• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Before the Stadtrat Meeting))

Dear Sir Heinrich,
thank you for your advice. As an experienced military leader, I would much rather see you as the future Commander of the Forces of Lübeck's army and navy than its new chancellor. Your work at my family's trade posts speaks for itself. Giovanni Cadorna is already 66 years old and won't live forever and, should I win the election, I must think about the future. I believe that your expectational leadership skills make you the ideal man to fill in Cadorna's shoes.

I would certainly sleep better if a man of our family was to lead our armed forces. There have been rumors that Twan van Buren is also planning to claim that position. He has been climbing the ladder and flying through the ranks for quite some time now. I personally wouldn't want to see him lead our troops though and not just because the last van Buren in a leadership position bankrupted himself.

~ Torsten von Warendorf

Hans missed Lübeck. The buzz of the trade district, the familiar comfort of the merchants peddling their wares. Lauenburg had none of that. While it was quiet, it was too quiet. Even Leipzig was better. But he had been taken from Leipzig, and the princedom of Saxony, to improve relations in Lübecks vassals of Lauenburg. He had received a letter from the Syndic, saying that the chancellor, his mentor, was dead. His fellow diplomat, Siegfried Altman, was also devastated by the news. Hans immediately set about writing letters, one to the Syndic, and one to Heinrich's heir, Jonas.
Herr Jonas,
I can only offer you my condolences in this terrible time. Your father was a friend, and a mentor of mine. I am sorry to hear of his passing. I hope that you will be as great, nay, greater, than your father. If you ever need anything, just ask.
Yours truly,
Hans Jäger
My Syndic,
I would be honored to serve under you as chancellor. You have my vote in the election, and my undying support for you in the administration of our great realm.
Yours Humbly,
Hans Jäger

Dearest Cos,
Thine point strikes the mark. If the lad Twan is about to turn his coat, it would indeed be favourable should a member od this extended clan of ours hold the reins of the army.. just in case.

We should meet, be it in yon estate or mine and hash out our plans for this election.

Heinrich von Raasch

165px-Commons_In_Session.jpg

The Elections of 1460
The concept of elections was a strange one to Heinrich. Born into the ruling class, the only elections he was familiar with was Imperial Elections which despite their name typically acted as little more than a stamp of approval for the rule of whichever Prince of German stood the highest. In the past decades that had almost invariably been the Austrian Habsburgs. The idea of Burgher elections however was quite alien to him... almost as alien as having been guided to a seat in said parliament. Though he'd married into the Warendorf clan and attained Lübeckan citizenship for this right, he was not quite sure how he felt about it. It felt a tad nauseating, almost akin to the 'snout counting' that the late Roman emperors had so casually dismissed.

Still, he paid attention to the proceedings, eyeing the Haas candidate as a fox would a chicken. The man was young, even younger than he with his now 30 winters, and clearly quite desperate to win. The amounts of money he was promising to throw around from his own not inconsiderable wealth was enormous, and spoke volumes on how he felt of his chances as based on his own merits.

Torsten on the one hand was counting on his being a known quantity and experience, outlining a plan which did not have any obvious bribes, though Heinrich suspected his good cos was already bribing other electors with future offices should he win. He could see no flaw with the case though, and briefly applauds when Torsten finishes before waiting for Fischer to make his case.​

((IC Between myself and @delpiero))
October 1460; Before the Stadtrat meeting

The hour of the wolf was fast approaching and the church bell and tolled several times as Heinrich covered up his young wife under the covers, noting that her carrying his child only made her more of a sleeping beauty. The child was due any day now, and Heinrich was doing his best to avoid stressing her anymore than the death of her beloved grand-father already had. Slowly climbing down the doors with a candle, he looks around what to most citizens of Lübeck is a fine townhouse with something akin to pride and prejudice at the same time.

It was by far not comparable to the houses of the Patricians or the richer Burghers, but the dowry and Heinrich’s own salary had ensured it was at least comfortable and warm… and all his. Not given or inherited, but earned. A warm hearth was burning near the centre of the ‘living room’ with his hound Rex sleeping next to it.

