• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bloodshed is not the answer to the current crisis facing our nation. It will leave our flanks exposed to the Mexicans and Navajos while weakening our image abroad and destroying our democracy here at home. It is a man's right to disagree with the president however his grievances should be solved through words not violence. For this reason I call upon President Jarvis and Mr. Sinclair to join me for negotiations in San Jose. Furthermore I ask that should worst come to worst all Confederalists work to support the president, not because we agree with him on every issue but because the sanctity and honor of our republic must be upheld no matter what the cost.

-Lewis Owings

Reactions:

687474703a2f2f6939322e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f6c33322f736163656e746175722f31383737373131652d613930312d343931642d616664662d3935663130356565313364635f7a707365323461663935382e6a7067

The Battle of Little Creek Bend

The initial skirmishes between the California Rangers and the Navajo nation were more along the lines of tests, each side testing the capabilities of the other, looking to find weaknesses to exploit. The first real encounter between the Rangers and the Navajo occurred at near the newly settled town of Corazon, after the Navajo stole a large head of cattle. This encounter was later known as the Great Navajo Raid of 1847, which proved to be something much less than 'Great'. A Navajo raiding party, lead by the then-unknown Carlos Nepomuceno. Carlos Nepomuceno led his raiding party to a rancher outside Corazon, and stole a herd of horses, 20 to be exact, from John Carson, a recent settler who moved to California to live his dream as a rancher. Luckily for Mr. Carson, 20 Rangers were stationed in the town of Corazon, as part of Major McAlistor's 'Every town is safe' plan. The Rangers were alerted by Mr. Carson, and they sprung into action. Racing out from Corazon, the Rangers managed to catch up to the Navajo, almost riding out their horses in the process. Led by Captain William Haley, the Rangers were able to free 10 of the horses from the Indian grasp. Seeing the loss of his prize, Nepomuceno had his men kill the rest of the horses, and ride off. Captain Haley had his Rangers hold, and let Nepomuceno run off, making possibly the biggest mistake of his early career.

After the execution of the Californian military delegation, Major McAlistor finally saw who the real enemy to California was, he realized that the Rangers finally had a purpose. That purpose was to eliminate the threat of the Navajo nation. McAlistor took 40 of his Rangers to the last reported location of the delegation, a small river known to the local populace as Little Creek. He rode to a bend in the river, where Major McAlistor made a crucial mistake. Henry McAlistor has fought Cheyenne's, he has fought Sioux, he has even fought the dreaded Comanche, but he has never experienced the ambushes of the Navajo. As his men were riding down the left bank of the creek, the man who escaped Captain Haley, Carlos Nepomuceno attacked. His horsemen rode in like a spring storm, and wreaked chaos among the Rangers. Firing their rifles into the ranks of the Rangers and driving their lances into the thinly clothed Rangers, the Navajo fully exploited the element of surprise to rout the Rangers and claim a decisive victory over the whites. After the battle Nepomuceno made a name for himself by scalping five dead Rangers and mutilating their bodies beyond recognition. Riding back to Fort Ide in defeat, McAlistor swore to kill Nepomuceno, beginning one of the great rivalries of the New Mexican frontier.

Reactions:
The Third Way
By Assemblyman Grover Smith, Leader of the National People's Party
It seems that the leaders of the main parties have resulted to bickering like little children. They have become disillusioned and have strayed from their original path of helping the people. Although I rarely agree with Mister Owings or the Confederalists I applaud his attempt to prevent unnecessary bloodshed and encourage all others to do so as well. Why waste your bullets and blood on your own people, on Californians? Just not long ago we were fighting alongside each other for independence now we turn our backs on each other! I am disappointed especially with those who think this is for the good of the nation. How could killing your own kind be good for the nation? I urge all Californians who are dissatisfied with the main parties to join the National People's Party. For a third way! For a better California!

