• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Juliebiro

Sergeant
2 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Hi,

I have recently tried to re-install EUII, FTG, AoD and DH on my previous comp and then on my new one when I bought it. Both computers have W10 with AMD graphics card and recent drivers. Then, yes, that was very very difficult to have everything working but it seems to be ok now. Czudak's statement proved to be priceless, but I would like to add something. Even when I did what he said, I still had problems. Game could launch at once, and when you try the day after, it may not launch. I discovered that if I change the file T-fighter a-fire c-ali l-1 d-se.bmp, which is the third in size in the bmp directory, it's ok. The number of frames is quite high but the width (8100 octets) should not be a problem; however, it was not ok before and was ok after (I did it several times). It really depends on your OS / AMD card / drivers, I think the situation is different for each player.
Also, at least for DH, or in order to have CORE mod working with AoD, I had to edit the register to change the data for the layers:

Ordinateur\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

C:\Games\Arsenal of Democracy\aodgame.exe (or whatever this entry is in your case)
$ DWM8And16BitMitigation WINXPSP3 Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Darkest Hour A HOI Game\Darkest Hour.exe (or whatever this entry is in your case)
$ DWM8And16BitMitigation WINXPSP3 Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation

Hope it helps somebody some day

Upvote 0
I'd like to add that Win10 actually has Directplay drivers disabled by default. You can activate the legacy directplay libraries from Win10's control panel and get the same effect as this registry key for all programs without detrimental effect. Microsoft has really gone down hill since Gates left.

I'd like to add that Win10 actually has Directplay drivers disabled by default. You can activate the legacy directplay libraries from Win10's control panel and get the same effect as this registry key for all programs without detrimental effect. Microsoft has really gone down hill since Gates left.

Thank you very much ! Some people will probably not know how to do what you suggest; I give hereafter detailed explanation:

Click on the start menu
Click on the small gear named Parameters, just above the On/Off button
Click on Programs
Go to the end of the page after your list of games, you have "Linked Parameters"
Click on "Programs and features"
On the left of the new panel you have a shield
Click on "Activate or Deactivate Windows features"
Go to Legacy Components click on the + in order to expand the submenu
Tick the button Direct Play
It will take a while when Windows looks for the files and install them, but it should be ok without any problem