• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
October 1446

Xaver was happy that Lübeck's new Master of Coin was delivering right away. His new plan for the city's economy seemed solid to him. He would ask the Stadtrat though whether they approve of van Buren's plan or not during the next session in November. The financial situation of Lübeck was worse than Xaver had expected. Hopefully it will improve in the months to come.
Another welcomed surprise was the application of Heinrich Harnischer as diplomat of the city. As a native of Mainz, Harnischer had good ties to the Rhineland which could prove useful in establishing a Hanseatic presence in the nearby city of Frankfurt.

Mr. Harnischer,
I welcome your application and would like to meet you in person. Why don't you stop by the town hall during the next days so we can discuss the details of your possible employment?

~ Xaver von Warendorf, Statthalter of Lübeck

Frankfurt was truly as Isaac remembered it. A crown jewel of the Empire, a massive edifice to art, commerce and banking... the beating heart of the Rhine region.

Walking on those cobbled and orderly streets, he could hear the many languages of the empire being spoken, ranging from Low and High German, Dutch, French, Italian and even Czech. In the distance, the newly built Eschenheimer Turm could be seen as well, dominating the skyline for miles on end. For a moment Isaac seriously considered turning off the main street to simply walk the many roads to and from the city centre, exploring the city with its various sights, smells and tastes.

But he could not. He was here on business. Making his way to the Römer which had only scant years ago been transformed into the City Hall, he is bid to enter the presence of the City Council led by Lord Mayor Georg Ickstadt, to whom Isaac begins to expand upon the various benefits and privileges that being a full member and ally of the Hanseatic League could gift them.

"Honourable Councillors of Frankfurt, thank you for making me welcome to your fair city. I come at the bidding of Xaver von Warendorf, Statthalter of Lübeck and leading member of the Hansa."

"For many years past the cities of Frankfurt and Lübeck have been friends, and whenever they've worked together great things have always been achieved... be it in coin, art or even political power for the smaller states of the Empire; such as our cities. My lord Xaver sees no reason for this to change, and indeed would like to expand upon that friendship by inviting Frankfurt to be a part of the greater whole in the Hansa, enabling goods from Baltic to transfer here, and goods from the south to make their way to the Baltic with minimum fuss."

"Obviously." He continues, smiling,"Such a thing would not only benefit the lowly merchants making the rounds between our cities, but also have the obvious... benefits such as tolls and dues for our cities, whom they would wish to trade and pass through. Thank you for hearing me out. I will now take questions."

Reactions:
Hendrik stood on his ship “de Geluksvogel”, just as they were docking in the Frisian city of Groningen to restock on food and water. He walked off, looking if he could find Heinrich to discuss some things with him.

Hendrik: “Heinrich! Where are you?”

Heinrich appeared from the crews quarters upon hearing his name ‘I’m here Hendrik, is everything okay?’

Hendrik: “Was going to ask you the same. Just wanted to make sure that nothing went wrong with the other ships.”

Heinrich: “After inspection of the entire fleet, everything seems to be fine. One crew member fell ill, but it seems to have passed. Now that we are in Groningen, I am sure we can find him a doctor if need be.”

Hendrik: “Good to hear. It should be safe to stay in Groningen for a couple of days while we restock.”

Heinrich nodded “I will continue to make sure nothing happens to the crew and to our ships while we restock. Is there anything else you need me to do?”

Hendrik gave Heinrich a small bag of guilders. “You should enjoy yourself here. It’s a nice city.”

Heinrich took the bag into his hands and smiled slightly “If you are sure there is nothing else more important for me to do”

Hendrik “There is nothing else important to do. Now excuse me, I have to do some important things in the city.”

Heinrich nodded again, and went back into the crew quarters to gather a few things before heading into the city

((I give @LadyAlyssa 0,5EP.))

The boy struggles to find his away through the streets and alleys crowded with merchants, beggers, burghers and guards, as he tries to find his way to the mansion of Friedrich Haas. When he and his horse finally manages to reach the city gates, he starts to gallop to the Haas villa outside the town. On his way, he spots countless tents outside the city walls. The Army must have returned from Lauenburg, he thought.

He knocked on the door of House Haas and an elderly, female servant opened the door. "Please hand this to Herr Friedrich, will you?" He said, as he handed the woman a letter sealed with blue wax. "Along with this." He pushed a rectangular package into the maiden's hands. The woman nodded and closed the door. The boy climbed back on his horse. He thought it might be nice to check out the tents and congratulate the watch.

God Dag, Herr Haas.

I write to you with a proposal that might bring the both of us joy and fortune. I have a lovely daughter, Julia, and you have a cousin, Alfred. I suggest a marriage between them. It will lead to further cooperation between our two families, which as you'll sure see, is a good thing. My family is huge in the Baltic sea and Herring industry. You are head of one of the Patrician families of Lübeck. Imagine the things we can achieve together.

If you, or Alfred, wish to know more about my dear Julia, you can always write me, as a visit is impossible due to my work in Riga. I hope you have recieved the painting of Julia I have sent along with the letter, in an effort to let Alfred know more about his possible bethrothed.

I wish you well, Herr Haas, and I hope you will write me back as soon as you find the time.
Ivar Lovdal

Lady_Charles_Spencer_1766.jpg

Friedrich was reading a book in the library of his family's mansion. in the middle of interesting chapter one of his servants walked in, disturbing his reading. "My lord, you have gotten a letter, and a bigger delivery as well. Most likely a painting." Friedrich watched the bigger package for a while, then he stood up and said "Thank you Elise." He didn't tell her to leave, so Elise just stood there, waiting for a command.

Friedrich opened the letter and read it. A merchant named Ivar Lovdal wanted to marry his daughter with Friedrich's cousin, Alfred. That might be good idea, but Friedrich wanted to be sure that this Lovdal is a man that can be trusted. "Elise, go get Alfred here. And also get my advisor Daniel here." Elise left, and while waiting for her to come back, Friedrich opened the package, which had a painting of the daughter of Ivar Lovdal, Julia. The painting was beautiful, especially the model, Julia. Friedrich made a smile, a sad one. He still missed his wife...

After a while Elise came back with Alfred and Friedrich's advisor Daniel. Friedrich was just staring at the painting, and after a while showed it to the others. "This is Julia. A daughter of Ivar Lovdal. Before continuing, Daniel, tell me what do you know of this Lovdal family." Daniel thought for a while, and took a quick look in his book "The Ivar Lovdal is rather rich merchant, and the head of his family. They are especially rich in the herring trade, my lord."

"That is what I wanted to hear, thank you Daniel" Friedrich replied, and continued "Alfred. Ivar Lovdal wants to marry her daughter with you. What do you say?" Alfred was little shocked. It was first time in his life he was asked a question of marrying someone. He thought for a while, looking in the picture. He was smiling. Julia was indeed a beautiful young woman, and Alfred was sure she would be a great wife.

"She looks... gorgeous. And like friendly, loving person. I think she would be a good wife, but I would want to get to know her better, is that okay?" Alfred finally said. Friedrich quickly replied "Of course my cousin! I will ask Ivar Lovdal if you two could meet, and get to know each other better." Friedrich gave a smile to Alfred. He smiled back. Both were happy of this situation. "Alfred, Elise, you can go. Continue the work I have done you, and if you have already done everything, please take a break." Friedrich said, and the two quickly left the room. He continued "Daniel, get me some paper and ink. I need to write a letter."

Good Ivar Lovdal

I received your letter, and the great painting. My cousin Alfred said he would happily marry Julia, but first wants to know her better. I promised him that, so is it possible that this young couple could meet each other before making final decision? I want Alfred to get happy marriage, and of course I want same for Julia. What do you say about that these two meet in the garden of my mansion? It is big and a peaceful garden, perfect place to meet.

Friedrich Haas
The Head of Haas Family

God Dag once more, Herr Haas

I am thrilled to hear my request has seen a positive response. I completely understand Alfred's wish to get to know Julia better, I'm sure Julia feels the same. After all, it's awful to wed a complete stranger. I will send word to Julia that she may come and meet you and Alfred in you manor. Please do not feel offended when I also send her brother, Steffen, along with her, since I am not in town to protect her. Her other two brothers are with me in Riga. Steffen is my oldest son, and heir to my company. I'm sure you'll get along with him. He is a bright young man, and at age 28, he is roughly the same age as your son. If you have any questions about me and my practises, feel free to ask Steffen.

I hope Julia and Alfred will get along, I hope the same for the two of us.

Yours truly,
Ivar Lovdal

The smell of freshly cut timber was still strong in Klaus's office, as it was in every one of the newly built structures of the Teutonic Order's enclave. In the two years since they arrived, the order had not experienced the prosperity they hoped for. As they could not actively recruit on the day of rest due to the will of God, they'd only received six recruits who had come to them and signed up without provocation.

Despite the slow increase, things in Lubeck were going well compared to Prussia. The reports had came in from the battle of Plock. Combined with other battles, most of the Teutonic army had been wiped out by the forces of the Polish and their vassals. The sovereignty of the homeland was very much at risk from the most likely heathen Poles. Klaus knew that the Statthalter would hardly grow more fond of the cause of God at this news and even if Lubeck joined the war, they would provide no significant factor.

As he didn't have enough troops to make any large difference, he issued orders to his men to prepare the Ballei for an influx of troops from the east if the war went disastrously.

Lastly, he went to the recently built chapel and prayed to God for a miracle in the war.

Sebastian looked, they were all here. He gave slight grin to them, then he sat down.

"Friends, I have recieved news from him."

"Wh-"

"Freidrich, the Emperor, Sforza, think before you spit something out of your month. Now, the news is, frankly, les sthan preferable." He slid the letter to the middle of the table, letting them all see.

"Hm... This is bad news. We needed those men, badly."

"Aye, shame he won't give them to us."

"But why wouldn't he?"

"Wars in Central Europe you twat. It's in the damn letter."

"But he isn't involved in any of those. He has no need for those me-"

"For defense."

"But all his neighbors are too weak to fight him."

"True."

"But still, his word is final."

"But we need those men."

"We can always get mercenaries."

"But why would they come to us?"

"Wait... Perhaps we could promise them something when we win? Money or what not."

"And it wouldn't allow them to recruit their own. So they have to fight with their current numbers."

"Yes... That is smart."

"Should I send another letter to hi-"

"Who?"

"Emperor. Imploring him to help with men."

"Tell him we doubt our capabilities without them."

"On it, Everyone is dismissed."

George Napier
Sebastian
Stefano Sforza
Catarina D'Montferrat
((Requesting rolls on hiring mercenaries by promising them money or positions in Lubeck if they join. Also, another letter to the Emperor telling him he can't win without his men and imploring him to send it to them.))

Last edited:
From the diary of Albrecht von Warendorf
03 January 1445
All the heathens in Lübeck are turning the city in a god-forsaken place. I cannot approve of my brother's policy of granting the Jews and even worse the Muslims rights. How many more Christians must die? Varna is a prime example of the brutality that the heathens are throwing against us. My heart tells me to talk to Xaver but I fear he will not understand.
[...]

28 April 1445
Today I saw a man being tempted by the devil himself. He told me that he could not afford to buy seeds due to a poor harvest last year. The devil made a pact with the Jews and guided the farmer to a money lender. I was outraged. Usury is a sin - we must not forget that.
[...]

February 1446
One of those heathens who goes by the name of Dreyfus now works for the city as a diplomat. I have been told he's been sent to Frankfurt. Maybe he'll meet one of those persecutors during his stay in the Rhineland?
I would like to become more active in the city's politics to prevent such but my all the trading keeps me busy. I need to train Torsten more so he can take some of my duties over. If only my day had more hours.
NUw3J92.jpg
[...]

June 1446
Merchants at the harbor have been talking about the negative impacts that the French-Burgundian war is causing. Access to the Dutch cities is limited and the price for cloth skyrocketed due higher demand by both armies. The latter makes it more expensive to for the common people to purchase cloth at the markets. Conducting trade in the Low Countries is nowadays unsafe and not as profitable as it used to be. Such a shame. I have sent two cogs to Steelyard to see whether the English are willing to sell the League some cloth at favorable rates due to our long-term partnership. However, with he high prices that are paid for cloth in France I assume that this is not likely.
[...]

October 1446
The salt between Lauenburg and Lübeck will soon flow again now that our troops have driven the Askaniers out of the province. Salted-fish still sells well and with easier access to salt it should be even more profitable than it already is.
My cogs have returned from London but overall the trip was not a success. Many foreign merchants were competing for the English cloth and only a few contacts of mine were willing to sell it for less than than an outrageous price. Torsten was onboard of one of the ships and stayed back at our community at Steelyard in case an opportunity for a good deal arises.
HUgCRrJ.jpg
[...]

Genoa, 1446

Enter Frederico Cadorna

"Frederico, I've got news for you" A battle-scarred veteran, sporting nice, yet practical clothing enters the room.

"What is it, Allesandro?" The younger, recently admitted captain turns to man

"Some notable mercenary companies are receiving recruitment letters from La Forza." The man reaches for glass and wine

"What kind of letters, is he looking to hire them?"

"It would seem so, from I've gathered. Curious that we did not receive such letter."

"And with La Forza camped outside Lubeck, where My father is..."

"Exactly."

"And why do you think he threatened Lubeck?"

"That, I cannot tell you for certain, but, the Emperor also seeks Mercenaries, likely to restore the Askaniers in Lauenburg. My best guess is La Forza is, in touch with the Emperor"

"Hmm....Allesandro, I think I take a quick, vacation, up north to visit my father, I have not seen him in 2 years, and I will some of our men, so that he may size them up."

"I will make the preparations."

Stadtrat Meeting, November 1446

After the garrison at Lauenburg had succumbed to starvation and diseases, Lübeck gained control of the town and its lucrative salt trade. Emperor Friedrich III of Austria did not approve of this conquest and demanded in a formal letter that the province was to be returned to House Askanier. On 08 November 1446, the Stadtrat of Lübeck met to discuss whether to give into the Emperor's demands or not. Xaver believed that it was best that such an important decision was taken not alone by him but by the Stadtrat.

"Gentlemen, our armies were victorious and the salt flows again between Lüneburg and the League. Now the Emperor wants us to give the province we just took back to those who made the life for our merchants difficult. More than a thousand Lübeckians left their lives on the battlefield in order to put an end to the harassment of the Askaniers. I fear that Emperor Friedrich III wants to restore said harassment. He sits far away in Vienna and does not understand our problems. This is why I say we shouldn't give in to his demands!"

((Given in to the Emperor's demands: No
Xaver von Warendorf, Patrician, Statthalter
))

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
((Give in to the Emperor's demands and return Saxe-Lauenburg to House Askanier: Yes | No | Abstain

The deadline for this vote is Saturday at 16:00 CET

Because this is the first voting session in Hanseatic Chronicles, I'll quote the the section on voting power from the rules, in case you have forgotten how voting power is determined. No voting outside this thread. All votes must be cast in bold. You may change your vote by making a new post in which you clearly state that you edited your vote, otherwise your vote might be invalid.

Voting Power in Hanseatic Chronicles said:
Voting Power

Voting Power in Hanseatic Chronicles - An Interactive Campaign differs than the systems used in The Sun Never Sets or Empire of the Mediterranean. A character's voting power (VP) is determined by three factors:

Number of legislative voting rounds a player has participated in.

• Players who have participated in 0-6 legislative votes have 1 VP
  • Players who have participated in 7-19 legislative votes have 2 VP
  • Players who have participated in 20 or more legislative votes have 3 VP
Positions that the character holds.
  • Holding an envoy position gives +1 VP (Merchant / Diplomat / Colonist / Missionary / Military Leader)
  • Holding a ministerial position gives +1 VP (Master of Coin, Chancellor, Commander of the Forces, Administrator of Subjects)
  • Being a Patrician gives +2 VP
  • Being the most influential Patrician House gives +1 VP
Accompanying your voting post with a quality IC.
  • Every player whose vote is accompanied by at least one IC in which he describes the decision making process of his character gets +1 Voting Power.
Characters who are currently in prison have their voting power reduced by 50%. Their voting power is rounded up.

Example: You, as the player, have participated in 8 legislative voting rounds. Your character is the chancellor of the nation and also a diplomat. Your vote is accompanied by two ICs. This means your total voting power is 5. 2 from having participated in 7+ votes; 1 from being chancellor, 1 from being a diplomat and 1 from having accompanied your vote with an IC.

Last but not least, there has also been a small change in the administration of the iAAR, @Janha is now the new co-host. Feel free to a look at his other works including Reindeer, Reindeer everywhere.))

"Why should we give in to the emperor's demands. We have lost many soldiers, may God have mercy upon their souls, and a lot of money in the conquest. Furthermore, we would lose a lot of prestige, as well as have another enemy nation on our borders. When we conquered Saxe-Lauenburg, the emperor did not intervene. Will he attack us if we do not give in to his demands? I think not. This is why I vote against giving in to the emperor demands."

((Give in to the Emperor's demands and return Saxe-Lauenburg to House Askanier: No
Hendrik van Buren, Master of Coin.))

Friedrich was in the Stadtrat Meeting. He was sitting in his place, thinking about many things, like the marriage between Julia and Alfred...
There has not been much talk in the Meeting so far, so he decided to stood up and tell his opinion.

"Gentlemen, I want to quickly tell my opinion on this matter. We conquered Saxe-Lauenburg, right? And what did we pay for it? The life of many soldiers. Over one thousand great soldiers died in the war, I'm sure they are with God now. We also spend a lot of money for this little campaign.
So why would we, after getting what we wanted, give it back to the Empire? I honor the Emperor's will, but this time his request was ridiculous. We just cannot accept it! I actually suggest that we try to improve our relations with the Austrian Emperor. Maybe he could forgive our bravado.

I will vote that We don't accept Emperor's demands, just like our wise Statthalter also voted."

Whilst he as a Jew was of dubious mention in the political circles of Lübeck, Isaac felt it was his duty as a diplomat and experienced traveller of the Empire to play the devils advocate. He did not expect to convince anyone, but he hoped to at least give some food for thought for the rest. Rising from his seat, he speaks out almost last.

"Whilst I can certainly see the value of Saxe-Lauenburg and its salt to the fair city of Lübeck and the Hansa, I must vote YES as to the Kaisers demands. The Danes are as strong as ever, and many of our neighbours would gladly see us fall to ruin. It is only with the Kaisers support and protection that we may defend ourselves from the predations of less advanced societies that might see this city subjugated and brought low. To maintain positive relations with the Habsburgs of Austria must be of paramount import."

Heinrich sat in a corner and listened to the Stadtrat, but when the objective changed to the emporers demands to release Saxe-Lauenburg he rose and spoke​
"We can't give in to the emporers demands. The death of thousand brave men wouldn't have any effect or reason. We can't give up our Stronghold in northern Germany. Every Nation needs a core region, and Saxe-Lauenburg is a part of this core."
((Give in to the emporers demands and return Saxe-Lauenburg to the House Askanier:NO))

Last edited:
((October 1446))

Heinrich walked through the streets, from his house to the town hall. The different tastes and smells were so intensiv. On the way he thought about the different ideas and destinations he wanted to talk about with the Statthalter He finally reached the town hall, and a guard asked him for any weapons. He had no weapons and so he was sent with a servant to Statthalter Xaver von Warendorf

Heinrich: "Good Day Mr. Xaver von Warendorf, you said we should meet to talk about my appointment and my ideas to raise our income"

Xaver was in the middle of studying trade maps when Heinrich entered. “Good afternoon. I’m glad to see you could come. What can I offer you to drink? Please, have a seat.”

Heinrich took a seat. "Some wine if it's no problem. I'll go straight: We shouldn't make the emperor our enemy and England could protect us against potential attacks. I've worked for a plan to give merchants from Lübeck more rights in London and in the textile trading. This could improve our relations with England and higher our income."

Xaver: “I agree with you that our relationship with the Austrians could be better and would be if the Emperor would have supported us in this trade conflict with Saxe-Lauenburg.”

Two servants entered the room with wine and water. Heinrich took wine while Xaver stayed with water.

After taking a sip, he continued. “I think we should shift the subject and talk more about you. What qualifications do you bring to the table? Convince me why you are the right man for serving as a diplomat of this prosperous city.”

"So," Heinrich started, "I have connections into many other cities. I have friends in Mainz, Venice, Riga, Prague, Vienna, Munich and London. Especially in London and Mainz i'm famous and known. I spoke with the English parliamentarians and merchants. You could sent me everywhere and I bet i would meet at least one of my friends."

Xaver was irritated by the arrogance and boasting of Heinrich but his connections in Mainz could be useful with inviting Frankfurt into the League. Before replying, he drank some water. Many thoughts crossed his mind, including rejecting his application.

“You are very convinced of yourself, Mr. Harnisch. I leave it to Isaac Dreyfus, who is currently working in Frankfurt as diplomatic representative of Lübeck, to decide whether you have the skills to become a full member of the diplomatic corps. If you agree then I’ll send word to him that you are going to be working under his guidance.”

"Of course it's up to you to decide. I hope Mr Dreyfus will decide as he think it's right. Thank you for the wine and the warm welcome, I'll leave," He bows his head in front of von Warendorf , "Mr Xaver."

((Joint-IC between @BelisariustheGreat and I))

- - - - - - -

After Xaver had met with Heinrich he contacted Dreyfus.

Dear Mr. Dreyfus,
I am sending a new lad by the name of Heinrich Harnischer to you to Frankfurt. He wants to join the Diplomatic Corps and shall be working under your guidance for now. I fear his arrogance might make him unfit for a diplomatic career but I leave that decision up to you. We should give him a chance though because he is a local of the Rhineland, from Mainz precisely.

Thank you for your work thus far.

Last edited:
My Lord,
Thank you for the assistance. I shall make the best use out of this asset and forge him into an instrument of the Hanseatic City. Would you like me to give him an assignment in a nearby town, or keep him with me to learn the art of diplomacy and guile of a politician?

By your will.
Isaac Dreyfus

@BelisariustheGreat your vote is in opposition to what you are saying.

Mr. Dreyfus,
After you evaluated him you may decide if he stays with you in Frankfurt or if you send him to a nearby town on a minor mission to gain field practice.

((Happened after the Stadtrat meeting, Mid-November 1446))

Friedrich and Alfred waved for Julia and her brother, Steffen. The two had been in the Haas mansion for the whole day. Friedrich spend most of the time with Steffen, while Alfred with Julia. Once the guests stepped in their carriage and left, Friedrich asked Alfred "So... What do you think of her?"

Alfred smiled and turned around "She was a really lovely woman." Alfred went inside, and Friedrich followed him. The two went to the sitting room and sat down. Friedrich continued "But would you marry her? I know it is a hard question, but you know how marriages work." Alfred was still smiling "I... I would gladly marry her."

Just couple of seconds after Alfred had finished his sentence, a servant came in. "I hope I didn't int interrupt anything. Do my lord want anything to drink?" she asked. After thinking couple of seconds Friedrich answered "Yes please. Get us some wine." After the servant had left Friedrich continued "So, I can write Ivar Lovdal that you two will get married?"
Alfred just nodded and said "Yes."

They both were quiet for some time. Finally the servant came back with the wine. The two spend the rest of the evening talking and drinking. Alfred will move away soon, so Friedrich wanted to spend as much time as possible with him before that happens.

I will quickly get to the point.
Alfred and Julia spend the day together, and they got along well. Both of them looked happy at the end of the day. Alfred even said he wold gladly marry Julia.

So the marriage will happen. I suppose the couple will get married in the Cathedral of Lubeck. I can arrange the wedding, but it will be costly. Though nothing will be too expensive for the young couple. You could also send a little dowry to help with the expenses, but I don't force you to do so.

I also got to know your son Steffen well. He is a well-behaved young man. You can be really proud of your children.

Friedrich Haas
The Head of Haas Family

Last edited: