• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 7th April 2016

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all support and dedication to the game, and its great to see 1.16 & Mare Nostrum breaking popularity records. There were a few issues that cropped up, that we are fixing or changing for a 1.16.2 patch, which will be released as soon as its ready. I hope tomorrow,...

This is the current changelog, and we're working on a CTD, and a Multiplayer OOS.

Corruption
- Updated corruption tooltip to show what actually effects it.
- Easy Difficulty now reduces your corruption dramatically.
- Root Out Corruption is now based on your development, not your income.
- Halved frequency of good and bad corruption events.

Achievements
- Updated Luck of the Irish achievement to account for 4 new Irish tags
- New Achievements updated to block custom nations

Unconditionally Surrender
- If war leader Unconditionally Surrenders, their allies no longer do so too.
- If an Overlord Unconditionally Surrenders, their Subjects now do so too.

Merchant Republics
- Merchant Republics are now limited by provinces in states, not total amount of provinces.
- Merchant Republics no longer want to become a Free City.

States & Territories
- Fixed: States couldn't be formed if there was a colony in the area.
- Empty State/Territories will not linger after loading savegames.

AI Tweaks

- Fixed some unlikely reasons for AI getting stuck and never cancelling condotieri.
- AI will go a bit easier on guarantees of countries that it wants to conquer or ally.
- Tweak to gifts/subsidies to reduce long range spam.
- AI should no more be willing to hire condottieri to fight some future rebellion (only serious present rebellions now count).

Misc Bugfixes
- Fixed wrong unit colors for a number of countries (e.g. Aragon).
- Fixed only Muscovite countries being able to form Russia.
- Fixed Hokkaido Strait
- Fixed saves sometimes not loading correctly after using Hunt Naval Mission.
- You can no longer detach mercenaries from a hired out Condottieri unit.

Misc Complaints Adressed

- When mothballing a fleet, sailors no longer needed are now returned to the country's sailor pool (up to max sailors).
- Removed Regicide Event
- Removed historical neutrality between Portugal and Aragon
- Fixed Threaten War could be used during Regency.
- Central African Event 15 will no longer spam the player by triggering every other month or so.

Reactions:
Its nice do see that you guys are reading and fixing the problems that the various posts on the forums have talked about and im sure that in a few weeks most problems will have gone away.
Thanks paradox!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
- Fixed Threaten War could be used during Regency.

Wow. Yeah, that seems exploitable. If the game-masters in Stockholm want to give regencies the ability to declare war, they should do it. Inversely, if they don't want regencies to have the ability declare war, so be it. In either case, an exploit loophole is bad design.

This should help with scaling.

Thanks for the patch support :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Merchant Republics
- Merchant Republics are now limited by provinces in states, not total amount of provinces.
- Merchant Republics no longer want to become a Free City.

Why was the hard and punishing province limit kept at all rather than the numerous suggestions to instead reduce the states available to MR?

Reactions:

With the way development now yields diminishing returns once you run out of states, this could severely impact blobbing starting from the mid game to the point where it becomes impossible to core land without using vassals. It does make money ideas a bit more attractive though, which is a good thing.

Anyway I'm glad you guys are open to tweaking corruption, let's see how this plays out.

Reactions:
That is a massive balance change. Like quite possibly the biggest balance shifter that has ever occurred in a post-DLC patch release.

I think the tall players crowd will be extremely happy with this one.

Reactions:
Why was the hard and punishing province limit kept at all rather than the numerous suggestions to instead reduce the states available to MR?

This would go against the way they want you to play MRs I think (aka only taking centers of trade and very high value provinces which are spread out across a lot of areas).

Reactions:
That is a massive balance change. Like quite possibly the biggest balance shifter that has ever occurred in a post-DLC patch release.

I think the tall players crowd will be extremely happy with this one.

It could go either way, but yeah, the 'tall players' will be happy with it. We'll need to see how it plays out in regards to wide players though; I feel like there's a point where your state count won't keep up with your development speed and thus you'll hit points where your development count outscales your ability to put down your corruption due to inability to generate enough money from your increase in development.

Which, I mean, might be a good thing in the very long run, but in the current state of the game I refuse to believe that's a good thing since this game isn't exactly interesting or enjoyable to play if you're not blobbing.

Reactions:
@Johan i have a CTD problem that happens since 1.14 i think. error mesage says; "display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered" and only EUIV causes this error message since 1.14 wass out ...

It could go either way, but yeah, the 'tall players' will be happy with it. We'll need to see how it plays out in regards to wide players though; I feel like there's a point where your state count won't keep up with your development speed and thus you'll hit points where your development count outscales your ability to put down your corruption due to inability to generate enough money from your increase in development.

Which, I mean, might be a good thing in the very long run, but in the current state of the game I refuse to believe that's a good thing since this game isn't exactly interesting or enjoyable to play if you're not blobbing.
I'm just more shocked that something like this comes out in the day after the patch. Its such a change on a fundamental level.

Reactions:
This would go against the way they want you to play MRs I think (aka only taking centers of trade and very high value provinces which are spread out across a lot of areas).
Yeah, that'd be my guess, too. Plus the fact that 20 has always been the magic number for the decision to form a Merchant Republic by decision.

But the 20 number isn't a hard cap, at all. Going over just starts to make your RT tank faster. There might be scenarios whereby one could go over a bit, if only for a short while.

@Johan i have a CTD problem that happens since 1.14 i think. error mesage says; "display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered" and only EUIV causes this error message since 1.14 wass out ...
I've received that message when I've started to have hardware issues. Once was a graphics card. Another time was a RAM stick. Also seemed EU4 specific for me, at first. Perhaps EU4 is just more demanding on your system than other applications.

I wonder what is the exact limit now, is it still 20? and I still think that it would be more reasonable to instead cut the number of states for a MR, but anyway thanks for this change - this seems to make more sense now, at least to me.

Last edited:
Reactions:
There's a bug where light ships does not generate trade power in some nodes (for example Japan in Beijing trade node) and this goes for both Privateers and Protect trade missions.

Is this supposed to happen?

The problem is that you can't pick selectively center of trades to become Part of your State, while keeping the rest of the same area as territory.
If those 20 provinces could be all centers of trades/estuaries that would be perfectly fine, but it is not going to be the realistical outcome in-game.

Reactions:
I quite like the shift from income to development as the cause of corruption, which I would have assumed to be the case from the beginning. I feel that certain issues should arise from owning a rapidly expanding empire spanning the globe in a time, in which neither the bureaucracy nor communication technology would be in place to permit it to be administered efficiently. And even in modern times during such a meteoric rise as displayed by most player controlled countries the rate of expansion of the land controlled would far outstrip the ability of the institutions to keep pace.

Reactions: