• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To Eumenes the Cardian, Satrap of Paphlagonia, Cappedocia and Greater Phrygia

Maybe it was my age, or my trust in the honesty of men that fooled me. I would have never thought a Macedonian strategos would attack in such a cowardly manner another man serving the Kingdom of Macedon. As for Ptolemaios, this has revealed his true intentions. He never was contend with our victory over the Cretan question, and now seeks to expand elsewhere. Both him and Seleukos must be stopped before the very existence of the empire Alexandros has created is at risk.

Considering that despite the sudden back-stab by Ptolemaios, you and Leonnatos have been able to hold firmly in Mesopotamia, I am content to sending reinforcements on your way. New taxeis of pezhetairoi are to be recruited and they will be dispatched to Comana, along with two hipparchias of soon to be recruited cavalry. I will also send a necessary addition to your war chests. May Ares and Nike favor you on the field.

Polyperchon

To Aiakides,
Greetings King. I know that Olympias, mother of Alexander and your cousin, resides in Alexandria-on-the-nile with her grandson and daughter; thus I know that the condemnation of Ptolemy, instigated partially by myself, must be of great concern to you. That is why I write to you now, to clarify my course of action and to set your mind at ease. Know that I hold no ill will to your cousin or those of her blood, as her blood is yours, that of an ally and friend, and she is a Queen of Macedon. Whatever happened between her and my father is their business, not mine, and by all accounts when she left to seek Perdiccas in Babylon she did so on good terms with Antipater; that she spoke for him against the Greeks is evidence of this.

As I lead the armies of Macedonia, it is only to bring justice to those that would abuse the law of the land. Olympias and her kin are victims of this injustice that I seek to right, caught in a situation over which they have no control. I have no doubt that trapped in Egypt as they are, Ptolemy will have worked on their minds, using whatever eastern trickery he can muster to try and corrupt the members of the royal household to his will, to use them as his puppets to expand his own power at the expense of the peace and stability of the wider empire. I can not conceive that any message now sent from Egypt is of their free will or indeed in accordance with their true wishes. This is why we act, to defend the realm and the royal household the embodies it, as you and my father did against the Hellenic rebels.
Godspeed,

GM NOTE: Just a slight reminder.

Deadlines like this:​
1st half of the year war orders: Due 15th 20:59 GMT
2nd half of the year war orders: Due 19th 20:59 GMT
Normal orders: Due 20th 20:59 GMT

((OOC: After some consideration and several days and weeks of being less and less involved in the games on this forum, I have reached the point where I just don't find it particularly enjoyable. Therefore I find myself in need of a break of an unknown duration, and I am therefore withdrawing from this game as Peukestas, and all other games I am part of. I apologize to the GM and the players, but I'm just not able to find the interest and energy to be more involved.))

Lysamakos grimaced as more and more reports from the east came. Now they were declared rebels too yet the war continued.

"Damm i guess is time for me to fight too. Must rally the troopa then. Damn many more will die before the end of this god forsaken war. Messenger relly this message to the troopa to be ready to depart at moments notice. We are finally marching to war"

As he handed the instructions to the messenger he grimaced, how many more would have to die to stabilize things.Many more than now it would seem.

The Phoenician Revolt

The Phoenician revolt, the signs of which became clear soon after the beginning of the war between Ptolemaios and Eumenes, started in earnest in spring. Fed up with the incompetent rule of Laomedon, the trade competition with Alexandria and overall the taxes imposed upon the cities by the Macedonian Satraps, the cities rose up to join their primary benefactors, Polyperchon and Kassandros. The restoration of Tyre had not been forgotten. Led by Tyre the cities started to set up their own armies and built small fleets. The tax collectors of Laomedon and the officers of Ptolemaios could simply watch as the strongly walled Phoenician cities rose up, quickly gaining the support of the whole coast in their revolt. And in the north, Philotas’s army pushed deeper into Syria from Cilicia, threatening the flanks of Ptolemaios.

Kassandros and Polyperchon had decided to join the war. Instead of marching into the battle on the royal road, Kassandros had a far more ambitious plan. The fleet of Macedon, bolstered by various other ships acquisitioned for the campaign, set sail for Rhodos, carrying thousands of troops, horses and other war equipment. From Rhodos he sailed to Cilicia where he set a base for his campaign at Tarsos. Ships continued to sail constantly, bringing more and more men to the area, while the Ptolemaic fleet was patrolling the coasts of Syria and Egypt due to the fear of an attack there.

Together with Philotas, who had crossed the mountains during the winter leaving Leonnatos solely to command Edessa, Kassandros begun to prepare a war plan to link with the Phoenician cities and to capture a large part of Syria while the armies of Ptolemaios were still further East. Kassandros set sail from Tarsos with a contingent of the best soldiers of Macedon, the silvershields and the new veteran phalangitoi regiments. A quick landing and seizure of Antardos allowed the Phoenician cities to press on with their revolt, forcing an army sent by Laomedon from Damascus to retreat in order to face the new invasion. A battle was fought between the army of Kassandros and between Laomedon’s garrisons, bolstered with some of Ptolemaios’s officers, at the gap leading towards Emesa. The handful of locally recruited auxiliaries and few Macedonian levies were no match for the elite argyraspides, phalangitoi and hetairoi. At the Orontes the army sent by Laomedon was defeated, and Kassandros took Emesa and Hamath. Now Philotas’s army crossed over from Cilicia in full, and occupied the Orontes valley for good. The link between Ptolemaios’s army and Damascus and Egypt had been cut. Kassandros purchased supplies from the Phoenicians, and in other ways strived to bolster the good relations created by Antipatros.

With news of the rising crisis reaching Egypt, the Ptolemaic fleet swung into action north along the coast of Phoenicia. A few ships of the Macedonian fleet were captured by surprise and sunk before the fleet could counterattack. Supported by the Cilicians, Rhodians and Phoenicians, Amphotereos was able to lead his navy to victory, though at the loss of several important transports and numerous men. However, the Ptolemaic fleet was forced back to Egypt, and with the full loss of Phoenicia would have trouble rebuilding the lost ships. Kassandros didn’t have that problem. In Cilicia and Macedon new ships were prepared to join him. From Cilicia were also recruited various new levies, from the local barbarian pirates to noble cavalry.

RECRUITMENT
4,000 HI, 2,500 CAV MAKEDON Kassandros, -80k
2,000 LI, 2,000 CAV CILICIA Leonnatos, -40k
50 triremes MACEDON Kassandros, -30k
25 triremes CILICIA Philotas, -15k
Phoenician cities have an army of 4,000 LI

LOSSES

-1,000 HI to Kassandros
-25 triremes to Kassandros
-20 triremes to Ptolemaios
-1,000 LI to Army of Phoenicia (Laomedon)

Last edited:
New players enter the play

The rise of Eumenes to power over most of Asia Mikhra had surely annoyed most. Antigonos still had a huge grudge towards him for the loss of his satrapies, and Menandros aspired to control more land. Thus Antigonos set march for Kelainai, intending to bring back the city under his control. As ships of Kassandros were sailing at the same time past his Satrapy, the whole situation devolved into a rather complicated and messy affair. Soon after Antigonos’ march towards Kelainai, which he put swiftly under siege, Menandros announced his own entry to the war, ordering Asandros to raise his armies and to advance towards Kelainai and other Phrygian cities. Asandros, unlike seemingly Menandros, still was opposed to Antigonos for his betrayal years ago. Thus he resigned from his position as the commander of Menandros’s forces, and fled with loyal officers to the Aegean islands, away from the armies of Menandros and supported and protected by the fleet of Kassandros.

Both Menandros and Antigonos ordered new reinforcements to be recruited. In Lycia local colonists were pressed to join the army, and in Pergamon new regiments of phalangitoi were formed, ready to fight for the faction of Alexandros IV. The officers of Eumenes soon saw their increasingly difficult position, and set up a new defense deeper in Phrygia, awaiting for Pontic and Cappadocian recruits and reinforcements to arrive to bolster them. In north the Bithynians and other tribes loyal to Leonnatos rallied to his banners. The battle for control over the hinterlands of Asia Mikhra was about to begin.

Hearing of the betrayals, Polyperchon ordered the relief force to immediately march via Thrace to Hellespontine Phrygia, in order to support the defense of the lands of Leonnatos and Eumenes. From Larissa they were joined with the army of Lysimakhos, who proclaimed that he would join the fight against the rebels. The joint army was transported across the Hellespont to Illion, in order to attack against Pergamon. However, yet another betrayal happened. Lysimakhos swiftly imprisoned or killed the officers of the relief forces, captured the treasury and made a few of the soldiers to join his army. Then he proceeded to march towards Daskyleion, which was put under siege.

Now three Satraps had outright invaded the lands of Eumenes and Leonnatos. The Royal Road was lost up to Gordion, Illion had fallen and Kelainai and Daskyleion were under siege. The situation seemed desperate. On the other hand, the navies of Macedon would still have utter control over the seas, and with their ships they quickly forced Menandros’s navy to flee to ports, and captured a fair number of the coastal islands and trade ships of the rebellious Satraps. In Macedon itself Polyperchon was preparing the army of Macedon for a war versus Lysimakhos. With total control of the seas by the Pellan fleet, Lysimakhos was now cut off in Asia, with no possibility of return to defend his European possessions.

RECRUITMENT
3,000 LI, 2,000 HI Menandros, -35k
1,000 LI , 3,000 HI Antigonos, -35k
1,000 CAV, 1,000 HI Lysimakhos, 2,000 HI -> 2,000 VI, -35k
2,000 LI, 1,000 HI, 1,000 CAV Lysimakhos in Thrace, -40k
2,000 LI, 2,000 HI, 2,000 CAV Eumenes (Pontos and Paphlagonian tribes), -70k
3,000 LI, 2,000 CAV Leonnatos (Various tribes) , -55k + Bithynian Kingdom enters the war on Leonnatos’s side
LOSSES
Asandros defects from Menandros
-20 triremes Menandros
-2,000 LI Antigonos (Phrygian tribal ambushes and siege)
-2,000 LI Lysimakhos, +1,000 HI, +1,000 CAV, +25,000 drachmae (the capture of the relief army)
No trade income as long as Pella controls the waves.

Menandros khairein Eumenes;

Your betrayal is as surprising as it is uncalled for. You side with traitors the synedrion has cast away from the Macedonian community and intend to fight along with the man who tried to depose you a few years ago. Just as you have just done, he moved against you and broke the royal peace. Back then , you were forced to flee to Daskyleion where Leonnatos gave you shelter, friendship and assistance. And you repay him - repay us as without my help you would never have been where you are - by backstabbing him. This is a most shameful display.

I shall however offer you one chance to make amends. Stand down your troops, help us restore order and you will be forgiven, and will retain your titles. The Egyptian army is trapped in Syria, Thrace is about to fall under royal authority once more, Armenia, Bithynia and other loyal vassals of the King are about to intervene and put an end to this petty land grab. Will your soldiers keep fighting when you won't have silver to pay them and when the whole realm will dismiss them as traitors? There is no hope for this already lost cause. Surrender and you will keep your position. Fail to do so and you will die a traitor's death.

Eutukhei

I had expected the one-eyed to betray me, after all he has always resented me. And Hieronimos just gave me news that he was the one behind the attacks all along. That's not entirely unexpected, to be fair. But to think Menandros, the one we saved and reinstalled as satrap would stab us in the back, that is quite shocking. Well, he'll be dealt with if he means to keep fighting.

db_file_img_93839_690x0.jpg

Πείθων

The following letter is sent to Ptolomaios, Antigonos, Lysimakhos, and Menandros

Dear friends and peers,

I must express my disappointment in the way the events of the last couple years have turned out. A war with a treasonous satrap expanded when Seleukos invaded my lands. However me and my allies defeated him repeatedly. When the regent decided that enough was enough, he sent an army down to finally defeat Seleukos.

Seleukos was never in control of this war, he was never winning this war. I have been ahead of him and defeated him in every contest on the field. He was defeated and retreating.

Until all of you decided to support him. I don't know why. The man is defeated. There is nothing left to him, a mere husk of the power he was. Why you decided to support him, joining in on the losing side of a war, will forever be beyond my comprehension.

I have never had an issue with any of you, nor with Seleukos. However with the Empire torn asunder over such an inane thing, I must express my discontent. The fates of so many decided by something so petty is a joke to the Gods.

Peithon

Polyperchon pleista khairein Eumenes;

The betrayal of most satraps of Lesser Asia is surprising; but not wholly unexpected. For years I have given the court warnings that this could happen, but I understood and still do that you wanted to trust them. They weren't worthy of this trust, but you couldn't know it before they backstabbed you.

The actions of the royal fleet will help us, but as I remain tied in Mesopotamia, it is likely that large parts of my satrapy will come under rebellious control. I need the revenues from these regions to pay my troops, and while I hope Comana won't fall, it cannot be entirely ruled out. I thus need another source of income. At the same time, the traitors count on their own revenues to keep their troops loyal. I thus ask you to seize their properties in Macedon - I know Antigonos notably relies on his Macedonian properties and I believe Menandros, Lysimakhos and perhaps some others have their own land there - and to turn them over to me; or at least to seize them in the King's name and to give me a reliable money supply to pay my troops with. This will weaken them as without trade tolls and their own income their troops probably won't get paid; and this will enable me to keep fighting.

Likewise, I must remind me that my young ward, Krateros, still has to fully enjoy the income of his father's estates. Considering the situation, I believe it would only be righteous if they transferred to him, and if this money was used by me, his guardian, to pay troops to keep him and the realm safe.

Eutukhei

How senile can this man be? He didn't trust me, instead preferred to protect the traitors and now he lets Lysimakhos take control of my reinforcements. I truly hope he will follow my advice from now on.

Last edited:
Third Battle of Arbela

Eumenes, finding himself wintering at a rather threatened position, sent cavalrymen west just after the worst winter months were over. He feared that Ptolemaios might push between himself and Leonnatos. And this fear was indeed true. Ptolemaios was spotted marching along the Euphrates towards his position. He decided that his army wasn’t in a condition to fight the joint army of Seleukos and Ptolemaios, and decided to call a retreat along the royal road. Not wanting Eumenes to escape, Seleukos set march from Arbela in order to still have a chance to catch him and force him to fight, maybe while Eumenes was thinking that Ptolemaios couldn’t arrive in time.

However, as he left Arbela towards the river, a sand cloud was spotted to the east. The Medians and Parthians decided to launch an attack, relying on the surprise and the vast number of chariots and cavalry. Hastily, Seleukos prepared for battle, only a few stadia away from the site of the one against Eumenes. The ground close to the river, as well as the caltrops that had been forged against Eumenes, would prove highly deadly to the charging barbarians. However, the light infantry of Seleukos were easy prey. The phalangitoi on the other hand formed squares that could easily fight off the Median and Parthian cavalry, only taking losses from the regiment of horse archers, the pride of Pharsman’s army.

In the end, just like at Gaugamela, the phalanx and the Macedonian way of war prevail. The cavalry is driven off, chariots abandoned, and even half of Pharsman’s elephants are killed. As the infantry was never able to properly engage, they are saved from the huge losses. The defeat is sour and Atropates and Pharsman call off the attack. The fact that the few cavalry of Seleukos are unable to pursue them alone before they reach the safety of the mountains, likely saves the two armies and their commanders. Seleukos had won a clear victory.

As the eastern threat was checked, Seleukos marched to try to keep up with Eumenes. In vain. He had already marched rapidly up the road, leaving behind a rear garrison of natives at Amida, reaching the safety of his own Satrapy, ready to turn against the traitors in the West – while his eastern frontiers were protected by the mountains and King Mithrenes of Armenia. Seleukos and Ptolemaios in turn proceeded to reconquer northern parts of Mesopotamia, and put Amida under siege.

Seleukos’s army had been reduced smaller than ever before. On the other hand, his Median and Parthian enemies had suffered heavier casualties, and were likely to have to withdraw over the mountains to rebuild armies for at least half – maybe a full – year. Though, the morale boost for Seleukos’s men was massive. Seleukos had with a smaller army defeated a horde of vile barbarians, close to the site of the famous battle of Gaugamela. This victory further solidified the trust of his remaining Macedonians. Seleukos was a worthy heir of Alexandros afterall. Now he would have to keep up the promise of victory. The towns and fields of Babylonia were sufficient to provide him with reinforcements to carry out the war, considering that he was successful at gaining the trust of the locals with the tax cuts. However, a number of the priest class were starting to openly question the alliance with Seleukos, which so far had only brought death to Babylonians. A donation and sacrifice at the grand temples of Babylon might be deemed favorable by them. Wide belief among Babylonians was that the foreigner Seleukos had angered the gods. Meanwhile Pharsman and Atropates regrouped in Media, occupying the mountain passes with tribal levies, effectively sealing off any attempts to march further east. Then they proceeded to rest their men.

In the south, Peithon bid his time, carefully rebuilding his troops while keeping Peukestas cornered at Susa. Arabs, Greek colonists and rowers, Babylonians, Elamites, Persians and various other peoples were recruited to hasty and mixed regiments, which would hopefully be able to excel at least somewhat on the field. Peithon put his trust upon the Macedonian and Greek core of his army, which had seen much blood on the fields. These hardened veterans were determined to follow their Strategos to death. An attempt to get the cities south of Babylon to join him failed, as an attack never came. With Seleukos again recruiting to the north, the priests didn’t want to endanger their position.

The siege of the Gates continued on, with only a number of Greeks defecting away from the officers staunchly loyal to Seleukos. A source of water to the fort was cut, and thus the amount of time they could last under siege was heavily reduced. The dry summer months would be hard for the garrison, and maybe they would be weakened enough to finally fall. In Persis Eudamos continued to levy troops, pushing even deeper into the Oxian Mountains. Finally after many years, Tirazis was put under a proper siege. In Susa, Peukestas continued to slowly gather men, but still not going Madates’s trust for a real offensive to be mounted.

