Hearts of Iron IV - Beginner Tutorial - Battle Plans

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hello!

During this week we'll be releasing one tutorial video a day where glorious DDRJake explains some basic concepts of the game in an easy to understand manner.

The purpose of these videos is to make short and easy to find guides on specific topics. Once the game is released we expect a ton of user made let's plays and tutorials. Since these tend to be quite long, and it might be hard to find the specific thing you have questions about, We made these. I like to call them wiki articles in video format.

We start off with video #1 - Battle Plans! Enjoy!

Reactions:
Loved watching the tutorial.

And I do hate to ask. But is the Youtube series all caught up to the Twitch one?
The 30-40min videos are throwing me off.

Reactions:
more of these! one more week sitting at home and watching the clock tick ;)

Like everyone ;) D-day is coming :) Otherwise it's great idea of these tutorials. Simple way to understand mechanics and base rules :)

Reactions:
Was anything done to the battle plans to prevent defenders from making a "fake battle plan" and never executing it to cheese the system for the planning bonus??

Reactions:
The "retreat" to the fallback line about 400 to 500km in 4-6 days seems a bit fast for mostly Infantry divisions, even using strategic movement.

Or is it just me?

Reactions:
Looks pretty simple and intuitive!

No click-and-drag for garrisoning large areas though? Garrisoning the USSR going to take forever! o_O

Yeah having to click on each state seems extremely tedious when it comes to large areas like that

Reactions:
The "retreat" to the fallback line about 400 to 500km in 4-6 days seems a bit fast for mostly Infantry divisions, even using strategic movement.

Or is it just me?

If I understand strategic redeployment it's basically just shoving the guys unto trains and trucks/buses/whatever and go. Hence the loss in organisation. 500 km in trains, cramped in like sardines in 4 days doesn't seem unreasonable. My battalion moved roughly 300 km in a day with all our crap (mechanised, peacetime and modern day though) to get to an excercise.

Reactions:
Looks similar to the tutorials that other guy did. I like the initiative. Videos like these are so much more value than text. Also good for us who aren't that interested in watching youtube streamers to learn game mechanics before release.

Reactions:
Was anything done to the battle plans to prevent defenders from making a "fake battle plan" and never executing it to cheese the system for the planning bonus??

What's so bad with preparing for a counter attack?
You only get the planning bonus when you execute your counter attack.

Reactions:
What's so bad with preparing for a counter attack?
You only get the planning bonus when you execute your counter attack.

Watch the Poland WWW, he got the planning bonus for his defense just by drawing in a "fake attack" and never executing it. So he got his dig in bonus, and his attack planing bonus even tho there was never a real thought of attacking or firing this plan. So its actually cheesing the system to get a double bonus.

It was said the planning bonus was implemented to counter the dig in bonus, not to be additive to it.

Reactions:
Question, Once you launch an offensive and your bonus starts to tick down when does it tick back up again?

I will assume that it will only tick back up when you reach the Offensive Front-line and you have a second phase to your Plan.

I presume you do not allow the bonus to tick back up if the player simply orders a unit to stop.

am just gona quote myself from other thread
Its very well. But I hoped for a showcased complex battle plan to inspire but that never came :(

Edit: at 4:30 why commanders disappearing after only assigning them to a fallback line? Also I hope Its easy to make them re-appear again?

Reactions:
Loved watching the tutorial.

And I do hate to ask. But is the Youtube series all caught up to the Twitch one?
The 30-40min videos are throwing me off.

I believe its one more from last Twitch session thats missing on YouTube.. Episode 6.. Hope they didnt forget about it

This is a great system! I love it. So easy to understand and implement! This will allow me to really be able to manage a country like Russia which is so huge by not having to micro every single unit every single second of every single day. This is wonderful. Then when I want to be a micromanager it allows me full and complete control of every single unit if I want to. This is totally and completely a win/win!
It is so simple to use yet is extremely complex as well.
What a great job by the devs!

Reactions:
You can never have both bonuses active at the same as they explained in the WWW's
When defending only the Dig in bonus is active.
if you attack the planning bonus.

You are correct, and sorry I stated it wrong.

But I don't think you should be able to cheese the system and be able to have both of them available at the same time. Having an attack bonus ready, and a defensive bonus ready at the same time doesn't seem right. It seems like you should only be able to have one ready at a time.

Reactions: