• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

atwix

Manager of Micro
53 Badges
Mar 2, 2014
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Empire of Sin
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
O2XIUOo.jpg

North America.

It has been years since I played in this region :confused:

Time to rectify that.

North America has a load of native tribes, the one more powerful then the other.

Iroquios is likely the most powerful one, given their location and traditions/ambitions.

But..

That would be TOO easy ;)

Instead I'll play one of the most remote nations on the map, in the Northwest Pacific, ON VERY HARD MODE.

Call me crazy if you like.

89JUM4C.jpg

HAIDA!

They are located near the coast of Alaska Panhandle, on the Queen Charlotte islands. In reality, they also live on the Prince of Wales island, north of it.

Pacific Northwest ideas

Traditions:

+10% Morale of Armies
−10% Land attrition
Great Whale Hunts

+5% Discipline
Dugout Canoes

+20% Trade range
Totem Poles

+1 Diplomatic reputation
Potlatch Feast

+10% Domestic trade power
Legacy of Raven

+1 Land leader maneuver
Salmon Migrations

+10% Goods produced modifier
Noble Castes

−10% Stability cost modifier
Ambitions:

+1 Yearly prestige

77pi9ax.jpg

They have an INSANE amount of development! 1/1/1 :rolleyes:

In all honesty, I don't think there are harder nations to WC with then these northwest pacific 1/1/1 native American tribes. But this is very hard mode, and survival versus the colonizers will come FIRST. World conquest isn't my goal here..

I intend to do a sunset invasion of the European colonizers instead, and see where I end up.

HAIDA are peaceful and live as fishermen and such.

But..

They have a NEW god now :eek:

One that will lead HAIDA to a whole new destination.. And destiny :)

He'll admit his goals *eventually*

I'll be very happy if I can manage sunset invasion achievement conditions using Haida, and if I can grab all institution origin provinces for the achievement.

I seriously doubt WC will be possible, given current institution spread mechanic. You won't be able to protecorate Ming and Asia late game, as they simply won't be eglible.

And, protectorates are not useful anymore. Even IF I somehow manage to protecorate Ming they'd simply go independent if they embrace enough institutions..

But.. we'll see.

MOD LIST:

80 loadingscreens (changes loadingscreens to historical paintings):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251964175

Ars pictorica color (changes event pictures to historical paintings): mod is gone from steam workshop, but here is link to file: http://www.filedropper.com/arspictorica

Better UI 1.18: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=dutch&id=329756290

Bigger peace view, diplomacy, macrobuilder, war screen collection: they are on steam workshop

GFX overhaul (must have mod): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=381321692

Historical quotes on loadingscreens (synergizes with 80 loadingscreens): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412510034

TBARW extra: transparant political mapmode (synergizes with GFX overhaul): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=dutch&id=310638421

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Chapter 1: Migration --> link

Chapter 2: Peace out now? --> link

Chapter 3: The East Coasts --> link

Chapter 4: A cunning move --> link

Chapter 5: Sailing into the Sunrise --> link

Chapter 6: Guerrilla warfare --> link

Chapter 7: Opportunism for the win --> link

Chapter 8: Big blue blob --> link

Chapter 9: Valuable Valois --> link

Chapter 10: France bled a lot --> link

Chapter 11: Balls to the wall --> link

Chapter 12: FULL THROTTLE! --> link

Chapter 13: The meat grinder --> link

Chapter 14: ROLL OUT! --> link

Chapter 15: We bled for this --> link

Chapter 16: GET THAT PAPER! --> link

FINAL Chapter: Keep on shuffling --> link

Watch me stream on Twitch (my twitchname is atwix_x): Twitch or watch the playlists on Youtube channel : Youtube

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 1: Migration

c99mvf0.jpg

This new god, called Atwix, commands them to migrate SOUTH.

XXoBnHV.jpg

Native American tribes CANNOT fabricate claims. Usually, they do some humiliate rival wars, and that is it.

There is other option though, and that is no cb best cb.

Haida invaded their Salish neighbours..

DgCgu7f.jpg

They got vassalised. Haida intends to stay one province minor, to retain their ability to MIGRATE.

Important tip: negative stability shortens the period between migrations. Which is why no cb is best cb here. You can migrate to all provinces within same sea zone now!

OhJHMfj.jpg

Salish were not amused :confused:

But the Haida made a new totem pole in their capital, and Atwix magically increased the yield of their sheep, giving more wool production.

The Salish were in awe, and their liberty desire lowered to below 50%.

Important tip: it is possible now to build stuff in subjects, and also to develop them. This lowers their liberty desire. This can be useful, if you want to use the subject troops to expand! Below 50% LD, they will attach to you if you set their behaviour as supportive.

th7U1hv.jpg

The Haida and the Salish now descended upon their Chinook brethren..

78gn3UQ.jpg

The Chinook didn't give in as easy as the Salish :confused:

23mt6jb.jpg

But, after a couple of battles the Chinook were completely wiped out..

gLhvKor.jpg

Chinook became the second vassal of the HAIDA.

T00E4eP.jpg

"This has made us the first choice of traders around the world."

Yeah right.

Anyways, Haida migrated again, ever more south.

ABWWpRb.jpg

Native American tribes have their own ideas, outside of the classic idea groups. Haida takes the first diplomatic one, TRAVOIS. This shortened the time between migrations even more.

54GuC2C.jpg

Haida migrated south in the next years. Little more happened..

mtmDkLH.jpg

As reward for not being corrupt, Haida gets free stability.

We can declare a war again!