I will also add that I support The militia for the Protection of the Innocents.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that many prominent figures in this nation do not understand the purpose of democracy. The point of an elected government is to serve the people and act together for the good of the nation. Now we see petty power grabs by political elites aimed at removing President Jarvis from office, who, may I remind you, was elected by the population of our fair nation. Like a child throwing a temper-tantrum after finding out that the Senate would not stoop to partisan demands, democracy is quickly being brushed away by those who do not understand the principles of a limited government. How can the government work to serve the people if factionalists and partisans are willing to subvert our noble Republic in favor of despotism and petty revenge?

Does the political elite really wish to wet the ground with the blood of innocent Californians? Do they want to make the Republic the laughing stock of the world by letting the Mexicans march straight up to Monterrey, signing away our freedoms for tyranny in the process? Now should be a time for national unity against foreign threats, not civil war and the destruction of democracy!

For the unity of the nation and the good of the people, I urge all Californians to vote for the National People's Party!

- J. F. Benton

I also would like to declare my support for the Militia for the Protection of Innocents. The Californian people must be protected from the machinations of trifling elites who clearly do not care for them.

Letters are sent by the wealthy merchant Christopher J. Stevenson.

To Matthew James O'Brien,

I have recently been informed about your interest in establishing a railroad between San Francisco and San Jose. I am interested in being part of said venture. I am also proposing to lengthen the railroad to Monterey, providing easy travel in the north of California.

I can offer to import cheap work force, since I am regularly bringing immigrants from China.

Signed,
Christopher J. Stevenson

To Jonathan M. Stevenson.

Dearest father. I hope all is well in Pittsburgh.

I am establishing a name in California. The area holds great potential for profits, but it is also much more unstable. It is also therefore I am writing you today.

I do not remember if any of our friends are involved in the production of weaponry, or if you have contacts. But I have an opportunity that can benefit all parties.

The government is currently not particularly well-equipped, and apparently diplomatic blunders have pushed up prices of cannons. It is my intention to buy cannons at higher prices than the American army, and then sell them here in California for a nice profit.

Also at the same time I have found there to be a void of qualified work force. Most are uneducated and do well as low-paid laborers, factory workers or farm hands, but few teachers or engineers. I would hope that you would be able to convince some new graduates of the opportunities in California, and how I would be interested to provide some starting capital for setting up their own companies or schools.

Signed,
Your son, Christopher J. Stevenson

- Expansion and conflict, '50-'53

On February 28, 1850, Young organised a Board of Regents to establish the University of Deseret in the Salt Lake Valley. That same year, Mormon pioneer William Davis explored the region at the northern end of the Wasatch Front. He returned to the area in 1851 with his family and others to create a permanent settlement. In 1852, Brigham Young direct Lorenzo Snow to create a self-sufficient city at the site. The settlement was eventually named Box Elder in 1855.

In 1850 Hobble Creek was settled by eight pioneer families, who upon arriving at Salt Lake Valley from the East were directed by President Young to settle 50 miles to the south. Incorporated in 1853, the city was so named because their horses were often hobbled and left along the stream to graze in the lush grass, and when the horses wandered into the creek the hobbles would come loose.

In 1851, a toll bridge was constructed across the Platte river using funds provided by the Church. It's creation led to the demise of the old ferry, but the bridge provided a more secure and quicker method of crossing, easing the long trek. Further developing the pioneer routes, Colonel John Reese and a band of eighteen men established Mormon Station, a trading post near Eagle Valey, thirty miles from Lake Tahoe.

Also in 1851, Brigham Young acted upon the report of Parley P. Pratt (who had performed reconnaissance in the Little Salt Lake Valley, notably finding iron deposits), and called for the establishment of settlements in the region to produce much-needed iron for the growing Mormon community. Mormon apostle George A. Smith was appointed head of this "Iron Mission" that year, and led the first company of 120 men, 31 women, and 18 children south from Provo (recently renamed from Fort Utah). This company broke the trail, clearing roads and building bridges on their route, reaching Center Creek in 1851. This new community became Parowan.

Parowan soon earned the name "Mother Town of the Southwest", because of the many pioneers who left from there to start other communities. In its first year, colonists established Johnson Fort (founded by Joel H. Johnson), as well as Fort Cedar, which was established equidistant from iron and coal deposits.

By 1852, relations between the Mormons and Bridger (co-owner of the eponymous Fort Bridger) has deteriorated badly. That year, a group of the Battalion rode east to arrest Bridger for selling alcohol to the Natives, a transgression of the Church's law. He escaped, and returned to the East; in the meantime, the Mormons established Fort Supply near the existing fort.

Since 1848, the settlement of Manti had been struggling to prosper in the Sanpete Valley. Initially relations between the settlers and the Ute Natives had been good; the Mormons felt it their duty to bring the gospel to the natives, and when a measles epidemic broke out the Mormons used their limited medicine to aid the natives. Similarly, the Indians provided the settlers with food in the first bitter winters. Indeed, in 1849 Chief Walkara negotiated trade with the settlement, and later was baptised into the Church.

However, relations between the two peoples would deteriorate rapidly. The expansion of the Latter-day Saints throughout the Great Basin increased pressure on the natives and limited their raiding and hunting lifestyle, while the Saints often objected to the native slave-trade. In addition, the growing gold rush in California proper saw increasing numbers of non-Mormons passing through the lands to the south. Some natives were killed in disputes, and Walkara and other leaders became increasingly angry with both the Mormonees and the Mericats, designations used by local tribes to distinguish Mormon settlers from non-Mormon Americans.

These pressures, additional measles epidemics in the 1850s, and the rise of competing bands of Shoshone raiders ultimately led to a brief conflict known as the Walker War. The conflict seemed to have two converging origins: Walkara's failure to acquire a Mormon wife, and a confrontation between James Ivie and a native in Hobble Creek that resulted in the death of the Ute tribesman.

The war itself consisted of raids conducted against Mormon outposts in central and southern Utah and retaliations by organized the Battalion. In one case, four settlers driving oxen-drawn wagons to Salt Lake City from Manti were attacked and killed at Uintah Springs on the night of September 30, 1853. Historical accounts indicate that the Battalion retaliated for the killings two days later, killing Natives. In a passive defence effort, Young directed settlers to move within the forts that were located in most Mormon settlements (highlighting that these forts were first and foremost for the protection of settlers rather than military institutions).

Due to the actions of Young and the Battalion, casualties during the war totalled twelve white settlers and an equally modest number of Indians (while the most published figures, these are generally thought to account only civilian losses; the Battalion recorded twenty of its own dead or wounded, and at least twice this inflicted upon the Ute braves).

The Walker War ended through an understanding negotiated between Young and Walkara during the winter of 1852 and finalized in May 1853 in Levan, near Nephi, Utah. The peace was a welcome one, but did little to solve the underlying causes of the conflict. Following the Walker War, the Mormon Battalion was officially renamed the Nauvoo Legion. The renaming was both a ceremonal break from the United States, and an honour to the previous Nauvoo Legion.

Last edited:
Letters are sent by the wealthy merchant Christopher J. Stevenson.

Dear Mr. Stevenson,

I have received your letter and am happy to hear of your enthusiasm for the project. I think that our partnership in building this railroad would be a most excellent idea. In regards to Monterrey, I am wary of extending the line all the way to Monterrey due to the presence of a competitor line from San Jose to Monterrey, but I suppose you are right that we must expand somewhat. I think, therefore, we ought to first build from San Francisco to San Jose, and then go from San Jose down to Monterrey if our first link is successful. If all goes well, we shall hopefully be able to break ground at the start of 1850, once all this political madness dies down somewhat. I am quite certain that by the end of this, we will both be very, very rich.

Yours truly,
Matthew O'Brien

OOC: Left earlier than expected. Was unable to send any orders for any game I'm involved in, and as far as I can tell I am for some reason unable to send PMs on mobile. I will try to rectify this ASAP

The incompetence and foolishness of the Jarvis administration is both horrifiying and incredible. Rather then ensure the establishment of the vital institutions and traditions that would provide a base for the Californian Republic to grow from he saw fit to deny us any stability in the name of his foolish ideology. Since the establishment of this Republic I have never ceased to support the establishment of a true Californian Army to defend our fair Nation. I stated that the Mexicans would return with a vengeance and they have, pillaging as they come. The "California Rangers" supposedly intended to defend the frontier from Indian and Mexican raids have been an unmitigated failure and the blame for both this and the lack of a true Standing Army must lie squarely on the shoulders of both President Jarvis and his incompetent Minister of War, Lewis Owings.

Faced with this the City of San Francisco had little choice but to establish it's own militia in order to ensure the safety of it's 25,000 citizens from the maurauding Mexican navy and Indians raiders. Those that claim that the actions of the city were illegal are clearly incorrect, the establishment of a militia is a Consitutional right of all Californians, and foolish, the duty of all government's is to defend the people whose safety is entrusted to them. As the President has quite clearly failed to provide even the most basic protection to his people and has allowed the entire country to fall into lawlessness the Government of San Francisco had a duty to it's citizens to ensure their defense. It is quite clear that, unlike the country as a whole, San Francisco has prospered and remains a free and just democracy and I therefore fully support Mr Sinclair in his actions to restore order, justice and prosperity to our Great Republic.

~William Henry Clinton, Member for San Francisco, City Councillor of San Francisco

Throughout the years, there have been many men who have wondered, what is the true nature of man? Is he an angel, sent to deliver salvation to the Godless races that populate this earth? Is he a devil, who simply seeks to satisfy his own hunger and depravities? Is he born as a blank slate, only to be coloured by the world in which he lives? My dear friends, I am not a wise enough man to tell you the final answer to this question. Perhaps no man could ever be wise enough. But I shall say that today, men have shown themselves to be beasts. Perhaps it is in the nature of these men, or perhaps it was simply a choice they made. Nevertheless, they have chosen to destroy, attack, devour that which they cannot understand. They have chosen to be rid of that with which they do not agree with.

Gentlemen, we are politicians, one and all. We were elected, and we stand here today as a testament to civilisation. A testament that man need not establish their power by violence, but by the sacred traditions which we guard. We have sworn off the urge to kill and maim for our beliefs in the name of peace and democracy. Yet now, we see that not all politicians are such. Mr Sinclair and many others who have joined this pathetic and revolting revolutionary force have shown that they'd rather show their point by the bayonet, rather than the word or the pen. They have shown themselves unable to convince the electorate, and therefore they instead wish to kill those who they disagree with. My friends, Mr Sinclair and has bandits have shown themselves to be savages, devoid of any civilisation today. They have broken our sacred laws, our traditions and our democracy. I am a man of God, and I would wish to say that I pray for their souls to be delivered from Hell. But as a man does not pray for a dog, so too can I not pray for a savage

To the nation of California, I say that this cannot be allowed to stand. To the nation of California, I say that we must defend our democracy.
To the nation of California, I beg: Do not let our nation fall.

- Doctor César Antonio Castañón
Party Leader of the California Imperial Party

I have never before found my self in agreement with an Imperialist but the good Doctor is correct. By announcing a coup the Mr. Sinclair has shown his utter contempt for democracy and for the republican values on which California was founded. All of us agree Jarvis has made mistakes however that means that in 3 years elections will happen again and a new man will be president. Instead of just waiting the National Democrats greatly overreacted. They have committed treason, our nation is in the midst of hard times and instead of keeping the country unified and strong what has Mr. Sinclair done? He has fractured the country to its core for personal gain. The man cares not for democracy but for his own power. He wishes to make California his personal fiefdom! The man deserves only contempt and disgust! He is no better then Napoleon strangling democracy in its cradle. For these reasons I beseech all true Californians every man woman and child no matter of political or religious affiliation. Stand up for your democracy! Stand up for the right to choose your representatives! If you do not stand up now perhaps that opportunity will never come again. Let those men in San Francisco hear your outrage! Let them know you will not stand for this!

God Bless California!

-Lewis Owings President of the California Confederalist Party

Reactions:
Originally given in the Navajo tongue, then distributed in both Navajo and Spanish,

When the Republic of California was proclaimed, the White Man promised a nation built on liberty and freedom for all its peoples, which should have been a day of celebration for the Navajo Peoples. But the White Man did not speak with truth, and moved only to replace Mexican chains with Californian chains, maintaining the unjust position of supremacy of the Navajo Peoples, and indeed over all native inhabitants on this land that do not conform to their way of life, forcing their version of "civilization" on us.

But no longer shall the White Man hold power over the Navajo peoples, no longer shall we tolerate slavery to White interests, no longer shall we be denied our Navajo Nation, for and by the Navajo People! The Battle of Little Creek Bend, as it has been labelled, is but the first of many righteous victories that shall be enjoyed by the Navajo People in our mission to restore the lands stolen by White settlers.

To those Navajo People that have yet to rise alongside us, I ask you to join arms and together the Navajo People shall cast off the White Man's chains, and together we shall forge a unity that shall never be sundered by the meddling of foreigners, our tribes standing side-by-side to embrace our destiny towards independence. To those other native peoples that share our same pains, I ask of you to follow our example and rally together to reverse White domination over these lands. It is we who possess the numbers and spirit to strike down evil, and it is the White Man who should cower and be forced back, for California is not a land of Whites, it is a land of wilderness, of Nature, that shall be, and always be, the homeland of we free native peoples!

Alexander Sinclair addresses a crowd in San Francisco.

Citizens of California, let me say first that I have been mistaken! I have heaped a thousand pounds of blame on Henry Jarvis for the errors and the misfortunes that have befallen our Republic, and though we disagree and will continue to disagree on issues of importance, I can no longer accuse him of not loving this country or its people with sincerity! I have spoken to the President, in my capacity as Chief Minister, and we have reached an understanding! There is a new way forward for us, my fellow Californians, based on compromise and mutual decision-making! There will be a standing army to defend our nation! There will be a convention to revise and reform the Constitution into a formal document! There will be peace!

But first, my fellow citizens, we must confront the evil in our midst! For while we have blamed the Republicans for wrong-doing, Lewis Owings and his Confederalist Party have undermined the sanctity and security of our nation! They have systematically attempted to consolidate all military power in their hands, to weaken our militias, to ignore our laws and our Constitution for the sake of lining their own pockets!

I have seen the lies of the Confederalists! They have manipulated and betrayed every politician in our nation who sought only to do right by his constituents, for they serve only a corrupt elite! The honest businessmen, the farmer and the worker, suffer under economic privation and national instability because the Confederalists want our nation weak and splintered! I have correspondence proving that they are in league with slave-holding interests in the Republic of Texas, that they have sought men and guns from our neighbor to continue their efforts to destabilize our country! One only has to look at the corrupt bargain they blackmailed the President into, forcing him to pack his Cabinet with Owings and his cronies, forcing him to water down his abolitionist stance, to see their diseased hand gripping the heart of California itself!

I say that we must end the threat of Owings, Burpo, and their ilk, once and for all! The Grand Army of the Republic shall march, but not on Monterey! No, we shall march against Owings, against Burpo, against every law-breaking slave-owning aristocrat who thinks they're above the law! If they do not lay down their arms and submit to civil justice, if they do not free every slave on their farms and plantations in accordance with the Constitution, then they shall be forced to submit! Only then, when the cancer is cut out of our great nation, will there be peace!

Forward the Grand Army of the Republic, for California and for liberty!

Reactions:
delaware_militia.gif

The Griswold-Lehr Militia

By the Grace of God and the Might of Liberty, the Griswold-Lehr Militia shall lead the Grand Army of the Republic into the depths of the Confederal Territory and smite those ungodly sinners! For it is our duty as men of honour and citizens of this fine nation that we strike at those that seek to undermine our glorious and newfound nation.

"Lo, from San Francisco, the Griswold-Lehr Militia marches!
Lo, through down to the border of Mexico, the Griswold-Lehr Militia will march again!"

Captain
John Griswold

Reactions:
Alexander Sinclair addresses a crowd in San Francisco.

Citizens of California, let me say first that I have been mistaken! I have heaped a thousand pounds of blame on Henry Jarvis for the errors and the misfortunes that have befallen our Republic, and though we disagree and will continue to disagree on issues of importance, I can no longer accuse him of not loving this country or its people with sincerity! I have spoken to the President, in my capacity as Chief Minister, and we have reached an understanding! There is a new way forward for us, my fellow Californians, based on compromise and mutual decision-making! There will be a standing army to defend our nation! There will be a convention to revise and reform the Constitution into a formal document! There will be peace!

But first, my fellow citizens, we must confront the evil in our midst! For while we have blamed the Republicans for wrong-doing, Lewis Owings and his Confederalist Party have undermined the sanctity and security of our nation! They have systematically attempted to consolidate all military power in their hands, to weaken our militias, to ignore our laws and our Constitution for the sake of lining their own pockets!

I have seen the lies of the Confederalists! They have manipulated and betrayed every politician in our nation who sought only to do right by his constituents, for they serve only a corrupt elite! The honest businessmen, the farmer and the worker, suffer under economic privation and national instability because the Confederalists want our nation weak and splintered! I have correspondence proving that they are in league with slave-holding interests in the Republic of Texas, that they have sought men and guns from our neighbor to continue their efforts to destabilize our country! One only has to look at the corrupt bargain they blackmailed the President into, forcing him to pack his Cabinet with Owings and his cronies, forcing him to water down his abolitionist stance, to see their diseased hand gripping the heart of California itself!

I say that we must end the threat of Owings, Burpo, and their ilk, once and for all! The Grand Army of the Republic shall march, but not on Monterey! No, we shall march against Owings, against Burpo, against every law-breaking slave-owning aristocrat who thinks they're above the law! If they do not lay down their arms and submit to civil justice, if they do not free every slave on their farms and plantations in accordance with the Constitution, then they shall be forced to submit! Only then, when the cancer is cut out of our great nation, will there be peace!

Forward the Grand Army of the Republic, for California and for liberty!

You, sir, are a despicable tyrant. You seek to destroy our democracy by forcing through the changes you want by gunpoint. If we go down this path, California shall turn into a corrupt cesspool of murder and intrigue on the bones of republicanism, much like France and the nations of Latin America.

Friends of democracy, let us rally to defend our liberties, including the cherished institution of slavery. Do not let the dictatorial Sinclair turn California into his personal empire. We fought off Santa Anna and we can certainly defeat Sinclair! If he wants to strip us of our God-given rights he will have to kill us first.

-Colton Burpo

Election Results: 1849 Congressional

With the rectification of gerrymandered districts solved to be more equatable to the actual population, the 1849 Congressional Election took place under mellow circumstances. While the Chief Minister had requested a vote to remove President Jarvis from office, the Senate is protected to reject the vote. Nevertheless, as the Senate deliberated their results, the results for the Congressional Election were released. The National Democrats were the biggest losers, taking massive hits from southern California and coastal cities, while the California Association surged forward, increasing their share of the Assembly by thirty seats, a clear sign of voters' frustration at President Jarvis and the Republicans. Both the Republicans and the Confederalists saw their seat numbers decline.

The results showed a nearly complete rejection of President Jarvis' policies, and the continued strength of the National Democrat movement. The rise of other minor parties outside of the main four was also notable, with the National People's Party staking it's claim as the "third way" (despite actually being the 5th way), and the California Association taking home a lions share of the Californio vote, showing that many were fed up with the Anglo-dominated parties and demanded that changes be made. While the first election showed a clear National Democrat majority, a coalition would most certainly have to be forged, but no one could quite figure out who would lead the country moving forward.

taO9hJm.png

34 California Association (Orange), 30 National Democrats (Blue), 14 Confederalists (Light Green), 9 Republicans (Red), 6 National People's Party (Light Blue), 5 Expansionists (Green-Brown), 2 Independents (Dark Grey)​

Sheridan, despite switching parties and facing a fierce challenger from the California Association, manages to keep his seat in the National Assembly by the slimmest of margins.