• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Path

First Sword of Sweden
63 Badges
Jun 14, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • King Arthur II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
Caveat lector: I’ve never written an AAR before, so expect it to be something of a bumpy ride. If you’re willing to put up with that, you’re welcome aboard the Gothic conquest train.

The plan is to provide some idea of how I play the expansion game. As a great believer in the strength of vassal integration and minimal same-continent coring, I’ll try to lead Theodoro to greatness using the former. This means that my general strategy, idea group choices etc. will all be geared towards facilitating rapid growth once I’ve established my power base. There are some slight differences in how I approach things depending on starting position (e.g., Theodoro being Eastern means free westernization, so I don’t need to factor that in) but the basic strategy remains the same. If you are sensitive to cheese, well, you have been warned.

This means that I’ll open with religious, influence and administrative, and to better illustrate how viable this is I’ll be even stricter on the same-continent coring than I usually am. While I’m functionally a power player, I still adhere to some artificial limitations, a.k.a. house rules. I rarely tag switch (although to be fair this is irrelevant in this case as the achievement requires you to remain Theodoro), and I will neither join the empire nor get myself elected HRE.

For this run I will not be teching dip at all until much later (at the very least I’ll have diplomatic ideas fully filled out by then, meaning tech 14-15+). I sometimes tech up to 7 for the convenience of the extended coring range, but demonstrations are demonstrations so I won’t be doing that here. Why? Because dip tech is basically just one big mana sink, and it’s entirely possible to play the expansion game without touching it. I’m also going to stay Orthodox. There are advantages to this, although going Sunni early on is probably the better choice—it’s certainly the easier one.

What is so good about vassal integrations, then? Early game vassals help bolster your numbers, but for me it mainly comes down to one thing: mana cost. If you’re good enough at the game you’ll inevitably find yourself limited by mana at some point, and relying on vassal integrations to expand is an—in my opinion—efficient, if not perfect, way to help mitigate this problem.

The base cost for coring same-continent clay is 10 paper mana, while the cost for integrating is 8 bird mana. It’s easy to cut down the integration cost to 4.4 mana by filling out influence and administrative and activating the policy as required (this also means that integrating larger vassals side by side saves you mana, as you’ll require fewer policy activations). Coring, on the other hand, can be reduced to 6.5 mana by getting administrative ideas and making sure you have claims on the provinces you take.

There are ways to improve this further, but most of them require you pick easy mode tags, e.g., the Ottomans, rely on formables to get better claims or abuse cheap gimmicks, e.g., the empire. Admin efficiency will improve this, but admin efficiency affects integrations too, and at any rate you don’t want to sit around waiting for admin tech 17 until you start expanding. Of course, there’s always the option to beeline for off-continent clay, but there are a lot of geographical considerations here—there are many reasons the Ottomans are as strong as they are.

As far as I’m concerned, a more elegant solution is one that doesn’t require you to pick strong tags or rely on specific gimmicks (becoming HRE isn’t exactly a realistic option in many cases), but each to his own. Further complicating the matter is the requirement to tech admin; you don’t really have much of a choice here, as access to more idea groups require you to do so. On the other hand, there are few compelling reasons to tech dip at all—in fact, you could probably one-tag comfortably enough by sitting on dip tech 3 for the entire game, although it’d require a few no-CB wars. Whether it’s actually worth teching up for imperialism and client states is debatable, but I tend to do so. Even if you do, you’ll end up saving thousands of mana by being so far behind once you start teching up—mana that can easily be channelled into acquiring more land.

Talk is cheap, though; throwing out some numbers doesn’t prove much, so I’ll get back to this once I’ve built up Theodoro a bit (assuming I don’t get ignominiously destroyed on the way). I last played here before the Cossacks, so I’d expect a few differences, but I’m confident that the general ideas from my Trebizond campaign will work for Theodoro, too. As such, I’ll aim to become a kingdom within 50 years, an empire within 100, and to restore the Pentarchy (because sticking it to the Catholic heretics is always fun) along the way. We’ll see how that works out (cue 10 years of regency hell).

Reactions:
Chapter I -- Fortune Favours the Bold

ijEgfWQ.jpg

Theodoro’s starting position is a perilous one, weaker as they are than their northern belligerent neighbour. That very belligerency works to your advantage, though, as you can reliably count on them to declare on you within a year or so. This is preferably to declaring yourself, as you’d have to face their allies as well. Crimea on their own are strong, but with some allies of your own not particularly dangerous.

They start with a solid ruler, although I set admin focus right away to help alleviate his relatively poor admin stat. He is old, though, and his heir far too young—best hope the king stays alive long enough for the son to come of age.

qYDr5If.jpg

Before The Cossacks I’d have considered this to be ideal for an Orthodox game in this region, but now I’m not so sure. You will easily be able to call Poland in when the time comes to fight the Ottomans, but it’s likely that Moldavia will fabricate claims all over their northern coast. As Theodoro’ll never come close to matching the contribution of Poland/Lithuania, you could end up having to give Poland practically everything to keep them happy. We’ll have to see how that pans out.

6xU4SBz.jpg

First things first. The nobles provide a good general—3 shock isn’t amazing, but it’ll do the job nicely. I elected not to expand my army in the hope that Crimea would attack sooner, but in retrospect I should’ve built up to my FL, as hordes hit hard on flat terrain. I secured alliances with Circassia and Trebizond (no RMs, though--they’re prime targets for expansion once we’ve dealt with Crimea).

4CWqM6f.jpg

Ii1ZkQI.jpg

I secured MA from Circassia and shipped my troops over, and sold my fleet. It’ll have to be rebuilt later, but early on you need funds, and the ships are an expensive asset with little real value at this point. Then it was time to wait for Crimea to attack, once I’d started fabricating a claim on them, improving relations with Muscovy and lowered maintenance.

6MuDTL5.jpg

sT79yff.jpg

Crimea oblige by declaring on me, and after combining my forces with those of Trebizond and Circassia I march on them. With a fort in Crimea there’s no way to chase down their stack, so instead I simply lay siege to their capital.

CW2WY2J.jpg

Only a matter of time before Georgia is vassalized. Hopefully Trebizond and Circassia’ll survive long enough to become parts of Theodoro.

f0xQJps.jpg

Once Crimea is taken, the war’s over. Since I’m skirting the lines of a Sunni coalition here, I leave Crimea with two provinces. Only two will actually be cored, however—the rest will be handed over to my soon-to-be Sunni vassal.

LrufUJy.jpg

With Muscovy on our side, the Golden Horde shouldn’t pose any problems. I’m going to have to give Muscovy most of the land in this war, but I only need a province or two so I can release Astrakhan. I won’t need Muscovy for wars after this, but if I cheat them my plan to use Poland against the Ottomans won’t work.

DHsPIfY.jpg

This doesn’t look too scary.

5aPL5fu.jpg

I like to beeline for full PA, but stability is nice at this point.

GKDjTTo.jpg

This could be problematic.

un6cN4o.jpg

Fortunately my good allies are more than willing to clear my rebels for me. It’s always worth looking for opportunities to have the AI take care of your rebels early on, because OPM starts are extremely vulnerable to them.

YSVZxqb.jpg

I settle for the two provinces I have a claim on and war reparations. Muscovy receive a number of provinces to keep them happy (and to ensure I can call in Poland within a few years).

QWGzZXx.jpg

Astrakhan is released and fed the Crimean provinces I didn’t core. Since they’re Sunni and part of the same culture group they won’t have any problems with those. As there’s some time left before the truce timers with Circassia and Trebizond expire, I decide to sit tight and let WE drop down.

v0mVCQ3.jpg

Alliance shenanigans allow you to ally even powerful rivals. In this case, I secured an RM with Poland and then broke my alliance with Muscovy. Because I still had great relations with them and they don’t exactly have a lot of potential allies, they sent me an offer to renew it in short order. Of course, Poland sent me an offer as soon as I was no longer allied to their rival, so by accepting them I ended up with both as allies. Not a long-term solution, but it provides some security.

bOjHWzO.jpg

Kastor Atan gets the job done.

WOT0Oid.jpg

Circassia is annexed and immediately released. Circassia is dead. Long live Circassia.

14vHHSk.jpg

Time for the first real test. We have a clear advantage in numbers, but nothing is ever easy. The plan is to engage and severly damage (ideally destroying, but that is unlikely) the Ottoman army, and then lay siege to Constantinople.

BsDsrqB.jpg

Once this war is over, either Shirvan or Gazikumukh are next. To that end I'm securing a CB against Shirvan.

Hb7u3lj.jpg

The Battle of Basarabia is a boodbath. Despite overwhelming numerical superiority, my alliance takes a worse beating than the Ottomans, though we win the battle. That general...

a3GZtdx.jpg

History repeats itself as the Ottomans attack across the Sea of Marmara.

n54Fu3X.jpg

Stability never hurts.

qr4v7Ek.jpg

That general is a monster, but with the Ottoman forces depleted we keep fending him off.

n52pcLS.jpg

vwplKSI.jpg

We're winning the war, but my allies aren't doing so well. The Ottomans are similarly running low on manpower, but they are comparably wealthy. Rather than drag this conflict out much longer, I decide to put an end to it so that I can pursue other goals.

Vbue3nX.jpg

My share of the spoils are four provinces and war reparations. This'll set Theodoro up nicely, and with different separatists in every province, revolts aren't particularly likely anytime soon. Now I have a presence in the Adriatic, and can prepare for war with Bosnia and Serbia--that gold mine is a priority acquisition.

eXKCeKH.jpg

To that end, I rival Serbia. I like keeping a rival slot open early on given the choice, as expansion'll frequently give you new options that you didn't previously have, and locking yourself into certain rivals can be problematic from a diplomatic PoV.

DwERcSl.jpg

War reparations are crucial for early game expansion, as there's no way to build a sustainable economy.

MARRERx.jpg

Comedy gold. Poland decide that they don't want Tarnovo as they can't core it. Nevermind that they're currently coring Silistria and would be able to in about two years... This suits my plans just fine, though.

Last edited:
v6Yyi2z.jpg

Kastor Atan destroys the army of Shirvan and lays siege to the city.

6RVWCKw.jpg

Moldavia is about to disappear. Much sadness.

q0jzX9R.jpg

Curses. Fortunately it'll be a short regency--my heir is 14.

LPrqx1o.jpg

g8JC6WK.jpg

2xt0jFg.jpg

Shirvan is fully annexed and ceded to Circassia. That takes care of the immediate problems with LD.

g86VjZE.jpg

Success in this part of the world requires a fleet, and I finally have the funds to start rebuilding mine. Ideally I want enough galleys to take on the Ottomans next time we go to war, but for now I need transports, as I have no way of getting my troops to the Balkans.

qsl4aao.jpg

Excellent.

MIitkM8.jpg

Now that the prince has come of age, it's time to go to war with Bosnia and Serbia. Serbia, as my rival, will be the main target, while Bosnia will be a regular ally; they're also allied to Bohemia, and I'm in no hurry to take on the most powerful electorate.

Last edited:
Not bad, not bad at all.

That early war against Ottomans and taking provinces with different separatists (very wise indeed). And now you will beat Serbia for that Kosovo gold mine, and all of that in just 15 years as Theodoro. Brutal. :cool:

It seems that Theodoro is most popular tourist destination among various traveling ministers.

Last edited:
Heh. I am going to check what troop count the Ottomans start with. Touggourt, Tunis and Ottomans only field that few troops total?

Nice early on expansion!

Glad you started the AAR :)

Seeing the Ottoderps crushed this early in the game always warms my heart, subbed.

Who doesn't like seeing the Ottomans bite the dust ;

Not bad, not bad at all.