Atwix decided to cancel the vassalage of Salish :cool:

pDs19Yr.jpg

Chinook had been developed quite a lot by now, and Atwix decided to absorb the Tribe of Salish into Chinook..

rMObGv4.jpg

After a few battles, the Salish were wiped out. Chinook took over their land :D

WTuA1tQ.jpg

The TRAVOIS idea has one big advantage: if you migrate, it also removes fog of war in all neighboring provinces.

The Haida discovered Colima!

2MBG1Mp.jpg

GOLD!

That is why Atwix commanded the HAIDA to migrate south..

Gold is the HOLY metal!

These Mexican nations sure love to fight over it, so it seems..

Maybe we can take advantage of that :cool:

9QSmkcT.jpg

Haida set new rivals, and Atwix conjured very legitimate documents which show we have a historical claim on their provinces! Glorious will Haida be!

tl8dMdg.jpg

Haida migrated east to Guamares, and more nations were discovered..

The AZTEC!

Atwix gave the head shaman a divination..

Aztec was losing BADLY in a war and had NO troops left..

1jzaJBH.jpg

They still had their vassals Totonac and Zapotec.

For some reason, these Nahuatl nations need loads of vassals...

"DOOM!" said Atwix.

It looks like the Aztec are doomed allright..

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Last edited:
Reactions:
NO WAY, Haida WC in 1.18 :eek:?! I must have gone mad! I will obey your orders God Atwix, Manager of Micro, Ruler of All Peoples.

I think I have a goal back in life with this :D. All aboard the hype train.

May you succeed in your goals, I'm all in :).

NO WAY, Haida WC in 1.18 :eek:?! I must have gone mad! I will obey your orders God Atwix, Manager of Micro, Ruler of All Peoples.

I think I have a goal back in life with this :D. All aboard the hype train.

May you succeed in your goals, I'm all in :).

err, I never said I would attempt world conquest.

That is likely impossible on very hard mode with a native american tribe.

I think SURVIVING versus the colonizers will be priority ;)

err, I never said I would attempt world conquest.

That is likely impossible on very hard mode with a native american tribe.

I think SURVIVING versus the colonizers will be priority ;)
Ok, I just assumed that was your goal because of your other AAR's. Nonetheless, I am surprised to see it in patch 1.18 and not 1.19, what made you start already?

Ok, I just assumed that was your goal because of your other AAR's. Nonetheless, I am surprised to see it in patch 1.18 and not 1.19, what made you start already?

scientific discovery of patch status.

Or something ;)

Which mod do you use for the event pictures? They are listed in your Jangladesh game (I still play 1.17.1), but the link seems to be dead and I can't find the mod in the workshop.
Thanks (and sorry if the answer is obvious)!

Which mod do you use for the event pictures? They are listed in your Jangladesh game (I still play 1.17.1), but the link seems to be dead and I can't find the mod in the workshop.
Thanks (and sorry if the answer is obvious)!

heh, it is still same mod.

The owner of the mod deleted it on steam workshop.

Here is a link to it, (safe ;)) http://www.filedropper.com/arspictorica

Unzip that in documents/paradox/eu4/mod (well you get the idea) and vink it on in launcher.

Reactions:
WC will be practically impossible. Because unlike Jangladesh run there is no room for early snowballing.

But you can go for achievement Fanatic Collectivist. Anyway good luck.

I DID start with WC in mind, and then I noticed I was on VERY HARD mode during first mexico war.

I briefly toyed with idea to restart and use normal difficulty, and to conquer the world as American native, the way @ikkiks did in 1.9 with Iroquios.

I decided to stay on very hard.

why?

1. once you played very hard mode, it is REALLY hard to consider 'normal' campaign again. Unlike normal mode, very hard makes a wc campaign 'very hard' until the end. I won't forget how AUSTRIA was a TOUGH nut to crack in my Jangladesh run, even late game. I remember needing full merc forcelimit to throw their constantly attacking stack back in the Netherlands area.. On normal difficulty, there usually is less challenge late game..

2. I think readers like very hard difficulty AAR more then another 'normal' wc campaign, right?

3. It will fighting colonizers ridiculously hard, as it should be (natives versus Europeans, I mean).

2. I think readers like very hard difficulty AAR more then another 'normal' wc campaign, right?
I personally don't care actually, although it makes it a bit more 'glamorous' so to speak. But what about hard mode, would it have been possible that way?

I personally don't care actually, although it makes it a bit more 'glamorous' so to speak. But what about hard mode, would it have been possible that way?

I honestly got no clue.

To be honest, I wanted something else then world conquest snowballing from start.

Who knows, maybe I'll still conquer the world with Haida on very hard.

That likely depends on protectorate STAYING protectorates.

But 1.18 made it so that protectorates go independent if they embrace enough instititutions compared to you (or is it tech level?).

Sounds mighty risky to use protectorate spamming strat now..

Grmble, now you got me theorycrafting again :)

Grmble, now you got me theorycrafting again :)
And so I fulfilled my job ;). But related to the protectorates I think there are at least some threads on the general forums explaining the current situation, whether it is by tech level or number of institutions.

It also sounds weird that they would break free, in the earlier versions with westernisation they would only break free if they were protectorated while in the process of westernising. So it would be logic that if they are protectorated in 1.18 that they would just stay as protectorates. But that aside is my opinion.

EDIT: this thread says it depends on the number of institutions (embraced) and this thread sounds important to me because it says if you want to release a nation and it is more than 50% behind you (due to not embracing instutions) it is released as a protectorate.

It's a bit hard to relate to the difficulty of VH mode without actually playing it, in my opinion. I'd compare it to the challenge of playing no-allies on normal.

Can you still offer to convert to pagan heresies after 100%ing? I have some animist adventure games in the workings.