Greeting from the future: Europa 5130

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MatRopert

HoI4 Tech Lead
Paradox Staff
4 Badges
May 11, 2018
mropert.github.io
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Battle for Bosporus
As you all know, the game is supposed to end on January 1821. Of course we allow you to continue if you wish but there's no more content and it is basically an unsupported use case.
I'm sure some of you may have tried to push a bit forward to see what would happen. But what if we let it run for waaaay to long?
Welcome to Europa 5130!
eu4_1.jpg

Every night we let the AI play a couple games and check back the results in the morning. That helps us catch crashes, out-of-sync, and of course weird behaviours of all sorts.
Since July is kind of an off month here in Sweden, we decided to let one of the machine continue playing after 1821. It's a been a full week now...

In 5130, a small set of superpowers have been fighting for domination for millennia now without a clear winner emerging.
The biggest player is Spain, followed by the US, Vijayanagar, [NAME HIDDEN UNTIL NEXT WEEK], Revolutionary Austria, Paraguay, Portugal, Ethiopia and of course Japan, still alive and well all alone on its archipelago.

eu4_2.jpg

The first thing we can see is that the AI is seemingly terrible at World Conquest. After all if they couldn't pull it off in 4 millennia, what are the odds they'd be able to do it in 400 years?
Of course another way to look at it would be that our game is sufficiently balanced that, given equivalent player skill (all AIs work the same), no nation manages to take over the entire world.

So what does the AI actually do with all that time and resources? Well obviously, it develops:
eu4_map_---_5130_01_01_1.png

The colors do not make it obvious due to the absurd difference in values so let's take another look at the ledger:
eu4_3.jpg

Having no technology or ideas to buy for millennia, the AI did spend a bit in development, Spain being the leader with 600 dev. Do not ask me why someone would develop Eirksfjord, a province with +50% dev cost, to 106. It probably makes sense in the future.

Of course that amount of resources allows our superpowers to field mighty armies:
eu4_5.jpg

Only Revolutionary Austria seems to still be able to make use of cavalry, the others having apparently forgotten how to ride horses (or bred them to extinction, this is the future after all).
But hey, who needs horses when you can hire hundreds of thousands of mercenaries, right? In the future, everyone is super rich but blows most of his GDP on soldiers of fortune.

Will any of the powers be able to make use of those massive armies to break the status-quo? So far history says no. Looking at the history of Spain for example, it seems like each monarch is able to grab a dozen provinces at best during his reign, to be lost by the next one.
There might be signs of a slow grinding of Revolutionary Austria by allies Spain and [NAME HIDDEN UNTIL NEXT WEEK] but it would take centuries (or worse) at this pace.
Then again no one's in a hurry, that game is still running as I type this article...

One last freebie before leaving: the Emperor of China still exists in the form of Korchin, a Reformed two province junior partner of Vijayanagar.
Taking ideas from the West, they decided to opt for a Parliament reform and are now titled... Parliament of Heaven! Those guys take the concept of "Celestial Bureaucracy" *very* seriously.
eu4_10.jpg

Oh and by the way, happy 4th of July!
eu4_12.jpg

Last edited:
Two more small details that didn't quite fit in the original summary:

First, the Mamluks survived by grabbing islands left and right:
eu4_14.jpg

Second, Korea converted to Christianity and is now the Papal controller, with no less that 7 Cardinals on their peninsula.
eu4_15.jpg

Japan still rejects the kirishitans himself but keeps Korea as a Tributary, shielding all those cardinals from Spain's grasp.
The American nation on the other hand still follow Catholicism without any cardinal to represent them.

The amount of games I've seen where the Mamluks take exploration is astounding. I've come across them in Australia and even Alaska before.

Who Formed the United States? Munsee gets its name changed to Wyoming Valley if you're a British colonizer. Scranton is in the Wyoming Valley area, so it seems to me that Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc has been doing right well for themselves.

I guess now you know why we say continuing after 1821 is not supported :D
After a more thorough check, there's a possibility.
Cardinals can only spawn in provinces that wouldn't be considered overseas for the Papal State. So theoretically if the Pope got exiled to Asia (due to Spain conquering Italy for example), they could have spawned cardinals there before getting killed by someone.

It's probably broken, but some of the restrictions are lifted if the Papal States no longer exist. Combination of the long game and that rule I guess.
That is also a possibility. All provinces are eligible if the Papal State is dead because Catholicism doesn't have a holy city anymore.

How did so many asian countries go christian? Since Vij has a PU does that mean they are christian too? Also can we have religious and cultural mapmodes?

After double checking to be sure, it now seems rather silly to hide the name if it is Rajputana as Trin already told us it was a new formable in the May 8th dev diary.

As you all know, the game is supposed to end on January 1821. Welcome to Europa 5130!

So, with the Swedes on holiday for a month, all of you non-Swedish staff get a chance to take over the company.:rolleyes:

How about a DLC or Vic3 now.:D

Do foreign persons get less holiday in Sweden? Since Jake is still here, and Bratyn aswell. Also Meneth last year.