• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

durvas

Colonel
51 Badges
Sep 3, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
Notes: This AAR isn't a role play or story, it is a play by play of my expansion as well as information on strategy, mechanics and exploits. Also, LOTS OF PICTURES. The chapter links to an Imgur Album because I don't want to retype everything in the forum formatting.

Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters. - Alexander the Great

Coming from EU4, I was always surprised at the lack of conquest in Victoria 2 games. The community seems to put much more emphasis on development and playing, for lack of a better word, aesthetically. Sure the mechanics for Victoria 2 hinder conquest more than other Paradox games, but I didn't see many people trying to break it open. I found world conquests back in earlier versions of Victoria 2, but only one such example in HOD. Inspired by the UK WC, I decided to set out to make Alexander proud.

Some may laugh, but Greece is not in nearly as bad a position as it first seems. It has high revanchism, starts in the UK's sphere, and causes early crises. Greece is in a great position to expand and expand quickly, you only need to be willing to be gamey enough. There are three main points that need to be addressed:

Jingoism - Greece doesn't have to worry about this, at least at the start. Due to 69% starting revanchism, I will have more jingoism than I know what to do with. However, revanchism is lost over time, and the mechanics are not clear on exactly how. Gaining cores clearly affects it, but I can't get a clear handle on how pop numbers change it. I can mitigate the potential loss by stack applying war goals, but I will still need to try and keep revanchism above 20%. At 20% revanchism, Jingoism generation gets a HUGE buff and replenishes faster than you can spend it.

Diplomatic Points - The most obvious limiting factor. Can't add war goals without them. There are two techs that increase Diplomatic Point production. Unfortunately, the second tech comes later in the tree than a tech that unlocks the event for gaining cores, which is a huge risk to revanchism. The problem is that Greece is a relatively slow start and will have to add more land and start more wars than someone like the UK, so not taking the second tech is not an option. This places a heavy emphasis on planning to avoid assimilation and migration. This shuts off various expansion routes that would have otherwise been more efficient.

Early Expansion - Mentioned above, this is actually in Greece's favor can be achieved fairly easily. The thing is, you don't have to become big enough to beat everyone, just big enough to beat non-GPs in Europe. Blocking GPs from attacking you during expansion is simple, but you first have to reach GP status yourself. The easiest way to do both is to attack China, and anyone who can ally the UK has an easy in.

Following the above strategies, I will exploit my way to greatness.

Done in HOD 3.03 on Normal Difficulty

Chapters:

1836 - 1853
1853 - 1863
1863 - 1872
1872 - 1881
1881 - 1889
1889 - 1892
1893 - 1898
1898 - 1905
1905 - 1913
1913 - 1919
1919 - 1928
1928 - 1936

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That title.

Part 7: 1893 - 1898

This chapter includes the Greek Raj, pushing for German unification, and a very niche use for suppression.

Progress GIF

CAP5C9L.gif
CAP5C9L

World Maps

Last edited:
Part 9: 1905 - 1913

This chapter includes enclaves within enclaves, revanchism fluctuation, and great name placement. Also, I couldn't figure it out myself, but u/equalspace on reddit told me the true revanchism equation:

[Cores where primary culture is dominant + (Cores where other culture is dominant/4)] / Total Cores

World Map Progress GIF

Last edited: