• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Craig Ashley

Prodigal Son
3 Badges
Jul 1, 2002
Visit site
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
From the Pope's Basement (An Ottoman AAR)

Modern Day

Father Tarantella hated research. Long, boring, tedious, a complete waste of time in his mind. He was looking for some early Renaissance document on the miracles of St. George for an article he was writing that no one would read. He was writing an article that no one would read because that's what Vatican priests did when they weren't attending to His Holiness. It was during this agonizing search that he found a strange little book, a diary of sorts.

"What's this?" He flipped through it quickly, intending to quickly discard it, since it wasn't what he was looking for.

"Strange." He muttered to himself. The entries seemed to cover not one, but several life spans. Now with curiosity getting the better of him, he turned back to the first page. It was marked December 26, 1418.

The diary dropped to the floor. Father Tarantella was shaking, ghost white. He said only two words.

"El Diablo!"

Last edited:
*Author's note* First off let me say that the character you will all soon meet does not in anyway represent my beliefs or practices. I do wish to take a little time to explain what lead me to choose this voice for my tale. I've been pondering how to do a first person narrative for a little while. The problem is that a life time can only last 70 or so years, but my visions for the story are usually a bit longer. Hard to narrate when you're dead. So clearly the narrator would have to be a supernatural being. Then I read (plug) A Madman's History of Novgorod by Riboflavin, it inspired me not only with the supernatural narrator, but the religious overtones on redemption. Sooooo I started thinking (always a dangerous thing) and I realized that my style of play lately has been rather bloodthirsty and redemption would not be in the picture for my characters. The result is what you all are about to experience. Again the author of the diary in no way is a represenative of myself. Thanks and enjoy.

Last edited:
Okay. You've piqued my curiousity. Presumably we're talking about the partial diary of the devil himself. Quite the challenge. :)

December 26, 1418 - Ah, back in the realm of the living. It's been too long. I haven't really had business here since the first century. Those were the days. I was worshiped as a god in Gaul. Lasted a while, too. Till the damn Romans converted everyone. That's enough down memory lane, back to the business at hand. Lord Lucifer has a job for me, and I for one can't wait to get to work. Seems the children of the cross have managed to spread their disease, called Christianity, across the continent, and Lord Lucifer fears soon across the globe. My task is simple, destroy the strongholds of the faithful, and convert them to some sort of pagan religion. I don't care if they worship Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, Confucius, or the devil himself, just not the One. I'll soon be picking my instrument of destruction. Perhaps the Golden Horde. Has a nice ring to it.

December 28, 1418 - I have made my selection. After a bit research into the Golden Horde's status, I discovered it would take several lifetimes to get them back on their feet. (It's not like I don't have several lifetimes to work with, but I am so eager to start my work.) So I have decided upon the Ottoman Empire. It shares its borders with many of the weaker holy kingdoms. Child's play. And on a personal note, it is not far from Rome, and Rome and I have a score to settle.

December 31, 1418 - I've taken on the form of a rather minor official (the original met with a terrible misfortune). From this position I can observe the inner workings of the empire. Though I seemingly would have no influence, my infernal abilities will take care of that. Tomorrow is a new year, and a new era is about to begin.

Last edited:
I think we'll all enjoy this.

Very interesting

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure, your idea is interesting and the preview looks nice. Good luck with the Ottomans, you should be able to do a lot with them. On another note, I have two questions for you: 1) what difficulty/aggressiveness will this game be played on and 2) How the hell did this diary end up in the Pope's Basement? :)

originally posted by Tem_Probe
I have two questions for you: 1) what difficulty/aggressiveness will this game be played on and 2) How the hell did this diary end up in the Pope's Basement?

Haven't started the game yet, so I can't answer the first one. The second question will be answered in due time, in due time. Muhahahaha!!

January 1, 1419 - The powers that be (not the turks, the other powers that I answer to) have asked that I write a report as to the condition of the empire and its suitability for our purposes. I've decided to add that report here to make a note of my starting position.

Religion - Obviously of, shall we say, special interest to me. The official state religion is Sunni Muslim, however a disturbingly large number of our subjects subscribe to the practices of the Orthodox Church. We will have to change this. Our tolerance for Sunni's is high, naturally, but we are also currently fairly tolerant of the Orthodox sect and will not even kill a Catholic on site. The full measure of our hatred is reserved for our muslim brethren, the Shiites. Strange, I never really considered what relations between pagans would be like. I don't care who you worship as long as you stay away from the Carpenter. Guess I'll have to start taking this into consideration.

Domestic Policies - Overall I'd say this is a surprisingly free culture. That too will change. We do still favor the aristocrats over a peasant middle class (Arist. 7). The government is on it's way to centralization (Cent 4). Society here will not rush to embrace change but does not out and out reject it. (Innov. 5) Trade is still regulated with a heavy hand. (Merch 7). Unfortunately our army is neither decisive on the field or in siege operations (Off. 5). We favor ground forces slightly (Land 6). And our people are not bound to the land. (Serf 5). The relative openness and freedom of this population will not favor my plans. An intimidated and enslaved population is a must. However, even I am but one man (in a manner of speaking). This will take decades if not centuries to achieve in full. Of course time is on my side.

Military - A large reason this kingdom was chosen. It has 3 large armies. The first is stationed in Macedonia and is headed by a rather incompetent fellow named Denizili. Under him is 15,000 infantry and 5,000 cavalry he also has five of these wonderful things called cannons (wish we had these back in Gaul when Ceaser paid us a visit). The Second Army is under the capable command of Yasser, split evenly 10,000 infantry and matching cavalry with one paltry cannon. The Third Army's commander is the uninspiring Krisantem. It is stationed in Smyrna and is set up like the first (15\5). It also has double the cannons of the Second Army. Far and away this is the largest army in the region, and soon under my direction will smashing into the lands under the cross.

Technology - Our knowledge of technological things is pathetic. Then again so is everyone around us. Will need to focus on land tech and infrastructure. I have no wish to trade with the saved and have no need for navy, our armies will do for now.

Our Monarch, Mehmed I, isn't a complete fool, a rare thing among these walking sacks of meat. In diplomatic and military affairs he has some skill (4), but administrating his empire is a strain for him (3). This is all really irrelevant since I will now be the true head of state, but I thought I might as well make a note of it.

Last edited:
January 1, 1419 - A busy day for me indeed. First, I "convinced" Mehmed to reform the army, giving our offensive capability a larger emphasis, and that was before breakfast. Secondly, after a long and spirited debate in the Inner Council, I was tempted to destroy them down to the last man, I was put in charge of bridging the gap between our Muslim brethren. What's the big difference? After all, they are all going to burn in the end. My official response to the decision was actually, "Praise Allah!" The result is that now, officially, we love of Shiite brethren, and both Catholic and Orthodox practitioners are to be despised throughout the land. I also had a discussion with General Denizli. He and I both agreed (he didn't really have a choice on this one) the army in Turkey needed restructuring. I divided them into two forces, one of infantry and one of cavalry. It is my vision of hordes of cavalry riding across, terrorizing the land. With the infantry moving behind, cleaning up the survivors. I also called 5,000 more conscripts of each. Oh, and I almost forgot we declared war on the Duchy of Athens. Let the bleeding begin.

January 2,1419 - Two minor setbacks, first Tuscany it appears was allied with the duchy. They have joined in the war. Secondly, Austria has joined the alliance of Hungry, Bohemia, Luxembourg, and Siebenburgen. They will have to be taken care of, in due time. The feeling around the royal palace is that this is of no consequence to us. Fools. These talking piles of flesh have no concept of the future. Even the wisest of them can only plan out a year or two in the future. Anything else is beyond them.

January 5, 1419 - Another minor Italian state has decided the map is better off without them. Sienna now desires to save Athens from the infidel Turks. Let them try.

January 26, 1419 - At long last Denizli has met the Athenians on the field, and he has crushed them. I do fear if they had a larger force (they only totaled 6,000) Denizli would of not been so successful. The man stands out, even by mortal standards, for his stupidity. He has initiated a siege and I have ordered, oops I mean Mehmed (it's easy to get that confused) has ordered him to split his force and prepare for further action if needed.

March 5, 1419 - A revolt has broken out in Macedonia. It appears the children of the cross there don't like it when you burn their cathedrals to the ground. Too bad. As luck would have Denizli was station in the province and quickly, and quite brutally I might add, put down the little rebellion. This man may have his uses after all.

April 1, 1419 - The faithful ones just don't learn. Another revolt has sprung up, this time in Dobrudja. It appears the local magistrate angered the population when he desecrated a holy artifact. Denizli has been dispatched to show them the folly of their way. Praise Allah!

April 5, 1419 - Lucifer must be smiling on me. The Papal States has the audacity to join in the cause of saving poor little Athens. Welcome to the fray, Rome.

April 7, 1419 - Curses! I was not able to persuade Mehmed to assault my ancient enemy, Rome. He claims we must focus on the task at hand, Athens. Of course I could have "persuaded" through other means, but several leading members of the Inner Council were also present. I must get that fool alone.

April 14, 1419 - The first bit of Italian blood has been spilled. How I long for more. It seems Tuscany has taken this "saving Athens thing" seriously and landed in Hellas. The sieging forces there didn't even have to miss lunch over this so called battle.

May 1, 1419 - It seems Rome will have to wait, for now. I had just managed to get Mehmed to see the error of his ways regarding Rome, when a pair of revolts broke out in Macedonia and Bulgaria. Both succeeded in killing the local authorities and taking control of the towns. Yasser, who was to be sent to Rome, is now on his way to quell this rebellion.

June 1, 1419 - Word of this so called "holy revolution" has spread. Now Dobrudja is up in arms. They have not taken the town, but are laying siege. It appears a commoner by the name of Antonias has taken the lead in this revolt. His head will look nice on my nightstand.

June 18,1419 - Yasser, who was on his way to Macedonia, was ambushed by Antonias just outside Thrace. He easily defeat the rabble, but Antonias managed to escape. I've put a bounty of 100 gold pieces on his head.

June 22, 1419 - Yasser has arrived in Macedonia. He has split his force and will soon arrive in Bulgaria shortly. Denizli also made it to Rumelia in time to stop the infection from spreading. Once this rebellion is over, the followers of the One will know my wrath.

June 27, 1419 - Tuscany has a real love for seeing her sons put to death. Another force landed, but this time in Smyrna. Fortunately I stationed Krisantem there, to protect our flank. The Italians never made it past the beaches.

Last edited:
This is very unique, I am REALLY enjoying how you portray this "Demon" as he plays with his puppets so to speak. If I may be so bold, you have done SO well with the bits of this minions thoughts and schemes in the spiritual realm, can I ask for about three times as much of your creativity on this:D meaning write more, more, more hehe;)

Great work man, this is a good read.

Yikes! Half of your provinces are Orthodox to begin with and you've set tollerance to them at rock bottom? That's either amazing role playing or a bit of a serious potential for dissaster. Perhaps you could tollerate the Orthodox church a little bit since they're openly defiant of the Pope and this has a destabilizing effect on all of Europe, making your task easier. Of course that doesn't mean you won't want to wipe out the head of the Orthodox Church (and quickly so you get the "move capital and get 3 free conversions" event and the "CoT in Thrace" event...).

A good start, Craig. Now go kick some Christian butt! :)

don't ignore your ancient enemies, the byzantines, for long.

and watch out for vlad the impaler...

An excellent piece of work. It will be interesting to see if you can conquer all of Europe with your highly repressive christian policys. And on that note either you are a lunatic, or the best EUII player to ever grace the game, (and since I know you personally, I am going to have go with the former :D ) to start with a zero tolerence policy to Orthodoxy when your country starts as 90% orthodox.

Although it saddens me to say it, since I do love Byzantium, (notice the shield) Byzantium should be delt with swiftly to help relieve some of the pressure on your empire; created by your highly insane religious policys.

In the end there can be only one!!!

Last edited:
I've noticed that some of you have referred to the narrator as the devil or the demon. He has a name (I just haven't worked it into the story yet). He is Rafar, formerly Overlord of Gaul and recently elevated to the title of Dark Prince of Turkey.

originally posted by MrT

That's either amazing role playing or a bit of a serious potential for dissaster.

originally posted by jmr077

It will be interesting to see if you can conquer all of Europe with your highly repressive christian policys. And on that note either you are a lunatic, or the best EUII player to ever grace the game, (and since I know you personally, I am going to have go with the former)

Antonias and children of the cross will get what they are owed. Soon, very soon. Muhahahahah!!!
- Rafar, Dark Prince of Turkey

Seriously though, I just wanted all of you to know that the decisions I make in this game will be character driven (for the most part).;) Debating Rafar's strategies would be an exercise in futility. Mainly because he's insane.

Last edited:
Warspite,

If you are referring to the relative shortness of my posts, for now it is a necessary evil. Between juggling 2 AAR's (maybe a third), actually playing the games, taking my notes, and various RL issues (work, food, sleep, wife) this is the best I can do.:D I will try to keep the updates coming. Thanks for reading and the kind words.

August 1, 1419 - These damn Italians are getting on my nerves. Venice has established a monopoly in her trade zone. I despise the thought of any kind of cooperation with the His children, but gold made from trade with the holy nations can be used to destroy later. Venice cannot become the economic power in the region.

August 2, 1419 - Denizli has done well again. The revolt in Drudja has succeeded only in the creation of 5,000 martyrs. Good riddance. On a less pleasing note, the Serbs have joined an alliance with Cyprus and the Knights of St. John. Perhaps the true believers see the noose tightening around their necks.

August 3, 1419 - Damn Venice to . . . well you know. They have allied with Bosnia. These holy alliances may become a problem.

August 8, 1419 - Yasser has arrived in Bulgaria. What in blazes took so long? Seems Yasser stopped to burn a few churches along the way. Praise be to Allah!

August 17, 1419 - Seems that Bohemia has changed its state religion. Some nonsense called Protestant. I don't care what the faithful ones call themselves as long as they die. Still this split in the church may be useful. Perhaps they could be played one off the other. Perhaps.

September 1, 1419 - I knew Denizli was a fool. It was just a matter of time. It seems Antonias slipped into Rumelia right under his nose and whipped the peasant scum into a fury with his preaching. Not only did they revolt, they succeeded! Denizli is currently riding hard to Drudja. His army is having trouble keeping up. I think he would ride back to Turkey if possible. It is an utter embarrassment to have our regulars defeated by such vermin. They're farmers with pitchforks. Denizli had better make this right.

September 16, 1419 - I have learned that stupidity cannot be accounted for when planning a battle. How else could Denizli with 12,000 men loose to a force of 4,000? A stupid child could win with those odds. Unfortunately instead of a stupid child, we have Denizli.

September 26, 1419 - We have managed to secure a Royal Marriage with Ak Koyunlu. It is my plan to play nice with our fellow heathens. Diplomacy and the mere threat of our might should keep them in line. I do not wish to waste the lives of our soldiers fighting our brethren. I intend to waste their lives fighting the holy ones.

October 12, 1419 - I have received word from Athens. The commander reports that the city will fall with in three months. I would be more optimistic if this wasn't the same babble I heard of three months ago.

October 21, 1419 - Ah, the sweet taste of Italian blood. (No I'm not actually drinking it. I have to maintain some illusion of humanity.) The Papal States decided they were better off without 7,000 of their young men. The seas off the Smyrnian coast were red. My first small vengeance against Rome. More to come.

November 1, 1419 - Our dim-witted general strikes again. Not content with revolt in Romelia, Antonias again sneaks into Drudja on Denizli's watch and incites a second revolt. No word on how the battle turned out. I'm not taking that as a good sign.

November 5, 1419 - Even a blind man can his own backside. How else could I explain that Denizli actually defeated the rebellion? Of course, Antonias remains a free man. That whole backside thing, it's not a guarantee.

December 1, 1419 - I have come to the conclusion that Antonias is twice the commander that Denizli is. Denizli will never defeat him in open battle. So a new plan of attack must be made. I have allowed the conservative members of the Inner Council to change our religious policies. They think it a victory over me, but they played right into my hands. Predictably they have set a policy of tolerance for the Orthodox faith and one of extreme persecution for the Shiite. Without persecution, the saved will become fat and lazy. After all, no need to take up arms when you are free to practice your faith. I have tried to destroy the shepard so that I may disperse the sheep. Now, I will lure the sheep away. Let Antonias fight with no army.

March 27, 1420 - Are all men insane or just delusional? The pope has the audacity to make demands. He has offered to stop slaughtering his citizens on the beaches of Smyrna in exchange for a payment of 75,000 ducats. I think not, your holiness.

April 8,1 420 - Bulgaria has fallen. Yasser had the traitors executed in classic fashion, crucification. That's always been a favorite of mine. Yasser is now on his way to Romelia. Denizli will get there first, and then after his defeat, Yasser will finish off the rebel scum.

April 22, 1420 - Macedonia has fallen. It would seem our new policies have drained the moral of the traitors. We also drained the blood from their bodies. (I am becoming thirsty thinking of this. Still I must resist.)

April 28, 1420 - Denizli. Victory. Recently I had thought the two to be mutually exclusive, but he succeeded without the help of Yasser. (Who was tardy because despite our recent change in policy, he stopped to torch an ancient cathedral, with the parishioners inside. Nice work I must say.) As added bonus, Antonias has been captured. He is being sent to me. What to do? What to do?

May 26, 1420 - Athens has surrendered. The first step has been taken.

Last edited:
Still an excellent read!

It was a smart move (but of course not Rafar's choice) to pick up some tolerance for the Orthodox faith. My faith that you can do this has just increased tenfold.

My question is this though, on August 8th Rafar says "praise be to Allah", shouldn't it be something more along the lines of "The dark prince should be pleased." Just curious, since Rafar has already made it known that he has no love for Allah.

Last edited:
originally posted by jmr077

My question is this though, on August 8th Rafar says "praise be to Allah", shouldn't it be something more along the lines of 'The dark prince should be pleased." Just curious, since Rafar has already made known that he has no love for Allah.

Of course I have no love for Allah. I am incapable of love. My use of the name of Allah is sarcastic. I mock the beliefs of even my pagan pawns.

- Rafar, Dark Price of Turkey