• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gwax23

Colonel
74 Badges
Oct 9, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Victoria 2
Hello all.

I created a small little sub mod.

Mostly little fixes and changes I have included in my own games. Focused on historical accuracy and depth. I plan to add more to it and I am open to suggestions.

Version History:

0.1:

- Added a new Berber culture called "Afariqah" which represents the last of the Latinized Berbers who spoke a African Romance language and practiced Christianity until the 14th century. The name is what the Ummayad's designated them as. Normans encountered them during their raids/conquests of Ifriqiya. I gave them 4 counties at the 867 start primarily in Tunisia and Algeria. The locations are based on my research which showed sizable communities still existing in those areas at far later dates. (Evidence of burials, pilgrimages, Bishops, and those still speaking African Romance from Muslim and other contemporary sources) Fair to say they remained the majority in the Tunisian hinterland. I always felt that the 867 start date at the minimum should show some Christian communities still extant in Africa. Later start dates they are no longer present but I may change this. I do not think they remained a majority anywhere past the 11th century.
-The 4 Afariqah counties start as Catholic.
-Afariqah dynasty names are generally Berber words of Latin origin plus a few Arabic words that designated Romanized Berbers/Christians in the region.
-Afariqah use Andalusi portraits, cannot raid like other Berbers, and do not use the dynasty name for titles.
-Changed Suryaye to use Byzantine portraits
-Changed Kubti to use Byzantine Portraits
-Gotthos use German Portraits, have more Gothic names, and Gothic modifiers such as the ability the raid.
-Beta Israel use exclusively African portraits.

0.2:
-All Eastern Rite, Orthodox, and Oriental Churches now allow Priests to marry and inherit. Clerical celibacy is much looser/non existent in these traditions. The same changes were made to older Catholic heresies such as Arian and Adoptionist.

0.3:
-Added Mizrahi Jewish culture. Uses Arab/Muslim portraits.

.04:
- Merged all Jewish/Israelite cultures into one single "Yehudi" culture. All associated Sephardi/Ashkenazi events and names attributed to new culture group. By the game start Sephardi Jews were the vast majority of Jews worldwide both ethnically and liturgically and the distinctions between various Jewish groups was not as developed yet.
-Judaism allows concubines for rulers during this period so that feature added to the religion.
-Made Guadalajara Yehudi at game start as that city has a Jewish majority during the begining of the game time's frame and represents the heart of Sephardi Jewry in Spain.
-Changed Judaism Holy sites to Jerusalem, Hebron, Safed, and Tiberias to reflect the actual holy sites of Judaism.
-Samaritan only has one Holy Site in Nablus.
-Nablus is made Samaritan by religion.
-Hebron, Tiberias, and Safed made Yehudi/Jewish at game start tor eflect the Jewish community that exited in the old Yishuv during this time frame. Tiberias was recorded as being majority Jewish.
-Added Hebrew names for councilors, landed titles, and honorary titles for Yehudi culture.
-Added a Yehudi/Jewish province in Yemen to reflect the substantial Jewish presence there from the Himyarite Kingdom.

.05:
-Added more Yehudi female and male names.
-Yehudi noew uses patronyms. ('Ben' and 'Bat')
-Baghdad added as Jewish holy site.
-Isfahan made Yehudi culture.
-Allowed Jews to marry Christian, Muslims, and Zoroastrians.
-Yehudi uses prefix "MIn" (Of)

.06:
-Renamed "Yehudi" to "Ivrit" to properly encompass Samaritans, Levites, etc.
-Fixed Ivrit localisation for some tiles.
-Added Ivrit localization for landed titles.
-Nablus starts as Ivrit culture.
-Jewish religion grants +1 Learning and +1 Stewardship.

I plan to add more. I like to focus on fringe cultures, religions, and areas which do not get as much attention and make for interesting plays.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• MIP.zip
    655 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
This sounds truly great and I have wanted those "Afariqah" (didn't know they were designated with that name) to be present ingame in some way, since I read about about the Córdoba-Caliphate and Muslim North-Africa when I gathered information to immerse myself into the context of my now finished campaign. I was quite baffled to learn, that (1) the Normans of Sicily at some point even ruled parts of todays Tunisia and (2) that they encountered Christians there, whose communities must date back to the time of the Roman Empire. So thanks for implementing them :)
When you say, that you gave them 4 counties, does that mean, that you only changed the counties culture to Afariqah or that you also created rulers of said culture, so that they are playable from the start?
Also, second question, on which areas / cultures / religions would you like to touch on next? Since I got a thing for everything "fringe"-like in CK2, I am really interested in where you go next with this submod.
So keep it up :)!

Hey Farbolo thanks for the kind words!

The Afariqah have no rulers at game start. They are a county culture in 3 counties of interior Tunisia and 1 in Algeria. Courtier culture only but I have seen some rebellions that created independent realm.

And yes the history is interesting. Apparently when the Normans left Tunisia they evacuated what was left of the community with them. I have also read post Islamic conquest there was a big migration out of the Maghreb to Spain and Italy which is why the area became Islamized way faster than Egypt. The local berbers that remained were only partially christianized so they quickly changed religious affiliation for geopolitical reasons. The Copts enjoyed a monastic order which North African christian communities didnt, hence their longevity.

I want to add more localization for Suryaye. The names of Kingdoms/Empires etc.

I want to work on Copts, and Jews. The Jewish split between Sephardic and Ashkenazi was not pronounced until the very end of the game's time-frame. They would be better to be merged. I just modified the Beta Israel to use African portraits exclusively and not the generic Arab/Muslim ones.

I also want to look into adding more secret societies and religious decisions for less played religions like Syriacs.

Last edited:
There seems to be an issue I cannot solve with the dyansty names. I added Afariqah dynasty names to the Dynasty00 file but now ruler designer is unavailable in the game and many dynasties are blank. Any help?

New update for version .2

All eastern rite, orthodox, and oriental churches allow priests to marry and inherit. Clerical celibacy in these traditions were looser to non existent. Further I made the same changes for older catholic heresies such as Arian and Adoptionist.

Will look into adding more heresies/secret groups for them as many lack them, as well as holy orders and the ability to give them religious leaders/reforms/more flavour.

Lastly I am still trying to figure out Afriqah dynasty names. My previous attempts did not work/crashed the system.

I am trying to give them names that appear for random characters and for ruler designer. Any help would be appreciated.

Would African Romance characters use dynastic last-name titles?

Since the language and culture is so poorly attested and somewhat enigmatic, I think it'd be interesting if you could get an Afariqah Catholic/Orthodox/Coptic court physician, depending on your own religion.

This is great idea for a submod, I remember being fascinated by the African Romance culture first time I stumbled upon it!

Dang, I wish I've installed it before I started my restore Roman Empire run.

t
Hey Farbolo thanks for the kind words!

The Afariqah have no rulers at game start. They are a county culture in 3 counties of interior Tunisia and 1 in Algeria. Courtier culture only but I have seen some rebellions that created independent realm.

And yes the history is interesting. Apparently when the Normans left Tunisia they evacuated what was left of the community with them. I have also read post Islamic conquest there was a big migration out of the Maghreb to Spain and Italy which is why the area became Islamized way faster than Egypt. The local berbers that remained were only partially christianized so they quickly changed religious affiliation for geopolitical reasons. The Copts enjoyed a monastic order which North African christian communities didnt, hence their longevity.

I want to add more localization for Suryaye. The names of Kingdoms/Empires etc.

I want to work on Copts, and Jews. The Jewish split between Sephardic and Ashkenazi was not pronounced until the very end of the game's time-frame. They would be better to be merged. I just modified the Beta Israel to use African portraits exclusively and not the generic Arab/Muslim ones.

I also want to look into adding more secret societies and religious decisions for less played religions like Syriacs.
Im about 100 years into a east syriac surayey game, what are you considering adding to them, I really like the idea of making the church of the far east powerful