• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's a little like it if you mean in terms of flavor. If you mean as a fantasy themed 4x, then yes, it's like FFH2.

Warlock is set in Ardania, which is a different world, and the world of FFH2 is a big part of what makes that game what it is.

If I remember right, one of the developers got lured over from the Civ 5 team to help with EWOM. I want to say that person was related to FFH2. It might even be Kael himself. Sorry delete that, wrong game. I'm thinking about Elemental War on Magic and Elemental Fallen Enchantress.

Aside from the obvious, no not so much. The gameplay is pretty far apart I'd say, mainly because of 1upt and a totally unique city system. There's also no tech research, or research trees of any kind actually (can research magic but it's random, not tree based). Warlock is a lot lighter on the whole empire thing and much more about magic, combat and units.

Oh and no we can't link it, it's against the forum rules apparently.

Kael and Jon Schaefer are both working on E:FE, which is why that game has gotten so much better. But I prefer the look and feel of Warlock already. It's so much cleaner and easier on the eyes.

Not to mention, it's got some funny elements too.

They're similar in that they're fantasy-themed 4X games. But most everything else is completely different.

This game is a blast, but FFH is a much deeper experience overall in my estimation. Better lore/story backdrop for the world....damn near everything has a story, down to the buildings. Far more involved research and city/empire-building strategy. Religion and economy too.

In its own defense though, Warlock is much, much prettier and so far the combat has been much more enjoyable- in a few situations requiring some actual strategy beyond bringing the largest doomstack to the fight, which has been neat to see. If every faction didn't have the ability to build everyone else's cities and units, and if each faction had hero units you could romp around with, Warlock would be much closer to the winner of that comparison.

Not really, Fall From Heaven is pretty close to Civ. It just has fantasy themed tech trees and units. This game doesn't really have the long tech trees. Your research buys you spells and units come form a reasonably simple building tree. Individual units also feel more valuable than units in civ.

Is this game anything like the FFH2 mod from civ IV?

I would say "not really", they both are 4x strategy games, but this seems like it was made for "its" own world from the ground up, as opposed to being a mod. It also plays like a 4x, but I would say the graphics and atmosphere blow Fall From Heaven 2 away, though the gameplay of Civ 4 is much more refined and this one feels raw (or young would probably be a better way to say it).

I could see a lot of places where small improvements or differences, like "schools" of magic or more details such as tile movement cost, could make the game nothing but better, but overall I could not stop playing for about 3 hours literally after I only started a game to see the extra DLC guys I got as a perk for pre-ordering. It is a game with that kind of effect, at least to me it did.

There are similarities and differences too. But I'd say: if you liked Fall from Heaven, then you will love Warlock even more.

An advantage in Warlock is: the AI might not be exceptionally brilliant, but it really knows how to use magic and in fact uses it against you.

Overall Warlock seems to be a more warlike game than Civ5.

Is there a link for people who don't know every Civ IV mod by heart?

Ah, snark in the morning. Love it. Here are your links:

* Again - links to other forums are not permitted. Please re-read the forum rules *

Here

Each is the successor to what went before. Arguably MoM is the best of the lot, and it certainly has the best AI rules set for intelligent development. It's also the only one still active, with new patches popping up from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played a bit of Orbis, and Rise From Erebus back in the days (both are nice mod-mods expanding FFH2 in different directions), but I wasn't aware of Master of Mana, will definitely try it, thanks :)

Anyone have a good breakdown of the differences between the FfH mod-mods? Wasn't there also another FfH mod? Like a sequel or prequel or something? I played a little of the base mod, but I remember being annoyed by some elements. I'd be down for jumping back in, but I really don't know where to start off. I guess Master of Mana could work, but I just really don't know how it compares to anything else connected to FfH. Also, the website isn't terribly helpful....

Anyone have a good breakdown of the differences between the FfH mod-mods? Wasn't there also another FfH mod? Like a sequel or prequel or something? I played a little of the base mod, but I remember being annoyed by some elements. I'd be down for jumping back in, but I really don't know where to start off. I guess Master of Mana could work, but I just really don't know how it compares to anything else connected to FfH. Also, the website isn't terribly helpful....

I can tell you this much: Master of Mana actually gets the enemy AIs to work well with their city and unit building. This was always a problem with FFH and FFH2: the ideas were great, but the AI might build all farms, for example, or never touch magic when it was playing a primary magic user. You'd have to play FFH2 on a pretty difficult level to get an adequate challenge, once past the learning phase. MoM, on the other hand, really does this quite well even when the human player is on a lower level. It doesn't cheat. It just uses its options very efficiently.

I can tell you this much: Master of Mana actually gets the enemy AIs to work well with their city and unit building. This was always a problem with FFH and FFH2: the ideas were great, but the AI might build all farms, for example, or never touch magic when it was playing a primary magic user. You'd have to play FFH2 on a pretty difficult level to get an adequate challenge, once past the learning phase. MoM, on the other hand, really does this quite well even when the human player is on a lower level. It doesn't cheat. It just uses its options very efficiently.

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I have a feeling I'll need a break from Warlock soon. I've already played it through several times.. on top of the several times I already ran through the demo.