• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Badger Billy O'Dea arrived in Monterey via the Truelove's pinnace, which he had the foresight to keep handy when the whaler last put in to port. A surprise nominee, even to himself, he did his best to look the part. He'd bathed and was freshly shaven, in his best tweed jacket and very fine bowler hat. His (non functioning) pocket watch was polished to a high sheen, as was his (highly functional) unique koa wood shillelagh, scrimshawed with the St Brendan's cross and other nautical motifs. He was leaning on it as though it were an elegant walking stick, and generally strutting down the gangway, pleased with life in general.

A modest crowd gathered. Monterey lived largely by its port. Under Mexican law it was the sole legal point of import and export, and much as that rule was ignored it had helped establish the town as the capital of business. Aside from the fate of this law, the navy secretary must in the natural order of things make countless appointments, from officers commissions to customs agents. Many people might owe their livelihoods to the goodwill of this odd, unknown fellow.

Badger Billy knew all this and reveled in it. Appearantly on a whim, he jumped up on to a barrel and began to speak.

"Buenas dias, chaps. You might have guessed, but I'm William Patrick O'Dea, Secretary of the Navy. But seeing as there ain't strictly speaking a navy just yet, you can go ahead and call my Badger Billy, or just plain Badger. Now, you might be thinking I'd be spouting off about glorious fleets, full of three deckers and heavy frigates and colonies and what not. Well, you can put all that out your mind, not for years an' years yet.

I've sailed all seven seas and then some, and let me tell you somethin' that's true on all of them. What happens at sea, it starts on land, savvy? Now this here country has some of the best harbors on the most important ocean of all of them. So why is it that all three times I've sailed on whalers we had to take all the spare masts and spars and rigging we could with us 'fore we rounded the horn? Because there ain't any to be had on this side, that's why, and what nothing there is would cost you your eye.

Before we get going with a proper fleet we need proper ports, with proper dockyards. Not just for fighting ships neither. Won't be long before half the worlds money will be floating off this coast. And if we don't build up our ports, you know where it'll go? Up north in Oregon Country, or down south to Old Mexico. And then what proper flats we'll look.

Now I'll get us sorted. And if you don't like how I do it, you go on and get you someone else. But I'll promise you, it ain't going to be free, and it won't make everybody happy. It'll mean a lot of work, but one day you'll be glad ol Badger Billy was around to get you started. Right, now who knows where to get a decent drink and a cleanish bunk around here?"

Announcement from the California War Department!

Arms producers across the California have been issued a challenge! The War Department is looking for a new standard service rifle to issue to its troops and to fill its armories. We challenge all weapons producers across the country to design a new rifle for use by the military. The winner will receive a contract with the California army for 3,000 rifles. However should all manufacturers fail to produce a weapon worthy of our troops we will be forced to look abroad for our guns. This rifle should have a quick reload time, be able to weather the every day wear and tear of army life and be easy to maintain.

Good luck to all of our competitors!

God Bless California!

-Lewis Owings Secretary of War

Last edited:
Ag0MK0h.png

The Pacific Railway Corporation is pleased to announce new investors and the beginnings of it's first stage plan for a railroad. The railroad will begin in the capital of Monterey and end in Sacramento, with one stop in San Jose, and another approximately halfway between San Jose and Sacramento. The new line hopes to succeed in transporting freight from the interior to the capital of Monterey and helping to develop a proper infrastructure in California.

Investors:
John M. Menzies
Christopher J. Stevenson
Lewis Owings
Thaddeus Smith

I1u74Kf.png

Planned Locomotive of the Pacific Railway Corporation

The corporation plans on the purchase of two Baldwin Eight-Wheeled Connected Engines from the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, PA, to be shipped to and assembled in Monterey following their completion. In addition, the company has filed requests for a total of eight railroad cars from the Allison Manufacturing Company, also of Philadelphia. The cars are to be shipped along with the Baldwin Locomotives. Upon the arrival of the locomotives and cars, provided that the track has reached at least one of its destinations, will begin running on the completed length of track. Upon completion, both locomotives will run the track.

Workers will immediately be hired to begin construction of the wrought iron tracks, which will begin construction in Monterey, and end in Sacramento. Presently, only small stations will be erected in San Jose, Midway Junction, and Sacramento, with a larger station in Sacramento, however, construction of stations will be a secondary concern to the construction of the railroad. All workers will begin work immediately.

Heinrich decides that its best to place what little money he has into a small farm to serve as a official residence while placing the rest in a small logging company to help feed the likely needed timber industry. His priority placed upon his military career and assisting those around he sees worthy of following. As well the new nation he needs to be available to protect, perhaps in a role in a standing army.

"I would like to present to the Chief Minister my proposed legislation regarding the Militias of this Republic and their organization in times of national crises and of war."

The Militia Re-organization and Deployment Act
Written & Presented by Representative Isaac Leonard Shaw

§ I. The several Militias of the various Districts of the Republic shall be organized into local defense regions, hereafter dubbed "regions", comprising the area of several combined Districts.

§ II. The militias within these regions shall be placed under a central figurehead, with the title of "General of the Militias", who shall be a respected officer of a militia within that region, and who shall be appointed by the President or the Secretary of War.

§ III. The General of the Militias of each region shall have authority over all militias under his jurisdiction and shall, in times of national crises or emergencies, have the authority to uphold the various laws of the Republic, and to maintain order in his region.

§ IV. The General of the Militias may only assume command of his region over local militia leaders by order of the President or the Secretary of War.

§ V. The President may remove and replace Generals of the Militia at his will, and may assume the command of the militias of a certain region personally, but cannot assume command of the militias of multiple regions simultaneously.

§ VI. A changing of the size or scope of regions, and the creation or dissolution of regions, requires an act of the National Assembly and a subsequent majority vote in favor.

"I would like to present to the Chief Minister my proposed legislation regarding the Militias of this Republic and their organization in times of national crises and of war."

The Militia Re-organization and Deployment Act
Written & Presented by Representative Isaac Leonard Shaw

§ I. The several Militias of the various Districts of the Republic shall be organized into local defense regions, hereafter dubbed "regions", comprising the area of several combined Districts.

§ II. The militias within these regions shall be placed under a central figurehead, with the title of "General of the Militias", who shall be a respected officer of a militia within that region, and who shall be appointed by the President or the Secretary of War.

§ III. The General of the Militias of each region shall have authority over all militias under his jurisdiction and shall, in times of national crises or emergencies, have the authority to uphold the various laws of the Republic, and to maintain order in his region.

§ IV. The General of the Militias may only assume command of his region over local militia leaders by order of the President or the Secretary of War.

§ V. The President may remove and replace Generals of the Militia at his will, and may assume the command of the militias of a certain region personally, but cannot assume command of the militias of multiple regions simultaneously.

§ VI. A changing of the size or scope of regions, and the creation or dissolution of regions, requires an act of the National Assembly and a subsequent majority vote in favor.
Sir, a concerned Californian would like me to ask who will pay for these militias?

Congratulations to Mister Jarvis on his victory and become our great Republic's first ever democratically elected President. May God Bless you.

I, wholeheartedly support Mister Clinton's anti-slavery reform legislation. Let us all band together from every party and vote to end this inhumane practice. God Bless the Republic of California!

Alexander Kingston,
Assemblyman from San Diego

"The proposed legislation will bring under the command of the Generals of the Militia the various government-funded and private militias. This will ensure proper coordination of these different militias under a central authority. Once the crisis has passed, the militias will be disbanded and those mobilized Generals of the Militia shall return to reserve duties. Any private militias brought under his command will subsequently be returned."

Representative Issac Leonard Shaw
of Los Angeles

Badger Billy delivered the following speech to his first employees:

"Here's how it's going to be. This is the worlds smallest rutting navy, but for right now it's also my rutting navy. Now there ain't no press gang here so if you don't like it, there's the door.

One, I'm in charge, I'll hire who I damn well want. Anglos, Spaniards, Negroes, Chinamen, Indians- if a damn 12 year old Tibetan girl shows up who can reef and steer, I'll rutting well rate her able seaman. I'll tell you who I won't be hiring. You won't see no slave labor on my projects. As I see it you get what you pay for, and a slave don't get no pay, so why the hell will he do a good job? Not like the dumb bastard with a whip will know the difference.

2. You do the job, then you get paid. It's that simple. I hire you to do something, it gets done. I buy something, I get the real thing.

You remember those two rules, we'll get along just fine."

William Clark stood once more to address his fellow assemblymen, hoping to establish a starting point for a standing army.

"Gentlemen, the need for a standing army remains, regardless of the decision regarding the militia and its command, and the frontier needs a better and more flexible means of defense than militia of towns and areas. Thus I have another proposal for the Assembly."

Frontier Defense Act

1. A group of 350 men will be trained and equipped by the federal government. This group will be called the California Rangers and will be commanded by a Colonel, separate from the regular army structure, but still under the authority of the Minister of War and the President of the Californian Republic.

2. The California Rangers will operate in the eastern territories to maintain law and order, as well as defend against potential attacks by indians on the frontier.

3. This group will operate primarily as a mounted force to adequately move across the territories and protect as many as it can in a mobile manner.

4. In the event of war between the Californian Republic and a foreign power, the Californian Rangers will be placed in the army command structure to see maximum coordination and use of their abilities.

Official notices from the Naval Department:

* Pierre du Mortier the Second is hereby confirmed in the rank of Commodore, and appointed to lead the effort to establish a naval code of conduct, admiralty court, naval ensign and uniform standards for the Californian Navy
* The official designation for naval vessels shall be R.C.S., Republic of California Ship
* For practical purposes, English shall be the language of use aboard ship. This is pending any resolution regarding an official language. This represents nothing other than the need to avoid having to have orders issued multiple times in different languages.
* Future candidates for officer's commissions will have to pass part of their examination in both English and Spanish.

Official notices from the Naval Department:

* Pierre du Mortier the Second is hereby confirmed in the rank of Commodore, and appointed to lead the effort to establish a naval code of conduct, admiralty court, naval ensign and uniform standards for the Californian Navy
* The official designation for naval vessels shall be R.C.S., Republic of California Ship
* For practical purposes, English shall be the language of use aboard ship. This is pending any resolution regarding an official language. This represents nothing other than the need to avoid having to have orders issued multiple times in different languages.
* Future candidates for officer's commissions will have to pass part of their examination in both English and Spanish.
I think, that at least for now , it will be better to use Spanish as the primary language in the navy, as a higher percentage of the population can understand it.

Fernando Alvares

I hereby declare my opposition to the The Militia Re-organization and Deployment Act. It is a ludicrous proposition that serves to protect no one but instead to give the President a personal army to command. If war does come, such a force will be quickly swept aside, and the Republicans, with their lackluster economic policies, will not be able to pay for the militias in the peace time.

Honorable gentlemen of the National Assembly, yet again President Jarvis refuses to support the security and independence of our Republic, he continues to ensure that, should Santa Anna return in force our small forces of isolated militia will fall quickly before the onslaught and we will again be forced to bow before an oppressive tyrant. He says that the excellent proposal of the Chief Minister will cost too much, I disagree. Indeed I ask each of you this, what is the price of the safety of California? What is the price of independence? What is the price of freedom and justice? The answer is of course simple, they have no price! We simply cannot afford to avoid a standing army, no matter how much our foolish and naive President may wish for it and Mr Sinclair's bill is clearly the best way of ensuring this.

~William Henry Clinton, Member for San Francisco

I agree with my colleague, William Clinton, and also cast my full support towards the Chief Ministers bill. The Republicans are doing the best to avoid the harsh reality that will one day come crashing down on them; without a national bank we cannot have anything that even resembles a standing army, and without a standing army we are doomed.

Considering the recent statements by both the War Minister and the President the dysfunctional nature of the current government is quite clear. While Mr Owings encourages the establishment of a pointless, idealistic and extremely expensive extension of the regular army, President Jarvis refuses to support the establishment of the vitally necessary Californian Army. Indeed it would seem the only common goal of the two men is to establish a force which in no way answers to Congress, Mr Owings through his "California Rangers" and President Jarvis through the co-opting of the proud and courageous Californian militia units. Considering the executive is currently controlled by Mr Owings and Mr Jarvis it becomes therefore clear that they plan to establish a force that answers only to them, the aim of such a force may be clearly ascertained from the actions of such men as Santa Anna in our neighbor to the south. I hope that no Californian will stand aside and allow such an event to occur and I therefore encourage every man to stand against both the "Frontier Defense Act", which will provide no improved defense for the frontier, and the "Militia Re-Organization and Deployment Act", an obvious ploy to co-opt the brave traditions of the Californian militias, of which I myself was a member.

~William Henry Clinton, Member for San Francisco

John M. Menzies, upon his return to urban California, gathers together his group and begins the trek eastward to settle at Corazon. ((Near IRL Farmington, NM)) Upon arrival, the immediate plan is for the group to build basic shelters an begin fishing and small farming operations in order to provide sustenance. After the completion of these structures and operations, Menzies plans to build a town hall and begin opening up the area. To aid in his plans, he has purchased one steam barge, to be used in travelling up and down the San Juan and Colorado Rivers, to aid in the transfer of goods from Corazon to the rest of California.

OOC: IC incoming, just wanted to make sure this got up, since there is some confusion over the forum switch.