• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 8th of September 2016

Good afternoon all. It's Thursday meaning that we are due a development diary for the upcoming EU4 expansion: Rights of Man.

Last week we gorged on five new features: Disinherit, Strengthen Government, Prussian Monarchy, Debase Currency and Abandon Personal Union. Today we'll be taking a light snack with just one, which is in no way related to me being busy with moving home at the moment.

Late game you could well have fought against or even played as a Revolutionary Republic. In the 1792 Start date you can enjoy spreading the revolution as France but mechanically any European nation can get into the mood for it. As part of the Rights of Man expansion, these Revolutionary Republics will have access to their own Revolutionary Republican Factions system, akin to Ming or Merchant Republics.

eu4_12.png

Three factions will wrestle for influence in your nation, which you can boost using ADM, DIP and MIL points.

Jacobins cost ADM to boost and gain influence from Republican Tradition being high. When they are the leading faction they have the following effects:

Global Unrest -2
Build Cost -15%
National Tax +15%
Diplomatic Reputation -2

Imperialists cost DIP to boost. If their influence is high and republican tradition is below 40 then they can seize control to turn your nation into a Revolutionary Empire.

Diplomatic Reputation +1
State Maintenance Cost -25%
Subject Liberty Desire -20
Republican Tradition -0.5 per year

Girondists cost MIL to boost. They want to bring the revolution to other nations. They gain influence from being at war and lose it from being at peace.

Land Forcelimit +20%
Manpower Recovery +20%
Discipline +5%
Aggressive Expansion Impact +20%

So essentially you have your stabilizing faction, your empire building faction and your warring faction. Balance their effects and bonuses to either spread the empire far and wide or consolidate your holdings. If you allow yourself to "stabilize" into a revolutionary Empire, you will leave the faction system and return to a monarchy, albeit the best* monarchy in the game.

As is often the case, there are new events to coincide with them, usually affecting the influence of your factions.

eu4_14.png

Revolutionary Republic Factions will be a paid feature in the upcoming Rights of Man expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 Prussia Patch on 11th October 2016.

If you thirst for more (and why wouldn't you?) perhaps I can interest you in checking out the feature stream for Rights of Man with myself and Johan

*Not counting Hordes, of course.

Reactions:
YES!

I hope the Tag modifiers and awesome governemnt stats are still there, if so I might have to redo my beloved Revolutionary Golden Horde Run

Also the worst thing that has ever happened to me as a Revolutionary republic as as italy having france steal the tag from me some how after I got the rev republic tag first

Last edited:
Reactions:
Are they more likely to pop up (particularly earlier) now?
I've never actually seen a revolutionary country in game before, although I have only played 1 game right through to 1821 so far.

Reactions:
Maybe make it possible to have revolutionary republic appear 50 years or more earlier in the game so more people will be able to experience this interesting feature :p

Reactions:
Is it just me or the imperial eagle has a baguette under it's foot?

Reactions:
Reactions:
Not sure why I have a sudden urge to sing some revolutionary songs... ;)

Although I must say that the factions seem to be France-specific, given the names and icons. Is this intended, or will there be cultural or national variations?

As a sidenote a mistake snuck into the diary, with "Royalists" rather than "Imperialists".

Reactions:
Disappointing Dev Diary, especially after having to wait longer than usual. This is nothing new, why is it even part of the paid features? They even say it's just like Ming or Merchant Repiblic factions.

On the other hand, some sort of revolutionary HRE mechanic would be awesome. Something to portray the transnational spirit of the revolution, where spreading the revolution to other countries earns you something like manpower or money (these are just generic examples). But the idea is that you have to keep spreading revolutionary fire, because doing nothing will make you lose these bonuses. Perfect reflection of something as fleeting as revolution.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Disappointing Dev Diary, especially after having to wait longer than usual. This is nothing new, why is it even part of the paid features?

Because it is absolutely non essential, and will probably not be built upon as a major expansion in the future? You know what they have always donne for paid features.

Reactions:
Like Merchant Republic, we will miss estates which give enormous benefit for the country when we play as Revolutionary Republic. So we will just boost Royalist and make Revolutionary Empire like Napoleon did- if 1.18 provides much better gameplay which makes us play until the era of revolution, such as nerfing late game forts.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is SUPER dumb this should NOT be a paid feature, I can literally mod the exact same factions into the game.
I don't think anyone is going to buy the DLC for this particular reason either so I honestly don't see the point, but whatever is not my company lol

Reactions:
Those bonuses aren't too enticing, especially since you're giving up estates at the same time, which have good benefits and less drawbacks.

Reactions: