpg

August 27, 1940

In their second attempt, Germans captured Bergen. German footholds in Norway are now secure.

z81TIoe.jpg

German troops in Norway :

9ek6m2Y.jpg

September 9, 1940

Governor of Indochina refused to listen de Gaulle's representatives.

pC89GoE.jpg

September 10, 1940

The British Army is recapturing Algeria and Tunisia from Italian Army. General de Gaulle is preparing to set up his provisional government in Oran.

pTbfNfP.jpg

September 12, 1940

First success of Free France movement! Syrian governor declared his support for General de Gaulle.

mMuSirt.jpg

September 14, 1940

Germans are rapidly advancing in Norway. Norweigan government is planning to set up an exile government in London.

j2mlR8b.jpg

September 15, 1940

The British provided most of the missing equipments for newly organized Free French Army. General de Gaulle created 1st and 2nd Armies under his direct command. The force is expected to leave for Algeria soon.

p9eTYAd.jpg

Admiral Abrial's new 1st Fleet docked at Plymouth. 1st Fleet will also move to the Mediterranean to fight against the Italian Navy.

QotnVKg.jpg

September 16, 1940

Gestapo arrested one of our agents in Paris. Free France forces are planning a daring rescue mission.

JXSvnac.jpg

September 17, 1940

Central African colonies rejected de Gaulle's offer to switch sides and to join up Free French cause.

6g6dlbm.jpg

September 25, 1940

Madagascar, too, rejected to join up our cause.

5myDA2S.jpg

October 1, 1940

1st Army Group is about to arrive at Oran. One of the convoy ships carrying the troops is intercepted by Italian submarines.

OVSEIAA.jpg

October 3, 1940

Germans captured Oslo and are pressing towards the North. Norweigan government fled to London but Norweigan Army continues to resist Germans.

7TQjY63.jpg

October 7, 1940

1st Army under General Leclerc is advancing along the coast. 2nd Army is regrouping in Algiers.

PGmkDMp.jpg

October 9, 1940

PM Churchill met with General de Gaulle in London and requested merging of Free French Fleet with Royal Navy. General de Gaulle accepted Churchill's proposal in exchange for more equipment for Free French troops.

DPW7Z26.jpg

October 14, 1940

French forces engage with the enemy for the first time since the signing of the Armistice on June 20.

AqW5xHM.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, not having the navy yourself may limit some of your operational options, but OTOH will make it easier to focus on the land. So, you have the Pacific islands, Syria/Lebanon, and Algeria and Tunisia (presuming you manage to finish off the Italians)?

A reasonable start, if so. Will you then look to taking back some of the other Vichy possessions?

Sad to see the navy gone, it might make sense but it certainly doesn't feel right. I was hoping to see an entirely French operation to seize Madagascar from this Vichy dogs. :p

PART XXV : INVASION OF YUGOSLAVIA

October 18, 1940

Mussolini declared war on Greece early this morning. British PM Churchill promised to help Greece.

While Italians are completely defeated in North Africa, Italian dictator tries to find glory in other adventures.

88sM5k9.jpg

October 21, 1940

General Leclerc is pressing to capture port of Annaba. Italians are in total disarray in Algeria and are expected to surrender in mass soon.

k3e5dnv.jpg

October 27, 1940

Japanese forces threatened French government with a military invasion of Indochina unless navy basing and troop stationing rights are not granted to the Japanese Empire immediately. Vichy officials submitted to the Japanese demands.

DKzxwhv.jpg

Japanese forces entering Indochina :

usfx5Hv.jpg

November 8, 1940

Norweigan Army capitulated, ending fighting in Norway.

XgVlzJN.jpg

November 9, 1940

Greek Army defeated Italian Army in Albania and is about to liberate entire country. Italian Army was defeated decisively in North Africa and Greece.

Greece will present the Allies very good base to start operations against the Axis in Europe.

Uml53kF.jpg

November 22, 1940

General de Gaulle is preparing an invasion plan for Sardinia. The aim is to both carry the war into Italian lands and to prove the British that French fighting spirit is still alive.

kBMWHnF.jpg

December 23, 1940

Sardinian Operation has begun. It seems that Italians reinforced their garrison force on the island.

2c1Jj5t.jpg

December 26, 1940

Hungary and Romania signed the Tripartite Pact today. Both countries declared war on Britain and Greece. German pressure on Bulgaria and Yugoslavia is increasing as well. Entry of these nations into the Axis may prompt German invasion against Greece.

y9vNwJJ.jpg

December 30, 1940

General de Gaulle called off Sardinian invasion. The operation became a major failure for Free French forces.

Bulgaria signed the Tripartite Pact and declared war on Britain and Greece. Bulgarian forces began to cross Greek border as of December 30.

zyqS5dV.jpg

January 14, 1941

German-Bulgarian foces invade Thrace.

tm7I2OB.jpg

January 22, 1941

Germany declared war on Yugoslavia, using British covert operations in the country as a pretext. With Yugoslavian invasion, the entire Balkan region became involved with the war.

GfrsCEa.jpg

February 7, 1941

Yugoslavian Army capitulated. German Armies are rushing to Greek border.

A0NokEN.jpg

February 17, 1941

Most of Albania was recaptured by the Axis Forces. German, Italian and Bulgarian forces are trying to breach Greek defenses.

NhDiQjA.jpg

February 22, 1941

French intelligence informed that Sicily is not properly defended by Italian Army due to reinforcements sent to Greek Front. General de Gaulle ordered General Leclerc's 1st Army to check the defenses of the island.

R7DVfDp.jpg

February 24, 1941

2 divisions from 1st Army landed at Sicily without any resistance. Rest of the 1st Army is now sailing towards Sicily.

Recently created 3rd Army is positioned in Algeria. With 3rd Army, de Gaulle's Free French Army in the North Africa reached total strength of 18 divisions. Convoy of 3rd Army was attacked by German U-boats en route to Algeria. 3 divisions suffered heavy manpower and equipment losses.

kB69Kl8.png

March 1, 1941

1st Army is advancing in Sicily. Italians brought 2 divisions to the island so far.

2eBmWKN.jpg

Poor Greece, it looked like it might do very well until Bulgaria joined up with the fascists. Do you think the Italians will strip Sardinia of its troops to go to mainland Italy thanks to the Sicilian situation? You could be able to take both islands before long.

A bold counterstroke in Sicily, I hope it pays off. Vive la France!

Well if you can force them off of Sicily the Straits of Messina should prove easy enough to defend.

Sicily is a better prize than Sardinia, so that worked out well. And the Italians losing all of Africa plus Algeria and Tunisia not going to Vichy are good developments. Much of the rest of the events are more like OTL.

The big problem for France in the future will be Allied reluctance/inability to establish a secure landing in France when the time comes. Let’s hope the large Free French army you’re building might be just enough to make the difference. That, and hoping the Soviets can hold and distract Germany to allow it. And if you can hold onto Sicily and get help later, maybe and second front in Italy too, with British help.

And so De Gaulle begins the invasion of Sicily a few years early.

And gotta lawl at Vichy Indochina. Refusing to join the rebellion, then getting eaten up by Japan shortly thereafter any way.

Poor Greece, it looked like it might do very well until Bulgaria joined up with the fascists. Do you think the Italians will strip Sardinia of its troops to go to mainland Italy thanks to the Sicilian situation? You could be able to take both islands before long.

They may evacute Sardinia but if i can hold on to Sicily, i won't bother with Sardinia. Sicily is excellent to invade mainland Italy.

Well if you can force them off of Sicily the Straits of Messina should prove easy enough to defend.

That's exactly my plan. Take Messina and turn it into a stronghold.

PART XXVI : SICILIAN DISASTER

March 2, 1941

Siam joined "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" created by Japanese Empire. The pact consists of Japanese puppet regimes :

- China
- Megkukuo
- Manchukuo
- Siam

eDfEnQw.jpg

General Leclerc's 1st Army is trying to take Messina and cut off Italian forces in Sicily.

UvhuHbu.jpg

March 3, 1941

Italians reinforced Messina. Battle of Messina begins. 2nd Army under General Juin is transported to Sicily.

vdtG2GH.jpg

Germans broke through Greek lines from Thrace.

TZVnSI2.jpg

March 4, 1941

German U-boats intercepted 2nd Army's convoys en route to Palermo. British destroyers are signaled and are rushing to help convoys.

CZBy7Qr.jpg

March 7, 1941

Italians brought more troops to Messina. General de Gaulle ordered offensive to be stopped. As a result of U-Boat attacks, one division of 2nd Army lost more than 50 percent of its equipment and manpower.

iNByvQ1.png

March 9, 1941

Germans and Italians heavily reinforced Sicily and launched a counter-offensive towards Palermo. Tbe British also started to send reinforcements to Sicily.

ypapVMu.jpg

March 12, 1941

Axis forces in Sicily reached to 30 divisions. ( 26 Italy, 4 German )

Ar3j6mk.jpg

In Greece, Greek Army was split into two. Northern front is cut from Athens and is currently supplied by sea.

tEKWv7M.jpg

March 14, 1941

German-Italian Offensive was halted in Sicily. Italians continue to build up their forces in the island. Having failed to block the Messina Strait, French-British plan now shifted to tying down as many German-Italian forces as possible in Sicily, relieving pressure on our Greek allies.

SPnG8IP.jpg

March 17, 1941

German-Italian forces launched multiple offensives in Sicily. Germans brought several Panzer divisions to the island.

zQz3ZfB.jpg

March 19, 1941

German panzers are slowly breaking through our defenses.

u8sP7Nq.jpg

March 22, 1941

German-Italian offensive teared apart our defenses. Free French forces are ordered to retreat towards the west to reach ports.

Sgk48Xe.jpg

March 23, 1941

The Allied position in Sicily is collapsing rapidly. Retreat towards the west continues.

8XwbtiO.jpg

March 24, 1941

Evacuation of Free French forces began. Eight British-Indian divisions are trapped in Syracuse.

aauDC3O.jpg

March 25, 1941

Eight divisions in Syracuse surrendered. Evacuation of Free French forces continue.

SAJJA1A.jpg

March 26, 1941

Entire 1st and 2nd Army managed to embark on convoy ships. Six British-Indian divisions guarded the rear of Free French forces. Unfortunately, these divisions have little hope of escape.

hQM65P6.jpg

March 27, 1941

The British managed to evacuate 4 of their 6 remaining divisions in Sicily. The last two divisions are currently retreating from Palermo.

3k8CJa7.jpg

March 28, 1941

Last two divisions in Sicily surrendered. 1st and 2nd Armies arrived at Tunisia.

Allied invasion of Sicily turned into a complete disaster. German Fuhrer Hitler mocked British-French invasion in a radio broadcast. The invasion costed the British 12 divisions and Free French forces were able to evacute successfully only because of brave efforts of British forces holding their ground in the island.

VbngYR0.jpg

In Greece, Athens has fallen. Greek Army continues to resist bravely but with reinforcements coming from Sicily, the end may come soon.

DiUtgSr.jpg