Going through the cupboards, Heinrich pulls out a decanter of wine and two mugs, sitting down as he awaits his guests arrival.

Torsten traveled to Heinrich’s house by carriage, the luxury of being a wealthy Patrician. Heinrich and his father Albrecht were his closest confidants and so he valued his input. He arrived in the late afternoon, knocked at the door and was walked their living room.

“Good afternoon, Heinrich. How are you? This rainy weather in Lübeck is not to my liking.” He laughed jokingly. “Thank you for the invitation.”

Opening the door and noting the additional visitor, Heinrich smiles and shakes Torstens hand before motioning him into the living room and the comfortable seats,”I stand well cos. Rainy though it may be, Lübeck surprisingly stands more comfortable than the barracks at Hamburg or Riga. Would you care for wine, or possibly cider?”

“Some cider, please. I’m a little bit thirsty. How is the defense of the trade posts? Albrecht said there have been only minor problems the last time he heard from you.” Torsten sat down on a nearby chair.

Heading back into the kitchen to pick up another mug and the cider, Heinrich pours for each of the two men before taking a seat as well, shrugging at the query,”No major problems. After it was made clear to the men that they would change to fit the job rather than the other way, they’ve become quite sterling at their jobs and the few bandits and corsairs that dare venture against the posts have been easily driven off. Mine only concern now stands should Fischer and Haas join forces to take the posts down, but even then I believe we’d give a fair accounting of ourselves.”

“The new head of House Haas, Markus, is an inexperienced lad but also very unpredictable. I hope he won’t dare to make a move against us. If you need more ducats to improve the defenses please let me know, or better Albrecht as he is more involved in the trading business and finances of our family.” He took a sip of his cider. “Ah, tastes delicious. Thank you very much.”

“Certainly.” Heinrich notes with a nod of respect to the man,”Depending on how these elections go we might have to, though obviously should you emerge the Statthalter the von Warendorf empire will survive at least for another 4 to 8 years.” Smirking a bit as he sips his wine, he continues with a more political line of thinking,”Speaking of elections and innocent waif’s such as Markus; have he and Fischer come to an accord on which of the two of them they will drive forth as the main candidate, or shall they divide up their support by both standing for election?”

“If I only knew! Last time the Haas family supported Fischer. I don’t know if the young Markus Haas will support Johannes Fischer this time or if he will run himself.”

“What does your heart tell you?” Heinrich jests,”But truthfully it matters not… if the supporters of Xaver remain true to the Warendorf clan you should have this election in the bag.. Though counting on the loyalties of men once bought to remain the same is as hoping for it not to rain in Lübeck. Let me know if I may offer assistance to you on that front somehow.”

Torsten had to think for a moment and so took a sip of his mug of cider. “I think Haas will support Fischer. He is too inexperienced to become statthalter so I don’t think he’ll run but one never knows.. In your letter you wrote that you like my proposal of eventually serving as Commander of the Forces, I am glad to hear that, I must say.”

“Aye… aye.” Heinrich muses thoughtfully on the political topic, not really familiar with the Three Houses yet. He’d gotten the cliff notes, but this was his first election,”But I would stand a fool were I not willing to accept an offer to command an army. The only reason I did not openly broach the subject with yourself or yon grandfather was out of respect for Cadorna. An old warhorse he may be, but he’s shown distinction and valour in his service and it seemed… improper to speak of such things afore his passing. Who knows? He might even outlive us all!”

“He might indeed but we must be prepared in case he doesn’t.” Torsten laughs. “The thought of a van Buren leading our forces makes me sick.”

“I had thought the van Buren’s were basically envassalaged to the Warendorfs.” Heinrich queries, his sole experience with Twan having been a few nights out with the younger Warendorf and rumours of the man’s father's bankruptcy,”Would the youth truly change his coat so towards his benefactors without so much as a ‘by your leave’?”

“Hendrik was indeed a good friend of my house but his son does neither appreciate nor value the alliance, unfortunately. My lawyer von Stade met Twan van Buren and their meeting did not go well. Twan doesn’t support my candidacy”

Considering the situation for a moment, Heinrich recalls his meeting in the woods with the Other Heinrich and Twan. Even then the youth had seemed moody and changeable, but he’d not suspected he would be so much so. Not that the support of a single disenfranchised burghers son mattered, but clearly the youth had risen to his captaincy by virtue of favour rather than valour, so it got a rise out of Heinrich whom could feel the bile rising in his throat. No blood nor glory, but vainglorious ambition clearly.

“Well, you’ll still have mineself and likely much of the crust that has gained under Xaver’s rule. I give you fair odds at winning, but then again these are my first elections. Would you like me to prepare for the possibility of yon defeat, and if so… how?”

“In case I lose the election, I would like you stay in charge of our trade posts’ defences. But let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.” Torsten was fairly confident of his victory but one should never be too sure. “If I lose, I most likely also lose my position as Master of Coin, in that case I would go to the Rhineland and represent the Hanseatic League’s interests there.”

“Well then… I believe that settles business, aside for one issue: I would ask if you would stand as mine child’s godfather when the time comes?” The position of godfather was a sacred Christian duty and meant that should Heinrich and Anne-Marie both perish, the wardship and safety of the child would fall upon Torsten.

Torsten was full of joy
. “But of course! What an honour! I gladly be the godfather of your new child. We should toast to that!” He raised his cup.

Smiling, Heinrich raises his mug in a joyful toast. Come what come may, they’d be ready for it.

Reactions:
The Elections

Markus Haas and Torsten von Warendorf have held their starting speeches. Aldermen chatted about the two candidates, while they were waiting for the last Patrician, Johannes Fischer. Surprisingly, he informed everyone that he didn't run for the Statthalter position. He had personal reasons for it, but most of the aldermen were sure that he have just been extremely busy with his ever-expanding business. Once again, the aldermen only had two candidates to choose from.

((Debate has started!
Unfortunately @Istarsamu didn't make his starting speech in time, so we must continue without it. Don't worry Istarsamu, you can still take a part in the debate!))

Markus was surprised of the Fischer's decision, but he surely had good reason for it. Soon Markus got one copy of the Torsten's agenda. Agenda, it was a good idea, and Markus thought he could make his own one. He took a quill and started writing it, while the aldermen were talking about Fischer's decision.

It didn't took him long to write the agenda. He came up with some extra points, that he hadn't mention in the first speech. He went to the speaker's desk, and waited for everyone to be silent.

"Honorable aldermen of Lübeck. I want to present you my agenda." Markus read his agenda out loud, as he didn't have copies of it. He hoped that the aldermen listened closely.

Markus Haas' Agenda:
  • The army of Lübeck shall be be expanded with at least 3000 soldiers.
  • The navy of Lübeck shall be expanded with at least four new galleys. Money can be saved by disbanding three cogs of Lübeck.
  • A Kontor shall be build in the English city of Calais to strengthen the influence of Lübeck in the English Channel.
  • The Jewish communities of Lübeck shall keep the rights they already have. The law concerning Jews shall not be changed.
  • The citizens of Lübeck shall be helped every way possible. For example, Hospitals and almshouses of Lübeck shall be supported.
  • Lüneberg shall be integrated into Lübeck. That way the province can administered better. The integration shall not be started too early.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Twan was surprised. Fischer didn't run for election! This could only mean one thing: Fischer supported Haas for election. Would they be able to best Torsten von Warendorf? But he had to do his speech:

"Herr von Warendorf is expanding the army to defend ourselves from Mecklenburg-Schwerin. But what if I told you, that this army is not for defence. It is an army for offense, against the Duchy of Stade. Torsten doesn't want the best for our republic, not defend our trade: he wants to conquer. He wants to send hundreds, if not thousands of Lübeckers to their deaths. Lübeck is a republic of trade, not a conquering empire. Stade may be allied to a rival of ours, and Lüneburg may claim their lands; but we do not want another war. What about some peace for a couple of years? Take the men and money we put into war and invest it into our merchants, our cities and integrate the peoples we have conquered and subjugated mere years before, when Xaver von Warendorf was still in power. We need peace and use the money for better things."

Twan sat down again, hoping to have convinced some people about Torsten's warmongering, and to vote for Haas.

Last edited:
Suppressing his urge to laugh at the comedy of errors, Heinrich realizes that he need not remain silent himself and upon being recognized by the chair rises from his seat, mustering his oratory.

"I would thank both of the honoured candidates for outlining their goals and aspirations for the Lübeckan state, and furthermore thank the young van Buren on lessons of republican rule. I had thought that these debates would be held between the candidates, with the Floor allowed to present questions to them, but I now know they apparently also allow for direct addresses to the Electorate."

"However, I will not be so grass, and would address a question to each of the candidates in turn."

"Herr Haas." He begins, studying the young man,"Do you foresee a possibility of troubles in your rule given that you failed to arrive to this very debate with a prepared agenda? Will the Republic we are supposed to entrust to you be handled in so ragged a manner as you've done to your campaign plans, and if no, what assurances can you give this electorate that unlike today you will come into the office with a plan?"

Despite the polite tone, Heinrich's words are filled with blades and cutting questions aimed towards putting the man on the defensive. Should he not answer any of them he'd appear as if he could not, and should he do so he would appear to be trying to explain away flaws not yet revealed.

"As for you, Herr von Warendorf." He continues,"Can you outline why you feel an intervention against Verden is necessary? Why should the Republic interfere to press the Lüneburger claim and what advantages would a victory on that front bring?"

It was an easy question which would allow Torsten to make promises he would obviously not need keep should the forces of the republic be defeated.

((A new addition on spending EP has been added for unladed nobles who wish to become landed.

1. An unlanded noble may purchase an estate for 30 EP. He can then adopt the title of baron.
  2. The character needs to be on good-terms with the statthalter, as in the statthalter has to approve the investment. Should he not approve the land purchase then 2/3 of the invested EP are returned to the character.
  3. This rule only applies for as long as Lübeck is a republic. In a monarchy, landed titles will be handed out by the head of state.))

Last edited:
Torsten had expected Johannes Fischer to run and was worried that he would now support Markus Haas because last election Friedrich Haas supported him. That would complicate the election very much for Torsten which is why he wanted to talk to Fischer in private at an opportune moment. But first he had to reply to the questions of van Buren and Raasch. Torsten stood up and decided to address von Raasch first.

"Esteemed Sir von Raasch, an excellent question. The Bishopric of Verden is not a member of the Hanseatic League and does not follow its laws. It is one of the few German-speaking North Sea countries which does not work together with the Hansa. Furthermore, we would please our subjects of Lüneburg by pressing their legitimate claim for them. The most important aspect though is that it would get us through Lüneburg a direct access to the North Sea. No longer would we have to rely on our Hanseatic allies. We would be independent from them and our merchants could freely trade in Verden which they currently can't. Verden has been our rival for a few years now and our Bremer allies would support such a military intervention."

Then he turned towards Twan van Buren.

"Mr. van Buren, the republic has been at peace for the majority of the sixteen years in which Xaver von Warendorf has been its statthalter. In fact, we have been at peace for almost three years now and during the late statthalter's aterm the republic fought only a single war against Lüneburg. The war with Lüneburg was the last remaining option to resolve the salt crisis. Prior to that, the statthalter had sent a diplomatic delegation led by the most honourable Johannes Fischer to negotiate with the Lüneburger Duke. But these negotiations have failed have failed. If a skilled diplomat such as Johannes Fischer was unable to negotiate a peaceful solution then I say it was the right decision to call upon the military to solve the conflict. War is not something us Warendorfs declare lightly, rest assured of that."

After he replied to both aldermen, he sat down again in his chair listening to the debate.

((Edit: fixed little typo))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Olivier was quite taken aback by some of the points made by Seigneur Haas. He had expected him to expulse the Jewish communities from the city, being the devout Catholic he was said to be. Either he was inconsistent in his logic, fame hungry, or a schemer. None of those traits were desireable in a Stadthalter. Olivier decided to speak up.

"Esteemed aldermen of the Council, if you'll let me speak, I hope you see. I am aware that many of you won't have heard of me. I am aware that many of you won't listen to the arguments I make, the stances I take or the words that I say. Yet I shall speak anyway. For no man must stand idly by and watch as malice spreads and the vultures fly."

"The tolerance and freedom in this proud city may be a given to many of you, but be sure of this, it is not. I myself have seen the horrors of tyranny, and you shall see the same if you were to travel to the Low Countries. The Spaniards force their rules, culture and practises down the people's throat. What we have in this Republic is a society seen in a thousand, and we must not let greedy politicians and envious men rob us of this beacon of tolerance that shines so brightly."

"A Society can only grow under tolerant men, men who see that each and every man should be free to think, act and speak as he wishes. Torsten von Warendorf is one of these men. His uncle has led this city onto a path of great fortune and wealth, and I am certain that Herr Torsten shall lead us even further down that path. Herr Xaver's term has been prosperous, and there is every indication that Herr Torsten's one will be prosperous as well. We mustn't divide ourselves into political parties when a perfect candidate is already here. Torsten von Warendorf is both the most experienced and capable man running, and my vote shall go out to him. I pray that you honorouble gentlemen will do the same."

Reactions:
"Sir," He looked to the Haas, " how is the building of a trade post in London at all related to our navy. If anything, it would only stretch it out, if we were to defend it of course. And with the instability that England has seen in recent times, I believe that such hefty investments is not in our favor. And i would, in fact favor more influence in the Baltic, in particular trade posts in important centers of trade in the Sea itself. Trade in this region is our lifeblood, and we should get more of it coming to us to Lubeck. And another question is whether the profits will be shared with the Haas from this, new, kontor. And you should mention facts, how many ships will be made? If we do not know this, then we can know the financial strain such a project could have on our economy.

And more soldiers, in my opinion, is not needed. We have no enemy at the moment that could threaten us in the North. Let us not waste money on a thing we do not need, and instead, maybe, spend money on other things. Vague promises will do nothing. We need action, and as I know from Herr Torstens time as Master of Coin, he is this sort of man.

And to Herr Von Buren. An army does not only need to be for one use, it can however, be used for both sides. We must prepare for war, if we do not wish for it to take us unexpectedly. If you wish for peace, Mr. Van Buren, prepare for war. And although the use of our forces should be used to protect our interest, with war as the last straw. We must be prepared for both, if we wish not for ruin."

I decided to join Lubeck

Name: Gabriel Von Baumeister
Birth-Date: 17 December 1430
Religion: Catholicism

Bio:
Gabriel was a Polish Noble. His Father came from a diffirent family and his mother decided to keep the family name of Christian. But after his Mother died he was adopted into the Von Baumeister family which orginally resided in Oldenburg. His time in Poland was spent in putting state interests at the top and ensuring that his family is stable.

Knowing of the riches in Lubeck. He moved there with his personal wealth to find that a chapter of his family remained there which was an old mansion. With the family name in hand, he took the mansion for himself and repaired it and used it as a home base to attract the Von Baumeisters into Lubeck and become the most influential and power family while ensuring Lubeck lives as a Republic.

Gabriel is loyal to Lubeck and Poland, he is a Genius in planning but is quite clumsy in other matters. He is a law expert and would ensure that state interest and his loyalty come first above everything else as he knows if he has the country on his side then other families won't dare to stand in his way of power...

