Feudal Society civic even less useful in 2.6?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Red Death

Colonel
68 Badges
Apr 19, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
EDIT: The apparant change didn't actually happen, Eladrin clarified the civic still functions the same, but the tooltip changed for unknown reasons.

In the most recent stream, I managed to spot the description of the Feudal Society civic.

It now only mentions the " −50% Subject power penalty", not the " Subjects can build new starbases" effect.

Either vassals can now build starbases by default, or there is no way to let your vassals expand on their own now. I suppose in either case, the Feudal Society civic is worth even less than before. With improved AI, perhaps vassals themselves will become more useful. However, the decreased subject power penalty hardly matters anyway, so you could play a vassal-focussed empire without taking this civic quite easily.

I do hope this just means all vassals can expand though, otherwise taking early vassals became a lot more boring.

Last edited:
Another straight-up buff to the player that's only available if you pay for the DLC.

I mean, yeah, that's the point of DLC, you can do more things. Also, a player-buff isn't really useful against AI, you can decrease difficulty if you want and in multiplayer, everybody have the same DLC so I don't get the issues with that.

In the most recent stream, I managed to spot the description of the Feudal Society civic.

It now only mentions the " −50% Subject power penalty", not the " Subjects can build new starbases" effect.

Either vassals can now build starbases by default, or there is no way to let your vassals expand on their own now. I suppose in either case, the Feudal Society civic is worth even less than before. With improved AI, perhaps vassals themselves will become more useful. However, the decreased subject power penalty hardly matters anyway, so you could play a vassal-focussed empire without taking this civic quite easily.

I do hope this just means all vassals can expand though, otherwise taking early vassals became a lot more boring.
Yeah, I really hope vassals are more useful. Otherwise what are they thinking?!

Another straight-up buff to the player that's only available if you pay for the DLC.

To be fair, Feudal Society wasn't usable before either, so I'm not sure I'd classify Federations as a "Straight up buff" Even without the DLC you could still form a Federation. and it's not like the DLC has made Feudal Society any less useful(objectively it has, but going from useless to more useless is still useless from a play perspective). Zero use is still zero use.

imo the hygemony federation completely kills this civic off. It'll be the main way to play with "Vassals" until(if) actual vassals ever get a rework..
Interestingly, there is a federation law for allowing subjects to join as members. So, perhaps it's possible to combine the two?

Why just have a hegemony when you can have a hegemony where almost everyone is a vassal or tributary? Perhaps subjects are more likely to support you in federation votes? I'm pretty sure that's how it works in the galactic council.

Maybe the Feudal Society civic could give you the CB that forces people to join your hegemony? So you could start one with unwilling participants?

Interestingly, there is a federation law for allowing subjects to join as members. So, perhaps it's possible to combine the two?

Why just have a hegemony when you can have a hegemony where almost everyone is a vassal or tributary? Perhaps subjects are more likely to support you in federation votes? I'm pretty sure that's how it works in the galactic council.

Currently they don't have AI buff from difficulty level, so if it's still the same, and I hope not, they will lose it by being your vassal, making them as crap as they are now.
The point with Hegemony is that they may be not that bad.

To be fair, Feudal Society wasn't usable before either, so I'm not sure I'd classify Federations as a "Straight up buff" Even without the DLC you could still form a Federation. and it's not like the DLC has made Feudal Society any less useful(objectively it has, but going from useless to more useless is still useless from a play perspective). Zero use is still zero use.
Hegemonies are what players have always wanted federations to be: a subservient cloud of client states that the player can easily direct against their enemies. The entire vision of federations was initially as a counterbalance against a snowballing empire (let's be honest: a player) and therefore were designed in a way that made them very strong but irritating if you had, say, one very powerful member trying to use the federation as a subservient cloud of client states to direct against their enemies. They watered that down a lot, and now for a small fee the federation can be what you always wanted it to be: a little more mass for your snowball.

That's already a feature of Hegemonies.
I know it is. I was saying that Feudal Society could unlock it for empires that aren't a part of a hegemony as an alternate way of forming one.

imo the hygemony federation completely kills this civic off. It'll be the main way to play with "Vassals" until(if) actual vassals ever get a rework..

It sucks though that hegemony requires autocracy. It shouldn't be a requirement for playing imperialists. Imho only non xenophobic egalitarians should rule it out.

Perhaps the civic could be boosted to enable hegemony without the necessary ethic.

Currently they don't have AI buff from difficulty level, so if it's still the same, and I hope not, they will lose it by being your vassal, making them as crap as they are now.
The point with Hegemony is that they may be not that bad.
Hmmm, with the improved AI, let's hope they will at least not completely collapse like they did before.

Subjects of a Feudal Society can still expand. We haven't made any changes to it (yet). Not entirely sure why the tooltip changed, will look into it.
Are you able to disclose any changes you guys do want to make?