• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what have we done lately? Well, plenty of stuff that will go into 1.14 and the next expansion. Lots of stuff we are not ready to talk about yet, but this week we'll give you information about some new systems.

The first one is the new areas system, which will be a part of the patch.

Areas are a new type of region, usually consisting of between 3-6 provinces, and with no province being in more than one area. A new areas mapmode will show you which provincs are in what areas. This will be used for various mechanics we will explain more next week.

And then we have a feature which will be part of the as of yet unnanounced expansion.. The Victory Cards system. This is a feature that is primarily designed for multiplayer games, as it is introduced to reduce hugboxes and permanent allianceblocks.

At the end of a campaign, the top countries end up with 15-20K in score, so our goal was to create a system that could provide 30-50% more score for those that are willing to go for it.

And thus, we introduce the Victory Cards.

Starting in 1450, and every 100 years after you will be able to get a Victory Card if you have at least 300 development. Of course if you don't qualify for 1 at a given date, you will get 1 as soon as you qualify for it.

A victory card grows in score value every month if you own, control & core every province in its area, and it takes 20 years to grow to its maximum, and 20 years to drop to zero from its maximum.

The area selected is slightly randomised, but average development matter & it must be adjacent or within 1 seazone of any part of your nation or its subjects. Only provinces belonging to potential or current rivals are take into consideration, and you are far more likely to get ones on nations ahead of you in score or belonging to other players.

The first card is worth 1000, second 2000, third 3000 and the final 4000 points.

Here I've loaded up a savegame from 1.13 in our office MP campaign, and in the first 2 months I've gotten 2 victory cards to basically fight my game-long-hugbox-friend France.

b2c37OO.jpg

I really don't know how I feel about this, the main reason I love EUIV is that there is no victory conditions, and that I can make my own goals.

Can the victory cards be modded out?

Reactions:
I don't like this at all. It feels like such a forced way to provoke conflict. I hope it isn't present in single-player, or at the very least can be modded out.

Reactions:
I really don't know how I feel about this, the main reason I love EUIV is that there is no victory conditions, and that I can make my own goals.

I don't like this at all. It feels like such a forced way to provoke conflict. I hope it isn't present in single-player, or at the very least can be modded out.

Score doesnt really affect much in the grand scheme of things

Reactions:

I think the victory card system doesn't actually have a real game impact. Just an impact on the score if you care about that.

What's more interesting is what else you will do with these 'areas'.

Reactions:

There is one.. its on the screen at all times.. You score and your rank.

Reactions:
There is one.. its on the screen at all times.. You score and your rank.

Very few people care about score, though. Most MP games I play just go until Player Bloc 1 beats Player Bloc 2, and I don't know anybody at all who plays SP for score. Also, if this is in SP it will make AI do stupid things for an arbitrary metric that the player doesn't care about.

Reactions:

I actually hoped it was going to be user-selectable victory conditions. It's nothing like that unfortunately, just 'points'.

Reactions:
i have never taken score seriously before, i dont think i ever will

Reactions:
Very few people care about score, though. Most MP games I play just go until Player Bloc 1 beats Player Bloc 2, and I don't know anybody at all who plays SP for score. Also, if this is in SP it will make AI do stupid things for an arbitrary metric that the player doesn't care about.
I hope I'm right in assuming that the victory card system is only for player nations.

Reactions:
I was hoping there would be a late game 'Partition' CB where you could massively break up a blob by either forcing it to drop its constituent nations (ie. taking Ireland and Scotland out of Britain) or directly annex the country between you and your allies (a la. Commonwealth in RL).

There should always be a flat discount on territory that was at some point part of your territory even if your core has been revoked.

In MP, the Western(ised) country with the leading score should become the Revolutionary France of that timeline. Truces should be massively cut down in length by the last 2/3 diplomatic technologies so that we could possibly see the various Coalitions against France as we did in RL.

Reactions:
Never played MP nor plan to do it soon, so the Victory Cards may be a good thing for a few people while most propably don't care, but I'm looking forward to what else we can do with the areas :)

Reactions:

Reactions:
I was hoping there would be a late game 'Partition' CB where you could massively break up a blob by either forcing it to drop its constituent nations (ie. taking Ireland and Scotland out of Britain) or directly annex the country between you and your allies (a la. Commonwealth in RL).

There should always be a flat discount on territory that was at some point part of your territory even if your core has been revoked.

In MP, the Western(ised) country with the leading score should become the Revolutionary France of that timeline. Truces should be massively cut down in length by the last 2/3 diplomatic technologies so that we could possibly see the various Coalitions against France as we did in RL.
Well, in the long term, it will be interesting to see how people like the hearts of iron IV peace system. As what I have seen it's a partition system where all the belligerents can get something. If people love it, I could see it coming into EU5 at least. It might be too much to change the peace system of eu4.

Reactions:
I kinda liked being able to make MP just about anything you wanted it to be. On the other hand I don't really give a crap about score anyway so it's not like it will affect me much.

The region idea could be interesting in terms of administrative centers and policies etc to be able to macromanage your development more (alot budgets to the development of certain areas and pick a focus, at which point the area will start improving steadily on its own). Although I doubt this will be added since it is incompattible mostly with the new feature of development. It would require a more continuous improvement instead of a bumped improvement with a set amount of monarch points. Instead adding monarch point budget that will result in a steady increase in the stats of the area.

Reactions:
Can't wait for the next expansion.

I am guessing it's a war expansion as Victory cards is part of the expansion and generally expansion features fit thematically.

Reactions:
Oh you guys, I'm sure the pop up can be configured in the options to not show. No need to quake in your little reactionary boots!

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.