Reactions:
Gabriel stood on the balcony of his manor. He has yet to come to the elections and cast his opinion. He knows that the candidates don't seem to care about the internal affairs of the state. He looks in the sky as the clouds devour the sun. "Time is running short"

Gabriel hesitates but goes to the Meeting and would sit quietly in the corner, hoping no one notices him. "I will sit here and listen to them" He thought to himself. "I will make sure that a competent person is elected"

As they day continues he listens to the men casting their opinions on the matters and he waits for the right moment... waiting...

Reactions:
Cadorna, who had been silent thus far, weighed in on the two very similar plans for the republic. He noted that both seemed to support the rights of the jews, a questionable selling point, he thought.

"Both the agenda's you bring forth are agreeable to me, with one exception. It would be unwise to suddenly uproot the existing Jewish community, unlike the near non-existent Muslim one, but there is something that could be done to save them. I demand more effort and a detailed plan to encourage them to walk the path of Christ. They are misled, not evil."

As he sat down, he wondered how people would react, keenly aware that there was a Jew in the Stradrat. People knew he was a stern catholic, what whispers would be made of his relative lenience towards the jews?"

Johann settled into his seat watching as the Christian patricians debated and talked in the hall he kept to himself observing the proceedings. He had been promised a synagogue by Von Warendrof but he was still suspicious he needed to be this people had expelled a entire community albeit a small one but he needed to protect his interests. He was a devout jew and would go to the synagogue every so often but his second son Efraim who currently resided in the court of the Sultan of the Ottomans in Constantinople ( a position bought by his fathers wealth) had converted to Islam.Observing the Proceedings he wrote down the names of potential allies who had spoken His list so far consisted of : Giovanni Cadorna,Gabriel Von Baumeister( The Polish were the most tolerant of Christian kingdoms even accepting muslims into their kingdom)Olivier Dupont and the Von Warendorf faction ( though Johann is still suspicious especially because of Warendorf's lying) Johann decide he needed to speak up to alert all in the hall of his presence.

"As a influential member of the Jewish Community I thank all those in this hall for their logical words and approach to the Jewish Community instead of burning us at the stake like the Spanish do ( some in the crowd burst out into laughter ) or hunting us down in mobs with a Pitchfork ! My only request is to build a Synagogue as our only Synagogue is filling up with Jews come here to escape persecution we have always been as patriotic to the city of Lubeck as any catholic german would be .Thank you for listening to my proposition and I hope you accept it "

With that Johann sat back down in his seat he was never that good with politics he prefered handling money and cajoling young catholic ladies or bargaining for silk with an Ottoman Pasha.

Once again the woes of republicanism caused Heinrich to roll his eyes from his seat. This 'debate', a chance to question the candidates directly was turning into little more than an opportunity for every petty citizen to address the hall about their pet issues, with the actual debate having long since died down since nobody seemed to be asking the candidates for their stand on matters of state. Clearly a sign that a competent Prince truly stood well and above this rabble and their populism.

From the diary of Albrecht von Warendorf

December 1456
The republic has finally ended the the salt crisis. The first carriages loaded with salt from Lüneburg have reached Hamburg and our friends no longer have to rely on imports from Salzburg. Lübeck's position in the Hansa is growing stronger every day. I fear that the other members might eventually evaluate us as a threat.

May 1457

I have visited Riga today to evaluate the trade post there. The hemp trade is going well and with the employment of Heinrich von Raasch the local garrison is finally being supervised by a capable military leader. If the Fischers or Haas make a move against us then we are prepared now more than ever. Tomorrow I meat with Jans Meijere, a local merchant who wants to sell us a surplus of lumber on which he managed to get his hands on.

July 1457
The lumber shipment from Riga has reached the port of Lübeck. I asked my brother's son Heinrich to help me with the sale but he was too 'busy'. Probably frequenting a tavern or brothal again. If I was Heinrich's father I wouldn't tolerate such a spoiled brat as my son.

April 1458
Today I overheard that our rivals from East Frisia had a spy network established right here in Lübeck! I am proud that our city guard caught the spies. I wonder if they managed to steal any valuable documents. Hopefully, these intruders get tried and executed!