RECRUITMENT

+4,000 LI, +2,000 HI BABYLON Seleukos -40k
+2,000 LI, +1,000 HI, +2,000 CAV ALEXANDRIA SUSIANA Peithon, -20k
+3,000 LI SUSA Peukestas, -15k
+3,000 LI, +2,000 CAV PERSEPOLIS Peithon (Eudamos), -55k

LOSSES
GATES:
-1,000 LI, -1,000 HI Seleukos (Army of Mesopotamia)

ARBELA:

-2,000 LI, -1,000 HI, -1,000 CAV Seleukos (Army of Babylonia)
-2,000 LI, -2,500 CAV, -100 chariots Atropates
-1,000 LI,-1,000 CAV, -50 chariots, -5 elephants Pharsman (Army of Hyrcania)

GM NOTE: Final war orders and all other orders due 20th at 23:59 GMT

Ptolemaios, more interested in shoring his war effort, quietly forwards Peithon's letter to Seleukos.

Πείθων

Peithon was chilling in Alexandria Susiana when it was reported that his allies armies were thrown back at Arbela. To which he simply threw up his hands and continued to go on with life.

Seleukos looked at the letter and gained a small smile.

A letter to Peithon, Ptolomaios, Antigonos, Lysimakhos, Menandros and the rest of the realm
I have read your letter Peithon, and I must express that I understand your disappointment how the events have turned out, for it seem that you must lie to all to cover the sad way you have conducted your war. First you attempt to remove a Satrap, who has been granted the rights to his land by the last conference of Babylon, who had acted reasonable and well for many years before this war. Even before that you attempted to assert your influence over me, as if you where my overlord and liege, and that Pella was not a place to which I was responsible, but solely to you.

You claim to have been ahead during this war, it must be a hard lump to swallow in your throat. First you lose your Satrapy to my men, a Satrapy you and your troops have still not managed to fully retake, afterwards you land in southern Babylonia. Then to simply be beaten back by me, taking battle at Khoaspes, a battle which sadly saw the death of Archon, where I also decisively routed your army, only for you to be granted another chance by Eumenes, who attacked my Satrapies from the north, almost as the war came to an end.

Then forcing me to march north to stop Eumenes, which I did, with hastily prepared defenses, yes Eumenes won the battle in the end, but at what cost, as so many of his men died during the fighting, afterwards he has been forced to retreat back to his own lands again, so quickly after he invaded. And then to come under attack from more of your allies at the third battle of Arbela, them ambushing me, only to be forced back to Media, despite their greater numbers, a clear victory for me and my men, and a bitter defeat in their mouths, a victory worthy of Macedonia, can you claim to have a similar feat? You call me a mere husk, yet I am still winning battles

You said you did not understand how they would support me, well let me make it clear, they are men with foresight and an active interest in maintaining the empire which Alexander the Great built, and maintaining the balance of this empire. You proved yourself against Peithon, son of Agenor in the Indus, but what did you do afterwards, you favoured youself and your friends in the peace negotiations. You tried to assert your influence over me, commanding me like I am your inferior, then trying to remove a satrap, acknowledge by the rest at a conference.

Eumenes, he sold off satrapy to the king of Armenia, his rewards was being appointed Strategos of Mikhra Asia.

It is clear that certain men in the empire care less about its continuation than others, and more about personal glory.

I am happy that you have never had an issue with me, but yet we are at war. I am however sad to see that it has torn the empire up, but an illness can only stay for so long until it festers and becomes rotten. I am surprised that the regent in Pella has let it come this far, to grant so much support to you, when it is clear to so many how far down this empire has gotten. But perhaps it is not too late to still save it. Seeing Alexander’s veterans fight against us is most saddening, men we had been on campaign with, to see Kynane and her daughter be in Pella and yet not object to this sad outcome, for the kings, both Philippos III and Alexander IV great kingdoms to simply fall apart. To see the friends I served with under Perdikkas take up arms against me, it’s truly heartbreaking. If there still are men in Greece, Mikhra Asia, or Persia and the Indus that still wish to fight for this Empire, then let them join us, for clearly, men have been rewarded for selling off pieces of the empire, and install their puppets, and it’s a disgrace.

I ask Kynane and her supports in Pella if she reads this, that I have always been her friend and that it is not too late to have it stop, stop this madness and preserve the empire, before it all falls apart with much greater death than need be.

-Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia and Mesopotamia

A letter to Peukestas
Peukestas

Peukestas, the war has bloodied the east and it is time that this great war, which Peithon began by his attack on you, come to an end. A year ago, you offered your sword and your alligance to me, and I have accepted that. As such I call upon you to march with me against Peithon, to end the war in the east and restore you to your power, for too long have you been away from home, it is time that you return soon, your family deserves to be treated properly again. When we have beaten Peithon, we will return order back to the east, we are in this together now, if we lose, we both die, and if we win, we live to fight another day.

I know that the Oxian king also has desires and demands, and that you are married to his daughter. Thus I ask you to bring me his wishes, if you decide to join us, and speak on his behalf if he trusts you, or come himself if he prefers.

I will look for you near the battle, I hope to see you soon.

-Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia and Mesopotamia

He laid down the pen and handed the messengers to a rider before returning to a map next to Ptolemy. “Alright, we will move through here.”

Πείθων

Peithon sends the following letter to all the satraps, thus starting what is now historically labeled as "The World's First Flame War".

Given the rather vitriolic letter I have received from Seleukos, I feel there is a need to solve this issue once and for all.

Firstly, Peukestas was removed at the behest of the Regency, which is the lawful and rightful arm of the King and the government of the Empire. The next bit is true, as I was simply trying to calm down a rather unfortunate incident that all of you know was both unnecessary and resulted in the continuation of the status quo.

Secondly, Seleukos attacked my lands with neither reason nor planning. Indeed, I did not expect to be attacked by one I thought my ally and friend. The Satrapy is almost entirely under my control, with the only remaining forces being those that Seleukos abandoned on the far side of my lands. The Battle of Khoaspes was of no real note, due to the entrance of Eumenes into the war, as directed by the Regent himself on behalf of the Emperor. While my forces did retreat in an orderly fashion from the field, tactically the loss of forces was equal. This truly shows that I am blessed by Ares, to which I pray to for thanks every night. The rest were not under the control of myself and happened after the writing of the letter in question.

I too wish for an end of this war and the stability of the Empire. However Seleukos continues to deride my abilities as a loyal general. The favoured parties were those attacked by Peithon in his war of aggression and that was the end of any failed schemes Seleukos can think to concoct. For the next line, please refer to the above, wherein I tried to maintain peace in the East during a time of crisis. If all parties were truly interested in peace, we should send representatives to a neutral location to discuss true and lasting peace without the rhetorical nonsense. The Regency represents the Emperor, who leads the Empire. I fight on behalf of this Empire, mightiest ever seen, and will continue until my death.

However Seleukos then divulges in senseless accusations, backed up by nothing more then petty hate for those that fight for the Empire. This need not be the end of days, let there be peace in the East.

P.S. Philoxenus is a wonderful man and you should be ashamed for deriding his name.

Mithrenes khairein Eumenes;

My friend, I require your assistance. Along with this letter, I am sending you 50.000 drachmae as a token of our friendship. Traitors to me and to kingdom have risen up, and with your help I will be able to put them down.

Eutukhei

Alcaeus khairein Eumenes;

As we suspected, more traitors have taken arms. I need you and your men to put an end to their ravaging of my lands. Once this is all over, we will have to discuss your future. There shouldn't be so many leaders in Sinope.

Eutukhei

True friends would help him. Eumenes hoped they were true friends.

GM: As you might have noticed, I have been terribly busy for the recent few weeks. I apologize for this, as it also greatly saddens me that I dont have time to focus on forum games, and especially on GMing this game that had such a great start so far. I will not be able to GM the game in its current form for months or two, due to my work taking far too much time than I had thought.

However, I am planning to keep things going one way or another. I intend to have a skip till the end of this '1st Diadochi War'. Players are asked to send in short guidelines for strategy and goals by Wednesday, and I will then process an update to end the war. After that the game will become more like a nation game, and I should hopefully have enough time to run it. I will judge interest in this by the amount of strategy PMs I receive. Hopefully we can keep this intriguing timeline going on.

The Great Diadochi War
313 BCE – 303 BCE

After the Third Battle of Arbela, Seleukos was forced to relocate briefly to Babylon, in order to rebuild and strengthen his army, and to appease the local elites, in order to avoid a dangerously likely insurrection. Thus he was unable to continue offensives until 312 BCE. On the other hand, Leonnatos, Kassandros and Philotas were still around in Syria and Phoenicia, wanting to wage a battle against Ptolemaios and Laomedon. The road from Egypt to Syria was almost cut, and Ptolemaios was on the wrong side of the Euphrates. Thus he moved back towards Syria, in order to keep his foothold in the region, so that he could support Seleukos in his bid to march towards Susa and Persis. Ptolemaios made his way to the Orontes, where he faced Kassandros, Leonnatos and Philotas. In a long battle, he was ultimately defeated by the veterans of Antipatros, and forced to retreat back to Mesopotamia. Kassandros occupied Damascus, while Leonnatos took Nicephorion. Contact between Syria and Egypt was lost, but not before enough gold and silver had been transited from the treasuries of Seleukos and Laomedon, to fund a new army and navy to defend Egypt.

250px-Agrianian3.jpg

In Asia Minor, the offensive of Antigonos, Menandros and Lysimakhos continued to gain ground. The Phrygian and Bithynian tribals put up a ferocious fight, but Gordion and Daskyleion still fell. Eumenes marched quickly along the Royal Road to Ancyra, where he was ready to face the Antigonid Army. As Asandros was threatening to attack from Halicarnassos, backed up by the Antipatrid fleet, Menandros had to send a detachment there, reducing the advantage of the combined army. With a skilled defense in the mountainous terrain, Eumenes was able to stop the advance, retaining the heartlands of Cappadocia and Paphlagonia as his powerbase. Antigonos moved back to winter quarters. Leonnatos also arrived from Syria, taking up camp with Eumenes at Ancyra. An Armenian army was also dispatched to reinforce them. The Armenian King Mithrenes received gifts and the Persian princess Amastris from Eumenes in return for broad support. The battle for Asia Minor had only seen its first clashes.

Lysimakhos’s mistake of leaving Thrace for the Asian mainland proved to be almost disastrous. Seuthes refused to join him in his war, claiming to be busy with the barbarians. Only a token force was sent south to Larissa. Polyperchon invaded, in turn, defeating the Lysimachid army at Philippi, annexing the colony to Macedon proper. The fleets of Macedon and Leonnatos were enough to keep hold over the Hellespont, and thus Lysimakhos was starting to run out of silver to pay his men, even though he controlled most of the Hellespontine Satrapy. The war would prove to be hard for him. In Larissa, his wife Nikaia, sister of the ruler of Greece and Macedon, Kassandros, was known to gather influence for herself in the absence of her husband.

In 312, Antigonos campaigned along the coast, taking Pamphylia and pushing into Cilicia, killing Philotas in the battle of Tarsos, as nobody was sending troops to aid him, Kassandros being too busy in Syria and Eumenes and Leonnatos in the north. Kassandros used his fleet to launch a campaign to seize control of most Ionian islands and parts of Lydia and Caria from Menandros, installing Asandros as his loyal governor in those areas. Leonnatos attacked Lysimakhos with Eumenes, forcing him to abandon Alexandria Hellespontica and Daskyleion. Revolts broke out in Southern Greece, funded by agents of Ptolemaios, and Polyperchon had to engage them instead of advancing in Thrace. Kassandros continued to expand his foothold in Syria, driving the Satrap Laomedon away, first to Egypt, from where he was able to fleet to Cyprus. He joined Nicocreon of Salamis in building a pro-Ptolemaic faction on the island, while trying to court Antigonos.

TWHOBgN.jpg

Having secured his back, Seleukos marched southwards to face Peithon, joined by parts of the Ptolemaic army. The battle of Alexandria Susiana was a disaster for Peithon, who was forced to flee by ship to Carmania. In the two following years, Seleukos was able to secure most of Susa and Persis, with Persis going to Peukestas, whom he made his Satrap. The Oxioi King Madates also became his subject, though the barbarian retained much freedom. Peithon moved to Media to build a new army, and finished the siege of the Caspian Gate in 310, sending the captives to Bactria or integrating them in his army. Seleukid invasion of Media failed in both 309 and 308, as Atropates stayed loyal to Peithon, and the Peithonid army knew the terrain better. Thus Seleukos gave up further attempts and focused his efforts on the West and on helping Ptolemaios.

Tylos continued to be held by Nearkhos, who fostered Alexandros’s son Heracles there, with his mother Barsine. Nearkhos stayed neutral in the war after the defeat of Peithon, and used his fleet to fight off a Seleukid naval operation in 308. After that he retook Omana and established trade links with India. A number of Greek and Persian colonies were established in the region, but Nearkhos’s rule remained very limited nevertheless.

Between 311 and 309, the war in Asia was mostly locked down in a series of indecisive battles between Eumenes and Antigonos. Eumenes retook Gordion, but failed to reclaim the rest of Phrygia, while Antigonos continued to build up his strength and a navy. Leonnatos perished in 308, in a battle against Lysimkahos outside Illion. For a brief period a civil war was fought in Bithynia, and in the end Pythodoris with the support of Eumenes assumed the kingdom for the son of Leonnatos, after Ziboetes had been poisoned. Bithynia under Pythodoris and Amyntas continued to be an ally of Eumenes, and Eumenes allowed them to annex the Hellespontine Phrygia. The Kingdom quickly became highly Hellenized in turn.

Discontent with his performance in the war against Eumenes, Lysimakhos and Antigonos plotted to have Menandros killed. He was poisoned in 309, but his son Attalus was able to regain control, joining the faction of Eumenes. In turn his lands were invaded by Lysimakhos and Antigonos, whom he fought off with Eumenes and Kassandros’s navy. Kassandros however refused to return the Ionian islands and coastal cities to him, much to his disappointment. However, he continued to support Eumenes nevertheless. The two tried to root Lysimakhos out of Illion in 307, but failed. Mithrenes died in 306, but his son Orontes III stood loyal to Eumenes.

600px-Cassandre_et_Olympia-Jean_Joseph_Taillasson_mg_8223.jpg

An Antigonid-Ptolemaic Fleet was able to cause nuisance to Kassandros, whose position in Syria continued to grow harder and harder. He left in 310, leaving command to Tlepolemos. Problems in Europe required his attention, as Polyperchon had failed to advance in Thrace, and the Epirotes had dethroned Aiakides, and the realm had fallen to civil war between a faction supporting Aiakides’s son Pyrrhos and a faction supporting Olympias and the son of Kleopatra. Neoptolemos II, who had been installed in Molossia. For two years Kassandros campaigned there, finally fighting off the faction in 307, capturing Olympias and Neoptolemos II. Kleopatra, as a wife of Ptolemaios, had stayed behind in Egypt. Kassandros’s brother Pleistarkhos had been executed by the Epirotes under Olympias’s directives, as he was captured earlier in the war. Thus in revenge Kassandros had Olympias executed, while Neoptolemos II was confined in Pella, to be used in negotiations with Ptolemaios.

This triggered a civil war in Greece, as supports of the Antipatrids and the Argeads aligned with Olympias finally faced each other. Kassandros was supported by his brothers, the northern tribes and the former lieutenants of Perdikkas, while Polyperchon, long discontent with Kassandros’s ambitions, joined the other faction. He was most likely bribed by Antigonos and Ptolemaios. Kassandros defeated the rebel army in the north, driving it first to Athens in 306 and then to Corinth, where it received aid by the reformed Antigonid-Ptolemaic Fleet. In Athens Kassandros established a certain Lachares as a tyrant. The event coincided with the attack of Seleukos and Ptolemaios into Syria, as the rebuilt Seleukid Army was able to rout Tlepolemos and the Phoenicians. Instead of waging war with the Phoenicians, Ptolemaios agreed to leave them alone. Officially they remained aligned with Kassandros, but didn’t join the fight any longer. The army of Tlepolemos returned to Rhodos, even though the Ptolemaic and Antigonid Fleets tried to stop it. Heavy casualties were suffered by the fleet of Cassander, and Ptolemaios, now back in Egypt, and Antigonos decided to launch a campaign to first seize Rhodos and then use it as a base to attack Greece.

JfAkhKL.jpg

Under Demetrius, after the event called the Poliorcetes, the joint navy besieged Rhodos from 306 to 304, in vain. The strong walls of Rhodos proved to be too hard to break, but the Macedonian fleet again suffered heavy casualties. This allowed Lysimakhos to return to Thrace, in order to threaten Kassandros. The Pellan garrison led by Alketas however forced him away. The final battle between Eumenes and Antigonos was fought in 305 on the Ipsus in Phrygia. A slight defeat for Eumenes and Attalus confirmed Antigonos new position, with only minimal cessions. Eumenes continued to hold power of the larger part of Asia Minor, but Antigonos gained parts of Phrygia, Caria and Cilicia. Eumenes turned east and in 304 fought off Seleukos outside of Melitene, establishing a peace there too. Antigonos built Stratonikeia, named after his wife, there. Antigonos also declared peace with Kassandros, both left with the territory they held at that moment, as fighting in Caria came to an end.

Kassandros attacked Corinth in 305, killing Polyperchon. His son Alexandros continued to face Kassandros in the region until 303. He was allied closely with Antigonos and Ptolemaios. However, friction happened between Antigonos and Ptolemaios, after Ptolemaios annexed Syria for himself. Laomedon, whose daughter was married to Demetrios, asked Antigonos for help, but Antigonos (wisely) decided to not attack Ptolemaios for such a reason. The alliance however came to an end, and Antigonos established peace with Pella. As a reward for his help, Ptolemaios granted northern Syria to Seleukos, who establishd Apamea there. Cyprus was increasingly dominated, economically and politically, by Nicocreon of Salamis, who was an ally of both Antigonos and Ptolemaios.

While the Greeks fought each other, Rome strengthened in Italy, and Syracuse under Agathocles fought Carthage. For a brief moment, Ophellas, the Ptolemaic governor of the Pentapolis had joined him, declaring himself the Tyrant of Cyrene. The two fought Carthage for many years, until they were defeated. Ophellas in turn was executed by agents of Ptolemaios, who re-established more freedom for the Pentapolis, which remained somewhat aligned with Egypt. Agathocles declared himself King of Sicily in 304, and took Theoxena, daughter of the Antipatrid Berenike as a wife, in order to build relations with the somewhat victorious Kassandros.

BmkLhJL.jpg

By 303, all fighting in Europe ended, as peace or more like a truce, was agreed to by all sides. The questions that had originally started the fighting mostly remaind unaddressed. Of the royals, only Olympias and Kynane (due to natural causes) had perished, as Philip III and Alexandros IV remained as the official kings of Macedon, backed by Kassandros and Ptolemaios respectively. Roxana and Eurydike, however, had little say of the matters. And Nearkhos and Herakles were ignored by quite much everyone. Lysimakhos, who had come close to defeat many times, surprisingly came out of the war with the acquisition of Illion and a few other cities in Asia, but with the loss of Philippi and the Odrysian who declared full independence. A campaign in 305 against them was a total failure, and Lysimakhos had to give his daughter Kassandra in marriage to their new ruler Kotys. In 304 Larissa was renamed Lysimakheia. Attalos remained in Pergamon, and the Bithynians were ruled by Amyntas who now asserted his rule, ready to keep up his father’s legacy among Macedonian and Greek politics. As Antigonos grew older and older, his son Demetrios started to control more of the affairs of state. He was far more liked by the subjects and by the other Diadochi, and thus a sudden new attack, even by Eumenes, was unlikely. Demetrios strengthened the navy and the army, but was also known for his extravagant life style involving numerous concubines and hetairai. He took Eurydike of Athens, widow of the deceased Ophellas as a wife and Lamia of Athens as a hetaera.

Eumenes created a deeper alliance with the Oronitds by marrying one of his daughters, Laodike, to King Orontes III. Eumenes was able to preserve the balance between the tribes, the Persians and the Greek settlers, enjoying his prosperous and well administrated kingdom. He created a number of colonies on the Pontos, and established close ties with the Bosporan Kingdom. His allies in Pergamon and Bithynia helped him secure a wide say in the matters of the Hellenistic World, even though he was located in the periphery. Cyprus was more or less divided between the closer Ptolemaic ally Eunostos and Nicocreon who was more independent, but still a friend of both Antigonos and Ptolemaios.

In the east things had taken a very surprising turn around 308. Pharsman usurped his father’s position, claiming that his father was weakened by diseases and not a strong Parthian horselord. Pharsman resigned from the informal alliance with Peithon, and waged war on the eastern satraps. The few Greek soldiers fled to Bactria or Media, and quickly Persian rule was re-established in Drangiana and Aria, and in Arachosia and Gedrosia. In 305, Pharsman invaded Bactria, but was defeated by the likewise independent Philippos at the river Oxus. Pharsman was content with only claiming Margiana and returned to Parthia. In 304 he declared himself the King of Parthians, Friend of Greeks and the Autocrat, and began minting his own coins at the Greek colony called Phrataphernia. Oxyartes joined him, though remained largely independent in his mountainous realm.

540px-Chandra_Gupta_Maurya_entertains_his_bride_from_Babylon.jpg

Around the same time, the Indian Emperor Sandrokottos invaded the remaining eastern satrapies, fighting for a few years with Pharsman, before being content with the extent of his rule. He concluded a peace treaty with both Pharsman and Seleukos, marrying a Parthian noblewoman and Seleukos’s daughter Apama. Both Seleukos and Pharsman gained a few hundred war elephants and numerous valuables as gifts. Sandrokottos also sent the son of Peithon, Mahendros, as an envoy to Babylon. Media remained split between the part ruled by Atropates and the part ruled by Peithon, even though the two were closely allied. Seleukos attempted one last invasion in 304, before finally making a peace with the two. A strong Macedonian-Median army had been built at Ektabana over the years, with colonies and settlements of veterans dotting the surrounding plain. Though it was obvious that the ambitious man wasn’t yet content with the reach of his rule. However, just like in the west, the war had taken its toll, and for now everyone would have to focus on establishing their rule in their domains. The fact that the Parthians and Armenians had already rebelled made the efforts far harder. In Bactria and Sogdia, Philippos continued to create trade links with the basin to the east of the Imaus, and established numerous new colonies in the region. The area had however lost most contact with rest of the Greeks, which greatly troubled the new rulers of the land of a thousand cities.

Ty3iECT.png

The Hellenistic World in 303 BCE

The important characters

King of Makedonia: Philippos III Arrhidaios
Philippos III Arrhidaios
Played by: NPC
Culture: Makedonian
Family: Son: Philippos (11) Daughter: Eurydike (11) Wife: Eurydike (34) Sisters: Kynane (deceased), Kleopatra (54) Thessalonike (42) Brother: Alexandros the Great of Makedon (deceased)

King of Makedonia: Alexandros IV (At Memphis)
Alexandros IV
Family: Father: Wife: Kleopatra (16) Alexandros Megas (deceased) Mother: Roxana (40) Grandfather: Oxyartes (65)

In Macedon and Greece:
Kassandros
Played by: Harpsichord
Culture: Macedonian
Family: Wife: Thessalonike (42) Sons: Philippos (13), Antipatros (11), Iollas (7) Daughters: Phila (8) Father: Antipatros (deceased) Uncle: Kassandros (deceased) Brothers: Iollas (48) Pleistarkhos (deceased) Philippos (32) Nikanor (28) Alexarchos (26) Triparadeisos (23) Sisters: Phila (49) Eurydike (48) Nikaia (32)

Antipatrid Phrourarch of Pellan Garrison:
Alketas
Played by:
Family: Wife: Berenike (37) Stepson: Magas (17) Stepdaughter: Antigone (19), Theoxena (16, married to Agathocles) Brother: Perdikkas (deceased) Sister: Atalante (50) Niece: Arsinoe (19, daughter of Perdikkas)

Tribe of Taulantii (Under Kassandros)
Tyrant: Glaucias
Glaucias
Culture: Illyrian
Family: Wife: Beroea (39)

Tribe of Paionia (Under Kassandros)
Tyrant: Patraus
Patraus
Culture: Paionian
Family: Wife: Phila (49) Son: Audoleon (27) Daughter: Tryphaena (15) Son: Antipatros (12)

In Peleponnesos (allied with Ptolemaios):
Alexandros
Family: Wife: Kratesipolis (30) Father: Polyperchon (deceased)

King of Epeiros: Pyrrhos
Pyrrhos
Culture: Epirote
Family: Wife: Antigone (19) Father: Aiakides (deceased) Mother: Phthia (42) Sisters: Deidamia (20), Troas (19) Uncle: Alketas (deceased)

In Thrace:
Lysimakhos
Played by: alexander23
Culture: Aeolic
Family: Wife: Nikaia (32) Sons: Alexandros (12) UNNAMED (10), UNNAMED (7) Daughters: Kassandra (16), UNNAMED (9), UNNAMED (8)
Concubine: Macris (27) Bastard Son: Alexandros (11)

Tribe of Odrysae
Tyrant: Seuthes
Seuthes
Kotys: 21
Culture: Thracian
Family: Wife: Kassandra (16) Brothers: Rhebulas (17) Hebryzelmis (13) Teres (10) Father: Seuthes (deceased)

Kingdom of Bithynia
King: Amyntas
Amyntas
Played by: tyriet
Family: Mother: Pythodoris (38) Father: Leonnatos (deceased) Sister: Nike (11)

In Pergamon:
Attalus
Played by: Watercress
Family: Father: Menandros (deceased) Mother: Berenike (56) Sister: Agathe (25)

In Halicarnassos (under Kassandros):
Asandros
Played by:
Family: Brother: Agathon (52) Nephew: Asandros (35)

In Southern Asia Minor:
Antigonos
Played by: Aedan
Family: Wife: Stratonike (71) Sons: Demetrios (34) Philippos (32) Nephews: Ptolemaios (54), Telesphoros (51)
Demetrios: Wives: Laodameia (35), Eurydice of Athens (31) Sons: Antigonos (10), Kyrillos (7), Anatolios (5), Tryphon (3) Daughters: Euphemia (11), Stratonike (9), Helena (6), Galene (2) Hetaira: Lamia (27), Bastards: Many

In Northern Asia Minor:
Eumenes
Played by: Mathrim
Culture: Ionic
Family: Wives: Artonis (55) Mahdokht (37) Eurydike (48) Sons: Archelaos (18) Miltiades (13) UNNAMED (9) Daughters: Laodike (16, married to King Orontes III) Helena (14), Philotera (13), UNNAMED (10), UNNAMED (7)

Polis of Soli (Subject to Egypt)
Tyrant: Eunostos
Eunostos
Played by: Maxwell
Family: Wifes: Phaedra (35), Sons: UNNAMED (9), UNNAMED (5) Daughters: UNNAMED (7), UNNAMED (4) Brother: Nikokles (52) Uncle: Stasanor (deceased)
Culture: Arcadian

Polis of Salamis (Somewhat more independent)
Tyrant: Nicocreon
Nicocreon
Played by: baboush
Family: Son: Teukros (17)
Culture: Arcadian

In Egypt
Ptolemaios
Played by: Revan529
Family: Wives: Artakama (58), Kleopatra (54) Son: Ptolemaios (17) Daughter: Kleopatra (16) Brother: Menelaos (56) Hetaera: Thais (49) Bastard Sons: Lagus (20), Leontiscus (19), Bastard Daughter: Eirene (19)

In Babylonia and Syria
Seleukos
Played by: Sneakyflaps
Family: Wife: Apama (41) Sons: Antiochos (20), Achaeus (10), UNNAMED (7), UNNAMED (5) Daughters: Apama (17, married to Sandrokottos), Phila (9), Laodike (4) Sister: Didymeia (deceased)

Seleukid Satrap of Persia
Peukestas
Played by: Bialaska
Family: Wives: Chryssa (48), Philinna (50), Azaze (49) Sons: Alexandros (24), Demetrios (16) Daughter: Alexia (29), Parysatis (16)

In Greater Media
Peithon
Played by: Dadarian
Family: Sons: Karanos (17), Peithon (7), Eudamos (5) Daughter: Apotheosa (9) Wife: Frenay (42) Brother: Eudamos (56)

In Lesser Media
Atropates
Played by:
Culture: Persian
Family: Daughter: Frenay (42) Son: Bardiya (30)

King of Parthia
King: Phrataphernes
Phrataphernes
Played by: Shynka
Culture: Persian
Family: Father: Phrataphernes (deceased), Wife: Artemisia (40), Sons: Phrataphernes (16), UNNAMED (7), UNNAMED (5) Daughters: UNNAMED (11), UNNAMED (8)

In Paropamisia (Under Parthia)
Oxyartes
Played by: Sealy300
Culture: Bactrian
Family: Wife: Lrohominan (59) Sons: Histanes (41) Oxyartes (38) Bagoas (36) Daughters: Roxana (40) Oxartrinia (38, married to Sandrokottos)

In Bactria and Sogdiana
Philippos
Played by: Noco19
Family: Son: Harpalus (38)
Harpalus: Wife: Atossa (33), Sons: UNNAMED (9), UNNAMED (7), UNNAMED (3) Daughters: UNNAMED (11), UNNAMED (5)

In Tylos:
Nearkhos
Culture: Doric
Family: Wife: Phaidyme (45) Son: Lagoras (10)

GM NOTE: IT IS ALIVE. Please IC and fill in any gaps you want addressed (consult with me, if necessary), and also prepare for a new stat and game change. This will be more of a nation game from now on, I’d assume. New stats will be done during this week.

Last edited:
((Is it time for a marauding horde of Celts to come and kill everyone yet? Because if so dibs on that.))