• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fair enough :) . Hopefully we get a submod of this converter to make 100 AD start more immersive. What do you plan to do after you finish the converter by your standards? :)
Not sure. Depends on how much time I will have left until Imperator: Rome at that point. Might add some mod compatibility.

I doubt I (or many other people for that matter) will have that much drive to continue working on this program when I:R hits, if that is what you were asking.

So, here is Version 1.2!

Changes:
- Culture shift events and decisions that split many of the more generic EU:Rome cultures and can lead to the resurfacing of most standart CK2 cultures
- Temporary name changes for those CK2 kingdoms that might be anarchronistic in a converted game (England, Serbia)
- Countless new cultural title names for EU:R cultures
- It is now possible to pick a startdate before conversion. Years between 100 and 1400 are available. Chracters born before or only few years after the new year 0 are not converted.
- Fixed a bug that made the converter silently crash when used in a folder that had a period in its directory line.

This sounds great but how do I download it? The first post says "download by clicking on the link at the bottom of this post" but that link just takes me back to the top of this thread!

So if I understand correctly this converter allows me to start a game of CK2 at 100AD using a converted Rome save file. Rome itself ends in 1AD, in the vanilla version, yes? So we only skip over a single century, which is great. If there's a Rome mod that allows extended play by modding dates I'm happy to test it with this converter, it would be nice to play right through.

Many thanks for your work, I'm looking forward to trying it!

This sounds great but how do I download it? The first post says "download by clicking on the link at the bottom of this post" but that link just takes me back to the top of this thread!

So if I understand correctly this converter allows me to start a game of CK2 at 100AD using a converted Rome save file. Rome itself ends in 1AD, in the vanilla version, yes? So we only skip over a single century, which is great. If there's a Rome mod that allows extended play by modding dates I'm happy to test it with this converter, it would be nice to play right through.

Many thanks for your work, I'm looking forward to trying it!
I think you're clicking the link in OP's signature. Try clicking the attached file:
upload_2018-10-15_11-58-1.png

Thank you for your interest!
Your assumptions regarding the converter are correct.
I doubt there is a timeline-expanding mod for EU:Rome since it is so easy to do that most modders won't bother.
Just change the second line in the "Europa Universalis Rome\common\defines.txt" file!
If you want to play multiplayer again later you'll need to change it back though, so I recommend you make a copy before.

Anyway, have fun with the converter!
Please let me know how it worked out for you.
The custom start date feature is pretty new, so I am very interested in bug reports and feedback.

Thank you Glanzor, that's good to know. Any tips on what makes a good nation for an interesting handover to CK2? I have of course played through as Rome and built a colossal empire (which would quickly disintegrate in CK2!), and I've also played through as Aedui and formed Gaul, successfully bottling the Romans up in Italy, though sadly I've lost that savegame. Ideally I'd like to start out as a small one-province tribe, like Pictii or Iceni, but their civ levels are too low to colonise and the tribes are too in love with each other for early conquest. I guess I should go browse some AARs.

I had the most fun with the Rhoxolani. Close enough to civilization that building your empire up is feasible without to much sitting around waiting for the civilization level to tick up but also far off enough that you can get a lot of milage out of colonization. Other caucasian nations might be interesting as well.

Other than that you don't have to play the same nation after convertion as you did before and I usually don't.
I had some interesting games as Seleucid vasalls for example.

You can build an empire in EU:Rome and than bring it down from the inside in CK2.

I had the most fun with the Rhoxolani. Close enough to civilization that building your empire up is feasible without to much sitting around waiting for the civilization level to tick up but also far off enough that you can get a lot of milage out of colonization. Other caucasian nations might be interesting as well.
So I went with Illyria and I'm enjoying it so far. Got Paeonia on the second attempt, and haven't yet engaged Rome. Thanks for the tips!

Hey buddy! Any update?

Sorry for the long silence, life has been busy for me the last few months.
But I have taken lots of vacation for the holidays now.

I'm currently working on a patch to make the converter compatible with version 3.01 of CK2.
Hoping I can get that uploaded here in early January.

I also already did some work on the grand religious update I have been promising for so long.
Hopefully I can get that out before Imperator gets released.
Contrary to what I said earlier this year however I now think I will probably keep working on the converter even after that game is out.

Alright, here is version 1.3.

Changes:
- updated province mappings for CK2-version 3.0+
- egyptian now converts to coptic
- moved numidian to the punic culture group
- changed the cultural/alternative names of some titles to work better with new titles added with 3.0
- the papal states now longer have any de iure land at game start
- added culture shift events and decision to form the new cultures carantanian, dalmatian, bosnian and arberian
- semitic paganism is now reformable (to mirrow the recent change to hellenism)
- added the converter's custom kingdoms to de iure empires to prevent provinces from entering a de iure empire-less void when shifting into them
- fixed some localization and interface issues with the events and decisions added with the last converter update

As always, if you find any issues or other noteworthy things, please let me know!

Last edited:
I was in this thread when the converter first popped up and I'd like to say I'm using it once again for an EU:ROME game, thank you so much for an awesome converter. :)

In my last game I started during the First Punic War and Carthage won! Rome no longer exists and I can't wait to see this develop in CK2.

If I buy EU Rome does this essentially act as a full conversation CK2 mod to that time period in Europe?
Basically yes. Except it uses your EU:Rome save as a reference point rather than the historical time period of course.

I was in this thread when the converter first popped up and I'd like to say I'm using it once again for an EU:ROME game, thank you so much for an awesome converter. :)

In my last game I started during the First Punic War and Carthage won! Rome no longer exists and I can't wait to see this develop in CK2.
Interesting! This is something I wanted to try out for myself as well since Cartharge never seems to get very far after conversion.
Let me know how it works out.

Might I suggest some improvements?

1) Would it be possible to revert CK2 Christian/Muslim provinces that are "off-map" for Rome to appropriate Pagan ones?

Catholic Iceland being instead converted to Germanic, Muslim/Christian provinces converting to African in Africa, Semitic/Tengri(?) in Arabia and Zoroastrian in West/Central Asia and so on.

2) Would it be possible to have provincial development reflected in the import?

For example convert the Rome population into CK2 provincial holdings. Every every 50 Rome population over 50 would get another holding (or in the case of tribals an empty holding slot as empty holdings benefit tribals). So a province with 100 population would get its capital of appropriate type for the government (castle for monarchy, etc) as well as an extra holding.

You could follow the "one of each" CK2 rule and have the first extra holding a temple (this would apply to tribals too) next a city next a castle (empty for both for tribals) and so on.

The buildings system in Rome is a bit too flimsy to be indicative of provincial development.

While on the subject of buildings, might I recommend all holdings all over the CK2 world start with no buildings built? So provincial power would be dictated in the beginning by population (holdings) which are then built up over time.

Thank you.

1) Would it be possible to revert CK2 Christian/Muslim provinces that are "off-map" for Rome to appropriate Pagan ones?

Catholic Iceland being instead converted to Germanic, Muslim/Christian provinces converting to African in Africa, Semitic/Tengri(?) in Arabia and Zoroastrian in West/Central Asia and so on.
Yes. I have already done that in my current internal build of the converter.
The plan is to have the game start out strictly pagan/jewish/zoro and then have Christianity and Islam added later through events.

2) Would it be possible to have provincial development reflected in the import?

For example convert the Rome population into CK2 provincial holdings. Every every 50 Rome population over 50 would get another holding (or in the case of tribals an empty holding slot as empty holdings benefit tribals). So a province with 100 population would get its capital of appropriate type for the government (castle for monarchy, etc) as well as an extra holding.

You could follow the "one of each" CK2 rule and have the first extra holding a temple (this would apply to tribals too) next a city next a castle (empty for both for tribals) and so on.

The buildings system in Rome is a bit too flimsy to be indicative of provincial development.

While on the subject of buildings, might I recommend all holdings all over the CK2 world start with no buildings built? So provincial power would be dictated in the beginning by population (holdings) which are then built up over time.

Interesting suggestion. So far I haven't put much thought into development.
I have to look into it some more to see if that idea is feasible for me.

Actually, come to think of it, it's probably better if Tribal Realms do not receive any Temple Holdings in CK2 in order to prevent Pagan Reformation from happening too easily.