Full-body Species Portrait Models

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LtSurge

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Oct 16, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
Do any full-body models exist for the Species in this game, or is everything only waist-up?

I can't imagine the artists of this game hadn't thought of making complete models of their characters... the Humans maybe I can understand (because we all know what a human looks like), but I am curious about the artists' vision of these other creatures.

Getting into the Lore/RP side of things, it would be helpful to understand what a species looks like in its entirety.

The Starfish-people, for instance, I am curious as to how they are able to move. Assuming advanced genetic engineering wasn't involved before they became a spacefaring race, what do they use to achieve locomotion?

Or the winged bird-people or insectoids? Can they fly? I know the Butterflies can fly... perhaps the Butterflies would count as full-body portrait, now that I think of it.

What about the hovering brain-looking molluscoid creatures?

Okay, so I can think of two full-body models... are there others hidden in the Game Files? Or could they exist in the form of Concept Art?

Well, okay... what about Concept Art, then? Are you telling me nobody was interested in drawing up full-body?

I bet some of us would pay to get some kind of art book containing that and other things.

Do any full-body models exist for the Species in this game, or is everything only waist-up?

I can't imagine the artists of this game hadn't thought of making complete models of their characters... the Humans maybe I can understand (because we all know what a human looks like), but I am curious about the artists' vision of these other creatures.

Getting into the Lore/RP side of things, it would be helpful to understand what a species looks like in its entirety.

The Starfish-people, for instance, I am curious as to how they are able to move. Assuming advanced genetic engineering wasn't involved before they became a spacefaring race, what do they use to achieve locomotion?

Or the winged bird-people or insectoids? Can they fly? I know the Butterflies can fly... perhaps the Butterflies would count as full-body portrait, now that I think of it.

What about the hovering brain-looking molluscoid creatures?

Okay, so I can think of two full-body models... are there others hidden in the Game Files? Or could they exist in the form of Concept Art?

It's just like BlackUmbrella says.

They're not "hidden". The UI doesn't require full-body portraits- so the artists didn't make them.

I believe the few times we've seen more full scale characters are in some of the event pictures, but they are usually left vague enough to hint at any kind of species on purpose. Here's the example of the Alien Propaganda event picture from the base game. Some are identifiable, but not all of them.

alien_propaganda.png

Thinking how the aliens would look full body is something that I think everyone's been thinking about at one point or another, but ambiguity leaves that up to peoples imagination. It free's up people who want to make their own interpretations just as some can view a race as the cuddliest Xenophile, while another imagines the most cannibalistic of Xeno purgers.

It also gives a bit of leeway when any fans or internet creators wish to make fan-art. Plugging a few personal favorites of different kinds:
- Threepanelsoul - Stellaris Ethos
- Ethan Lewis - Humanoid Fanart
- Chapel Comic - First Contact

bet some of us would pay to get some kind of art book containing that and other things.

I believe you can get the Artbook already actually. See we actually did make an Artbook for the release of the main game, a very limited print was done for some events during the release and for the team, most actually got access to it as well when they pre-purchased Stellaris: Galaxy Edition in a digital format. Since release though this version has been released as an upgrade pack as well, for those who didnt pre-purchase yet still want to get their hands on the goodies.

TL.DR - Those that own the Galaxy edition will find the Digital Collector's Book inside their steam library under the following path: SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Stellaris\ebook

Full of pictures and in-developement steps for how the ships and creatures evolved from sketches and on (sadly just torso/chest and up though). Hope this has answered one question at least!

They're not "hidden". The UI doesn't require full-body portraits- so the artists didn't make them.
I prefer to think of them as simply not wearing pants. When your job involves talking with other leaders via a viewscreen that only focuses on your upper body, why even bother, right? It's like Youtubers, they could be totally naked and we'd never know.

Hell, with 23rd-century image processing technology, the clothes you're wearing on the galactic videophone might not even physically exist, just being edited in by the comms software in real time :)

Hell, with 23rd-century image processing technology, the clothes you're wearing on the galactic videophone might not even physically exist, just being edited in by the comms software in real time :)

That moment you realize that LITERALLY EVERYOME is also a space nudist and you've all been editing clothes over yourselves to keep up appearences.

That moment you realize that LITERALLY EVERYOME is also a space nudist and you've all been editing clothes over yourselves to keep up appearences.
Does that mean aliens with the repugnant trait are open about that fact and don't care? :p

Does that mean aliens with the repugnant trait are open about that fact and don't care? :p

Well we would need nude models of said species... unless they're already nude, like the Starfish!

They probably wouldn't bother editing clothes on themselves in transmissions if they didn't care, either

New "Naked time" end game crisis confirmed.