That early war against Ottomans and taking provinces with different separatists (very wise indeed). And now you will beat Serbia for that Kosovo gold mine, and all of that in just 15 years as Theodoro. Brutal. :cool:

It seems that Theodoro is most popular tourist destination among various traveling ministers.

The gold mine'll certainly help with Theodoro's finances, and I've always been a great patron of the arts. Or something.

This seems promising, so subbed!

Subbed ! :)
Good chapter ;)

Welcome aboard the Gothic train.

Heh. I am going to check what troop count the Ottomans start with. Touggourt, Tunis and Ottomans only field that few troops total?

Nice early on expansion!

Glad you started the AAR :)

The Ottomans and Tunis have FLs around 30 and 15 respectively at the start of the game IIRC. The Ottomans have blobbed a bit (Albania, Candar and Byzantium), but they need to expand more before their numbers get scary. By comparison, Poland and Lithuania have a combined FL of 60, which goes a long way to explain how scary that union is early on. Just need the Conqueror to die now and we're good. Well, him and that monster of a general.

I should probably tidy this up a bit, but it's tempting to just go play instead. I'll put the next part up tonight, though.

Solid first chapter. Interested to see how much our play styles match up. Based off of descriptions it seems quite a bit minus house rules.

In case you're interested, I'll be starting an AAR here shortly as well.

Reactions:
Chapter II -- A Kingdom Reborn

ecKPn1L.jpg

Venice decide that they want in on the action. Fortunately, they target Bosnia, meaning Bohemia will get involved--it's a race for Ragusa, annexed by Bosnia during my war with the Ottomans.

jxYY7Dd.jpg

Atan takes care of the Serbian army en route to Bosnia.

xkKiPBq.jpg

In the east, Qara Qoyunlu are losing to both Timurids and separatists. Truly the black sheep of the Sunni family.

OZd0pZn.jpg

LQ9VrA7.jpg

adKiDPB.jpg

I beat the Venetians to the prize. Bosnia are wealthy, so I take Ragusa in a separate peace and Zeta and Kosovo from Serbia. Abstaining from taking that Orthodox land hurts a bit, but since I've decided to keep coring to a minimum I should make an effort to do so. At least this means we won't be troubled by separatists anytime soon, as every province has a different set of separatists. Kosovo's gold mine'll come in handy at least.

VxK37Oa.jpg

Annexation of Astrakhan begins. As I intend to feed them a bit more, I expect the integration to take around 20-25 years, depending on whether I can secure extra dip rep. Once complete, Theodoro'll be a kingdom.

uLDKJ2H.jpg

Qara Qoyunlu really aren't doing well. The plan is to take Trebizond and Erzincan for myself and feed Circassia as many of Georgia's cores as I can. That'll allow me to at least temporarily balk Ottoman ambitions in the east, and with Qara Qoyunlu in the process of imploding they could easy blob all the way to the Persian Gulf if left unchecked.

sLFX48H.jpg

Iraq'll go independent soon. At this rate I expect Armenia and other Qara Qoyunlu-held minors to do the same.

EpnGIk4.jpg

An heir is born, and he's a good one. How long till he develops an unhealthy interest in hunting, I wonder.

OYuI7vp.jpg

More good news: the Conqueror is dead, and the Ottomans are stuck in an 8-year regency. How sad. Unfortunately, they've picked up a potentially troublesome ally.

tn3T7oz.jpg

Let me think hard on this one.

aLDug7u.jpg

Qara Qoyunlu are beaten. Iraq have gone independent, and Armenian separatists have risen, so things are turning out as expected. Karaman and Tabarestan have yet to make a move, though.

M1bQjm0.jpg

Circassia love us to bits.

hSVmJ4D.jpg

No rest for the wicked. Golden Horde are next.

goERYLF.jpg

Uzbek are in debt. Dai shokku. Muscovy want in, but we neither want nor need them for this. The Astrakhani cores are the main objective here.

uA4UcVp.jpg

Atan destroys the enemy armies.

HYqGbZf.jpg

The event that excuses Byzantium's existence. At least they're good for something.

GWmu7N2.jpg

This'll do nicely.

1ZIQ3NZ.jpg

pUcdZVG.jpg

Time to finish off Crimea and get some provinces from Nogai. The AI is good at checking whether allies would honour a defensive CtA, but we can do that too. The Timurids are still fighting rebels, so their situation isn't going to improve anytime soon. It's a safe bet that they won't help Nogai, so I tag them as co-belligerents and call in Muscovy to speed things up--I'm going to lose those favours regardless soon, so I might as well use them.

pbicpi1.jpg

Deus Vult unlocked. The world shall tremble before our crusaders.

rPf6Le5.jpg

Astrakhan have reached a respectable size now. Time to fish for some extra dip rep; a finish around '82 seems likely now.

Mtr7cYo.jpg

6aMeWV8.jpg

The ungrateful population of Canik rise up, but are no match for Theodoro's finest.

MDFIP1A.jpg

My rivals Karaman become the first target of the crusade. I claim Adana for strategic purposes, but won't core it--I just need the border with the Mamluks.

Cum0zNE.jpg

lH8J093.jpg

The moment of truth: will the Theodorian navy prove a match for the Ottoman? I intend to direct the Polish and Lithuanian armies towards Muscovy, so with any luck they'll force them out of the war. Hungary and I'll have to deal with the Ottoman armies meanwhile.

DYcDWCD.jpg

The Ottomans opt to lay siege to Hungarian forts, which suits me just fine.

H83ZQIj.jpg

Bswuicu.jpg

VzGlBfd.jpg

They almost catch me napping, but appear to have misplaced their monstrous general.

SE6NuRA.jpg

The Ottomans fail to lift the siege of Constantinople.

dNb1nAN.jpg

Babawhirl!

3XybR4V.jpg

Poland make us proud by forcing Muscovy to concede defeat. 128 ducats and war reparations aren't half bad considering I didn't lift a finger to help in the north.

Last edited:
wbreOle.jpg

The war is won, but I need to take Vidin so I can grant it to Hungary in the peace settlement. That leaves enough time to send a force over to Tunis to take their capital and take their money too.

Voa2zMd.jpg

Theodoro claim a large number of Ottoman provinces, but I have no intention of coring any of them.

hh5mBJ6.jpg

While expensive at this point, DotF is too useful a tool to pass up. That passive WE reduction is going to come in handy.

vtK0KmA.jpg

AT is up to 50 now. It's unlikely to rise much more before I have access to artillery, though.

lsBj4er.jpg

7WyHVM2.jpg

Serbian separatists rise up in Kosovo but are quickly crushed. That takes care of the rebel threat for now. Venice are in the process of losing a war against Austria and Hungary, so I expect a number of OPMs to be released soon.

StGtbqm.jpg

The gold mine helps, but war reparations keep Theodoro afloat.

jaKCMzk.jpg

Time to put Adana to use. The Mamluks are strong, very strong, but the AI is ever vulnerable to cheap tricks. With transports available, reinforcing from the sea mere days before their troops hit home allows Atan to carry the day. As long as I can take a fort, cheap WS from winning battles will suffice to force the Mamluks to give up Gaza (and perhaps Jerusalem, though I suspect that'll prove too much with my current forces).

xK0yg7h.jpg

Intimidating numbers, but a large part of those troops can't even get to me, and in a worst case scenario I can simply relocate by sea and rely on the ticking WS to win me the war. Naval superiority is proving worth the cost of rebuilding the fleet.

Ub7s67Z.jpg

eje5kA5.jpg

Gaza will serve as our foothold in the Middle East. With Adana rendered superfluous, I return it to Ramazan.

rLC9ir7.jpg

1JoYbPt.jpg

More money for Theodoro. Bulgaria is annexed and then released. Their LD is rather high, but unlikely to cause any problems. It's worth keeping in mind that the AI has to follow the same rules the player follows when it comes to seeking/supporting independence. Bulgaria are disloyal, so they'd be willing to accept help to become independent, but there are no tags around to support them. They hate the Ottomans, and any other reasonably nearby tags with large enough armies are either indifferent or friendly towards me and so will not support Bulgaria against me. If Astrakhan or Circassia were to turn disloyal too, however, things could quickly turn sour, so it's not exactly without risks to ride LD like this. Still, it's a temporary state.

mb39AXw.jpg

As expected, the Venetian loss has lead to several independent tags. A few quick wars later and they're all part of Bulgaria.

yeSplA7.jpg

I invest some of the proceeds into infrastructure as the immediate needs of the army and navy have been met.

h4heLSv.jpg

The Knights are next. I debated whether to take Negroponte, but decided to let Venice keep it in the end. Hopefully Malta will be granted to the Knights, in which case they'll llikely ally Venice again. That'd make it easy to grab the island. If not, well, Negroponte's not going anywhere.

uiYCRXk.jpg

With an AT apparoaching 60 and Theodoro being up-to-date with mil tech, I spend a few hundred sword mana on rolling generals. Let's just say I hit the jackpot with this one.

yUXJGSg.jpg

Kosovo has been developed a fair bit by now. I used it to regulate my bird mana before unlocking influence ideas, which finally provided an outlet for it.

jkVTDue.jpg

This is one strange game. Note the phase, who my general is and the shock modifier. That's right, Venice also have a 6 shock general. They're bleeding everywhere.

bbQLzxB.jpg

Astrakhan are integrated and Theodoro become a kingdom. My estimate wasn't so far off.

9eOxiI7.jpg

Who would've guessed? When your son dies you need a fine woman, though, not God, especially if the former provides you with a 5/5/1 heir. A weak claim makes a civil war very likely, but I'm not going to pass up on those stats.

1BeUMKJ.jpg

nHoMppA.jpg

tiVfa2V.jpg

Theodoro march on Muscovy directly. While more money is always welcome, the main purpose of this campaign is to check Polish ambitions. By locking them--and keeping them--in my truce cycle I can keep them from eating Muscovy. As I lack enough favours I call them in for land, and grant them a single province to keep them happy. This'll give me the time I need to get enough favours for a war where I can take it all, although I suspect there'll be another war with Musocvy in between, assuming that they renew their alliance with the Ottomans.

0eI6uqg.jpg

mkLjUVq.jpg

Theodoro prove too strong for the Mamluks. Artillery might not particularly useful in battle at this point, but it speeds up sieges enough to make it worthwhile as far as I'm concerned. 90+ AT is fairly easy to maintain once you unlock it, and while it becomes significantly harder post mil tech 14, it's during this phase of the game you really need it.

8AIPCTk.jpg

A short war to prepare for the conquest of Mecca. Just need to fabricate a claim, but sometimes things don't go as planned.

QpM4IC6.jpg

D4qLzjK.jpg

Qara Qoyunlu hand over Kahketi to Circassia, and that's the last of the poisonous ICC provinces. We're done with Circassia now.

wM9bVXL.jpg

As I'd hoped, conquering Jerusalem and Aleppo allowed me to take the mission to restore the Pentarchy. While it's too early yet to actually complete it, it provides a claim on Rome, and thus a CB against the Papal State. Once I have that I return Aleppo to Syria, as I don't wish to core it at present.

2ikxfCg.jpg

Another easy war. The Papal State and Milan have been wrecked in inter-Italian wars and can offer little resistance. Rome is mine, but converting it will have to wait.

imVvUuv.jpg

This promises to be a tougher conflict. I'm after the Baleares for myself and the Genoese holdings in the Black Sea and Scio for Bulgaria. With Hungary on my side we should have the numbers to win this readily enough, but I'll be badly outnumbered at sea.

Will the Kingdom of Theodoro prevail against the naval powers of the Mediterranean? That remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Great updates. One suggestion - put the text for the pictures before rather than after the images.

Reactions: