• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gunsmith

Sergeant
9 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
I originally made this over at our old home but since were no longer there I thought id best bring it with me as a point of reference. actually I should try get all these working again since I'm now sitting on win10

This isn’t a complete guide however as there are so many configurations of PC’s it’s impossible to factor everything in but these were made to work on a fairly clean 7x64 install. I’m also going to assume you’ve a degree of computer literacy but if you don’t know your ISO from your EXE then shoutout and I’ll try point you in the right direction, also If anyone could aid in testing these methods on ATI hardware as well as on some other OS’ then I can update this for future reference.

Mechwarrior 2/GBL/MERCS

cNvHMJJ.jpg
7VMklqM.jpg
NRKj602.jpg

Versions Tested: Original Retail

What is it?

The original trilogy and a starting point for many Mech fans unfamiliar with the TT. There are far too many sodding versions of these games made. Between the original retail/3DFX/Rage/PowrVR/Titanium/ATI there are so many ways of getting these to work that it’s a bloody nightmare to try and list them all. If you remember them fondly I’d probably recommended leaving it at that.

Installation issues:

Too many to list. The original MW2 and GBL were DOS only and while Mercs added support for windows 95; it was one of the first games to run on windows and it was flaky at best, I think everyone just ran it from DOS and left it at that. I did manage to get MERCS to install and run but failure to initialise the 3D Engine upon starting a mission meant I didn’t get very far, could be a directx issue. It might be worth investigating MECHVM which essentially forces them to run in a dosbox but but you’ll need to rip your discs to ISO’s to try it.

Running issues:

Never got past installation, became too much of a headache in the end. The titanium editions of MW2 and GBL were built on the MERCS engine and I know people have managed to get that working through a voodoo ritual involving 2 chickens and an urban mech.

Mechwarrior 3

EWKrP7X.jpg

Versions tested: Original retail, 1.3 Repress (Mechpack)

Confirmed OS: 7x64

What is it?

Fantastic, no seriously; After a botched op your lance and a few MFB’s are left stranded behind enemy lines essentially winging the rest of the operation whilst desperately searching for a evac off planet. Amazing visuals, great sound and chest thumping OST. Autocannons never sounded so terrifying.

Installation issues:

None that I know of.

Running issues:

Exe needs to be run in XP compatibility mode.

Mission 2 will break horribly with “jumping jeeps” and a missing Missile launcher. This is a doozy to fix as the problem is essentially your machine running too fast, so we need to slow it down. Make a new profile in your GPU and force Vsync to run at adaptive half refresh. This will force the game to run at 30 fps. Mission 2 should then be completable. I’ve had a few random crashes since playing through the campaign but I’ve not come across any other tech issues since.

iH8lcSZ.jpg

i came across someone to really went to town on their gpu profile for MW3, i found i had much better results with it so you might want to configure you're nvidia profile the same way.

anisotropic filter off

antialiasing - FXAA off

antialiasing - gamma off

antialiasing - mode override

antialiasing - seting global

antialiasing - transp off

cudaall

max pre rnder fra 1

MFAAoff

multi display single

pwr managementmax perf

shader cacheoff

texture fil - aniso on

texture fil - neg LOD allow

texture fil - qual high perf

texture fil - trilin on

threaded opti - off

triple buff - on

v syncadaptive - half

You may also have crashing at the end of or during cinematics, this is due to an old codec the game tries to install. reinstall the game and under the custom install option untick the codec. modern players will come with said codec I believe.

Mechwarrior 3: Pirates moon

A5oB9th.jpg

Version tested: Original retail

What is it?

Add on for the original MW3, Pirates Moon added a few new mechs (Atlas, Awesome, Centurion, clint IIC to name a few), new 2 faction campaign, Night missions, better lance command system, more weapons and was bollocking hard to boot! I loved it!

Installation issues:

None that I know of

Running issues:

None that I Know of

Mechwarrior 4

B4RvksX.jpg

Versions tested: Original retail

What is it?

Mechwarrior 4. Personally I despised it. After MS snatched VWEG in 99 to nab the intellectual properties of FASA they then proceeded to take Mechwarrior in a horrifying new direction, gone was the deep futuristic mech simulator and replacing it was a god awful PEW PEW PEW action game. Good OST though.

Installation issues:

None that I know of.

Running issues:

The game won’t run on x64 due to an incompatible version of Securom copy protection sitting in the EXE, someone told me that forcing a 32bit argument on the exe worked but I think he was chatting ***. I found it much easier to grab a No-CD instead. Despite MS making the game and its source code free to download I don’t want to post links to a No-CD so you’ll have to exercise some google-fu. Shouldn’t take you more than a few mins to find one. When the game first runs its hardware auto detection may have issues finding your GPU be sure to make sure your video adaptor is shown in the videocard dropdown otherwise the game will start at a low resolution and won’t be changeable in game until you run the auto detection from the games directory again.

Mechcommander

E6RRKVc.jpg

Version tested: Original Retail

What is it?

“The first Mechwarrior game of tactical command” absolutely brilliant in everything and staggeringly difficult, so difficult in fact that a patch was released giving you a starting crutch in the form of a Mad Cat, which was hilarious because none of your pilots had the skills to use it properly. hell even the manual was awesome; at 384 pages it was written like an actual mech command software manual and was dripping in lore and statistics, So much fun oh and the best Intro ever for a mech game.

Installation issues:

Forget it, Mechcommander was built with a 16bit installer which will not work no matter how hard you hit it. The solution is to copy/paste everything from the CD and dump it into a local folder, MCX.exe will run the game but you’ll still need the disc in the drive to play.

Playing issues:

Mechcommander plays exclusively with directdraw (a 2D version of D3D for those wondering what it is) so you shouldn’t have any problems. You may have a discoloured menu to begin with as directdraw initialises but just click into a menu option that isn’t options and it should go away. You can change the resolution by modifying the Prefs.cfg in the install directory and adding the line l Resolution=3 to run the game at 1280x1024. I wouldn’t advise it though as the art assets for the pre mission logistic phase wont scale upwards forcing you to plan your mission on a postage stamp.

Mechcommander Gold

eiFbsh7.jpg

Versions tested: Original retail, Mechpack version (i don't recall a version number difference, will need to check)

What is it?

Mechcommander with the “desperate measures” expansion bolted on. The base game also added difficulty options in the options menu as well as the newly added and much needed “conserve ammo” order (hold A when issuing an attack order to use energy weapons only) oh and its completely free as well so go download it to tie you over until Battletech comes out!

Installation issues:

Exactly the same as Mechcommander

Playing issues:

Exactly the same issues as Mechcommander. If you downloaded the free ISO edition you’ll need to keep it mounted when launching the game.

Mechcommander 2

PVdsNTY.jpg

Versions tested: Original retail

Confirmed OS: 7x64, 10x64

What is it?

3D Mechcommander should have been awesome, instead it ended up being Mechcommander light. Simplistic logistic and command interface and an AI so thick it could have starred on a daytime talkshow made it far too easy and unengaging. a real shame actually. MS released it for free along with its source code and there have been some nice mods released for it since.

Installation issues:

None that I know of.

Running issues:

The game won’t run on x64 due to the same securom issue effecting Mechwarrior 4. Only way around it is to google-fu a no-cd to get around it and run the exe in compatability mode (XP SP2 does the job) if you're running the free Source Code release then you wont need a no-cd for the EXE, you’ll need the original cd/iso loaded for the game to play properly or it’ll complain about missing files when you try start a mission. Oh and you’ll also want to bin the “vidcard.csv” and “badcard.csv” files from the games install directory as the game has issues in configuring itself for modern GPU’s

I've got MW4: BK and MW4:M on the shelf behind me somewhere but I'll have to confess that after being so underwhelmed by MW4 I really didnt give much effort to them, certainly not enough to warrant the effort involved in getting them to work on a more recent os, i can imagine they'll suffer with the same securom issue's plaguing both MW4 and MC2 as it was Microsoft's anti piracy weapon of choice back some 15 years ago.

like I said these all worked for me so see how you get on with them, any problems or further advice, post away.

Greeting MechWarriors
Spooling up the KF drive to the appropriate location.

Generally speaking, if a game is DOS-only that's absolutely fabulous for the potential to run it on current systems... DOSBox works on both Windows and Linux. If you do still have a copy of MW2, give it a try by downloading at dosbox.com.

There are several threads in the old forums with instructions to get all kinds of versions MW2 running. Best bets are DOSBox (plus some trickery to load CD-Audio, also needs specific CPU-cycles) or a software called MechVM which is written to run MW2 (Mercenaries) on modern systems.

I personally prefer DOSBox because I know exactly what it does and I can customize every aspect of it.

Last edited:
The only way I was able to get Crescent Hawks Inception, Crescent Hawks Revenge, and MechWarrior I to run properly was to build up a "legacy PC" from old parts, and run DOS. Between the copy protection issues, driver incompatibilities, and function calls that aren't valid on Windows systems or newer hardware, I couldn't even get CHR to run under DOSBOX. Maybe someone else has had better luck (or skill) with it.

The only way I was able to get Crescent Hawks Inception, Crescent Hawks Revenge, and MechWarrior I to run properly was to build up a "legacy PC" from old parts, and run DOS. Between the copy protection issues, driver incompatibilities, and function calls that aren't valid on Windows systems or newer hardware, I couldn't even get CHR to run under DOSBOX. Maybe someone else has had better luck (or skill) with it.

Yes. You definitely need to find "unofficial" executables without CP to easily run them in Dosbox (which I don't think would be illegal, if you own the original, but laws are different everywhere and I don't want to encourage anyone to break it).

Another option is tinkering with experimental dosbox builds like Daum's that offer very fine control over the DOS environment.

Those IBM-PC era games can be tricky to get running. Esp. if you want to emulate everything like old pre-general-midi music cards instead of just a PC Speaker.
Another thing is CPU-cycles. More often than not the games back then were balanced only for the clock speeds of PC-XTs (the infamous 4.77 Mhz) or PC-ATs like Mechwarrior 1, so you need to find the exact CPU-Cycle number for your system to slow your modern CPU accordingly inside DOSBox. The easiest way to achieve that is running an old DOS benchmark like MIPS 1.10 and going by rule of three.

It's not impossible. Mechwarrior is running flawlessly in my DOSBox. It hasn't aged well though, as control options that are like common sense to us today we're not standardised (although that can be mitigated with the DOSBox remapper function) and people were happy with way less frames than today (15 FPS ought to be enough for everybody)
Yes, the game gets really hard at 30 FPS. Too fast to operate a mech in combat.
And I didn't even talked about the rather outdated storytelling (trial and error in the entire inner sphere with very few clues where to look. Did I mention permadeath dialogue options?)

It's not impossible. Mechwarrior is running flawlessly in my DOSBox. It hasn't aged well though, as control options that are like common sense to us today we're not standardised (although that can be mitigated with the DOSBox remapper function) and people were happy with way less frames than today (15 FPS ought to be enough for everybody)
Yes, the game gets really hard at 30 FPS. Too fast to operate a mech in combat.
And I didn't even talked about the rather outdated storytelling (trial and error in the entire inner sphere with very few clues where to look. Did I mention permadeath dialogue options?)
One rather abruptly learns in MW I that it's a bad idea to ignore a gyro-jet rifle pointed in your direction. I was never fond of the "click the right answer or die" dialog options, or the ones which basically end the quest with a failure, with few or no clues to go by. You generally have to reload several saves at each junction point, and keep trying until you hit the right choice.

CHI had the map room floor puzzle, as well as getting all of the keys for the gates in the right sequence, which were at least a mixture of "trial and error" and making just enough guesses to figure out how the puzzle worked. I was surprised at how much stuff was actually coded into Inception, but never implemented. Apparently, the developers ran out of time or money, and had to release it "as is", rather than finish it. Most of the standard weapons were included, even if you couldn't buy ammo for the LRMs or auto-cannons, but nothing in the game actually used them (other than the Urbanmechs guarding the arena - I always wanted to salvage one of those just to see if it could be done). I was able to hack into the saved game files with a sector editor and basically put in all of the stats for a P-Hawk, Marauder, and Warhammer in place of the Locust, Wasp, and Stinger, but they had to share the same couple of images with the other 'Mechs.

CHR used pulse width modulation to implement a rather brute-forced and garbled attempt at speech, and I don't see that working well with an emulator, but I won't say it's impossible. It also had some rather extreme memory requirements which forced a lot of players to edit their memory usage in "autoexec.bat", or remove other things from the system (like important hardware) to free up the few extra bytes. Basically, it needed everything a pre-Windows PC could deliver at the time.

I've been running all three on DOSBOX for years... no real issue.

Fun fact: If you have a Nintendo DS capable of running homebrew applications, you can use DSx86 ( http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/ ) to run CHI, CHR and MW1 on it.

the Urbanmechs guarding the arena - I always wanted to salvage one of those just to see if it could be done
You can steal an Urbanmech from the arena, by blasting through the stands and running away. Mind you that this locks you out of the spaceport for the remainder of the game!
CHR used pulse width modulation to implement a rather brute-forced and garbled attempt at speech, and I don't see that working well with an emulator, but I won't say it's impossible..
It works fine.

There was an unofficially patched executable for Mechwarrior 3 that addressed that bug, if my memory serves.

Trying to get Mechwarrior 4 mercs to run, but no matter what I've tried (and I watched the videos about it) I can't get the Autoconfig_Mercs to do anything. Running as administrator in compatibility mode for XP SP3. It starts, asks for permission, I say yes, then nothing.

Lostech is such a pain.

I managed to get both MW2 and MW2 Mercs running fine. The best help for this is on this forum: http://www.mech2.org/forum/index.php

MW3, still have problems with that on Windows 7. I had it running fine once though until I did a wipe, re-install of Windows - don't remember exactly what fix I was using. EDIT: i remember now, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/comments/5jefsa/how_to_run_mechwarrior_3_and_pirates_moon_in/ - there also used to be a mech warrior 3 resource forum, but I can't find it anymore

MW4 Vengeance, can't get that to work, runs like hot garbage for some reason.

MW4 Mercs works fine, I made a prepackaged install for it that can be shared which includes all MekTek stuff + HD Textures + CO OP Missions + Hundreds of custom and close to canon variants

Frankly I am shocked Microsoft is not working with GoG to make these games playable on modern systems for sale. A crime against game history by leaving them shelved. Perhaps they are who knows. The singleplayer and multiplayer in all of them are still fun to this day.

Last edited:
I recently bought a steam package of the old Xwing/Tie Fighter games. I would absolutely spend $5-10 for a similar Mechwarrior Series. Even if they are available freeware elsewhere, it's worth it to me to have had someone else already do the grunt work and be able to just have it work.

It might be a lisencing issue, some of those companies no longer exist and Mechwarrior 2 uses several of the Unseen and that lawsuit hasnt entirely been laid to rest. Might be somebody decided it wasn't worth the legal fees.

The reddit link is similar too, but not quite the same, as the one I was using which is hosted by a bunch called Clan Coyote. I'll give their guide a try.

Well I wasted a solid hour or two trying everything I could find on reddit, no progress. :(

What are you running on?
I had the MekTek MW4 Mercs running on Windows 10 with no problems. Ran the install, set to run as admin with compatibility to WinXP and didn't need to do anything else.

What are you running on?
I had the MekTek MW4 Mercs running on Windows 10 with no problems. Ran the install, set to run as admin with compatibility to WinXP and didn't need to do anything else.

Also windows 10. Nothing I do will get the config to run though. Running as admin, compatibility modes, both, adding stuff to the shortcut...