February 1459
Innocentius VIII is our new Pope. A Venetian by birth, Innocentius VIII has taken over a Papacy which finds itself in the most desolate state after the long and exhausting war with Provence. Despite that, he called for a crusade to retake Jerusalem! I do not want to doubt his judgment, after all, the Lord has chosen him, but I do not understand why we must go on a crusade. Have we not learned from Varna? Why must men die in this war which cannot be won?

May 1459
I am starten to be frightened by the Trastamaras. First, the Castilian branch claims the Low Countries and now the Aragonese branch has formed a personal union with the Byzantine Empire. We must get on better terms with them - our relations are too cold.

September 1459
I've been sick for days now. The doctors said I need to rest but I simply cannot - there is always something to do. Sometimes I wonder though if I work too much. Then every time the Lord speaks to me and says I must keep going. I trust the Lord's judgment. He will cure me from this fever.

November 1459
A fire broke out in Hamburg near our trade post, damaging a great number of houses. Business in Hamburg could have been better, honestly. I was expecting that two years after the salt crisis had come to an end the city would be thriving again but not so much. The Hamburger statthalter is an incompetent fool.

July 1460
Today is a black day for the Holy Roman Empire because we are under attack! Polish soldiers have invaded the Czech lands but our brave emperor Ludwig II has come to their defence. Lübeck must send shipments of food to Prague but our connections there are limited. Maybe Johannes Fischer could be of help here? His family runs the most successful trade post in the area.

[...]

"Herr von Rennenkampf, I know you are young; but that does not excuse ignorance. Not only do you claim thay Herr Haas didn't say how many ships would be build, which, as he stated, was 4, you also completely ignore the fact that Herr von Warendorf also wants to do a large expansion of the military, although smaller than that which Haas proposed."

Twan drank a little bit out of his glass of water.

"Not only that, you support a 2-front war against the duchies of Stade of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, without expanding our military to heights in which we would actually be able to WIN the war herr von Warendorf suggested, although with large casualties and the probable siege of the city of Lübeck itself by the forces of the duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Is this what Lübeck needs? I ask all of the Aldermen to consider: Does Lübeck need a war which it will only barely win, or even worse, get defeated in, and not for ending ending something important to our republic: it is to claim lands for a governate of ours. Do we really want to risk the wealth of our city, our subjects in Lüneburg and the salt routes to Hamburg we have secured, just for the purpose of conquest."

Twan sat down again.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Torsten had listend to the speeches. Cadorna's request could not be met without upsetting the Jews so he did not talk about it. He had already promised Johannes Bärnstein not to prohibit the construction of a synagogue should he be elected and so he did not comment on that either, first waiting to see what Markus Haas would say about these issues. He also noticed the every quiet Gabriel von Baumeister, a man who was difficult to read wondering who he was supporting.

"Twan van Buren, two times you have shown all the present aldermen that not only are you an uneducated man but more shockingly you understand not even the basics of foreign politics. Let's talk about Verden. What do you know about Verden?" He waited for a moment. "Nothing of course. You foolishly believe that the country is ruled by a duke!" Torsten had to laugh

"Let me give you a short history lesson on Verden, Mr. van Buren: Did you know that Verden has been a prince-bishopric for almost 280 years? Before Verden became a prince-bishopric, it was bishopric ever since the 800s. Verden has had a religious ruler for centuries! Every half-educated Lübecker knows that. Dock workers know it, shopkeepers do too, but our aldermen Twan van Buren does not. I must say I am shocked by your ignorance." He continued after catching his breath.

"I suggest you leave foreign politics to those who understand it. I pray to the Lord that you will never hold a public office because a man with your incompetency would only ruin the prosperity of our beloved republic."

Then he paused and addressed the aldermen. "Esteemed aldermen, Twan van Buren has shown that he should not be trusted. I can only urge you not to believe this man's madness."

(((Edit: @ThePatriotOfDreumel has changed his IC to make my reply look bad. That's god-modding and not allowed. He said Duchy of Stade before editing it.))

Last edited: